Thread: wgr: Camp Day #7

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

wgr: Camp Day #7

While other teams around the National Football League are just getting started at training camp, the Buffalo Bills have already gone through a full week’s worth of work. Only a week away from their first preseason game, the Bills have a lot on their collective plate at practice throughout the next few days.

Head coach Doug Marrone introduced live hitting on Saturday for the first time in 2014 and they kept that going for a second straight day, giving the team their first taste of goal line work. Compared to their efforts on Saturday, specifically by the offense, Sunday brought about much more optimism.

EJ Update
    - The man with the most influence on the outcome of the 2014 regular season is undoubtedly EJ Manuel, and to this point in training camp he hasn’t done much to inspire the overwhelming confidence his coaches and teammates seem to have in him. While that much held true during the seventh practice of camp, Manuel showed a lot more than he did in previous efforts. A difference from a practice a few days ago, the second-year quarterback was decisive in 7-on-7 drills and found a lot of receivers in space. He still struggled with going through all of his reads, which is concerning because it appears as though Jeff Tuel has no problem doing so in the offense, and that has limited him at practice so far. That, in addition to his inaccuracy, is what holds him back from realizing the potential the Bills believe that he has. In his favor, however, is the fact that the Bills went out this offseason and acquired two receivers that are very good at making bad throws look good. With transactions like those and how those two players have performed in camp so far, the Bills appear as though they’re eliminating any and all excuses for Manuel’s second season.

Hogan gets time with the 1s
    - It has been written numerous times over the past two years, but wide receiver Chris Hogan had another very good practice for the Bills on Sunday. Shaking off a two-drop performance on Friday night, Hogan was strong in his routes and on the ball whenever given the opportunity during the afternoon practice. Due to all his strong play throughout the first six days of camp, the Bills rewarded him with time on the field with the first-team offense as the third wide receiver. It wasn’t a direct shot at Mike Williams, but more of a pat on the back to Hogan who has done mostly everything right to this point. Williams also got time with the first unit. It’s quite a long training camp so there are no guarantees on July 27, but with more performances like the one he’s had consistently (and special teams experience to boot), he could remove any doubt that he makes the roster.

Red Zone Mike
    - Captain Obvious supports the next sentence: The Bills want to be much better in the red zone and on the goal line than they were in 2013. To help them do just that, from a theoretical standpoint anyway, they traded for Mike Williams and his 25 career touchdowns in four seasons (after grabbing 23 in his first three). Williams showed off that skill set on Sunday as the team continued to work in tight and help the offense progress. If there was a jump ball to be had, the wideout went up and got it on all but one occasion. After one catch in the back corner of the end zone, he looked at the crowd and took a bow, which drew some laughs from the crowd but also indicated that he is totally in control in those areas of the field. That will be where he is most important to the team, considering their dreadful past at capitalizing on in-close opportunities with getting six points rather than only three.

Don’t run with your head down vs. 2nd team defense
    - Through two days of live hitting at St. John Fisher College the biggest hitter has been identified, and it’s not someone one would initially expect. Jonathan Meeks, the team’s fifth-round pick in 2013 and backup strong safety, has been crushing teammates during the last two practices. He was the player responsible for the big hit that left wide receiver Kevin Elliott, to put it ever so delicately, a bit woozy. The hit was clean and it was one of a handful that he’s brought to practice over the weekend. He likely won’t push for a starting job in 2014, but his presence on the roster as a suitable backup is evident.

Richardson gets a step up
    - An inauspicious start to the training camp of fifth-round pick and rookie guard Cyril Richardson has led to many being skeptical about his chances of making an impact on the roster in his inaugural season. Despite some bad beats through the first five practices, starting on Saturday night Richardson was bumped up a unit. Initially serving as the third-team left guard Richardson and Antoine McClain, who was the second-team left guard through the first five practices, switched places. It’s been a steep learning curve for the rookie and he hasn’t necessarily taken advantage of his heightened opportunities in the past two days, but at the very least the Bills are giving him the chance to prove himself.

Day 7 MVP: CB Stephon Gilmore
    - Gilmore has been a cool customer through the first six days of training camp, and it wasn’t until Sunday that he started to show the signs of what he did at St. John Fisher College in 2013. He mirrored the receivers anywhere they went and minimized their impact on the given play, regardless if they made the catch. He earned MVP honors with a fantastic one-handed interception in the end zone against EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins, sticking with the impressive rookie and then turning his head around to be in perfect position to come away with the turnover. He added another interception in the practice to put his day over the top.

Day 7 LVP: WR Chris Summers
    - Among the players fighting to get noticed out of the wide receiver group, Summers really hasn’t stood out for any reason beside his height. In a drill where a 6-foot-5 player should dominate against smaller corners, Summers failed to make an impact in jump-ball setting in the end zone. He doesn’t get a lot of separation on the initial route and then fails to rise up and meet the ball at it’s highest point. The throw needs to be there, but even when it was not it didn’t appear as though he had the right positioning during and after the route’s completion to inspire confidence in a successful attempt
    http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=417254

2. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: wgr: Camp Day #7

No word on Chandler's injury?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bill..._bills_ti.html
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

5. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-28-2014)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Looks like 3-4 WR sets without a TE will be the look for a while. Adapt and move forward.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What is it about these camp wonders. Hogan impresses each camp. And never gets on the field. Is it because the veterans half-ass through camp? Or do the Bills coaches put the wrong players on the field starting in September.
    I remember this CB that went to the Saints (forgot his name) that was always dominant in camp and only played very few times. And once he played he absolutely shut down Moss while playing with the Patriots. Then the corner leaves (no contract extension) and performs very good with the Saints. That sucks. Then again, at least this was another coaching staff. But if a player succeeds in camp you should give him a chance in Sep.

8. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (07-28-2014)

Offical Billszone Starting QB ryjam282's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jabari Greer....I loved that guy. He was a #3 guy for a little while and then got his shot as the #1 here and did very well and, of course, we wouldn't pay him so he left. I was a big fan of his....

Ryan Withey
    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

10. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (07-28-2014),The last buffalo fan (07-28-2014),ublinkwescore (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009...ected-to-leave
    An NFL source close to negotiations told me Saturday morning that the Bills and Greer's agent, Mark Bloom, aren't in the same area code on financial terms. The Bills have offered five years and $20 million, but Greer is looking for closer to $7 million or $8 million depending on the length of the contract and guarantees.

As much as I give the Bills front office a hard time, I think they made a good offer. Greer is a good CB, but he’s not worth $7-8 million a year. $4-5 million per is a good offer; if he can get more elsewhere, then so be it.
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 07-28-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And he didn't get the $7-8M he was looking for either...
    http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/2968/jabari-greer
    Jabari Greer's four-year, $23 million contract with the Saints includes $10 million guaranteed.
    Greer doesn't have the upside of Ronald Bartell, but this looks like a solid deal. Greer's guarantee is $3.6M less over the same length. These contracts are making it look like Baltimore overpaid for Domonique Foxworth ($16.5M guaranteed over four). Andre' Goodman got a $9.8M guarantee at age 31.

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Topas View Post
    What is it about these camp wonders. Hogan impresses each camp. And never gets on the field. Is it because the veterans half-ass through camp? Or do the Bills coaches put the wrong players on the field starting in September.
    I remember this CB that went to the Saints (forgot his name) that was always dominant in camp and only played very few times. And once he played he absolutely shut down Moss while playing with the Patriots. Then the corner leaves (no contract extension) and performs very good with the Saints. That sucks. Then again, at least this was another coaching staff. But if a player succeeds in camp you should give him a chance in Sep.
    Jabari was one of my favorite players... maybe that's why I kind of 0_o at your post. Yeah, Greer (who just had his career shortened) was a great corner here and for the Saints, very deserving (in hindsight) of the contract he was offered by them and as touched on by YF, the one he was offered to stay here. Loved a segment he had on BB.com while he was here that was more like a sketch show week to week, gotta find that now that I mention it...

As to the point of camp stand outs, Hogan just hasn't been given the opportunity because of star power in front of him as well. FO's don't like to be wrong, so when guys like Williams are brought in and you trade your #1 away, then Watkins and Woods, you don't want Hogan outshining them from a PR perspective either. Certain Bills fans revel in that fact. That's just my interpretation, btw, could be wrong, but seems like low profile players who perform never get to shine until thrust in to the limelight. Also, there's a lot we don't see with the off field stuff, maybe he is bad in the film room? I don't know.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    Jabari was one of my favorite players... maybe that's why I kind of 0_o at your post. Yeah, Greer (who just had his career shortened) was a great corner here and for the Saints, very deserving (in hindsight) of the contract he was offered by them and as touched on by YF, the one he was offered to stay here. Loved a segment he had on BB.com while he was here that was more like a sketch show week to week, gotta find that now that I mention it...

As to the point of camp stand outs, Hogan just hasn't been given the opportunity because of star power in front of him as well. FO's don't like to be wrong, so when guys like Williams are brought in and you trade your #1 away, then Watkins and Woods, you don't want Hogan outshining them from a PR perspective either. Certain Bills fans revel in that fact. That's just my interpretation, btw, could be wrong, but seems like low profile players who perform never get to shine until thrust in to the limelight. Also, there's a lot we don't see with the off field stuff, maybe he is bad in the film room? I don't know.
    With SJ moved to San Fran and Woods going to the slot, Hogan has a decent shot at the last WR slot. He can play the slot or outside.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    With SJ moved to San Fran and Woods going to the slot, Hogan has a decent shot at the last WR slot. He can play the slot or outside.
    And has good hands!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hogan is primarily a slot receiver. Could he be our Wes Welker/Edelman/Woodhead?

Last edited by Thief; 07-28-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not bringing in a veteran QB this offseason will prove to be a big mistake.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post
    Not bringing in a veteran QB this offseason will prove to be a big mistake.
    Who?

19. Post thanked by:

better days (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"He (Manuel) still struggled with going through all of his reads, which is concerning because it appears as though Jeff Tuel has no problem doing so in the offense..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Who?
    Josh McCown

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Josh McCown

That will be hard considering he's on Tampa's roster.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Listening to the John Murphy Show and checking out whatever training camp blogs that I could, Manuel had a really good practice this evening (the night after Joe Buscaglia's blog quoted in this thread). It sounds to me like reading defenses is something that Jeff Tuel does quickly and naturally. It may not come as naturally to Manuel, but that doesn't mean he can't become very good at it. Of course, there are a lot of other factors that go into making a quality QB. The Bills certainly want Manuel to succeed and will give him every chance to succeed because he was a first round pick, but they may have other reasons they like Manuel over Tuel, despite Tuel's defense reading accumen.

That said, I'm thrilled Tuel is doing well. I think he could turn into a really solid backup QB because he is so sharp mentally. That sharpness could raise the odds that he can lead the offense and be productive on short notice.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

24. Post thanked by:

better days (07-28-2014),BillsImpossible (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Josh McCown
    He is the Bucs starting QB.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    He is the Bucs starting QB.
    Any camp reports on him? How are ex-B'gals M. Johnson and A. Collins looking?