Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Public Stadium Funding

Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom Homegrown's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Public Stadium Funding

$10 "head tax" on every Canuckian crossing the border on game day, eh?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 3,482 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Or it can lose the team and say goodbye to all future player income tax revenue.

But I guess NY state and Erie County are pretty used to that, right?

Good plan.
    This is so tiresome. So the bidders for the Bills are only in this under the assumption they get their money handed right back to them in the form of a new stadium? Please. The whole hostage taking nonsense billionaire's used to be able to get away with for corporate welfare in the form of gift stadiums is over. Most of the money for a new stadium is going to come out of the new owner's (probably Peg) billfold as it should.

3. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-23-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrown View Post
    $10 "head tax" on every Canuckian crossing the border on game day, eh?
    Make it $40.00.

Anything to piss us off up here so that we stop filling 1/5th of the Ralph.

Personally, I already see less interest in the Bills up here over the past 10 years and hopefully it continues so you unappreciative crap stains can be left to support the Bills alone.

I will hate the black outs, but I will figure out alternatives.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    This is so tiresome. So the bidders for the Bills are only in this under the assumption they get their money handed right back to them in the form of a new stadium? Please. The whole hostage taking nonsense billionaire's used to be able to get away with for corporate welfare in the form of gift stadiums is over. Most of the money for a new stadium is going to come out of the new owner's (probably Peg) billfold as it should.
    Ummm, no.

Do you think $400 MIL is going to build a new stadium?

What I'm saying is that a combination of public and private funding would not be a net loss for the State, as, unlike most public expenditures, there is a very reasonable expectation that a stadium would generate ROI.

$400 MIL from NY, plus a combination of funding from Delaware North, the NFL, Terry Pegula and other sources would make this very achievable.

Ralph Wilson Stadium/Rich Stadium paid fort itself many times over during the Bills tenure there, from lease payments to concession money for the County when they ran concessions.

Or we could just do what WNY has done since the 1970s--wave goodbye and watch entire industries move away.

BTW, the bidders for the team are all but guaranteed their money back from a combination of TV revenue and escalating franchise values. And Terry Pegula is the only thing standing between Buffalo keeping this team or losing it. He will have done more than his part at the end of this.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Make it $40.00.

Anything to piss us off up here so that we stop filling 1/5th of the Ralph.

Personally, I already see less interest in the Bills up here over the past 10 years and hopefully it continues so you unappreciative crap stains can be left to support the Bills alone.

I will hate the black outs, but I will figure out alternatives.
    OTOH, we could apply the same rules about employment. Canadians cross daily and earn a living in WNY, yet if you are an American citizen, you can only get employment in Canada if - after a lengthy study - the Canadian government determines that you have a skill no Canadian has.

Or the US might demand that Canadian truckers adhere to US law and keep the same log book, and not be able to drive hours on end.

The US might demand that like Canada does, hazardous shipments must be cleared first, and limited to only a few ports on entry.

Or the US might stop Canadians who pour over the bridges to see if they are importing goods into Canada without proof of notifying the Canadian authorities of their intent when they return, and are paying legal Canadian import duties, so that your border guards don't wink at violation of Canadian laws.

Forcing US pharmaceutical companies to give your health junta drugs that Americans have to pay 100X or more, saying if you don't, you can't sell toothpaste here. All the time not carring about a healthy cottage industry that re-imports to the States at incredible profit.

Or we might take action about how Ontario reduced their drinking age to 18 after chiding us when theirs was 21, a ploy to induce US drinkers to head North. Canada..it's all about the Loonies, isn't it?

Canadians are SO selfish...
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-22-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    With Canada, it's all about the Loonies.
    Truer words...

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Truer words...
    I recall when I was a lad...more than a half a century ago...being turned back from crossing because I couldn't produce a five dollar bill from my wallet. Told that I might be a vagrant. Ya right - not enough $ to spend in Canada. The entry fee escalated to a twenty as the years wore on.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,139 Times in 5,884 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So the state. which is the residents , should fork over hundres of millions to preserve the jobs of millionaires so that they can be taxed in the future? And we can drink?

10. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-23-2014),swiper (08-23-2014)

SpikedLemonade

OTOH, we could apply the same rules about employment. Canadians cross daily and earn a living in WNY, yet if you are an American citizen, you can only get employment in Canada if - after a lengthy study - the Canadian government determines that you have a skill no Canadian has.

