Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boy, this wasn't very encouraging

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Boy, this wasn't very encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    No, thats not how it works. If you make a claim, it's on you to support it. You don't get to claim something as fact and then force other people to research it. You need to have the source before you make the claim.
    I didn't realize you made the rules.

My bad. And people call me old.

This was not reported on that long ago.

Anyone that does not know about the Bills lease with Erie County is NOT a Bills fan.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,086 Times in 3,569 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And why do you think they wouldnt use a trust to auction to the highest bidder? Someone has to be in charge.
    If the plan was to sell to the highest bidder, sure you might need one person in charge. Not a group.
    Im not saying they don't know. Im saying they don't necessarily care. The public statements by the Bon Jovi group give them plausible deniability if that group makes the highest bid.
    They do care. That's why they'll take the best bid, not necessarily the highest. And again, they can see right through BJ. Not that it matters because it's Pegula's team to lose.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,290 Times in 13,723 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I didn't realize you made the rules.

My bad. And people call me old.

This was not reported on that long ago.

Anyone that does not know about the Bills lease with Erie County is NOT a Bills fan.
    I don't make the rules.

Whoever makes the claim needs to be able to support it, or else the claim isn't valid. That's how it is- that's how it has always been and that's how it should be.

4. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    If the plan was to sell to the highest bidder, sure you might need one person in charge. Not a group.

They do care. That's why they'll take the best bid, not necessarily the highest. And again, they can see right through BJ. Not that it matters because it's Pegula's team to lose.
    It's about money.

I'd like some proof as to why some of you think the best bid and the highest bid are different things.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't make the rules.

Whoever makes the claim needs to be able to support it, or else the claim isn't valid. That's how it is- that's how it has always been and that's how it should be.
    Well the Bills & Erie County have a valid contract & that is a matter of public record.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well the Bills & Erie County have a valid contract & that is a matter of public record.
    Well this is naivete at its finest.

First, you are assuming such a stipulation is legally enforceable. It's not

Second, the Bon Jovi group publicly said that they will not move the team. We know that's not true, but technically and legally, it meets the stipulation. As usual, you take the overly simplistic view and show no propensity for understanding or analysis. But the overly simplistic view gives you the reassurance that you crave, so why think about it beyond that, right?

8. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well this is naivete at its finest.

First, you are assuming such a stipulation is legally enforceable. It's not

Second, the Bon Jovi group publicly said that they will not move the team. We know that's not true, but technically and legally, it meets the stipulation. As usual, you take the overly simplistic view and show no propensity for understanding or analysis. But the overly simplistic view gives you the reassurance that you crave, so why think about it beyond that, right?
    If I am caught doing something & I tell the judge in Court I did not do it I guess they can't charge me right?

I don't think there is any law that says LIERS must be believed.

And you are correct. The lease can be challenged in Court, but NY State has deep pockets.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If I am caught doing something & I tell the judge in Court I did not do it I guess they can't charge me right?

I don't think there is any law that says LIERS must be believed.

And you are correct. The lease can be challenged in Court, but NY State has deep pockets.
    If the pockets of NYS were as deep as you say, they'd be ponying up for a new stadium and this wouldn't be an issue.

And the law has never been about who's telling the truth. It's always been about who can convince a judge or jury that they're telling the truth. And if the Bon Jovi group publicly says they won't move the team and submits a bid that only discusses the team being in Buffalo, then the trust can convince the judge/jury that they had no idea the group would move the team.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to engage in a debate with someone who thinks that liars don't win in court (and can't even spell "liars" correctly).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If the pockets of NYS were as deep as you say, they'd be ponying up for a new stadium and this wouldn't be an issue.

And the law has never been about who's telling the truth. It's always been about who can convince a judge or jury that they're telling the truth. And if the Bon Jovi group publicly says they won't move the team and submits a bid that only discusses the team being in Buffalo, then the trust can convince the judge/jury that they had no idea the group would move the team.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to engage in a debate with someone who thinks that liars don't win in court (and can't even spell "liars" correctly).
    Excuse my grammar. Never made a mistke in you lifee did yu?

What does a new Stadium have to do with the Bills being sold?

The point is Bon Jovi & the Toronto group have to convince the 4 members of the trust they are not lying.

How do you think they will do with that?

And a lower offer can be a better offer if it is ALL CASH while the higher offer is a payment plan.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Excuse my grammar. Never made a mistke in you lifee did yu?

What does a new Stadium have to do with the Bills being sold?

