Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why did we lose our 8 games last season?

Drew and Sam stole all my hair WG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Why did we lose our 8 games last season?

With all the bashing of myself in standing up for the defense last season, I decided to detail for all of those who can't seem to face reality the basics in why we lost all of our 8 games last season.

Partyline is that our D played poorly thus overcoming tremendous offensive efforts by the offense. Drew has been praised for "having to do everything" as well. Did he? So let's see if all that is true, shall we! Let's proceed:

The first game we lost was the very first Jet game which went to O/T.

Perception: D and STs lost the game for us.

Reality:

The defense allowed only 266 total net yards!
    Each team had one lost fumble.
    The Bills had 2 INTs to the Jets 0.
    STs allowed 1 TD in regulation.
    Drew's INT set the Jets up at the Bills 19 YL for their 2nd TD on the very next drive!
    In O/T, the Bills STs allowed a TD.

Reason for the loss?

Defense: Hardly!
    STs: Partly
    Offense: Drew's INT setting up a Jet TD at our own 19!

If either the STs regulation TD or Drew's INT don't happen, then the Bills win in O/T. Both share responsibility equally!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...020908_NYJ@BUF

In the second loss:

D held Bronco O to 342 total. Portis had just over 100.
    Henry fumbled to cost us a win!
    Bledsoe played very well.

In the third loss:

Perception: D lost the game for us.

Reality:

Both teams played similarly.
    Raiders D allowed 479 total net yards, Bills allowed 495 TNY
    Bills held Raiders to 50% 3rd down efficiency, Bills were 47%.
    Bills ran 18 times to the Raiders 27, Bills averaged 4.4 YPC
    Bills passed 53 times to the Raiders 38 times
    Neither team had lost fumbles
    Bills had 3 INTs and 5 sacks, Raiders had 0 INTs and 1 sack
    Leading by 3, Drew set up a Raider TD w/ an INT giving them the ball at the Bills 32 YL w/ ~ 8 min. to go in the 3rd Q.
    Trailing by only 4 points w/ over 8 minutes to go in the game, Drew tosses an INT to Buchanon, the rookie CB, who returns it for a TD. Raiders up by 11.
    On the very next drive, Drew gets sacked on 1st and 2nd down losing 12 yards and then throws incomplete on 3rd down forcing a punt.
    On the very next drive, Drew tosses an INT on 2nd-and-7 at the Raider 7 YL to ice the game!

Reasons for the loss:

Defense: Played not well, but as well as the Raider D played.
    STs: Played OK
    Offense: The difference in the game was 3 Drew INTs 2 of which gave the Raiders 14 points on a short field, the third cost the Bills 7 points for a 21 point swing; the only TOs of the game and 5 sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...021006_OAK@BUF

In the fourth loss:

A poor game v. N.E. from top to bottom.
    Drew played poorly.
    D played poorly
    STs played poorly
    Coaching SUCKED!!! Major reason for the loss IMO.

In the fifth loss:

The Bills D held the K.C. O, the #1 offense in the league, in K.C., to only 320 yards total offense.
    D held Priest Holmes to only 104 rushing yards on a 3.4 YPC avg.
    D held K.C. O to only 36% 3rd-down-efficiency.
    Henry had 126 yards on 5.3 YPC
    STs played well; avg. starting FP for K.C. at their own 25
    The lone TO in the game was the difference here!!!
    W/ 4:26 remaining, and trailing by only a single point, On 2nd-and-10 from the K.C. 40 YL, Drew throws an INT to end the game!

Reason for the loss:

Just like Henry's fumble in the Denver game cost us that game, Drew's single INT cost us this!!! Completely unnessecary BTW!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playby...0021117_BUF@KC

In the sixth loss:

Bills held the Jets to 325 total net yards and 7/14, 50% 3rd-down-efficiency.
    STs and 2 Drew INTs gave the Jets great field position all game.
    Tied at 3, on 1st-and-10, Drew tosses an INT to set the Jets up at the 50 for their first TD putting them up by 7.
    Down by that 7, Drew tosses a second INT on the very next drive to set the Jets up for their 2nd TD near midfield at the Jet 42.
    On the very next drive, Drew goes 1 for 4 to force a punt.
    Other than the 14 points set up by Drew, the D allows only 17 others.
    The O only puts up 13 points on the game.
    Henry has one fumble, but the only result is an 11 yard change in field position as the Bills get the ball right back.
    Only 3 TOs in that game, 2 are Drew's leading to 14 Jet points.
    In spite of averaging 4.9 YPC and having had ~ 150 yards v. the Jets in the first game, Henry only gets 17 carries to Drew's 33 passing attempts.
    Drew has a 52.7 rating for the game.

