Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pegula has submitted a bid

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Pegula has submitted a bid

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    As usual, not a lot of definitive info despite the sage know-it-alls here.

From the link to that first piece:

So what does the trust do now? Advance all three bidders to the finalist round? Cut down to just two? Or quietly extend the deadline for first bids?

The trust can alter dates, deadlines and procedures in the sale process at any time, however it sees fit.

The trust has set aside next week and the week after to meet individually with finalist bidders. After that, finalists were scheduled to be asked to submit binding, final bids.
    If doesn't even sound like the trust knows.
    The "expert" on WGR the other day said the trust will want 3 finalists for the final bid. He said they would not want only 2 in case one drops out, you don't want to be left with only one bidder he said.

That said, Pegula has the money to make a cash bid. Cash is king & $1.3 Bill is a STRONG opening bid.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Yeah well we don't have any information to make a quality judgment on each bid. We don't know what standards the trust is using to evaluate them or how well the bids met those standards.

Trump said he expects to lose. For all we know, his bid could have been summarily dismissed for being trash and it's 50/50 between Pegula and Toronto.
    Yeah, not sure what to make of this with only 3 bidders. The one linked piece said that the trust has it within their authority to extend deadlines and such, but what would be the reason for thinking that more time was the issue.

We don't have enough info and these initial bids are not final. Who knows, let's say that the Toronto group bid the same or slightly more. We don't know. Or Trump.

I'm guessing that when Trump said he wouldn't win he figured that there'd be 10+ bidders as the rumors were suggesting. He may be feeling better about his chances now.

My first thought was that the other rumored 7 that were supposed to have bid avoided it because of stipulations that they learned about the sale of the team that were restrictive, above and beyond the notion that the team could not be moved (reasonably) prior to the 2020 season, and that they felt that they didn't want their investment to be so limited as to options should there be issues in Buffalo until then, which are likely.

Unlike a lot of others here, I do believe Trump would keep the team here, or do his best to.

All in all I think that this is good news. The team clearly isn't going to be selling on the cheap, so getting appropriate bids won't be an issue, and two of three bidders vow to keep the team here, one very seriously. At this point it will likely come down to what's in the trust.

It would seem that Pegula's the strong frontrunner and there doesn't seem to be an emotional interest after his, so I don't see how this doesn't lean on the good side for us. Then again, we always seem to draw the short straw so I won't be convinced until it's announced that Pegula's the new owner. I can't imagine any of the NFL owners seeing a significant issue with him either. Trump may have a small hurdle.

The bad news is that if bidders held out because they viewed the terms of sale as to restrictive, then it was likely because they didn't see the viability of the team in Buffalo for the long-term and beyond 2020.
    Last edited by Fletch; 07-30-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    That said, Pegula has the money to make a cash bid. Cash is king & $1.3 Bill is a STRONG opening bid.
    Yeah, that kinda goes without saying since the most expensive that a team has sold for prior to this was $1.1B.

I would suspect that if Pegula's pretty much more or less got it, that we'll start hearing rumors and reports indicative that that's the case very soon, likely prior to Sunday's game.

In the meantime we can hope. Next up will be hoping that he puts some people in place that know WTF they're doing on the football side of things.

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Pegula's opening bid is really $1.3 Billion, I think Trump will drop out. He has said he will not bid a "stupid" amount, which he will probably perceive Pegula's bid to be.

Not sure how the Toronto consortium will react, but with the restrictive lease, NFL relocation fees, political pressure to keep the team here, etc. (I don't believe for a minute that they really plan to keep the team in Buffalo) I think they will not want to get into a bidding contest with Pegula and end up paying an exorbitant price.

So,if there are only three bidders, Pegula should win.
    Last edited by Jan Reimers; 07-30-2014 at 08:29 AM.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

5. Post thanked by:

Fletch (07-30-2014),Jry44 (07-30-2014),justasportsfan (07-30-2014),k-oneputt (07-30-2014),kishoph (07-30-2014),Novacane (07-30-2014),Skooby (07-30-2014),WagonCircler (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,683 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Reimers View Post
    If Pegula's opening bid is really $1.3 Billion, I think Trump will drop out. He has said he will not bid a "stupid" amount, which he will probably perceive Pegula's bid to be.

