• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

In 2014 Manuel gets the unabridged version of the playbook

Originally posted by nfl.com

During EJ Manuel's rookie campaign, the Buffalo Bills' coaching staff consciously decided not to throw the entire playbook at the quarterback.

This year, coach Doug Marrone and coordinator Nathaniel Hackett have given Manuel the unabridged edition of their offense, per the team's official website.

According to Bills Insider Chris Brown, coaches have thrown the entire playbook at the offense during this week's OTA in preparation for next week's minicamp.

While the team didn't want to overwhelm its rookie signal-caller last season -- often limiting him to half-field-reads -- this season it must find out what Manuel can handle.

"It's more so just expecting a lot from our offense," Manuel said of the recent practices. "Yeah we're putting in a lot of plays, but I have a sense of urgency just like the rest of us. So when things aren't going well or how we want things to go in practice it's frustrating."

With a deep backfield and a young, talented receiving corps, Manuel has the weapons around him to succeed if he can improve on an injury-plagued, roller-coaster rookie season.

Now that there are no more floaties on Manuel, the coaching staff will see if its first-round quarterback will sink or swim.

Side note: The Bills canceled Wednesday's OTAs, apparently for a team bonding adventure.
    The Buffalo Bills' coaching staff didn't open up the offense for EJ Manuel in 2013. In his second season the coaching staff plans to find out what the rookie can do.
    Last edited by swiper; 06-12-2014, 05:01 AM.
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: In 2014 Manuel gets the unabridged version of the playbook

It doesn't matter what plays he run if he can't improve his accuracy.

Comment

• Gibby
      • Jun 2006

Hope all that extra weight in the full playbook doesn't hurt his legs.

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

He could be the smartest QB in the NFL but if he can't hit the broad side of a barn, we're doomed.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
          He could be the smartest QB in the NFL but if he can't hit the broad side of a barn, we're doomed.
          Fitz says hi.

Watkins caught a ton of short passes/bubble screens at Clemson. . Mike Williams is one of the best in the NFL at going up for jump balls and coming down with it. Without a doubt, these moves were made with Manuel in mind. Manuel did find Woods very well last year.

They have basically set the table for the guy and it's up to him to sink or swim.

I don't care about OTA reports myself...I can't see the players. Plus they are trying to run new plays for practice and not playing actual football.

We know the score with Manuel and the QB situation. The rest of the roster has improved dramatically over the last 15-16 months since the 2 Doug's began reshaping the roster. The QB play is the key. I think we get that...but some here just are married to redundant daily posts.

How man times must we here the same song, over and over ? It's like the Classic Rock station playing Stairway To Heaven once every hour for 20 years.

It comes down to QB play....WE GET IT.

It's June.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

It's almost comical how negative some of you are when talking about Manuel. I feel like a broken record at this point, but I'll say it again. The guy was drafted as a PROJECT QB with a ridiculously high ceiling. He had absolutely no business starting last season, he wasn't drafted with the intention of him starting last season, and you can blame the Bills for screwing up and putting him in a position where he needed to start last season. Manuel was not ready physically, he wasn't ready mentally. This idea that he is inaccurate is also hilarious.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

You don't draft a project QB with the 16th pick of the draft. That statement is rife with pure ignorance.

Comment

• Swiper
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2010

Nor has any talent evaluater EVER made a claim that Manuel has a "ridiculously high ceiling." Because he doesn't. Another ridiculously ignorant claim.

Comment

• sudzy
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                  This idea that he is inaccurate is also hilarious.
                  You and I, must not be watching the same games.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

I can't say I've ever heard the likes of this - a team, a coach admitting that they truncated their offensive plans for a rookie qb - let alone a 1st round qb.

Amazing...
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Luisito23
                      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                      • Apr 2003

LOL...A lot of ignorance in this thread.
                      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                        Nor has any talent evaluater EVER made a claim that Manuel has a "ridiculously high ceiling." Because he doesn't. Another ridiculously ignorant claim.
                        Ignorance is your middle name. Alot of talent evaluators predraft and post draft were saying he has a high ceiling and needed some time. He was a risky QB pick but can have huge rewards. Donkeys like you who trash him after ONE ROOKIE season is pathetic. He gets one more year to show improvement in my book.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          You don't draft a project QB with the 16th pick of the draft. That statement is rife with pure ignorance.
                          Kid, I've forgotten more about the game of football than you'll ever know about the game of football.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                            • Mar 2013

Does this mean EJ gets to see the boobies in full bloom without the bra?

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                              Kid, I've forgotten more about the game of football than you'll ever know about the game of football.

Not a chance Sally.

Comment

Working...
                              X