Reasons for the loss:

D: played well enough to win easily.
    STs: allowed Jets very good field position
    Henry: played better than we should expect, wasn't used much.
    Drew: Also a factor in Jets great field position, his 2 INTs leading to 14 Jet points the largest factor in the loss.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...021124_BUF@NYJ

In the 7th loss:

In foxborough, the Bills D held the Pat O to only 175 yards of total net offense!
    STs played OK w/ avg. starting FP for the Pats at the Pat 28 YL on non-TO related drives.
    Avg. Starting FP for the Pats off of 5 Bills TOs was the Bills 36 YL!!!
    17 of the Pats' 27 points came off of Bills TOs, 2 Drew INTs + 1 Price FUM, giving the Pats an avg. starting FP on those 3 TOs at the Bills' 19 YL!!!
    Bills' D held the Pats to only 36%, 4 of 11 3rd-down-eff.
    Bills' D held the Pats to only 3.4 YPC and less than 100 yards rushing!
    Bills had 5 TOs; Drew 4, Price 1; Pats had 0!!!

Reasons for the loss:

D: Played well enough to win!
    STs: Played well enough to win!
    O: Bledsoe INTs set up 10 Pat points, Price's FUM set up another 7; 4 Bledsoe INTs gave the Pats avg. starting FP at our 28 YL on 4 drives!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...0021208_BUF@NE

In the 8th loss:

D held the Pack to 33% 3rd-down-eff. 5 of 15
    D held the Pack to 223 total net yards
    On the Bills' 1st drive of the game, Drew tosses an INT on 3rd-and-4 at the Packer 4 YL to cost us 7.
    W/ 9 minutes remaining trailing by 3-0, Drew fumbles on 3rd-and-14 setting the Packers up at the Bills' 39 YL for their sole TD of the game!
    On 2nd-and-10 inside the Packer red zone at the Pack 17 YL, Drew fumbles again w/ ~ 1:20 left in the game to cost the Bills a chance at the win.

Reasons for the loss:

D: Played well enough to win!
    STs: Played well enough to win; Avg. starting FP at the Pack 28 on non-TO drives. Played as well as Pack STs, perhaps better.
    O: Drew's 2 INTs costing the Bills 10-14 points and setting up a Pack TD for a 17-21 point swing in a 10-0 game was the reason for the loss!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebo...0021222_BUF@GB

So as you can plainly see, and don't believe me by all means, go verify all that for yourself, but as you can plainly see, Drew was almost singlehandedly instrumental in the Bills losing 4-5 games last season!!!

In fact, the Bills also beat S.D. and Miami in the first Fin game in spite of Drew's total inability to lead the team to more than 20 and 16 points, largely b/c of Henry in the S.D. game.

Those are the facts. Funny how different they are from the perceptions, eh!

Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Good article, Wys

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks.....

You OK?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Wys Guy

Thanks.....

You OK?

Yeah,

I'm sure you're not used to many people agreeing with you, but I'm not a Drew Bledsoe buttkisser like others.

If I only had a dollar for evertime I swore at him the last 8 games of the year...

He was miserable and I don't know how so many people can try to make excuses for him. Not everybody wears rose colored glasses I guess.

He might've been the best available QB we could've had at the time, but it doesn't mean you have ignore all the flaws during the end of the season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    If Drew Bledsoe would've played average football the last 8 games of the year we would've been in the playoffs. Maybe even a little below average would've gotten us in. He played well below average though.

I know Wys will know this. How many TO's did he have in the last 8 games? I'd say about 17+/- off the top of my head.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    No, it wasn't that many. In the last 8 he had 10 INTs and 4 lost fumbles.

It was really the last 10 games that he started playing like one of the worst QBs in the league even though he had no more TOs those two prior games. I mean we averaged only 18.5 PPG over the last 10! What else needs to be said. After that 38-21 shellacking of the Fins, we only averaged 16.5 over the other 9 games. One of those games was the first Fin game where the D put up 7 as well. That drops the offensive scoring average into the 15s for those 9 games!

That's horrible!!! Only two teams in the league averaged less than 16 PPG, Dallas and Houston. Our offense was so much better than theirs that it's silly! So for us to have played to such a level for over half the season is pathetic! I blame Gilbride as much as I blame Drew.

Where he had major league issues was in playing the good/best teams.

He tossed all 15 of his INTs and added 3 lost fumbles in the games vs.:

N.E. (8-8) twice
    Jets (9-7) twice
    G.B. (12-4)
    K.C. (8-8)
    Oakland (11-5)

They represented 18 of the team's 22 TOs in those games. It's impossible for any objective person to ignore.

I fully agree, we didn't need much from him last season to make the playoffs, just not to give 3 or 4 games away as indicated above. I mean think about it, if we win the K.C. game and any other game that he was horrendous in, then we win the division.

But what has galled me for quite some time is this notion that the D sucked all season long. It's simply not true. And when you consider the complete lack of talent in the front 7, I think it's pretty amazing how well we did do and how we did improve as the year went on. Think about it, we started Robinson, a platoon at one DT, Ahanotu at DE and only two LBs for the most part!

Oh well, like I said, I don't think there's any doubt that this is all gonna become much more clear this season as well.

short bus extraordinaire SABURZFAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    don't encourage him BF.
    Quote Originally Posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I can't wait to check out this thread in a few hours...