Or the US might demand that Canadian truckers adhere to US law and keep the same log book, and not be able to drive hours on end.

The US might demand that like Canada does, hazardous shipments must be cleared first, and limited to only a few ports on entry.

Or the US might stop Canadians who pour over the bridges to see if they are importing goods into Canada without proof of notifying the Canadian authorities of their intent when they return, and are paying legal Canadian import duties, so that your border guards don't wink at violation of Canadian laws.

Forcing US pharmaceutical companies to give your health junta drugs that Americans have to pay 100X or more, saying if you don't, you can't sell toothpaste here. All the time not carring about a healthy cottage industry that re-imports to the States at incredible profit.

Or we might take action about how Ontario reduced their drinking age to 18 after chiding us when theirs was 21, a ploy to induce US drinkers to head North. Canada..it's all about the Loonies, isn't it?

There was a time when the above meant something.

Threats from a dying economic power just don't carry much fear these days.

We like the Chinese.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,286 Times in 13,719 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ummm, no.

Do you think $400 MIL is going to build a new stadium?

What I'm saying is that a combination of public and private funding would not be a net loss for the State, as, unlike most public expenditures, there is a very reasonable expectation that a stadium would generate ROI.
    Except that what you are saying is not supported by the facts you are presenting. You provided one source of revenue- income tax from the players. You provided one expenditure for the state: it's share of construction costs.

The reality is that the issue is much more complex. There are both ongoing expenditures and additional revenue streams that you are neglecting.

In fact, many communities that used taxpayer money for stadiums have found that the stadiums led to a much lower ROI than they anticipated going in. Some have even resulted in a net financial loss for the city/state.

You are oversimplifiying the issue to make the outcome you want seem more likely.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 08-22-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Except that what you are saying is not supported by the facts you are presenting. You provided one source of revenue- income tax from the players. You provided one expenditure for the state: it's share of construction costs.

The reality is that the issue is much more complex. There are both ongoing expenditures and additional revenue streams that you are neglecting.

In fact, many communities that used taxpayer money for stadiums have found that the stadiums led to a much lower ROI than they anticipated going in. Some have even resulted in a net financial loss for the city/state.

You are oversimplifiying the issue to make the outcome you want seem more likely.
    Investigate the B'gals stadium debacle...

14. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (08-22-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    There was a time when the above meant something.

Threats from a dying economic power just don't carry much fear these days.

We like the Chinese.
    The true feelings of Spiked Lemonade is displayed.

16. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (08-22-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE C̶H̶I̶L̶D̶R̶E̶N̶ CORPORATIONS!

18. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-23-2014),Dr. Lecter (08-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My whole point from the OP is fairly simple, and if you accept the premise (upon which my statement is based) then it's not too complicated.

It's fairly clear that the team will not be able to stay here (see Goodell's comments) without a new stadium.

The state of New York has established a stadium feasibility group with very powerful members.

It's pretty obvious that at some point the 40+ year old stadium the Bills are playing in will be replaced.

My $400 Mil figure was simply an example. Easy math. Could be adjusted up or down.

The main point is, whatever funding the state provides is not without return, even if you just count income tax from player salaries. If you don't believe the $20 MIL per year figure collected by the state is accurate, take it up with John Wawrow and piss off.

Whatever point you're trying to make about ROI in other cities is irrelevant, because that's based on event and operations revenue.

My entire statement is based on Wawrow's comments being accepted as a given. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

My whole point from the OP is fairly simple, and if you accept the premise (upon which my statement is based) then it's not too complicated.

It's fairly clear that the team will not be able to stay here (see Goodell's comments) without a new stadium.

The state of New York has established a stadium feasibility group with very powerful members.

It's pretty obvious that at some point the 40+ year old stadium the Bills are playing in will be replaced.

My $400 Mil figure was simply an example. Easy math. Could be adjusted up or down.

The main point is, whatever funding the state provides is not without return, even if you just count income tax from player salaries. If you don't believe the $20 MIL per year figure collected by the state is accurate, take it up with John Wawrow and piss off.

Whatever point you're trying to make about ROI in other cities is irrelevant, because that's based on event and operations revenue.

My entire statement is based on Wawrow's comments being accepted as a given. If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.
    Ok you clearly do not understand. First, like I already said, your figures do not account for all the revenue or expenditures.