The point is Bon Jovi & the Toronto group have to convince the 4 members of the trust they are not lying.

How do you think they will do with that?

And a lower offer can be a better offer if it is ALL CASH while the higher offer is a payment plan.
    If the Bon Jovi group says they won't move the team publicly, and the bid makes no mention of moving the team, then it is VERY easy to convince a judge or jury that they thought they were not lying.

And I never said anything about a new stadium, but for what it's worth: the team needs a new stadium within the next 10 years whether they move or not. If they had a viable stadium in Buffalo, it makes staying a lot cheaper than moving, but they don't.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If the Bon Jovi group says they won't move the team publicly, and the bid makes no mention of moving the team, then it is VERY easy to convince a judge or jury that they thought they were not lying.

And I never said anything about a new stadium, but for what it's worth: the team needs a new stadium within the next 10 years whether they move or not. If they had a viable stadium in Buffalo, it makes staying a lot cheaper than moving, but they don't.
    #1 the Toronto group would have to convince the trust to sell them the team.

At this point, I am more concerned about someone buying the Bills with secret intentions of moving them to LA than I am about the Toronto group.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's about money.

I'd like some proof as to why some of you think the best bid and the highest bid are different things.
    Where is your proof that they'll sell to the highest bidder? Has every NFL team been sold to the highest bidder, or the best bidder?

LOL! And you're lecturing bd on naivete?

BTW, Pegula's bid topped $1B.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

#1 the Toronto group would have to convince the trust to sell them the team.

At this point, I am more concerned about someone buying the Bills with secret intentions of moving them to LA than I am about the Toronto group.
    I would have thought that LA was a better option than TO too, especially after the disastrous Bills in Toronto series.

But, there has been no momentum behind LA. When Ralph first died, there was all this talk of a new stadium in LA, and LA-based buyers interested in the team, but it just died. The Toronto stuff just keeps coming up in the news over and over again. I can't say for sure that there is no LA group that submitted a bid, but if there is, they've done a VERY good job of staying out of the news.

And the NFL seems to have a hard-on for international expansion. You've said yourself that people in LA are already football fans even though there's no team. The NFL has basically saturated the US market, so the only way to truly grow is to attempt to go international with a sport that the whole world views as American. Canada would be a good start, because there are NFL fans there and they have the CFL. The rest of the world just views American football as some American indulgence and they don't give a ****.

It would be nice to summarily dismiss the Toronto group, but I just don't think that's realistic.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What asswipes like Fletch and Spikey don't understand is that this isn't just about money. And it isn't just about metropolitan population. And it isn't just about what owners like Jerry Jones would like to see happen.

It's about politics.

I detest Chuck Schumer, but for once, I'm glad to have him on my side. And there's no way in hell the State of New York is going to lose a third football team. There are a number of serious weapons at the State's disposal, and they can make the NFL say uncle.

The NFL doesn't have an anti-trust exemption. They live off the one granted to Major League Baseball, which is to say that the very existence of the monopoly that is the NFL exists at the whim of the federal government.

This team isn't going anywhere. Cry me a fahking river Fletch. Your dreams are dying.

17. Post thanked by:

better days (07-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fletch wants the team to move?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Fletch wants the team to move?
    Yes. He and Spiked are playing passive aggressive little ***** games, slamming Buffalo at every turn, while weakly claiming not to want the team to move. When he says "this isn't very encouraging" he means "this is AWESOME!"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Those teams are not for sale.
    Sabres weren't for sale either, but we got a new owner under the cover of night.

if bon jovi wants any NFL team and only wants big profit centers to play in, why not make a bid on a team with no lease issues, and move to LA (a place he's spent a lot of time) and not deal with the headaches of moving a team in a strong lease.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Yes. He and Spiked are playing passive aggressive little ***** games, slamming Buffalo at every turn, while weakly claiming not to want the team to move. When he says "this isn't very encouraging" he means "this is AWESOME!"
    Pathetic if true. But I'll give them a chance to defend themselves.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,564 Times in 2,153 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Toronto is Canada's largest metropolitan area and compares favorably to a number of current NFL cities in terms of its infrastructure's suitability for hosting an NFL team. However, all of that is irrelevant as per the terms of Ralph Wilson's will.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,934 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    Toronto is Canada's largest metropolitan area and compares favorably to a number of current NFL cities in terms of its infrastructure's suitability for hosting an NFL team. However, all of that is irrelevant as per the terms of Ralph Wilson's will.
    No one has seen Ralph's will and you have no idea what's in it. You have no idea what the trust says either. Nobody does.