If we could trade CJ for a 1st pick next year, would it be worth it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: If we could trade CJ for a 1st pick next year, would it be worth it ?

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    What if he wants $9 Million a year? That's not a risk, that'd be crazy.
    THEN LET HIM WALK WHO CARES?????

We would get like a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. What good will that do us?????

A good season of play by Spiller is MUCH more valuable to me at this point, even at the risk of losing him for nothing. I WANT THE TEAM TO WIN NOW!!!!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
      THEN LET HIM WALK WHO CARES?????

We would get like a 3rd or 4th rounder for him. What good will that do us?????

A good season of play by Spiller is MUCH more valuable to me at this point, even at the risk of losing him for nothing. I WANT THE TEAM TO WIN NOW!!!!
      We all do, it's just not that wise to move someone for great value before they get to walk for nothing / especially so if we know there's 0 chance to re-sign him. His highest value is before the season starts & we can utilize our depth at one position to try & add talent at another at some point.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

We all do, it's just not that wise to move someone for great value before they get to walk for nothing / especially so if we know there's 0 chance to re-sign him. His highest value is before the season starts & we can utilize our depth at one position to try & add talent at another at some point.
        What do you foolishly think we could get for Spiller right now?

Please tell me.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          Legendary Zoner
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

Trading Lynch wasn't stupid either.
          Keep telling yourself that.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

1700 yards from scrimmage is a complimentary player?????

WHAT????
            One year.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

[QUOTE=MitchMurrayDowntown;3969196]We all do, it's just not that wise to move someone for great value before they get to walk for nothing / especially so if we know there's 0 chance to re-sign him. His highest value is before the season starts & we can utilize our depth at one position to try & add talent at another at some point.[/QUOTE

Well, beyond Spiller and (injured) Freddie, the BUF running depth has some promise, but nobody that's got a couple hundred of carries in a season under their belt. I think Spiller's name got bandied about recently by the pundits, because a couple of rbs have been injured in camp, none of which (IMO) were irreplaceable.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

What do you foolishly think we could get for Spiller right now?

Please tell me.
                If a contending team loses it's star RB, a late first round pick. The Saints are also the best choice & Byrd would obviously be asked about CJ.

Comment

• GingerP
                  • Aug 2012

If a contending team loses it's star RB, a late first round pick. The Saints are also the best choice & Byrd would obviously be asked about CJ.
                  The Saints lack cap room and are pretty deep at RB themselves (Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, Khiry Robinson & Travis Cadet). They aren't dropping a 1st on a RB, nobody is going to do that.

If the Bills do let him go they stand to get a compensatory selection as high as a 3rd, depending on what else they do in FA, although I am sure their preference is to re-sign him. The market for RB is depressed, so it is doubtful that Spiller will get huge money. The smart bet is to keep him, get a good year out of him and see if they can re-sign him. They aren't going to get value in a trade at this point.

Comment

• Mike
                    • Jan 2009

To answer the thread question:

YES: do it! If Anyone offers a First for CJ, take it!!! And run to the bank!

Reality: No RB have been taken in 1st round in last 2 seasons! In Aprils draft first RB taken was at pick #54, which is latest EVER!!!
                    Please Make Sense

Comment

• Mike
                      • Jan 2009

Maybe once upon a time in a land far far away...

RBs aren't what they used to be! They are no longer as valuable in the new NFL, plus they have a short shelf life!

15 years ago... It could have been a different story
                      Please Make Sense

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                        The Saints lack cap room and are pretty deep at RB themselves (Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, Khiry Robinson & Travis Cadet). They aren't dropping a 1st on a RB, nobody is going to do that.

If the Bills do let him go they stand to get a compensatory selection as high as a 3rd, depending on what else they do in FA, although I am sure their preference is to re-sign him. The market for RB is depressed, so it is doubtful that Spiller will get huge money. The smart bet is to keep him, get a good year out of him and see if they can re-sign him. They aren't going to get value in a trade at this point.
                        CJ's on his rookie contract & the cap goes up next year, so it's not going to come down to that.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Do you really think we would get a top 5 pick for Spiller? No freaking way. Anything outside that range is EJ territory.

I say re sign Spiller and get best Free Agent if EJ is terrible.
                          again, that's why you would just be looking. if you got what would be normal, a 3rd or 4th, then you proceed as normaly. however, if you get a desperate team that just lost a RB late in camp and think they have a good year but need a back, they may be willing to mortgage the future.

in that unlikely case, you should consider it.

otherwise, i agree with Ingtar. you would be weakening your run game by hoping freddie can last an entire year with a lot of running and some unproven guys behind him. you'd really have to feel likeyour OL took a huge step up and everyone can run behind the line play. but based on the reviews at camp, it doesn't sound like they are at that point to make that gamble.

but people love whaley's all in view.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Just as I figured pretty foolish. NOT HAPPENING. More like what we received from Seattle for Lynch.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Just as I figured pretty foolish. NOT HAPPENING. More like what we received from Seattle for Lynch.
                              Yeah, Lynch fresh off a DUI & striking a pedestrian increased his value.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                                • Jul 2002

Yeah, Lynch fresh off a DUI & striking a pedestrian increased his value.
                                And Spiller coming off a sub 1000 yard year helps his.

Couple that with the Colts getting fleeced in the TRich deal and there is no way we get a first.

I would be Completely shocked. To add to that if the first wasn't top of the draft I would rather just keep Spiller. Like I said I want to win NOW. So sick of putting things off until next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X