Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few random thoughts & opinions...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A few random thoughts & opinions...

Just wanted to get a few things out, and see what you's have to say/think…

(in no particular order)

- K'wanjo is terrible. Bad feet, VERY slow off the ball, poor balance, and really struggles versus speedy edge pass rushers. Like a few have said, and I totally agree, if he wasn't a 2nd round pick, he'd get cut.

- EJ isn't as bad as so many of you make him out to be. I think he's looked a little better actually. Quick dec's, fairly accurate, and has moved the chains when he's out there. Would like to see more shots down the field, and less checks to the rb's, and short routes, but that very well be preseason schemes (or lack there of) or Hackett's offensive attack (or lack there of)

- CJ Spiller is not Fred Jackson. Fred is consistent. He gets at least 2 yards or more every carry. Fred is a very complete back, and to compare the 2 is not fair. CJ is a home run hitting RB. He doesn't consistently get positive yardage like Fred, but at anytime, he can break a 20+ yard carry, which is why he is our best back, and we also need to lay off him. He's looked good as well, and I think so many are way too quick to judge.

- Tuel is totally outperforming Thad Lewis, but thats not saying much, b/c Lewis is so pathetic right now, he makes my eyes bleed.

- Our def is improved, but we have been very bad at letting QB's scramble away from pressure.

- Bradham, Corey Graham, and Duke Williams have all impressed me w/ the 1st team def reps. Landon Cohen, & Stefan Charles are really playing well with the 2's, along with Randall Johnson, Preston Brown, and Cockeral.

- TJ Graham is gone any day now.

- Sean'Trel Henderson was a steal in the 7th round. He looks like the 2nd rounder, and K'wanjo looks like the 7th rounder (actually looks like JV but..)

- If we keep 4 backs & Summers, what bubble guy gets cut?? THere are going to be 2-3 guys that we thought would make it or have been on the team before that get cut.

- THis has nothing to do w/ anything, but my wife re-upped our NFL Sunday Ticket again!! Every Sunday here its Bills, Wings, Anger or Joy (win or loss), then nap!!

- Go Bills, sorry if I missed something obvious.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

2. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BuffaloRedleg (08-18-2014),Dr. Lecter (08-18-2014),Mace (08-19-2014),mysticsoto (08-19-2014),Night Train (08-18-2014),Skooby (08-18-2014),SquishDaFish (08-18-2014),THATHURMANATOR (08-18-2014),trapezeus (08-18-2014),YardRat (08-18-2014),Yasgur's Farm (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A few random thoughts & opinions...

The first string offense has yet to go three and out this pre-season. No TDs produced yet, though.

4. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-21-2014),Yasgur's Farm (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,468 Times in 7,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Freddie is still the man. Glad they extended him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Freddie is still the man. Glad they extended him.
    There's been a couple times this preseason where it looked like he lost a step, but he looked good the other night and it's only preseason so I'm hoping we see the same Freddy as last season. I don't want to see him getting carries down around the goal line, unless it's from a spread set. I hate that "jumbo package" at the goal line, it leaves you with very few options and trying to blast Freddy through the middle of it really hasn't been working.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Please don't mis-interpret what I'm about to say since I never in my mind have them to be equal from this point on somewhere in their career.

The 2001 version Tom Brady, in his 2nd year before he got famous towards the end of season, was doing pretty much what Manuel has shown so far pre-season: making short safe throws, moving the chain, limiting mistakes. But he was decisive and for the most part, making right decisions. He had a 63% completion that year.

Manuel this far is more or less moving towards that direction. I believe he can make an improvement on his completion from last's year almost 59% into the low 60s.

Again, many people start in humble beginning like Brady, but only Brady becomes the superstar following through his development. I don't know about Manuel and I frankly don't care about that right now. What I want to point out is in 2001, with that kind of quarterbacking, NE won. I want to point out that the Bills D may not measure up to NE D in 2001 where rookie Seymour simply dominated on the D line (I know I was at the Pats - Steelers playoff game and saw that first handed), but the Bills offense definitely has more weapons than the Pats then.

Let's hope Watkins will give the Bills the same impact as Seymour did for the Pats 13 years ago (yes I know Watkins having to have the ball in his hands to make an impact).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,468 Times in 7,085 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    There's been a couple times this preseason where it looked like he lost a step, but he looked good the other night and it's only preseason so I'm hoping we see the same Freddy as last season. I don't want to see him getting carries down around the goal line, unless it's from a spread set. I hate that "jumbo package" at the goal line, it leaves you with very few options and trying to blast Freddy through the middle of it really hasn't been working.
    he looked worse last years preseason. He then went on to have his best season.

9. Post thanked by:

kishoph (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Please don't mis-interpret what I'm about to say since I never in my mind have them to be equal from this point on somewhere in their career.

