Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best QB on Bills Roster

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Best QB on Bills Roster

From what I have seen, read, & heard thus far, there is a good chance that EJ isn't even substantially the best QB on the Bills.

For the most part EJ has been... well, EJ. One great throw, a couple of ok throws , one wild throw & of course one throw in the arms of a defender. His accuracy, timing, progressions, reading defenses are still second rate.

The other 2 QB: Jeff Tuel & Thad Lewis - who was our best performing QB last year- are having a competition of their own and Jeff has taken the lead.

Jeff Tuel
    He struggled in a few starts last season, but I never understood why Bills fans dogged him (an un-drafted rookie FA) while defending similarly bad play from EJ (1st rounder & 1st QB taken in draft). Somehow, this didn't add up, plus there were many things in Tuel's game that are clearly lacking in EJs.

Tuel's Advantages:

Accuracy: he is far more accurate and has much better ball placement than EJ.

Down Field: I remember his 50yrd TD bomb to Goodwin. It was exciting and longest TD for this Bills up to that point! He came in, and instantly stretched the field, something EJ could not do with his superior arm strength.

Reading Defenses: He spread the ball around and moved the chains. Sure he made mistakes, has bad plays and turnovers; however, he showed positives that were absent in EJ's game.

In my opinion, EJ is missing some very key and fundamental elements to his game and as a result his career may go in the way of Kevin Kolb or JP Lossman; in other words he may not even be backup material. Tuel on the other hand will at least make for a decent backup, a replica of our latest decent QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick or Jake Delohme.

*** Hopefully I'm wrong and EJ becomes Warren Moon 2.0 and Tuel becomes Brady 3.0 and we trade one of them for like 6 picks... But chances are..,
    Please Make Sense

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Best QB on Bills Roster

Did you learn English from commercials?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like Tuel. I hate Manuel. But, even I have a hard time justifying Tuel be elevated above the 16th overall pick from 2013 at this point. Manuel will dig his own grave. But Tuel is not likely to be the long-term QB solution. He's a back-up at best. He's not the next Tom Brady. This issue will be the albatross around Whaley's neck.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Timing is everything

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...prove-20140728

I'm going to 2 practices this week and a couple more next week. We'll see how much Manuel has progressed. I'm glad we have Tuel around and also wish to observe his development. I root for the jersey and hope either can step forward and play solid ball.

I would like to know that if Manuel goes down, we have an alternative in Tuel. I don't see that in Lewis, who despite being a gamer turns the ball over far too much.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

From what I heard on the John Murphy show EJ looked great in practice Monday evening going through his progressions and made several nice throws.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,307 Times in 15,454 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wouldn't use John Murphy as a credible source, Don. He has a financial stake in the organization.

Just from what I have read, essentially tweets from the D and C and BEN writers at camp, (as well as the talking heads on tv) most say EJ has looked bad, but his saving grace is that Watkins is catching everything thrown to his side of the field, no matter how far off it is.

I'm really hoping something clicks inside the guys head...and soon.

7. Post thanked by:

don137 (07-29-2014),The last buffalo fan (07-29-2014),WagonCircler (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

People are glad that Jeff Tuel is on the Bills roster? What the ****?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I wouldn't use John Murphy as a credible source, Don. He has a financial stake in the organization.

Just from what I have read, essentially tweets from the D and C and BEN writers at camp, (as well as the talking heads on tv) most say EJ has looked bad, but his saving grace is that Watkins is catching everything thrown to his side of the field, no matter how far off it is.

I'm really hoping something clicks inside the guys head...and soon.
    While John Murphy does work for the Bills, he does give his honest opinion on players.

I have often heard him say when a player is not playing well, including EJ.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

With all of the potential QB's available in the middle rounds in the draft we could have gotten, but no, EJ's our guy.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

11. Post thanked by:

Buffalo Thriller (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    With all of the potential QB's available in the middle rounds in the draft we could have gotten, but no, EJ's our guy.
    Tell us who you would have wanted the Bills to take in the draft & in which round.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Everyone says that Tuel is beating out Lewis in their competition, but I haven't heard anyone say that Tuel has looked better than EJ overall.

The Op has commented on EJ's poor throws, well Tuel has had poor throws as well, including INT's.

14. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Did you learn English from commercials?
    Actually, I did.

Why do you ask?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Another wasted Thread.

We are EJ or bust. Why even discuss this?

17. Post thanked by:

better days (07-29-2014),Bill Cody (07-29-2014),ServoBillieves (07-29-2014),The last buffalo fan (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,476 Times in 7,093 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Like I said before, in spite of Tuel's limited experience in college and limited snaps at camp last year vs EJ, EJ looked just as bad as Tuel at times. From what I saw at camp last year, Tuel kept up with both EJ and Kolb.

I've have a feeling the coaching staff see's the potential in Tuel as a BACK UP. If EJ doesn't improve then he's just another back up like Tuel.

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,708 Times in 3,427 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tuel looks good in camp and looks terrible in games. EJ was at least serviceable and made a few good plays at the ends of games to seal a W. I'm not saying it's impossible for that to turn around but as of right now, you have no evidence to suggest that is going to happen.

Registered User Buffalo Thriller's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I remember when i was bashed for wanting us to draft Nick Foles. Good times.... Gooooood times.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

21. Post thanked by:

swiper (07-29-2014),WagonCircler (07-29-2014)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Thriller View Post
    I remember when i was bashed for wanting us to draft Nick Foles. Good times.... Gooooood times.
    So was I for wanting Colin Kaepernick...

23. Post thanked by:

Buffalo Thriller (07-29-2014)

I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?" The last buffalo fan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,741 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I really liked Joe Montana!
    The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    From what I have seen, read, & heard thus far, there is a good chance that EJ isn't even substantially the best QB on the Bills.
    Was there ever anything definitive that he was?

He wasn't even the best QB in the ACC in his senior season, that honor went to a Jr., Tahj Boyd. Glennon was better too. Both Glennon and Boyd threw many more TDs and had worse teams around them.

Only those that actually believed that Whaley knew what he was doing by reaching to take Manuel would even have thought that for a moment. There always was more than enough info on KneeJ prior to the draft last year to have challenged whether he would ever even be an average starter in the NFL much less one worth reaching for by a round, perhaps rounds, to take him in the mid-1st. Only our front office knew better than everyone else.

We're left to enjoy another looming rebuilding mess. As usual, when it begins, hopefully after this season and not next one, the new GM and HC will probably insist that we really don't need to rebuild with no QB, no 3-down RB, no TE, one dicey DT and one aging one, only one above average LB on the squad, and only one above average DB. Then they'll approach that season as if we're not rebuilding while treating us to the news that we are following it.

Our hope is to get a new owner that cans the entire group of FO staff.

Odds of that happening? Rhetorically speaking of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Jeff Tuel
    He struggled in a few starts last season, but I never understood why Bills fans dogged him (an un-drafted rookie FA) while defending similarly bad play from EJ (1st rounder & 1st QB taken in draft). Somehow, this didn't add up, plus there were many things in Tuel's game that are clearly lacking in EJs.
    I'm not sure I share your optimism on Tuel, who did absolutely nothing significant in college and under any circumstances it would be remarkable if he even earned his way into a #2 spot as a career. But sure you know why Bills fans dogged him, it was because their fearless leader told them that KneeJ was better, and of course they believe everything that their fearless leader tells them.
    Last edited by Fletch; 07-29-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    So was I for wanting Colin Kaepernick...
    Quote Originally Posted by The last buffalo fan View Post
    I really liked Joe Montana!

For 6 rounds in 2000, I was pulling out my hair, yelling draft Tom Brady from Michigan.