Not sure how the Toronto consortium will react, but with the restrictive lease, NFL relocation fees, political pressure to keep the team here, etc. (I don't believe for a minute that they really plan to keep the team in Buffalo) I think they will not want to get into a bidding contest with Pegula and end up paying an exorbitant price.

So,if there are only three bidders, Pegula should win.
    I watched Dark Skies the other night and the advice they got to protect their family was to make it as difficult as possible for them, the Aliens still took their kids.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    I watched Dark Skies the other night and the advice they got to protect their family was to make it as difficult as possible for them, the Aliens still took their kids.
    LOL

8. Post thanked by:

Skooby (07-30-2014)

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Hell, they can take my kids, too. Just not the Bills.

10. Post thanked by:

HAMMER (07-30-2014),Novacane (07-30-2014),Skooby (07-30-2014),trapezeus (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The PR nightmare that would ensue for the estate and the league (not to mention the potential political firestorm) if they ignored a $1.5 BIL bid from a local sports franchise owner who is committed to keeping the team in Buffalo would be a shtstorm of epic proportions.

I just don't see the estate selling out Ralph's legacy over a few hundred million (and the Toronto group can go much higher than that, by all accounts), when they already have a bid to sell the team for the highest price ever for an NFL franchise.

Terry is buying this team, Toronto. Deal with it. Suck it.

12. Post thanked by:

cookie G (07-30-2014),Dr. Who (07-30-2014),Jan Reimers (07-30-2014),Jry44 (07-30-2014),Novacane (07-30-2014),Skooby (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    The PR nightmare that would ensue for the estate and the league (not to mention the potential political firestorm) if they ignored a $1.5 BIL bid from a local sports franchise owner who is committed to keeping the team in Buffalo would be a shtstorm of epic proportions.

I just don't see the estate selling out Ralph's legacy over a few hundred million (and the Toronto group can go much higher than that, by all accounts), when they already have a bid to sell the team for the highest price ever for an NFL franchise.

Terry is buying this team, Toronto. Deal with it. Suck it.
    Agree on the firestorm comment. If Pegula is the highest bidder it will be his regardless.

The Trust runs what happens to this team, it's independent of the rest of Wilson's estate. The only thing that hasn't been made known is whether or not the board for the trust has the lattitude or not to sell to a lower bidding potential owner if the board has reason to believe that he would keep the team in the region over another prospect. (Bon Jovi's group or Trump)

We don't know that. For all we know the trust may very well have to sell to the highest bidder. That's the news that we're all waiting to hear.

At this point in time however it seems that Pegula's going to be the highest bidder anyway, but I haven't read anything about what the Toronto group has bid and to assume that it wasn't equally as much may not be a wise assumption.

Just like there are emotional/sentimental reasons for an owner that would keep the team here, there are the same reasons for say a Toronto (international) group. First international NFL team, first Canadian team, not to mention a more profitable city in every likelihood.

People here love to jump to conclusions rather than commenting on the actual facts. Speculation and rumors carry more weight here than the cold hard facts usually and until proven otherwise.

I agree with you that Pegula is the frontrunner, but until we know what the Toronto group has bid, initially, and still with the option of bidding higher, and until we know what that Trust says, nothing should be assumed. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wilson set it up to go to the highest bidder without giving the Trust any lattitude to do otherwise.

Also, is this bidding process, the second round, a secret ballot? ... or can bids be revised in more of an auction type of scenario. I haven't heard either way and don't recall how bidding for other teams in the NFL have gone. IIRC they're secret ballots with the winners having been the highest bidders. Maybe someone knows.
    Last edited by Fletch; 07-30-2014 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I really don't know who Treg Lewis is, but he is tweeting that the Toronto group bid 1.2B; Pegula 1.3B.

What seems pretty certain, call this speculation all you want, is that Pegula has made a strong offer that is for more than any NFL team has ever sold for. Everything WagonCircler wrote is correct. It would be an absolute PR nightmare for the NFL and the trust to go with anyone besides Pegula. And why would they want to? He is the ideal NFL owner.

15. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    I think it's dead.

A group bid requires a mojority owner, in which the majority owner has to front 30% of the groups bid himself. Reports are that Pegula has bid $1.3 billion. Bon Jovi I believe I saw doesn't have a net worth that's even half of that.

