Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NHL 2014 summer activity.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: NHL 2014 summer activity.

What's up with this Hartnell for Umberger trade? Has Philly lost it? Why would they ever make such a trade? It makes no sense on the surface.

The Philadelphia Flyers have traded forwardScott Hartnell to the Columbus Blue Jackets for forward R.J. Umberger and a 2015 4th round pick.

The 32-year old Hartnell was drafted 6th overall in the 2000 draft by the Nashville Predators. Hartnell has five years left on his contract totaling $22.5 million and a cap hit of $4.75 million.

The 32-year old Umberger was drafted 16th overall in the 2001 draft by the Vancouver Canucks. Umberger has three years left on his contract totaling $13.5 million and a cap hit of $4.6 million.

Thoughts from media:

• Dan Rosen: “I can’t rationalize this on what we know. Maybe Hartnell begged for a trade. Maybe the Flyers wanted him gone. Maybe….just maybe.”

• Elliotte Friedman: “No salary retention for either team in CLB/PHI trade…clean break both ways”

• Chris Johsnton: “It’s worth noting that Scott Hartnell waived a no-movement clause to join #CBJ.”

• Dan Rosen: “I can’t describe the reasoning behind this deal from the Flyers perspective. I have to dive into some details but on surface I don’t get it.”

• Justin Bourne: “You do have to respect Philly’s decision to get appreciably worse for the same cap hit tho”

• Gus Katsaros: “Hartnell relies on brute strength to power his way to the net instead of a finesse approach. That’s going to wear down with age.”

• Nicholas W. Goss: “I like the Hartnell-Umberger trade from the Flyers perspective. Hartnell’s contract was only going to get worse.”

• David Pagnotta: “Nice move for the Jackets… Hartnell should win over the Columbus crowd pretty easily.”

• Joe Yerdon: “I know Umberger played well in Philly before but this just has all the makings of there being another move coming. This on its own is odd.”

• Joe Yerdon: “Hartnell is the better player in this by a long shot. I’m lost on this one.”

• Sean Gentille: “Umberger is way worse than Hartnell, but he’s signed for two less years. This is so tough!”
    Last edited by swiper; 06-24-2014 at 04:53 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (06-24-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

• Gare Joyce: The Jets and Canucks have made series plays for the Panthers 1st overall and Sabres 2nd overall pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,433 Times in 11,991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

big news from yzerman and co this morning.

the ning sign callahan to a 6 year deal
    the ning also buy out ryan malone.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

oilers trade for nikitins rights from the jackets.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

gabby with a long extension 7 years with the kings.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

now kings resign matt greene from grand ledge michigan to a 4 year deal. kings also will not buy out richards.

8. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (06-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

• Larry Brooks: Source saying the Rangers haven’t inquired about Paul Stastny. They don’t have the salary cap space.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

• Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune: Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has contacted at least the agents for Matt Niskanen, Willie Mitchell, Thomas Vanek and Paul Stastny. If Vanek wants to come to Minnesota, he may have to take a one- to three- year deal. The Wild have significant interest in Niskanen. Niskanen will want a long-term deal, likely north of $5 million. The Wild have many young players that will need new deals in a couple years, so they’ll have to watch what they spend.

• Pierre LeBrun: The Wild were among the teams that called on Thomas Vanek.

11. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (06-26-2014),trapezeus (06-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

• Harvey Fialkov: The offers are pouring in for the Panthers first overall pick.

• Gary Lawless: The Flyers (most agressive), Maple Leafs, Canucks and Flames are all trying to move up.

• Todd Cordell: Darren Dreger said that the Oilers third overall pick is in play, as well as Sam Gagner.

