Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Terry with the Early Lead

Thanks
    Thanked 24,464 Times in 14,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Terry with the Early Lead

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I hate Schumer, but he has the power to c*ck block anyone who would move the team.
    What congressional power(s) do you think he has exactly?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 26,300 Times in 13,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    It's amazing how people that don't live in New York don't realize how much power Chuck Schumer really has.
    It's amazing how some people assume what people do or don't know based on where they live. I lived in NY for most of my life, and most of the time that I haven't been in NY was in the DC area.

I'm well aware that Schumer can make things difficult for the NFL. That's not the same as having the power to keep the team in Buffalo.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If reports Wednesday are true about how much Terry Pegula is prepared to bid on the Buffalo Bills, then Jon Bon Jovi and his Toronto bid group apparently are doomed.

Sources now tell Sun Media the Toronto group cannot ultimately bid as high as the $1.3 billion Pegula is reported to have submitted in Tuesday’s first round.

Probably the Toronto group’s bid limit will be about $1.2 billion, one source said. Another source said the limit likely is even less than that, just above $1 billion.

That’s why the sources dismissed reports Wednesday that contend the Toronto group placed a first bid as high as $1.2 billion.

Maybe that first bid was as high as $1 billion, sources said, but more likely it was in the $800-million to $900-million range.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl...ch-it-sources/
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

4. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (07-30-2014),Mace (07-30-2014),Parzival (08-01-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting thing I read somewhere, can't find it atm but may come up again, might be in the comments to the Buffnews article. Bon Jovi only has interest in being the controlling owner, he has limited money, NFL rules say controlling owner must own 30%.

30% of Pegula's opening bid just barely eliminates Bon Jovi's dream by his total net worth, and he'd be living not on a prayer but on fans couches if his group tried matching it, not being the controlling owner.

I think Pegula did his homework.

6. Post thanked by:

Topas (07-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It's amazing how some people assume what people do or don't know based on where they live. I lived in NY for most of my life, and most of the time that I haven't been in NY was in the DC area.

I'm well aware that Schumer can make things difficult for the NFL. That's not the same as having the power to keep the team in Buffalo.
    It sure is amazing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Interesting thing I read somewhere, can't find it atm but may come up again, might be in the comments to the Buffnews article. Bon Jovi only has interest in being the controlling owner, he has limited money, NFL rules say controlling owner must own 30%.

30% of Pegula's opening bid just barely eliminates Bon Jovi's dream by his total net worth, and he'd be living not on a prayer but on fans couches if his group tried matching it, not being the controlling owner.

I think Pegula did his homework.
    I'm sure Pegs knows what BJ's group's max offer can be. And poor BJ will never own an NFL team, if one of the cheapest can sell for more than he can afford. Sniff, sniff.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Yes I'm sure all the warm and fuzzy feelings will play into it...

For starters? How about that's all that matters.

Really Chuck Schumer? You mean the US Senator from Brooklyn who got 70% and 67% of the popular vote in 2004 and 2010? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Why would I be disappointed? I want the Bills to stay in Buffalo.
    Really Chuck Schumer. No matter your political affiliation, if you live in New York and love the bills and you don't vote for this guy you're nuts. The NFL does not want to mess with the guy who could be the next senate majority leader, and Schumer is very involved with keeping the team here. If the indicative bids are as reported this thing is a done deal, and it's pegulas team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The same threat congress always has.

Does the NFL want them to review the anti-trust exemption?

12. Post thanked by:

better days (07-31-2014),k-oneputt (07-31-2014),WagonCircler (07-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post

It'd be the worse case scenario there.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It's amazing how some of you are enamored by anyone who says they'll do anything in their power to keep the Bills in Buffalo regardless of the reality that the people saying it don't actually have the power to keep the Bills in Buffalo.
    Schumer may not have total power to keep the Bills in Buffalo but it is another hoop to jump through for anyone that wants to move the team.

You put up enough hoops & people either fail or give up.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He is one of the most well connected Senators in Washington, and has behind the scenes power to make things uncomfortable to impossible for anyone who wants to move this team.