THAT, is what I meant by saying thar Pegula isn't playing. He blew the other two bidders out of the water right away. I think Pegula has well over a 90% of being a lock to getting the team.
    Bon Jovi wouldn't be the majority owner regardless. He'll own a piece, will be the front man for the franchise..but he won't be the mjaority owner..Rogers probably would own the majority.

Anyway...I like Pegula's aggressiveness.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm only mildly surprised that Golisano hasn't bid. He originally said that he would buy the Bills IF it was needed to keep them in Buffalo. No doubt he's talked to Pegula recently. They might have talked about not getting into a bidding war with each other. Pegula could always offer him a piece of the team later.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I really don't know who Treg Lewis is, but he is tweeting that the Toronto group bid 1.2B; Pegula 1.3B.

What seems pretty certain, call this speculation all you want, is that Pegula has made a strong offer that is for more than any NFL team has ever sold for. Everything WagonCircler wrote is correct. It would be an absolute PR nightmare for the NFL and the trust to go with anyone besides Pegula. And why would they want to? He is the ideal NFL owner.
    Playing devil's advocate, Goodell has often talked about a team in another country. The NFL PR machine could spin up "hands across the border" stuff.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    I'm only mildly surprised that Golisano hasn't bid. He originally said that he would buy the Bills IF it was needed to keep them in Buffalo. No doubt he's talked to Pegula recently. They might have talked about not getting into a bidding war with each other. Pegula could always offer him a piece of the team later.
    I think Tom G is Terry's ace in the hole. If the Toronto group decides to get really stupid and push the envelope towards $2BIL, then I think Golisano comes on board. And I think that's game, set, match.

The Toronto group already has three factions, Bon Jovi, Rodgers and The Maple Leaf Group. The NFL has made it clear, time and again, that they prefer a strong, single owner. I think Terry can outbid the Canadians by himself, but when you start to add up all the strikes against the Canadians, the fact that they're clearly lying about moving the team, the fact that their cobbled together bid would have to be chosen over a huge bid that fills out all the current requirements (Terry Pegs), the ironclad lease, the delicate political situation, the Bon Jovi group is FUCT. It's all just too much to overcome, especially in the context of Pegula's bid, his aggressiveness, his means, and his track record.

We're well into the 4th Quarter of this game and Terry P just took a 48-3 lead. Insurmountable.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pegula already won. Bid first, bid strong. He's not going to rebuild Buffalo and let the bills, the lifeblood of WNY, slip through his fingers.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I had to pull my bid once I found out how much Pegula bid. I'm just 1.399999 B short.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, Goodell has often talked about a team in another country. The NFL PR machine could spin up "hands across the border" stuff.
    Taking a storied franchise away from a loyal fan-base from a blue-collar town when there is an historical offer on the table with a stable owner dedicated to the city in order to "go international" would only play to those who think the guys with the black hats are the good guys . . . pretty weak, diablo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

have we learned nothing as buffalo sports fans? it isn't over until the doc is signed and there is a press conference and the owners ratify it.

i can totally see Pegula being on the inside track and then something just epicly awful occuring and we lose the team to Bret Michaels. or whatever other 80's singer that is excited to move this to a country that hasn't supported NFL football.

I am optimistic at what it seems like, but i also know buffalo has squandered more sure things in the past.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I think Tom G is Terry's ace in the hole. If the Toronto group decides to get really stupid and push the envelope towards $2BIL, then I think Golisano comes on board. And I think that's game, set, match.

The Toronto group already has three factions, Bon Jovi, Rodgers and The Maple Leaf Group. The NFL has made it clear, time and again, that they prefer a strong, single owner. I think Terry can outbid the Canadians by himself, but when you start to add up all the strikes against the Canadians, the fact that they're clearly lying about moving the team, the fact that their cobbled together bid would have to be chosen over a huge bid that fills out all the current requirements (Terry Pegs), the ironclad lease, the delicate political situation, the Bon Jovi group is FUCT. It's all just too much to overcome, especially in the context of Pegula's bid, his aggressiveness, his means, and his track record.

We're well into the 4th Quarter of this game and Terry P just took a 48-3 lead. Insurmountable.
    Not to mention BJs group aligned themselves with that weasel Congel.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

NY Post: Pegula Bids More Than $1 Billion for Bills

The Pegula's have said they're interested in keeping the team in Western New York.

Check out this story on WGRZ.com: http://on.wgrz.com/1rNHnPs