Second, even if the $20 million and $400 million figures you used are correct, it would take twenty years for the state to recoup their money and you are assuming:
    1. The player income will stay the same or increase over the next 20 years
    2. Income tax rates will stay the same or increase over the next 20 years
    3. The team will still be in Buffalo for the next 20 years
    4. The state will not have to outlay any other capital expenditure relating to the stadium over the next 20 years.

I'll give you 1 and 2. Those are safe assumptions.

3 and 4 are not. Pegula could die, sell the team, go broke, get arrested (I don't think he's a criminal but I do worry about the environmental impact of how he makes his money) etc. The stadium and surrounding roads, parking lots, street lights, etc will undoubtably need work and require additional money, at which point we have a battle over who pays.

You are oversimplifiying the issue. I didn't take issue with the $20 million number because I don't know or care if it's right. The problem is that, contrary to what you claim, even if it is right, it does not guarantee a good ROI for the state. You clearly do not understand how these things work.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 08-22-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok you clearly do not understand. First, like I already said, your figures do not account for all the revenue or expenditures.

Second, even if the $20 million and $400 million figures you used are correct, it would take twenty years for the state to recoup their money and you are assuming:
    3. The team will still be in Buffalo for the next 20 years
    4. The state will not have to outlay any other capital expenditure relating to the stadium over the next 20 years.

I'll give you 1 and 2. Those are safe assumptions.

3 and 4 are not. Pegula could die, sell the team, go broke, get arrested (I don't think he's a criminal but I do worry about the environmental impact of how he makes his money) etc. The stadium and surrounding roads, parking lots, street lights, etc will undoubtably need work and require additional money, at which point we have a battle over who pays.

You are oversimplifiying the issue. I didn't take issue with the $20 million number because I don't know or care if it's right. The problem is that, contrary to what you claim, even if it is right, it does not guarantee a good ROI for the state. You clearly do not understand how these things work.
    Jesus Christ. It's a F U Cking message board. Pretty simple post. If the state contributes to new stadium construction and the team stays, it's not like dumping $400 MIL into the Niagara River. There's something in it for them, and for the taxpayers.

Her's how simple it is: If the team goes away, so does $20 MIL per year in income tax revenues.

Just like the millions and millions of tax dollars that have moved to North Carolina and Florida and Arizona with people who have fled the state looking for real jobs.

For once, maybe the state can do something to stop it.

Are you seriously posting, with a straight face, that you think player salaries will decrease?

3. The team will still be in Buffalo for the next 20 years.
    You REALLY think they build a Billion dollar stadium without a 30 year lease? You're really not very bright, huh?

4. The state will not have to outlay any other capital expenditure relating to the stadium over the next 20 years..
    You don't think they will have to outlay capital on the current 40+ year old stadium? Good God.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 08-22-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus Christ. It's a F U Cking message board. Pretty simple post. If the state contributes to new stadium construction and the team stays, it's not like dumping $400 MIL into the Niagara River. There's something in it for them, and for the taxpayers.

Her's how simple it is: If the team goes away, so does $20 MIL per year in income tax revenues.

"Simple" is not the correct word. "Stupid" is the correct word. I don't know what part of this you are not getting: you are not considering all the expenditures and all the revenue. I don't care if it's a message board or not- you are still grossly oversimplifying a very complex issue. $20 million goes away if the team goes away, but so does a **** ton of expenditures. And I don't know what part of this you aren't getting: $20 MILLION IS 0.00002 PERCENT OF THE STATE'S OPERATING BUDGET. It is NOT enough money to affect their decision one way or the other.

Are you seriously posting, with a straight face, that you think player salaries will decrease?
    Did you even read my post? I told you they were safe assumptions. If you know anything about analysis and project management, you list ALL the assumptions whether they are safe or not.

You REALLY think they build a Billion dollar stadium without a 30 year lease? You're really not very bright, huh?
    You really think a team can't find a way out of a lease?

You don't think they will have to outlay capital on the current 40+ year old stadium? Good God.
    They won't have capital outlay at all if the team moves. And you're talking about laying down $400 million and then paying capital expenditures on that. Somehow you magically forgot about your $400 million in up front costs with this comment.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 08-23-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    I can't stand the idea that my taxes are going to pay for an NFL stadium. drives me crazy. can't believe anyone would be ok with it, knowing that every single franchise can afford a new stadium

So the state puts in $500 million. Where does that money go? Pags pocket? Nope. Construction workers, businesses that sell the building material, etc...

No different than than anything the state spends its money on...

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"