Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: If we could trade CJ for a 1st pick next year, would it be worth it ?

SpikedLemonade

Re: If we could trade CJ for a 1st pick next year, would it be worth it ?

I would trade him for a 2nd round pick.

There is going to be a wide divide between what Spiller thinks he is worth contract wise and what the Bills think he is worth.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    CJ's contract is expiring & if something easy was going to be done it would have already. So is getting a functional player now & a first round pick next year be worth it ? He's sorta been a mild bust for a top ten pick & I wouldn't call his production worth us not getting a new opportunity in the draft next year, so wouldn't it be like trading him for Sammy & our 4th round pick next year ?

I love Spiller but not his production for the team & I think we could probably pick up another player for our O-line or a LB as well on a well from stocked team that's contending.
    dumbest thing to do in the new nfl is to draft a rb in the first. The second thing is to give a rb a 2nd contract

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I'm with Jan on this, you don't continue to trade away assets for the future if you think the team you have is good enough to make a run at the postseason.
    I think the point really is that others around the league probably think more of Spiller than the Bills do at this point. So the suggestion is to dump him now while his perceived value is high and the feeling is that the Bills RBs are a strong point and likely could survive without Spiller.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
    dumbest thing to do in the new nfl is to draft a rb in the first. The second thing is to give a rb a 2nd contract
    Buddy Nix is that you?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
    Re 2nd contract...Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles come to mind.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GreedoII View Post
    Perfect fit in NO in my opinion. a low 1st rounder perhaps
    Exactly what I was thinking, they really could use him there.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Re 2nd contract...Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles come to mind.
    Yet in that sentence, Spiller doesn't.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    That's another thing. The poster said signing any rb to a 2dn contract was dumb.

IMO, for this season, dumping Spiller would be dumb, unless it was a very advantageous offer. Spiller is not without decent skill - what team doesn't game plan against him? On the bench is Fred (with a leg injury history), and after that, folks with "promise."

Whether or not BUF will or will not re-sign him is something in the future.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    He still has something to prove in my mind.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,468 Times in 14,177 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    I think the point really is that others around the league probably think more of Spiller than the Bills do at this point. So the suggestion is to dump him now while his perceived value is high and the feeling is that the Bills RBs are a strong point and likely could survive without Spiller.
    The perceived value by other teams is based on nothing more than a rumor of interest in a deal. You don't know if we're getting high value or low value on Spiller so I reject the premise of your point.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Serious question,

How did you come to determine that other around the league think more of Spiller than the Bills do?

i wouldn't have any idea how to gauge that without talking to many other GM's around the league.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If a team was willing to trade away their first round pick next year for CJ I would do that trade in a heart beat if I were the Bills. CJ has no vision.

13. Post thanked by:

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,922 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who is stupid enough to give us a 1st?

15. Post thanked by:

Fletch (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Who is stupid enough to give us a 1st?
    Maybe Dan Snyder would.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSRIP View Post
    Serious question,

How did you come to determine that other around the league think more of Spiller than the Bills do?

i wouldn't have any idea how to gauge that without talking to many other GM's around the league.
    That's the beautty of the forum, it's astonishing how people know things.

They know that, they know what's in the trust despite it having been reported that the info isn't even out yet to non-bidding parties.

They know how Sammy played at Clemson because of all the teams in college last year they watched Clemson and paid particular attention to how Sammy blocked despite the notion of his being a bill was like a fart in the wind back then.

It's what makes the place fun. lol

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    That's another thing. The poster said signing any rb to a 2dn contract was dumb.

IMO, for this season, dumping Spiller would be dumb, unless it was a very advantageous offer. Spiller is not without decent skill - what team doesn't game plan against him? On the bench is Fred (with a leg injury history), and after that, folks with "promise."

Whether or not BUF will or will not re-sign him is something in the future.
    They're not going to get rid of Spiller. The move makes no sense. Whaley's all in now, and Marrone by implication and association as a head coach, to make the playoffs. Not that Spiller's the difference, but they know that trading Spiller reduces our backfield to an aging Jackson, who's hurt again by the way, and Dixon and Brown who collectively have 338 carries for 1,736 yards rushing in the NFL in 6 combined seasons with Brown posting a high of 115 for 564 two seasons ago. Together they've averaged 2 TDs a season.

Spiller's going nowhere and if he does Whaley's the next one out the door.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd trade him, sure. And I have no doubt whoever grabbed him would make him work and it would be painful.

