View Poll Results: Watkins for two 1st's and a 4th, or Evans for one 1st and a mid-rounder?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Watkins: for two 1st-rounders and our 4th next year

14 66.67%
  • Evans: for one 1st-rounder and a later pick, likely a 3rd or 4th rounder this year

7 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watkins or Evans, ... just curious ...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Watkins or Evans, ... just curious ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Their wasn't a Sr. season for Sammy at Clemson.. He left for the NFL after his Junior season
    Correct, my bad, obviously. You know what I meant, clearly I meant his last season there. Everything is based on that. Evans was a Jr. too fwiw.

Come on now, really?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I don't like drafting WR's real early to begin with, and trading picks to move up to get one is even worse. That being said, some people really need to quit *****ing about 'same old, same old' out of one side of their mouth, and then when the front office does something different ***** about that out of the other.

Being critical is one thing...perceiving oneself as a so-called 'realist' is another...pissing and moaning about everything constantly just to ***** is asinine.
    I agree. I post a simple questiion and the *****ers come out in droves.

Good call!

Oh the irony.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So Fletch assumes because Evans is 3 and a half inches taller than Watkins Evans would do a better job catching Manuels errant throws.. Here is a quote from Mikey 82 regarding Watkins " and is bailing out EJ Manuel several times each day on poorly thrown balls that he still manages to catch"

Looks like Watkins was the best WR in the past draft class for saving Manuels ass

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Actually, if comparing the skill sets of the two wide receivers, Watkins has a better chance of putting up bigger numbers and contributing more out of the gate than Evans. Watkins has the advantage early just based on pure athleticism and perceived use by the offensive scheme, and Evans' learning curve is going to be larger and longer. How that translates over an entire career for both is dependent on a lot of factors, and remains to be seen. That being said, I would bet that Watkins will also be more susceptible to injury.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Actually, if comparing the skill sets of the two wide receivers, Watkins has a better chance of putting up bigger numbers and contributing more out of the gate than Evans. Watkins has the advantage early just based on pure athleticism and perceived use by the offensive scheme, and Evans' learning curve is going to be larger and longer. How that translates over an entire career for both is dependent on a lot of factors, and remains to be seen. That being said, I would bet that Watkins will also be more susceptible to injury.
    Why do you think Watkins will be more susceptable to injury than Evans?

Because of his size or his style of play?

If it is his size, Gronk is a BIG guy who gets injured all the time.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

I wouldn't think because of size - he's 6'1", 211 lb. My guess would be that he's going to be expected to roam the middle, and also catch some short stuff where a defender closes quickly.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

6. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I wouldn't think because of size - he's 6'1", 211 lb. My guess would be that he's going to be expected to roam the middle, and also catch some short stuff where a defender closes quickly.
    And he also runs like a RB when he gets the ball in his hands.

I think he will be exciting to watch.

But you never know about guys ability to stay healthy.

Look at Favre, he ran around a lot for a long period of time and never was seriously injured.

Then you have Rob Johnson.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And he also runs like a RB when he gets the ball in his hands.
    I think he will be exciting to watch.
    But you never know about guys ability to stay healthy.
    Look at Favre, he ran around a lot for a long period of time and never was seriously injured.
    Then you have Rob Johnson.
    Wasn't that said about Josh Reed?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wasn't that said about Josh Reed?
    Yeah it was. Good memory.

The difference between Watkins and Reed is comparable to the difference between CJ Spiller & Tashard Choice.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The difference between Watkins and Reed is comparable to the difference between CJ Spiller & Tashard Choice.
    I always thought they could have done a better job with Reed.

11. Post thanked by:

Fletch (07-28-2014),Mr. Pink (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,528 Times in 17,421 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins is probably going to work the higher traffic areas, where Evans will be outside. More hits, etc.

Maybe 'susceptible' wasn't the best term to use...perhaps 'exposed' would have been better.
    Last edited by YardRat; 07-27-2014 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, he was still young enough when the Bills let him go.

Nobody else got anything out of him either.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would have taken Allen Robinson later in the draft & would have kept Stevie and our first next year.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Manuel, 306/9 = 33 attempts per game played...Glennon 416 attempts/13 games = 32 per game played. Both were rookies. BUF has recently been more active in drafting wrs in the top 3 rounds than TB.
    I like Watkins, I wouldn't have made the trade. I think Woods was the steal of the 2013 draft.
    We took Robert Woods over Keenan Allen. Let that sink in.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Stevie had 1,000 yards in each of the last three seasons, he didn't even come close last season.

Just curious though, how would you then divvy up the other 2,200 yards in terms of expectations among the other receiving players on the team?
    Stevie didn't get there because he was hurt and missed a quarter of the season, still had 52 catches - which would have put him just below 70 catches playing every game. As I said, someone in the offense has to replace those 70 catches and naturally it's gonna be the guy who's replacing him. Watkins also won't average only 11.5 Y/R

The running backs combined will have around 600 receiving yards. Chandler around 400. Woods around 500. Williams around 500. Everyone else around 200.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    So Fletch assumes because Evans is 3 and a half inches taller than Watkins Evans would do a better job catching Manuels errant throws.. Here is a quote from Mikey 82 regarding Watkins " and is bailing out EJ Manuel several times each day on poorly thrown balls that he still manages to catch"

Looks like Watkins was the best WR in the past draft class for saving Manuels ass
    This is comical. Apparently you don't understand the overall nature of training camps.

I'm not even going to waste my time explaining what everyone knows.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What's the reasoning behind this? I mean I make statements like this and present evidence. You just make these statements but give no indications as to why you think these things.

Part of what you say is ridiculous. We ranked 29th in red zone production last season. (TDs that is) That's putrid along with many of our other offensive stats. Evans clearly has a much better history in terms of red zone production, that's a fact. Watkins had 2 red zone TDs all season long last year, one in a blowout loss to FSU. 7 of 12 of his TDs were from his own goal line to the opponents' 40.

So if you're talking about "bigger numbers" for TDs, IMO it's foolish to think that Watkins is going to have the same long TD success here as he did in the NFL, and equally foolish to think that Evans won't be similar in the red zone. So if it's scoring you're talking about it would seem to be the opposite of what you say.

If you mean bigger numbers against better teams, there too, what's Watkins' history of that? It's hardly rich. Evans OTOH lit up Alabama like a Christmas tree. So not sure there's a basis of that from that angle. We haven't even addressed the QBs throwing to each either.

If you ask me, Evans would have a better chance of putting up "bigger numbers" and "contributing more out of the gate" than Evans if he were on a team with a QB that knew how to hit his WRs in stride on a regular basis. We don't have that here though, none of 'em. On a dozen other teams I might agree, but not the way that things are now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure, except that Reed's college numbers were better than Watkins'.

- - - Updated - - -

They could have done a better job with a lot of our players.

But when all you do is hire cheap coaches, you get what you pay for. Instead of breaking the bank for players like Fitzpatrick and Mario, if instead they'd spend a fraction of that and add it to what they pay coaches like Marrone and Gailey, then maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins is probably going to work the higher traffic areas, where Evans will be outside. More hits, etc.

Maybe 'susceptible' wasn't the best term to use...perhaps 'exposed' would have been better.
    Did you read anything at all about Evans? Did you look at any of his stats and how or where he performed the best?

In essence what you're saying here is that both WRs are going to be used in completely the opposite manner in which they buttered their bread in college. Do you see a good reason for saying that, or implying it anyway?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if our team uses Watkins and tries to do what he has not excelled at, but I doubt that Smith in Tampa is that stupid.