Power to Give Rep

Camp Day #6 - RT struggles

Looks like same old Bills...

• Defense dominated
    • RT struggles
    • New DC blitzing like the old DC

Bills training camp observations: Day 6

by Joe Buscaglia , posted Jul 26 2014 9:18PM
    For the first time during the 2014 version of training camp, the Buffalo Bills gave their players their first taste of real football. Before the practice, head coach Doug Marrone announced that the Bills would be going “live” under the lights at St. John Fisher College.

The players dressed in full pads, they got themselves mentally prepared and full contact (except for the quarterbacks, of course) was on for the first time since last December. Who stood out during the real hitting session?

Here’s a recap of Day 6 for the Bills:

Issues at right tackle
    - Despite the overwhelming thought that the competition between Erik Pears and Cyrus Kouandjio would be one of the key things to watch in camp, it hasn’t really gotten too competitive just yet. Kouandjio has struggled to stand out while Pears has been solid to this point in Pittsford, NY. On Saturday night, Pears left the door wide open for Kouandjio to steal some reps with the first unit in the near future but the rookie turned in an even worse performance than his competition. The play of both right tackles was downright dreadful during 11-on-11 work, leading to multiple sacks throughout the practice and a frustrating night for Doug Marrone, Nathaniel Hackett and EJ Manuel. Kouandjio has not been the player the team was expecting when they selected him in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft. In fact, he has been outplayed by seventh-round selection Seantrel Henderson, who has spent the first week of practice as the first-team left tackle.

8 sacks in 17 plays
    - It wasn’t only the fault of the right tackle position on Saturday: during one portion of non-contact team drills, the defense came away with the aforementioned statistics. Do the Bills have a solid defensive line? They absolutely do. However, it wasn’t just the first unit that was working their way into the pocket at will. Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, Ikponmwosa Igbinosun, Xavius Boyd, Bobby Felder and a pair of others were the gentlemen that came away with the sack tallies -- and a reminder: Boyd and Felder were just signed this past week. Thad Lewis and the third team trotted out for their reps, but a bobbled snap was all Marrone needed to see. He stopped that period of work and had the team take a five-minute break to try and get what was easily the worst offensive showing of training camp, thus far, out of their minds.

Henderson showing ability
    - If you removed the biographies and watched rookie tackles Seantrel Henderson and Cyrus Kouandjio side-by-side on Saturday, you would think their actual draft positions were reversed. The Bills have been without Cordy Glenn throughout training camp due to an undisclosed illness, which has given Henderson all the reps with the first unit at left tackle. He’s had his rookie moments throughout, but he was one of the stronger offensive linemen during the night practice. His best moment came during one-on-one drills up against Mario Williams, the highest paid defensive player in league history, with no one else to help him out. Henderson displayed quick feet, pushed Williams out wide and didn’t surrender any territory to the Pro Bowl defensive end. The rookie was called for a hands to the face penalty, but from a technique perspective, he was solid all throughout the rep.

The 'live' highlights
    - The entire tone of practice was set early on when the players partook in a full-contact period, and it was there that the defense started showing that Saturday night would be theirs — and in a big way. Out of the 19 plays (unofficial), the offense came away with a good play only three times. One was a 22-yard pass from EJ Manuel to Lee Smith in which the tight end broke some tackles, another a Jeff Tuel read-option keeper and the third was a jump ball deep down the right sideline roped in by Mike Williams. Other than that, it was all defense. Marcell Dareus and Brandon Spikes both flashed against the run when they were on the field. Safety Jonathan Meeks provided the biggest hit of the day, on a Ronnie Wingo rush attempt. Even rookie cornerback Ross Cockrell got a big hit in on wide receiver Kevin Elliott as he attempted to catch a pass along the sidelines, which as you could guess, wound up incomplete. The physicality was there throughout for the defense, and they dominated the live session.

Don’t sleep on the Schwartz blitz
    - Saturday night was yet another reminder that new defensive coordinator isn’t shy to call a blitz, or two, or five. In fact, he did it in bunches and the offense couldn’t recover during team drills. He was sending linebackers, safeties, boundary corners, nickel corners, running stunts to confuse the offensive line in their assignments. It was a wildly successful evening for him but it’s likely to be expected with such a talent gap between the first-team defensive line in comparison to the first-team offensive line. However, it’s what he did with the second and third units that was equally as impressive.

