Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bills Sale Has Turned Into A Circus

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Buffalo Bills Sale Has Turned Into A Circus

Quote Originally Posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
    Can you guys just stop it already?
    It is too funny to see them grasp at the last straw & watch it slip through their fingers.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I don't know if he will get the stadium built, but I can see him saying to the various levels of government that he has done his part buying the team and he expects them to fund at least 60% of the cost of a new stadium.

He will become resistant to putting in his own funds into a new stadium as he sees what happens when he raises Bills ticket prices over the next 6 years.
    As I said before, an $11 increase will put the Bills at the upper end of what 25 NFL teams charge.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    As I said before, an $11 increase will put the Bills at the upper end of what 25 NFL teams charge.
    I don't trust your calculations but if true it is only if you exclude premium seats and corporate boxes.

The truth is that the Bills have the cheapest tickets in the NFL other than Cleveland and Cleveland has more revenue coming from premium seats and corporate boxes than the Bills.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The deadline was a lifeline.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Because right now they only have two real bids (discount Trump who is not real) and one of those will move the team. I think there is a real intent on keeping the team here, but they also are not going to not try and have competition.
    But it's also pretty clear that Bon Jovi's ceiling is too low to beat out Pegula. So if those are the only two bidders we all acknowledge that Pegula's a shoe-in.

By introducing new bidders they only risk having Pegula get outbid. Why would they care about that if the primary goal is to sell to an owner that truly wants to keep the team in Buffalo?

You did not answer the question. I'll put it another way, they have competition, from the Toronto group, which has pushed the price tag high enough. And by insisting that, you're implying that the priority is "highest bidder," not "keeping the team in Buffalo."

So again, put another way, how does soliciting new and additional bids, and clearly not only from Golisano who still may not even bid, particularly if he was purely bidding to keep the team here when Pegula is now doing that, help keep the team in Buffalo?

Because the logic says plainly, the more bidders, the more likely that Pegula doesn't win. This isn't complicated.

I see absolutely nothing but lawsuits and a long drawn out process of appeals and the like if they solicit more bidders purely to drive Pegula's price up, then if he's not the highest bidder they award it to him anyway. That would be highly disingenuous and unethical. I don't see it happening. Which would mean that "keeping the team in Buffalo" likely isn't a significant part of the trust's instructions and that the only thing keeping the team here for the future would be this 10 year lease with its buyout clause that can be exercised after the 2019 season, and which I would see getting exercised if anyone but Pegula wins the bid.

Initially I was excited to hear the news about Pegula's bid and only three bidders. I thought that this was a best case scenario. Now this, soliciting more bids. I'm no longer nearly as excited. To me this stinks.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know if he will get the stadium built, but I can see him saying to the various levels of government that he has done his part buying the team and he expects them to fund at least 60% of the cost of a new stadium.

He will become resistant to putting in his own funds into a new stadium as he sees what happens when he raises Bills ticket prices over the next 6 years.
    Yeah, but you know that that's unreasonable, 60%. No NFL team has gotten that and certainly no teams in NYS including the Yankees, which are far more important to NYS and which have a far more extensive history both in terms of success/winning and of longetivity, not to mention classic names and such.

So if I read you right, you're saying that Pegula's doing this "from his end," but then on the back end he's going to be telling the state (and county to a lesser extent) that looking beyond 2022 they're going to have to ante-up?

That doesn't sound like the Pegula that has been pitched to me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't trust your calculations but if true it is only if you exclude premium seats and corporate boxes.

The truth is that the Bills have the cheapest tickets in the NFL other than Cleveland and Cleveland has more revenue coming from premium seats and corporate boxes than the Bills.
    The Jags also have cheaper seats than the Bills as of now according to CBS sports.com.

And yes average ticket price is only for general admission seats.

So Pegula won't make as much as Jerry Jones on sale of seats.................few people do.

SpikedLemonade

So Pegula won't make as much as Jerry Jones on sale of seats.................few people do.
    Pegula won't make as much money as any other NFL owner and yet you expect him to use his own money for a new stadium?

Never going to happen.

Pegula will tell Goodall to shut up about a new stadium and just play in the Ralph until it literally crumbles.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pegula won't make as much money as any other NFL owner and yet you expect him to use his own money for a new stadium?

Never going to happen.

Pegula will tell Goodall to shut up about a new stadium and just play in the Ralph until it literally crumbles.
    No I don't expect Pegula to pay the entire cost of a new Stadium.

But I do expect a new Stadium to be built in the next decade....................in WNY.

SpikedLemonade

But I do expect a new Stadium to be built in the next decade....................in WNY.
    Then grandpa you need to come home and start paying taxes in WNY along with another couple hundred thousand other people who have left Buffalo for greener pastures.

11. Post thanked by:

Fletch (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Never going to happen.

Yeah, something's gonna give. I just don't see Pegula shelling out $2B+ of his own money on a team and a new stadium when he has zero chance of ever recouping that as long as the team remains in Buffalo.

