Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thankfully, no whining about the schedule this year

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Thankfully, no whining about the schedule this year

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    im still bent about that fake wrist surgery he had.
    I know!

Here's how I picture an average day in your life.

Somewhere in Clearwater, FL...

BFZ regular coastal wakes up and hops in the shower. He speaks out loud for nearly 30 minutes in the tub -- as if there are other Bills fans in his vicinity -- lamenting, "What the hell was with Mario's bogus wrist injury? I mean, what a total BS excuse! Who does he think he's fooling? Not me, that's for sure!"

Later on his commute to work, coastal continues his rant unabated alone in his car. "And why the hell did we pay $100 million for a guy who only gets 13 sacks a year?" - his voice echoing within the lonely confines of his vehicle -- "There were so many guys available in free agency who could have gotten at least 15 sacks a year and for way cheaper! The options were ****ing limitless!"

Exiting his vehicle in a vacant parking lot -- literally hundreds of yards from the nearest human being -- coastal slowly walks to his office building muttering, "$100 million! ****! Why not just give money away!"

A few hours later, alone and pacing around the water cooler during a work break, coastal reboots his grievance, orating in a booming voice about Mario's lack of clutch play, gesturing emphatically as if he were having a face-to-face conversation with another human being. "His sacks came against scrubs and none of them were difference makers in a game!" he clarified to no one in particular -- defying the convention of normal conversation where a sender transmits information to a receiver.

A few hours later, coastal hits up a diner for lunch, continuing his uninterrupted monologue alone at a booth. "Mario's sacks all came in bunches, he's not consistent enough on a game-to-game basis! Fool's gold!" Disinterested waitresses keep their distance, clearly confused by his angry ramblings about this Mario guy they've never heard of.

Finally work is out and coastal makes his way to the beach for a long walk to cool his troubled thoughts under a calming sunset, yet his speech breaks down into odd fragments, "Mario Shmario! Are the Niners on tonight? My favorite percent is 43%! What's the hell is a bandsaw?" The closest living organisms to overhear his strange vocalizations are the scuttling sand fleas at his feet and they happily tunnel back into the wet sand to escape the banter.

Unable to lift his spirits, coastal makes his way home where he greets Blondie and says, "Hi honey, did you know that Mario Williams sucks?" She sighs and says she's going to bed despite the fact it's only 7:30pm. So coastal makes his way to the computer and says, "Hey! I know where I can go to unload on this loser, Mario Williams!"

He signs into billszone.

At last, a captive audience! he muses triumphantly.

2. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (08-22-2014),jimmifli (08-22-2014),Parzival (08-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,662 Times in 8,458 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That is amongst the best things I have ever seen written on an internet message board.

Had you thrown in a comment about him saying "You know, that Phaneuf guy sucks too." it would have been perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    "You know, that Phaneuf guy sucks too."

5. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (08-22-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    That is amongst the best things I have ever seen written on an internet message board.

Had you thrown in a comment about him saying "You know, that Phaneuf guy sucks too." it would have been perfect
    Internet message board utterances are likely the lowest of literary standards...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Internet message board utterances are likely the lowest of literary standards...
    Nonsense! JoeMama is a poet, Dr. Lecter a scholar!

8. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (08-22-2014)

Dumber than the average blonde :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,860 Times in 6,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lol .. that was pretty accurate there Joey!!

Only coastal is a home therapy PT ... SO he spends all day driving from one patient to another.

he has lots of time to stew in his car out in the heat about Mario!!!

Lol
    I was banned for calling Yardie a coward, by DB, in a tread about women’s issues happening right now in America. Nothing better than republican men silencing women’s voices, especially in the Buffalo Spin zone!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills stink

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Here's the thing about the schedule. At one point, we had to play the Patriots coming off their bye for something like 4 years in a row. At one point, we had the most games in the league against teams coming off a bye or extra rest time several years in a row. Now, creating the league schedule is immensely difficult and I have no idea how they even approach the task, but there is no way those things happened by random chance.
    No way? LOL...mkay. I refute that. categorically. There are only a finite number of permutations with a schedule.

Who cares how many times the Bills played the Pats coming off their bye? Do you think it helped them? Do you think it hurt us? Hell no. We have been so pathetic and they have been so dominant, we could have had a month off before playing them and they still would have whooped us 9 times out of 10 maybe instead of 10 out of 10. Big whoop.

Can you imagine the groans in Boston those years when they looked past their bye and saw once again it was going to be wasted on the hapless Bills? Don't you think they would have rather had more time to prepare for Indy or Baltimore?

If you think it wasn't random, what could possibly be the motivation to schedule the Bills after the Pats bye? Who benefits? No one.

When you only have 16 games a year, and only 7 of them or so that are after a bye week, funny things can happen. Things that seem unlikely will happen to every team.

But I do think the league has preferred outcomes. Bills fans always show up. Patriots and Dolphins fans only show up when the team wins.
    And you think manipulating the schedule leads to this? Get real. The Patriots don't need any help beating us.

Of course, I have no proof of this, but when we get schedules with difficulties that our opponents don't have year in and year out, it certainly lends credibility to the theory.
    What difficulties? The biggest contributor to schedule difficulty is strength of opponents. This is largely writ in stone based on the previous year's performance. Any wrinkles introduced by the timing of this game after that team's bye week or other nonsense isn't going to materially affect a team's position.
    Last edited by gebobs; 08-22-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    You say Tamato (Long Island accent) / I say Tamato (nj accent), either way it's a fruit (like 6 (half dozen) or 6).
    a tomato is not necessarily a fruit. To a botanist it's a fruit. To a nutritionist it's a vegetable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You fail to consider the Bills have placed constraints on the schedule makers. The people that make the schedule likely use an algorithm and then have to shuffle some things around to meet the Bills constraints. I would bet when those decisions are being made only the constraints themselves are under consideration not difficulties in the schedule resulting from shuffling around. Maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense but I bet you get what I'm talking about.

I also heard the other day, for the first time, the networks did not want to televise national prime time games from RWS because it's a nightmare to wire up....

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Here's the thing about the schedule. At one point, we had to play the Patriots coming off their bye for something like 4 years in a row. At one point, we had the most games in the league against teams coming off a bye or extra rest time several years in a row. Now, creating the league schedule is immensely difficult and I have no idea how they even approach the task, but there is no way those things happened by random chance.

I'm not paranoid and I don't have a persecution complex. I don't think the game is rigged because there is too much money at stake if they got caught (plus rigging games would need far too many people to stay quiet). I don't think the league is out to get Buffalo.

But I do think the league has preferred outcomes. Bills fans always show up. Patriots and Dolphins fans only show up when the team wins. A Pats vs Jets AFC Championship game is going to get much better ratings than a Bills vs Tenn or Jax AFC Championship game. Bills fans watch the team no matter what, and the team lacks the star power to draw viewers who aren't fans of the team. So, when the league has to make tough decisions- like who gets the short end of the stick on playing teams coming off byes or who gets screwed on a 50/50 call on the field- teams like the Pats, Redskins, Dolphins, Cowboys will always be favored over teams like the Bills.

Of course, I have no proof of this, but when we get schedules with difficulties that our opponents don't have year in and year out, it certainly lends credibility to the theory.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Gee, I didn't realize you were William ****ing Shakespeare.

Next time I get cute with it, I'll make sure to compose my post in iambic pentameter.

I'd hate to disappoint our resident literary snob.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think BillsZone needs an iambic pentameter forum.