Talk about Zonebucks...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Answer me this why did we win 5 more than the season before im we were alot better off with drew than johnson but you will probably disagree with me so I guess we should just sign johnson back and then we can go to the big dance. What are you thinking bledsoe is part of the reason we went 8-8 if we had johnson he would have found some way to screw it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Why did we have the most potent O during the start of the season? Why was Drew considered the MVP of the firt half? Why did Drew break a lot of franchise records? Keep harping on the negatives and forgetting completely about the positive side.

Sure the D picked up towards the end of the season. Just like the year before. Drew scored enough points to beat the jets in the first game. Just like someone said, he also scored enough points to have beaten the raiders if only the D did their part. If the D did their job in just those 2 games WE WOULD"VE MADE THE PLAYOFFS!!!So get over it, Drew has made his mistakes and so has the D.

BTW, it's easy to keep your opponents to just 10 points if Lucas keeps giving the ball to your D. Don't give the D too much credit for that game wys and then blast Drew and if in case you didn't notice, we won that game.Don't know what you're complaining about. I'm not sure if you were at that game but I was there live.

Give it up wys. Rob Johnson isn't coming back. I'm not signing your petition.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 07-17-2003 at 07:30 AM.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Oh no, not another Wys' Drew-bashing thread.

I should've NEVER clicked on this thread, like I usually don't.

With a QB of Drew Bledsoe's caliber at the helm, Wys' already tearing him apart. Imagine what you'd say about Jay Fiedler? You're lucky you're not a Dolphins fan.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
    You're lucky you're not a Dolphins fan.
    You sure about that?:finfan:

Registered User TheGhostofJimKelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Sorry to shoot down that long post but one or two plays don't lose games nor does one player. Sure there are contributing factors that go into each and every game. It is as easy to lay the blame on Drew because he is the quarterback, but you can just as easy lay blame to Travis Henry for fumbling, the wide receivers not running the right routes, or the offensive line not protecting for the extra couple of seconds. You can say the defensive line could have played better, the cornerbacks could have gotten an extra pick, or special teams could have held the opposing team to worse field position. I have to say that if you blame a loss on one guy or one play, then you have never played the game of football. It is a team loss and a team win.
    Last edited by TheGhostofJimKelly; 07-17-2003 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    NEWSFLASH!!!!

THIS JUST IN!!!! DREW BLEDSOE WAS THE ONLY QB IN THE LEAGUE TO THROW AN INTERCEPTION!

now back to our regularly scheduled Bledsoe bashing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
    Sorry to shoot down that long post but one or two plays don't lose games. Sure there are contributing factors that go into each and every game. It is as easy to lay the blame on Drew because he is the quarterback, but you can just as easy lay blame to Travis Henry for fumbling, the wide receivers not running the right routes, or the offensive line not protecting for the extra couple of seconds. I have to say that if you blame a loss on one guy or one play, then you have never played the game of football. It is a team loss and a team win.
    Brilliant post.

Some people just don't understand the game enough...

Where the people look good, where the music is loud
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Why did we lose 8 games last year ?

Why is the sky blue ?

Why do those little things at the end of your shoelaces that keep them from fraying break off after @ a year & 1/2.

These, and many other anal-retentive questions can be answered ad nauseum at Billsfanzone. Type in "wys guy" or "i want to string drew bledsoe up " under search.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I typed in "simple reason for complex problem" and I came up with "Blame Bledsoe."

Drew's my hero!
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I have Wys on ignore and I can still tell this is a terrible thread.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    WYS time to give it a rest. Anyone who actually saw those games could see who was inept. The O wasn't great but the D stunk. When our St's are on the field to stop their ST's I consider them D.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by ryven
    Answer me this why did we win 5 more than the season before im we were alot better off with drew than johnson but you will probably disagree with me so I guess we should just sign johnson back and then we can go to the big dance. What are you thinking bledsoe is part of the reason we went 8-8 if we had johnson he would have found some way to screw it up.
    First of all, you have to look at each game individually which is something that you Bledsoe lovers refuse to do b/c it sheds light on [i]exactly that![/b]

E.g.:

Why did we beat Miami in game 1? Was it on the strength of 16 offensive points?

How about why we beat S.D.? Did Drew do anything [i]but[/b] sh** the bed in that game?

How about We beat the same caliber teams the year prior!

No, how much of it has to do w/ an OL of Jennings, Brown, Teague, Sullivan, and Williams over a patchwork OL of Fina, Brown, Conaty, Hulsey, Ostroski, Hollenbeck, Farris, etc.

How well do you think Drew would have played behind the line that started that season?

Fina, Brown, Conaty, Hulsey, and Jennings as a rookie? Farris even got some playing time! Do you think Drew wouldn't have given up 80 or more sacks? Do you really believe that he'd have had over 4,000 yards?

Come on! That's ridiculous and you know it ryven! See, this is the problem here, you and everyone else just keep throwin' up sh** on the wall over, and over, and over again hoping to cover up the mural w/ something. Too bad what you're throwin' up you see as art.