We seem incapable of using him. If you watch when he goes out wide, no one can cover him. But we keep running him into the line and it goes sideways for nothing. When we beat people up at the line of scrimmage, or via Jackson, a contact back (we must be able to find another one), then turn him loose at the line when they are tired, he flies like the wind through gaps.

They always run him into the line, rarely send him out wide, and when we do he's wide open but too far in the progression reads. They don't beat people up a half then take advantage of of in the next, they try and wind them in the first half and plod in the second.

I always said he was a great player, terrible pick, on other boards. I like Spiller, he's not Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, or Travis Henry.

He's not going anywhere. I have come to feel bad for Spiller. You'd have to be a dimwit not to be able to use him to hurt people. He's become my measure of what we might do on offense. I wait to see if we remain dimwits. Poor fool, he could have been remarkable.

Not here though, evidently. Why resign him ? He's the perfect combo (runner/receiver) for a fast no huddle. I think Hackett is oblivious too. We'll all be furious when he lights up the league somewhere else, but sure, trade him, get it out of the way and take the pain.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'd trade him, sure. And I have no doubt whoever grabbed him would make him work and it would be painful.

We seem incapable of using him. If you watch when he goes out wide, no one can cover him. But we keep running him into the line and it goes sideways for nothing. When we beat people up at the line of scrimmage, or via Jackson, a contact back (we must be able to find another one), then turn him loose at the line when they are tired, he flies like the wind through gaps.

They always run him into the line, rarely send him out wide, and when we do he's wide open but too far in the progression reads. They don't beat people up a half then take advantage of of in the next, they try and wind them in the first half and plod in the second.

I always said he was a great player, terrible pick, on other boards. I like Spiller, he's not Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, or Travis Henry.

He's not going anywhere. I have come to feel bad for Spiller. You'd have to be a dimwit not to be able to use him to hurt people. He's become my measure of what we might do on offense. I wait to see if we remain dimwits. Poor fool, he could have been remarkable.

Not here though, evidently. Why resign him ? He's the perfect combo (runner/receiver) for a fast no huddle. I think Hackett is oblivious too. We'll all be furious when he lights up the league somewhere else, but sure, trade him, get it out of the way and take the pain.
    He's not going to do anything that involves being physically capable of existing in the NFL, lets dream later.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

He's purely a role player and clearly not a 3-down RB. As such his value is limited. He's pretty useless on 3rd-downs specifically because he's not good in short yardage situations.

Everyone says things such as that, about him being better wide, but have you ever looked at his splits?

Here they are from last season on position of run:

Carries Yards YPC Long TD
    RIGHT SIDE 55 232 4.2 46 1
    LEFT SIDE 51 215 4.2 54 1
    MIDDLE 67 388 5.8 77 0
    LEFT SIDELINE 21 55 2.6 19 0
    RIGHT SIDELINE 8 43 5.4 18 0

His longest run and best ypc were UTM.

That tells me that he's had some great blocking because he's not the kind of RB that will get you those kinds of yards on his own as you implied.

It also means that he's not as effective on the outsides as many like to claim. He was pedestrian on Right Side and Left Side and horrible Left Sideline. He didn't have enough carries Right Sideline to make that relevant. So while he's not an UTM banger, he's done his best UTM. That's why he's not worth nearly what some like to claim, because with those kinds of holes most decent RBs will make a lot of them.

Notice too that none of his TDs were on those UTM runs, which tells us that he got run down often there refuting this notion that once he hits open space he's gone, a fallacy ever since he was drafted.

Even in 2012, 40% of his carries were UTM where he had most of his longer success. His Right/Left Sidelines were only 13% of his runs and relatively insignificant. UTM is where he had his best YPC except for Right Sideline where he ran only 14 times, having run nearly 6 times as much UTM.

So this notion that he's done much better on the wide runs is wrong. He's had great blocking at times giving him cadillac sized holes. If he were better on the outsides, which is what everyone that liked him as a pick preached, then he'd be worth more. But an UTM rusher that isn't good on 3rd downs in short-yardage situations is only worth so much. Couple that with his injury issues and he's got limited value anywhere. Again, he's a role player. Role players typically don't command the kind of money that he's likely to be asking.

What this team needs is a replacement for Jackson, a true 3-down RB. Right now that RB is not on the roster. If Jackson has any kind of significant injuries this season, we're screwed.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Probably get a third for Spiller.

23. Post thanked by: