• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Per ESPN: Marcus Easley beating out Mike Williams

When Williams arrived via trade in April, my first reaction was that he could be a top target in the Bills' offense. I'm less convinced now. Williams didn't stand out in OTAs and seeing him in action, there isn't a particular skill that he brings to the table that is different from the rest of the receiver group. If Watkins and Robert Woods become fixtures on the outside and Chris Hogan can continue to contribute in the slot, Williams starts to slide down the depth chart. The Bills will keep Marquise Goodwin and Marcus Easley on their final roster, so Williams will have to fight Hogan and T.J. Graham for the final spot. He could change my opinion in minicamp or early in training camp, but for right now I wouldn't call his spot on the team a sure bet.
    Earlier Friday, we highlighted some of the Buffalo Bills' "rising" after three weeks of organized team activities (OTAs).Now it's time to look at the other end of the spectrum: which players left something to be desired in OTAs?
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Re: Per ESPN: Marcus Easley beating out Mike Williams

Easley is a June beast.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

That statement might be based on him making it on ST play - not WR play
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
        Pinkerton's son
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
        Easley is a June beast.
        He always does well in OTAs, training camp and preseason and then never does anything otherwise.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Seriously? NO player wins a job in OTA's.

Marrone has said as much. He said a player could lose his job in OTA's, but nobody can win a job in OTA's.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

And that article was written by Mike Rodak.

The IDIOT that also predicted the Bills will go 3-13 this year.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
              That statement might be based on him making it on ST play - not WR play
              Still takes up a WR spot just the same.

Comment

• Ed
                Dude
                • Sep 2002

Easley was our best ST player last year and Marrone really values him in that role, so he probably makes it again. I don't remember how many WR's they kept last year, but I would guess they'll keep 6 this year. Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams, Hogan, and Easley.

I can't see them cutting Williams. He's our only veteran WR with any proven success or production.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                  Still takes up a WR spot just the same.
                  No necessarily. Teams generally keep 5 WRs. There a certain number of roster spots that are not for a particular position. It could be a 6th WR, 4th TE or 9th LB (or whatever)
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

nothing but a special teamer. we had injuries on the squad last year, never saw him get onto the field regularly at that time.

the issue is that williams isn't clearly excelling from easley.

all these little stories for OTA are leading to concern that the offense will more or less struggle. obviously we are far away and haven't had training camp, but we thought that williams wasn't necessarily a huge trade other than losing a 6th round pick. and he's not showing any big difference from our ST wr. and normally, i'd just look the other way, but with his off field issues, it becomes a concern that he didn't show and want to impress the new team.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

So EJ's performance isn't something that can be measured in the OTA's yet a WR who's new to the system & hasn't been able to perform better than another player can be judged as so their dropping down the depth chart ? Is this the logic without pads or hitting ?
                      Last edited by Skooby; 06-16-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i'd just think a top WR with great numbers (without off field issues), comes in and performs in OTAs ahead of the ST Ace. add that hes got off field issues (quite recently from the actual trade) and you get the sense that he isn't really a solution whatsoever, and he's not going to be a leader to help get the WR to the level you want him at.

i would rather have an expensive stevie who plays through everything than a deliquent like williams. but that's me.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Rodak is not a good blogger outside his beloved Pats and I've been told pro or con he doesn't do his homework.

He could be right but it's more or a dart throw and it's June for crying out loud. I do know from someone at the workouts that Hogan has indeed made his presence known and thus many are just connecting dots.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

Takes time to learn systems people, you don't just show up at OTA's and dominate when you haven't been in the offense before. Easley has the benefit of knowing the system.

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Just put your money all on Adam Schein then. He seems to be telling you what you want to hear.

Comment

Working...
                              X