• Todd Cordell: Bob McKenzie said the Canucks are trying to trade up to the first overall pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ryan Kesler is going to screw himself by limiting his list:

McKenzie: Ryan Kesler’s list has six teams, with the Ducks and Blackhawks the most interested at this time. Nothing is imminent. The Ducks and Blackhawks may feel they are the only two teams in the running, therefore not offering as much as they would if more teams were involved. Canucks won’t deal him unless they get what they want.
    But a lot of other moves on hold waiting to see if/where he goes. The Ducks want him, but may go for Spezza:

TSN Insider Trading: McKenzie: Jason Spezza talk has picked up in the last 24-48 hours, with four teams talking to the Sens. Three teams from the West including the Blues and Ducks.
    Once Kesler finds a new home the dominoes will start falling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Calgary wants to get to 2nd overall to take Leon Draisatl.. Or Brian Burke is trying to mind**** the Oilers who are supposedly in love with Draisatl. And I don't get it not a big fan of DraisaitlI think he has a history of not playing well in "big" games

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Calgary wants to get to 2nd overall to take Leon Draisatl.. Or Brian Burke is trying to mind**** the Oilers who are supposedly in love with Draisatl. And I don't get it not a big fan of DraisaitlI think he has a history of not playing well in "big" games
    If you listen to the draft podcast at wgr, the guy from central scouting says he wouldn't be shocked to see Draistail go 1st overall.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,911 Times in 5,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    If you listen to the draft podcast at wgr, the guy from central scouting says he wouldn't be shocked to see Draistail go 1st overall.
    And then Ekblad goes to us...

Thanks
    Thanked 17,667 Times in 8,461 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    And then Ekblad goes to us...
    Or gets the Sabres a great return in a trade
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

18. Post thanked by:

coastal (06-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Or gets the Sabres a great return in a trade
    Maybe we should be working on getting Calgary's #1 pick in 2015.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

berglund re-ups with the blues.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

constantly trading for a future that never comes isn't fun. we know next year has a lot of pain involved. why extend that pain or not take the risk now on getting a #2 pick for a future pick.

to me, if you get a guy who is 23-24 and developping well, it helps faster than waiting for ekblad or reinhart to get up to speed. but we have time. i think the fan base knows this is a 3 year project at minimum.

but i do love crazy headlines. so i'll get on board with whatever.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    constantly trading for a future that never comes isn't fun. we know next year has a lot of pain involved. why extend that pain or not take the risk now on getting a #2 pick for a future pick.

to me, if you get a guy who is 23-24 and developping well, it helps faster than waiting for ekblad or reinhart to get up to speed. but we have time. i think the fan base knows this is a 3 year project at minimum.

but i do love crazy headlines. so i'll get on board with whatever.
    im thinking 2 more years of bad hockey, this year being really tough. the 16-17 season, after another high pick, i think the youth will really accelerate and we will see a much more skilled and cohesive hockey team. but 14-15 is going to be really tough, and 15-16 isnt going to be much better.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i agree with your assessment, but in my dream scenario,

1. our #2 pick this year is hot out the gate. develops chemistry with some underwhelming pieces currently on the team, they setup a nice #2 line and #3 line.
    2. the sabres still continue to struggle without a true #1 line, and cannot score goals. but since they signed no one of consequence this year in FA, they have plenty of cap space to use on FA in 15-16.
    3. Neuvirth or another young goalie shows promise as the season wears on. HE gets better in the second half of the season, but isn't good enough to offset the lack of scoring. It allows the goalie to become the top goalie in 15-16.
    4. based on the above, key young players get seasoned and develop good chemistry in key spots in line 2-4. The 1st rounders look to get better and become legit 1st liners. the defense gets used to their pairings and developed in 14-15. The goalie situation looks good and is ready to take off the following. This allows the mcdavid draft and the isle pick to rocket the sabres forward in 15-16.
    5. they take a top notch FA for signature #1 center and provide some leadership and pizazz.

this makes the team relevant for 15-16. I really would like to avoid more than one more playoff-less season in the rebuild.

i know this relies on every single thing going right, but i think nolan's talents are with young hungry kids and some vets who felt passed over. he will get the most out of them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

kesler to anahiem for sbisa, first, and bonino.