The 2001 version Tom Brady, in his 2nd year before he got famous towards the end of season, was doing pretty much what Manuel has shown so far pre-season: making short safe throws, moving the chain, limiting mistakes. But he was decisive and for the most part, making right decisions. He had a 63% completion that year.

Manuel this far is more or less moving towards that direction. I believe he can make an improvement on his completion from last's year almost 59% into the low 60s.

Again, many people start in humble beginning like Brady, but only Brady becomes the superstar following through his development. I don't know about Manuel and I frankly don't care about that right now. What I want to point out is in 2001, with that kind of quarterbacking, NE won. I want to point out that the Bills D may not measure up to NE D in 2001 where rookie Seymour simply dominated on the D line (I know I was at the Pats - Steelers playoff game and saw that first handed), but the Bills offense definitely has more weapons than the Pats then.

Let's hope Watkins will give the Bills the same impact as Seymour did for the Pats 13 years ago (yes I know Watkins having to have the ball in his hands to make an impact).
    This is why it's so stupid when people say things like, "I just want to see EJ make throws down the field like Tom Brady." Not even Tom Brady himself as a young qb played anything like MVP/HOF Tom Brady. He was the definition of a "dink and dunk" "system" qb that benefited from good coaching, a strong running game, and a great defense. Even a lot of NE fans questioned if he would ever be more than just a "game manager". If you're not willing to give a young qb a chance to develop and grow, you're never going to have a qb. You can't just toss everyone in the garbage because they're not Andrew Luck from day 1.

As for Kouandjio, he's definitely been the biggest disappointment so far, but the Henderson pick at least makes up for it or buys him time to develop. I think it's important to keep in mind though, that he just turned 21. Cordy Glenn was 23 during his rookie year. So at least we're not depending on him to be a starter this year to grow and hopefully be much improved by next season.

11. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (08-21-2014),Yasgur's Farm (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    he looked worse last years preseason. He then went on to have his best season.
    That's why you can't put a lot into preseason games, coaches are trying out different players, different plays and working on things that need to be worked on, along with not wanting to show too much of what they are going to be doing in the regular season. The players are giving close to a full effort, but when it counts, there is a big difference. The Super Bowl teams of the Bills had horrible preseasons and were a completely different team when the games counted. The 90 Bills lost every preseason game, then went on to their 1st Super Bowl. The 2008 Detroit Lions won every preseason game and went 0 and 16 in the regular season. So trying to predict what the team will do because of it's preseason is like trying to predict what they'll do by watching "Housewives of Atlanta", which I think quite a few members here are doing.

13. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-21-2014),justasportsfan (08-18-2014),SquishDaFish (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Brady's preseason stats from 2001 were 31-of-54 (57.4%) for 384 Yards (7.1 YPA), 2 TD, 0 Int, 91.9 QB Rating.

Manuel's preseason stats this year are 28-of-47 (59.6%) for 263 Yards (5.6 YPA), 0 TD, 1 Int, 61.2 QB Rating.

I don't think that says anything about either player.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pretty sure Brady played with and against 2nd stringers in 2001 pre-season.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pretty sure Brady played with and against 2nd stringers in 2001 pre-season.
    I'd hesitate to compare completion percentages garnered 13 years ago, to today. Many a rule change favoring passing during that time span...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Difference is brady back in 2001 could read a defense. EJ cant. I'll also go as far as saying that most of the qb's in this past draft look better than ej.
    cant put the entire blame on EJ, it wasnt his fault that he was drafted in the first round. its just another chapter in why the bills havent made the playoffs in 14 yeras

18. Post thanked by:

Fletch (08-20-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

True and that is a bit disheartening. However we are driving, converting 3rd downs, and there is a clear showing of improvement. Just not in the red zone, yet

Thanks
    Thanked 9,886 Times in 4,013 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

People really aren't going to start with these comparisons to Tom Brady again, are they? God...there were enough "I'm not saying he's Tom Brady..but" comments during the Trent Edwards era.

When he wins a SB.. then the comparisons can be made...I'll love them ..I'll chime in...I'll scream "YOU'RE RIGHT!!"

Until then...you're looking at a guy who threw 11 TD passes last year and led the worst red zone offense in the NFL.

You're looking at a guy who hasn't led a TD drive in 3 games.

"Moving the chains" was a Trent Edwards war cry..."get it in the endzone" wasn't.

He's a lot closer to Trent Edwards right now than he is to Tom Brady, past or present.

Someone needs to put up a Captain Checkdown poster near his locker to remind him where he can end up if he continues.

21. Post thanked by:

jlgarsh (08-21-2014),Mace (08-19-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mostly agree with the OP, to date, in fact a lot of my thoughts are the same.

Also agree with Cookie G. which kind of leads to the obvious, Manuel is so far looking adept at dink and dunk, which is somewhere to start I suppose if he doesn't get stuck there.