Day 6 MVP: DE Manny Lawson
    - Asked to switch back to his position from college, Manny Lawson was a bit slow out of the gates but erupted for a big practice on Saturday night. Lawson found his way into the backfield during one-on-one drills and team drills alike. He also chipped in as a stout edge defender, which is one of his biggest strengths, to bring down a ball carrier quickly on a third-and-long rush attempt. His most impressive pass rushing rep came against rookie Cyrus Kouandjio in the one-on-one drills. Kouandjio started backpedaling and looked stiff and too upright all throughout the rep. Lawson recognized it, used his long arms to push Kouandjio up near his shoulder pads and it sent the right tackle stumbling backwards, allowing the defensive end to walk in for the sack. It was Lawson’s best day by a wide margin.

Day 7 LVP: OT Cyrus Kouandjio
    - If you’ve read the recap all the way to this point, you know why.
    http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=417218
    Last edited by swiper; 07-27-2014 at 05:16 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-27-2014),jills (07-27-2014),Mace (07-27-2014),SquishDaFish (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,468 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Camp Day #6 - RT struggles

KuJo needs to elevate his game, obviously. Nice to see some consistent comments about Mike Williams winning jump balls down the field, that's one of the reasons he was brought in.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nice to see new additions Boyd and Felder getting involved in the action.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any news on Glenn? is there any chance he can get some reps before the regular season gets here? we are going to need a healthy oline against the bears. Henderson is a pleasant surprise considering where he was drafted, but I think I would like to see him at rt a bit before the games start counting.

- - - Updated - - -

Any news on Glenn? is there any chance he can get some reps before the regular season gets here? we are going to need a healthy oline against the bears. Henderson is a pleasant surprise considering where he was drafted, but I think I would like to see him at rt a bit before the games start counting.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Was not a Kouandjio fan, my reaction was similar to the one I had when we draft Aaron Williams. He may be a better guard than tackle, speed rushers will wreck him all game long unless he drastically improves.

8. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's nice to see the blitzing thing with Schwartz. I know it's not his forte, but this D was very successful at pressuring the QB last year, and it was working in practice, so he kept doing it.

Hopefully he'll bring that mentality to the games and not be one of those coaches who sticks to his system even when it's not working or something outside the system is working better.

10. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-27-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read anything since this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-buffalo-bills

Of course, teams don't announce non-football health problems...privacy.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I haven't read anything since this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-buffalo-bills

Of course, teams don't announce non-football health problems...privacy.
    According to comments from Eric Wood, Cordy Glenn will be back in the lineup soon.

Erik Pears has been playing well at right tackle.

Chris Hairston has proven himself as a good right tackle, and could very well win the starting right guard position.

Cyrus Kouandjio? Seantrel Henderson?

Good depth.

13. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (07-28-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm glad the D is bringing hard pressure on the OL and Manuel.

Forces quicker (we hope good) decisions and I don't mind swing passes to the RB's or quick slants at all. Proper seasoning for the regular season.

The OL will obviously be a work with Glenn getting well and the reps for Henderson and others can only help, long term. The key will be the 4th pre-season game vs. Tampa ( The first Ralph game ). The line will show who is starting then. I'm now very pleased Williams was signed to play OG and 3 OL were drafted. Will they come together ? We'll know by the opener.

Camp is a work.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We are in for another long year with a ****ty offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    I'm glad the D is bringing hard pressure on the OL and Manuel.

Forces quicker (we hope good) decisions and I don't mind swing passes to the RB's or quick slants at all. Proper seasoning for the regular season.

The OL will obviously be a work with Glenn getting well and the reps for Henderson and others can only help, long term. The key will be the 4th pre-season game vs. Tampa ( The first Ralph game ). The line will show who is starting then. I'm now very pleased Williams was signed to play OG and 3 OL were drafted. Will they come together ? We'll know by the opener.

Camp is a work.
    Always good for an OL to have to practice against a stout DL. Especially with younger guys being able to learn quickly. But the right side might be worrisome. IDK. I agree we have to wait and see. And hope against injuries.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Henderson can pull his head out of his ass he has the ability to become a very good player.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It would appear that Henderson has his head out of his ass... how has cyril Richardson been doing? I haven't heard his name mentioned too much.

- - - Updated - - -

It would appear that Henderson has his head out of his ass... how has cyril Richardson been doing? I haven't heard his name mentioned too much.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    Just read the Camp Day #7 report!