Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pegula has submitted a bid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Pegula has submitted a bid

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    If Pegula's opening bid is really $1.3 Billion, I think Trump will drop out. He has said he will not bid a "stupid" amount, which he will probably perceive Pegula's bid to be.

Not sure how the Toronto consortium will react, but with the restrictive lease, NFL relocation fees, political pressure to keep the team here, etc. (I don't believe for a minute that they really plan to keep the team in Buffalo) I think they will not want to get into a bidding contest with Pegula and end up paying an exorbitant price.

So,if there are only three bidders, Pegula should win.

One theory that I heard today that doesn't seem too unrealistic is that BJ's group is in there to bump up the bidding, the higher price of the sale, the better it is for all owners. BJ did have that private meeting with Goodell a few weeks ago, maybe Goodell told him do this for us and it will look good for you in the future. Conspiracy ?

2. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm sure this whole bidding process has been a ton of work and is going to continue to be a ton of work for those potential owners going forward. When Pegula sold that oil land or whatever for $1.8 billion, he flexed some serious financial muscle and made it pretty clear how serious he was about being aggressive. Maybe he just scared off a lot of other bidders because they realized they'd just be wasting time and resources trying to compete with him. There's no way you sell an asset that valuable/profitable unless you're dead set on winning the bid. Buying and owning an NFL franchise is an extremely rare privilege and the Bills are perfect for the Pegula's. It's hard to see Terry Pegula letting this kind of opportunity slip through his fingers and lose out to the Toronto group.

Hopefully the reports that the Toronto group isn't willing to approach the $1.5 billion mark is true.

4. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,312 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    One theory that I heard today that doesn't seem too unrealistic is that BJ's group is in there to bump up the bidding, the higher price of the sale, the better it is for all owners. BJ did have that private meeting with Goodell a few weeks ago, maybe Goodell told him do this for us and it will look good for you in the future. Conspiracy ?
    So what exactly would Bon Jovi get out of being Roger Goodell's tool? Special consideration for ownership the next time a team is sold? Goodell really can't control a team's sale process.

Plus, he's linked to Toronto now, so if he tried to buy a team like Jax, Min, St. Louis, etc, all their fans will be worried about him moving too.

While I don't doubt that the league would try to influence the bidding process, I don't see enough incentive for Bon Jovi to want to help out.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,902 Times in 4,022 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I think Tom G is Terry's ace in the hole. If the Toronto group decides to get really stupid and push the envelope towards $2BIL, then I think Golisano comes on board. And I think that's game, set, match.

The Toronto group already has three factions, Bon Jovi, Rodgers and The Maple Leaf Group. The NFL has made it clear, time and again, that they prefer a strong, single owner. I think Terry can outbid the Canadians by himself, but when you start to add up all the strikes against the Canadians, the fact that they're clearly lying about moving the team, the fact that their cobbled together bid would have to be chosen over a huge bid that fills out all the current requirements (Terry Pegs), the ironclad lease, the delicate political situation, the Bon Jovi group is FUCT. It's all just too much to overcome, especially in the context of Pegula's bid, his aggressiveness, his means, and his track record.

We're well into the 4th Quarter of this game and Terry P just took a 48-3 lead. Insurmountable.
    I think he is too. If he needs an extra $200 million, for example...he has Golisano there at the ready.
    And I suspect the Toronto group knows this.

We're going to find out soon enough though.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    So what exactly would Bon Jovi get out of being Roger Goodell's tool? Special consideration for ownership the next time a team is sold? Goodell really can't control a team's sale process.

Plus, he's linked to Toronto now, so if he tried to buy a team like Jax, Min, St. Louis, etc, all their fans will be worried about him moving too.

While I don't doubt that the league would try to influence the bidding process, I don't see enough incentive for Bon Jovi to want to help out.
    All true, but things might be different for an expansion franchise, which is not only possible, but likely. And it's also the reason there are no LA bidders on the Bills. If the Bills sell for $1.5 BIL, or higher, the expansion fee for the next round will be at least $2 BIL.

I could see that weasel Bon Jovi doing this, unbeknown to his Toronto partners, with a silent LA group in the shadows.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

LA is the perfect place for him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post

I'm not sure, I just said that this was a theory that I heard earlier, that doesn't seem unrealistic. It is a little suspicious that Goodell had a private meeting with BJ and not with any other potential owner, at least one that was reported. Also what I think is weird is that there are only 3 bidders, estimates of the amount of bidders expected were double and triple that number. Not saying that has anything to do with my 1st post, but it does seem strange.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure, I just said that this was a theory that I heard earlier, that doesn't seem unrealistic. It is a little suspicious that Goodell had a private meeting with BJ and not with any other potential owner, at least one that was reported. Also what I think is weird is that there are only 3 bidders, estimates of the amount of bidders expected were double and triple that number. Not saying that has anything to do with my 1st post, but it does seem strange.
    I agree about the limited number of bidders.

I can think of two reasons for that.

1) There are restrictions that have been speculated about in the sale of the Bills.

2) People know they can't outbid Pegula.

11. Post thanked by:

kishoph (07-30-2014),WagonCircler (07-30-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm surprised that there were 3.

I give the NFL 10 years or so. A government with the boot on the neck of the private sector, 1 public sector job with benefits and virtual immunity from discharge for poor performance, for every 5 private sector jobs.

Young folks going into debt for a king's ransom paid to education employees, technology replacing jobs apace, a skyrocketing national government debt, the huge expansion in entitlements to insure electability - I can't see but that the customer base drops into the toilet.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Deleted, posted in wrong thread.
    Last edited by Turf; 07-30-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If reports Wednesday are true about how much Terry Pegula is prepared to bid on the Buffalo Bills, then Jon Bon Jovi and his Toronto bid group apparently are doomed.

Sources now tell Sun Media the Toronto group cannot ultimately bid as high as the $1.3 billion Pegula is reported to have submitted in Tuesday’s first round.

Probably the Toronto group’s bid limit will be about $1.2 billion, one source said. Another source said the limit likely is even less than that, just above $1 billion.

That’s why the sources dismissed reports Wednesday that contend the Toronto group placed a first bid as high as $1.2 billion.

Maybe that first bid was as high as $1 billion, sources said, but more likely it was in the $800-million to $900-million range.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl...ch-it-sources/

(Posted elsewhere too - but it is worth repeating)
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

15. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-30-2014),WagonCircler (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Shot downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, in a blaze of...well...a blaze.

17. Post thanked by:

Skooby (07-30-2014),WagonCircler (07-30-2014)