I'm less worried about Kouandjio. He seems like an angry guy motivated to improve, as opposed to the relentlesly passive once upon a time Mike Williams the tackle. I think Henderson does buy him time to improve. I don't think getting beaten up harms him, I think it will drive him, remains to be seen of course.

CJ Spiller. Well, I still think the guy is a great player we don't know how to use, and by now I'm unsure if we will ever figure it out though I'm supremely confident someone else will. This is his 5th year though, so I can't agree with it being too early to judge. He doesn't seem inclined to use that speed to go flying through gaps but still seems to think he needs run sideways to find a better chance. I don't really understand why this is, with his speed he's perfect for taking the first gap he sees, unless he's not seeing them, in which case any OC would be wise to not run him so much but throw to him everywhere and all over as much as possible. To do that they'd need to be not obvious and I don't know Hackett is yet wily enough to disguise anything, well enough.

I watched the Cleveland game yesterday. I don't know how Schwartz's D will play out but I sure miss Pettine's already.
    Last edited by Mace; 08-19-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brady had/has an awesome cheating system in place. Can't compare him with EJ.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I still don't get the Trent Edwards comparisons. EJ is throwing short routes on 1st and 2nd downs and is typically doing a good job of converting on 3rd downs. Trent's problem was that he'd settle for 4 yards on a 3rd and 8. EJ's making a clear effort to convert on every 3rd down, he's not just checking down for the sake of getting half the yards he needs to get before we punt it away.

25. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (08-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by elltrain22 View Post
    Just wanted to get a few things out, and see what you's have to say/think…

(in no particular order)

- EJ isn't as bad as so many of you make him out to be. I think he's looked a little better actually. Quick dec's, fairly accurate, and has moved the chains when he's out there. Would like to see more shots down the field, and less checks to the rb's, and short routes, but that very well be preseason schemes (or lack there of) or Hackett's offensive attack (or lack there of)
    He has? Moved the chains while he's out there?

Based on what?

This preseason the drives with him in the game have been 17 yards, 10 yards, 78 yards (failed to punch it in), 13 yards, 35 yards (28 of which was on one pass play), 44 yards (FG), 27 yards, 39 yards (FG), 61 yards (drive ended on Manuel incompletion), 39 yards (Manuel was 1-for-3 for 0 yards with a 1st-and-GTG at the Pitt 6).

You think he moves the ball?

10, 13, 17, 27, 35, 39, 39, 44 (FG), 61, and 78.

Sorry, not seeing it.

Same with Spiller, he may crack a long one every now and again, but it's the 20 carries in between where he does nothing, his uselessness on 3rd-downs, and his limited play otherwise that doesn't cut it. He's a role player, not a starting 3-down RB. He should be treated as such.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    He has? Moved the chains while he's out there?

Based on what?

This preseason the drives with him in the game have been 17 yards, 10 yards, 78 yards (failed to punch it in), 13 yards, 35 yards (28 of which was on one pass play), 44 yards (FG), 27 yards, 39 yards (FG), 61 yards (drive ended on Manuel incompletion), 39 yards (Manuel was 1-for-3 for 0 yards with a 1st-and-GTG at the Pitt 6).

You think he moves the ball?

10, 13, 17, 27, 35, 39, 39, 44 (FG), 61, and 78.

Sorry, not seeing it.

Same with Spiller, he may crack a long one every now and again, but it's the 20 carries in between where he does nothing, his uselessness on 3rd-downs, and his limited play otherwise that doesn't cut it. He's a role player, not a starting 3-down RB. He should be treated as such.
    I hope chandler can consistently kick 53.7 yd fgs. Our average yds per drive is 36.3 add the 20 touchback and thats what he will be facing on average.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    I still don't get the Trent Edwards comparisons. EJ is throwing short routes on 1st and 2nd downs and is typically doing a good job of converting on 3rd downs. Trent's problem was that he'd settle for 4 yards on a 3rd and 8. EJ's making a clear effort to convert on every 3rd down, he's not just checking down for the sake of getting half the yards he needs to get before we punt it away.
    You sure about that?

Did you look at Manuel's 3rd-down-conversion % for last season?

47.5%, 5.15 ypa, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 61.4 rating.

Jason Campbell was better at 57.9%, 6.72, 81.6 rating, 2 TDs, 1 INT

Geno Smith was better at 56.3%, 7.58 ypa, 77.7 rating, 5 TDs, 5 INTs

Manuel was one of the worst 3rd-down QBs in the league last season.

Against Pittsburgh this preseason he went 5 for 8 on 3rds, but every drive stalled on a Manuel incompletion on 3rd, an interception, or his failing to convert.

He was 2-for-4 on 3rds against Carolina, two of his three drives stalling with the ball in his hands.

He was 0-for-2 against the Giants with both drives stalling on his incompletions.