Go after the NFL's monopoly status and it eventually crumbles and dies. Schumer has dirt on or is owed favors by nearly everyone in the Senate. Throw in the international angle and this is a slam dunk. This is from the FTC web site:

U.S. and foreign competition authorities may cooperate in investigating cross-border conduct that has an impact on U.S. consumers. For more information on the application of U.S. antitrust laws to businesses with international operations, consult the 1995 Antitrust Enforcement Guidelines for International Operations. In addition, as more U.S. companies and consumers do business overseas, federal antitrust work often involves cooperating with international authorities around the world to promote sound competition policy approaches.

Suits can be brought by States, or private citizens. A suit brought by the Senior Senator from NY, with major connections to the Justice Department? This is enough to make Roger Goodell and the NFL owners soil themselves.

There's no faster way to deflate their Billion+ dollar cash cows than an anti-trust suit. Especially one that has merit.

16. Post thanked by:

better days (07-31-2014),k-oneputt (07-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wow. This is really exciting. That would mean that something involving the Bills actually works out well and not the worst case happens.
    Being a Bills fan I am not used to something like this. I assume after us all got our hopes up, Pegula will get a heart attack and everything breaks down. That would just be the common Buffalo way.
    Imagine, if Pegula buys the team and also the Bills make the playoffs ... this would be more than I could handle ... I am not used to happiness when thinking about the Bills...
    Let's go Pegula, let's go Buffalo!

18. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    The same threat congress always has.

He doesn't chair that committee, and while he can call and request hearings he can't just make them happen. So again I ask, what congressional power(s) does Wagon think he has exactly?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He is one of the most well connected Senators in Washington, and has behind the scenes power to make things uncomfortable to impossible for anyone who wants to move this team.

Go after the NFL's monopoly status and it eventually crumbles and dies. Schumer has dirt on or is owed favors by nearly everyone in the Senate. Throw in the international angle and this is a slam dunk. This is from the FTC web site:

U.S. and foreign competition authorities may cooperate in investigating cross-border conduct that has an impact on U.S. consumers. For more information on the application of U.S. antitrust laws to businesses with international operations, consult the 1995 Antitrust Enforcement Guidelines for International Operations. In addition, as more U.S. companies and consumers do business overseas, federal antitrust work often involves cooperating with international authorities around the world to promote sound competition policy approaches.

Suits can be brought by States, or private citizens. A suit brought by the Senior Senator from NY, with major connections to the Justice Department? This is enough to make Roger Goodell and the NFL owners soil themselves.

There's no faster way to deflate their Billion+ dollar cash cows than an anti-trust suit. Especially one that has merit.
    I'm aware of the merits of the case and why the NFL is afraid of it, however you didn't address what I asked.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He doesn't chair that committee, and while he can call and request hearings he can't just make them happen. So again I ask, what congressional power(s) does Wagon think he has exactly?
    He already told you.......................read #71.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I did not say he could make them happen.

But certainly he has as much, or more, power than anybody that does chair that committee. Let's not act like he is powerless.

23. Post thanked by:

better days (07-31-2014),Night Train (07-31-2014),WagonCircler (07-31-2014)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Interesting hypothesis...
    Think about it. They are basically getting free information in this process. Learning the processes of owning/becoming an owner of an NFL franchise. The paper work, hoops you have to jump through, etc. All for basically nothing.

I would not be shocked, if in the next 5 years the same group pushes for an expansion franchise in Toronto. I don't even know if they really want to buy the Bills, to be honest. I think they are going through the motions for information.

I have no factual info on this, just pure speculation and common sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Think about it. They are basically getting free information in this process. Learning the processes of owning/becoming an owner of an NFL franchise. The paper work, hoops you have to jump through, etc. All for basically nothing.

I would not be shocked, if in the next 5 years the same group pushes for an expansion franchise in Toronto. I don't even know if they really want to buy the Bills, to be honest. I think they are going through the motions for information.

I have no factual info on this, just pure speculation and common sense.
    Toronto is in the Bills franchise territory. The Bills could veto a franchise there.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Toronto is in the Bills franchise territory. The Bills could veto a franchise there.
    I don't think they could, as it's international.

Also, I don't think it would really matter. The people who support (are fans of) The Bills, that live in Toronto or the GTA, aren't going to suddenly abandon the Bills for a new Toronto team.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I don't think they could, as it's international.

Also, I don't think it would really matter. The people who support (are fans of) The Bills, that live in Toronto or the GTA, aren't going to suddenly abandon the Bills for a new Toronto team.
    It happened when Toronto got the Raptors and the Blue Jays.

Many were fans of other teams until then.