Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The reason the Bills will win this year

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The reason the Bills will win this year

Last year, no receiver had more than 3 TD's.

I expect Sammy Watkins & Mike Williams to both exceed that number & by a lot.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-29-2014),Buffalogic (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The reason the Bills will win this year

I like your positive outlook but remember, they are not throwing to themselves. All of this depends on the qb which is still a huge question mark. One things for sure, EJ has been given everything to succeed. The best wr in the draft, Mike Williams, drafted OL, a qb coach, and most importantly depth at RB. We are going to run the ball first. EJ better step up when teams play the run.

4. Post thanked by:

better days (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

Can we then extrapolate your comments to mean that any team that had two receivers with more than 3 TDs each had a winning record?

If not, how many TDs by receivers are you insisting is the "magic number" for putting up a winning record?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,298 Times in 13,728 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Didn't you spend all of last off-season trying to convince me that we were better off at WR because of Woods and Goodwin? So much for that.

7. Post thanked by:

Fletch (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    I like your positive outlook but remember, they are not throwing to themselves. All of this depends on the qb which is still a huge question mark. One things for sure, EJ has been given everything to succeed. The best wr in the draft, Mike Williams, drafted OL, a qb coach, and most importantly depth at RB. We are going to run the ball first. EJ better step up when teams play the run.
    EJ is a major reason why I question the trade up for Watkins. It could be Eric Moulds all over again: a guy with all the tools to be great but is held back by garbage QB's.

9. Post thanked by:

Fletch (07-29-2014),gebobs (07-29-2014),justasportsfan (07-29-2014),Mad Max (07-29-2014),Thurmal (07-29-2014)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins is too good to be held back by anyone else. The guy is going to turn a lot of heads this years. Target him in your fantasy leagues in round 6 or 7.

11. Post thanked by:

better days (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Didn't you spend all of last off-season trying to convince me that we were better off at WR because of Woods and Goodwin? So much for that.
    Goodwin's 2nd on the depth chart. Watkins had better have that monster year that many are expecting or there's going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth later on this season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Wagon Circler View Post
    Watkins is too good to be held back by anyone else. The guy is going to turn a lot of heads this years. Target him in your fantasy leagues in round 6 or 7.
    No WR is good enough to not be held back by a bad qb. Reports from camp say Ej has accuracy issues and is slow making reads. If that continues into the regular season, Sammy will have a pedestrian season through no fault of his own. He can't do anything about EJ holding the ball too long and taking a sack or overthrowing him by 5 yards.

14. Post thanked by:

Fletch (07-29-2014),sudzy (07-29-2014),Thurmal (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A good prediction simply based on the fact that Williams isn't that good and Woods still hasn't proven that he can be a #1. Having said that, it's a lot to ask a rookie with a so-so QB at best to post a huge season. I think he'll show some of what he can do, but also show that he still needs some polish, especially when playing against above-average DBs, and put up a good but far from superb season. I don't see any of our WRs hitting 1,000 yards this season. If Watkins can hit 800/7 under the circumstances IMO that would be a good season for him. It wouldn't justify what we gave up to get him, but in terms of raw rookie performance I'm not sure that much more can reasonably be expected from a rookie on a team with no 3-down RB in his prime or younger, no proven TE, and KneeJ as his QB, and an OC that shouldn't even be in the NFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ is a major reason why I question the trade up for Watkins. It could be Eric Moulds all over again: a guy with all the tools to be great but is held back by garbage QB's.
    No arguments here. I believe this offense will still be a run first offense and IF it opens up the passing game, EJ will have better weapons at his disposal.

In an ideal world, I would love our passing game to open things up for the run like Peyton does ,but I'm not holding my breath. Right now I'll take an efficient qb who can make defenses pay when the stack up the line to stop the run.

17. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (07-29-2014),The last buffalo fan (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Aside from EJ, Woods, Mike W. ,Goodwin , Moeaki/Chandler are essential to Watkins succeeding when teams plan their game to shut him down.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No WR is good enough to not be held back by a bad qb. Reports from camp say Ej has accuracy issues and is slow making reads. If that continues into the regular season, Sammy will have a pedestrian season through no fault of his own. He can't do anything about EJ holding the ball too long and taking a sack or overthrowing him by 5 yards.
    Hence the reason Woods & Goodwin did not have better years last year.

Still both are better to have on the Bills this year than if the Bills kept Donald Jones & David Nelson instead of drafting them last year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

True in most cases, but not entirely.

Calvin Johnson was Calvin Johnson with Dan Orlovski, Shaun Hill, and Matthew Stafford.

Larry Fitzgerald was Larry Fitzgerald with Matt Leinart, Max Hall, Jon Skelton, Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer.

Obviously these two guys are the cream of the crop but this is the tier Watkins should find himself in.

21. Post thanked by:

better days (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the whole scoring touchdown thing has to get better for the offense.

as EJ goes, the team goes.

23. Post thanked by:

better days (07-29-2014),EDS (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins needs up to five carries a game. Yes carries. Handoffs. Need to mitigate the EJ suckage if/when it rears its ugly head.

Cordarelle Patterson really starting coming into his own as a receiver after he broke some huge carries for long touchdowns. Watkins needs to have those same opportunities.

25. Post thanked by:

gebobs (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    the whole scoring touchdown thing has to get better for the offense.

as EJ goes, the team goes.
    Agreed. Either EJ plays well and the Bills finally have a winning season or he doesn't, in which case at this time next year the team will have a new owner, new front office, new coach, new starting QB, etc.

27. Post thanked by:

better days (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Can we then extrapolate your comments to mean that any team that had two receivers with more than 3 TDs each had a winning record?

If not, how many TDs by receivers are you insisting is the "magic number" for putting up a winning record?
    Well, why don't you research that & post it for us.

I don't know necessarily that every team with two receivers with more than 3 TDs puts up a winning record, But I can pretty much guarantee that no team without at least one receiver putting up a LOT of TD's

will have a losing record.

And I really believe both Watkins & Williams will put up a number of TD's.
    Last edited by better days; 07-29-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins needs up to five carries a game. Yes carries. Handoffs. Need to mitigate the EJ suckage if/when it rears its ugly head.

Cordarelle Patterson really starting coming into his own as a receiver after he broke some huge carries for long touchdowns. Watkins needs to have those same opportunities.
    I doubt Watkins gets that, but I do expect a number of bubble screens to Watkins.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, why don't you research that & post it for us.

I don't know necessarily that every team with two receivers with more than 3 TDs puts up a winning record, But I can pretty much guarantee that no team without at least one receiver putting up a LOT of TD's

will have a losing record.

And I really believe both Watkins & Williams will put up a number of TD's.
    While your point has merit, it is worth noting that Carolina and KC all went the playoffs last year despite having no wide receiver catch more than 5 touchdowns.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    While your point has merit, it is worth noting that Carolina and KC all went the playoffs last year despite having no wide receiver catch more than 5 touchdowns.

How many caught more than 5?