One thing that we're all overlooking, or at least most of us are overlooking, is what I think you implied earlier, that he's taking the first step to keep the team here and is going to put the ball in the court of the state and county in several years to do its share. If you think about it, who could argue. He's the only one that anyone had the faith in to keep the team here. According to everyone here anyone else (BJ/Tannenbaum Group or Trump) will move the team for sure.

He'll have done what Wilson could easily have done while Wilson was alive, while simultaneously having had a new owner back then put some of the extra cash that Pegula will have had to spend just to get the team now, into a stadium instead, which coupled with what the state provided for the renovation, may very well have been enough to have gotten us that new stadium that's required.

13. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So in essence, you're ignoring any and all history in the matter, ignoring what NYS's governor has said, ignoring the fact that any contribution by Erie County is negligible, and insisting that they're all going to pony up a good portion of the cost of a new stadium.

Got it.

Think this over. Wilson while he was alive, and before signing that stupid $150M renovation deal (I think it was), could have sold the team to Pegula for the estimated value of $870M, hell, let's round up and say $900M.

That would have left Pegula $400M off his current bid, which according to all the cheerleaders here he's willing to pay much more, so maybe more than that $400M.

Throw in that $150 that the state (and county?) paid for the renovation resulting in nothing but a 10-year lease with an out after 7, and that would have been at least $550M towards a new stadium. I find that a lot more palatable to anyone than $1.3B or upwards for the team and nothing or much less from the state and nothing significant from the county and another $800M to $1B needed for a stadium.

But again, yeah, Ralph did all he could to keep the team in Buffalo. Let's face it, Ralph was serving Ralph, no one else.

Instead we get this scenario.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I love how people who don't live here think some great renaissance is happening.

Buffalo is great...but it's the same place it was in 2004 and the same place it was in 1994.

16. Post thanked by:

Fletch (08-01-2014),swiper (08-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I love how people who don't live here think some great renaissance is happening.

Buffalo is great...but it's the same place it was in 2004 and the same place it was in 1994.

Even with the expansion of the medical center and the news on the renewable energy place?

I am not saying that there is a great resurgance, but saying it is the same place is just flat out wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post

It is due to the guilt they feel for leaving Buffalo for greener pastures.

SpikedLemonade

Even with the expansion of the medical center and the news on the renewable energy place?
    Lipstick on a pig.

I was shocked what my hometown of Hamilton has become when I toured it recently, but it is nothing compared to what I saw of my tour of downtown Buffalo last September.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    But it's also pretty clear that Bon Jovi's ceiling is too low to beat out Pegula. So if those are the only two bidders we all acknowledge that Pegula's a shoe-in.

By introducing new bidders they only risk having Pegula get outbid. Why would they care about that if the primary goal is to sell to an owner that truly wants to keep the team in Buffalo?

You did not answer the question. I'll put it another way, they have competition, from the Toronto group, which has pushed the price tag high enough. And by insisting that, you're implying that the priority is "highest bidder," not "keeping the team in Buffalo."

So again, put another way, how does soliciting new and additional bids, and clearly not only from Golisano who still may not even bid, particularly if he was purely bidding to keep the team here when Pegula is now doing that, help keep the team in Buffalo?

Because the logic says plainly, the more bidders, the more likely that Pegula doesn't win. This isn't complicated.

I see absolutely nothing but lawsuits and a long drawn out process of appeals and the like if they solicit more bidders purely to drive Pegula's price up, then if he's not the highest bidder they award it to him anyway. That would be highly disingenuous and unethical. I don't see it happening. Which would mean that "keeping the team in Buffalo" likely isn't a significant part of the trust's instructions and that the only thing keeping the team here for the future would be this 10 year lease with its buyout clause that can be exercised after the 2019 season, and which I would see getting exercised if anyone but Pegula wins the bid.

Initially I was excited to hear the news about Pegula's bid and only three bidders. I thought that this was a best case scenario. Now this, soliciting more bids. I'm no longer nearly as excited. To me this stinks.
    Of course the more bidders it will, at least in theory, make it harder for Pegula. But that assumes that somebody else jumps in. Or that people were not scared off by him. Allowing more time for initial (non-binding) bids to come only gives them another chance to get actual competition. As was explained, if there are only two bids and one drops out then the remaining guy can low ball and they are stuck. Keeping multiple people going for it will make Pegule remain "honest". So it might not be about the highest bid, but also about not getting a minimal return.

As for there being lawsuits and the such if the bring more bids and still award to Pegula that depends, as many of us have explained to you and others numerous times, if his bid is compliant with the trust then there are no suits.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Lipstick on a pig.

I was shocked what my hometown of Hamilton has become when I toured it recently, but it is nothing compared to what I saw of my tour of downtown Buffalo last September.

And how much do you know about either project?

You might as well explain both to us, because clearly you know more about it.

SpikedLemonade

And how much do you know about either project?

You might as well explain both to us, because clearly you know more about it.
    Only what I read. I hope it is all that you think it will be, but that city needs a lot of lipstick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Only what I read. I hope it is all that you think it will be, but that city needs a lot of lipstick.

And what did you read?

Have you also seen the improvements in the downtown area at Canalside? The Phillips Lytle building? The Harbor Center?

I am not saying Buffalo is totally fixed. But to not acknowledge that there are positives lately is foolish.