Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did The Light Go On For EJ Manuel In The 3rd Quarter Against The Bucs?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Did The Light Go On For EJ Manuel In The 3rd Quarter Against The Bucs?

Interestingly, Kelly seems to agree with the authors of the piece from which the above quotes that I cited comes from.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...s-quarterbacks

"To be honest, I'm not happy with any of them. I would love to see EJ come on," Kelly said. "He's a great guy. He's a great leader. I've heard him to speak to the team; I've heard him speak to the receivers before they take the field. His leadership is there. Everything is there.

EJ Manuel and the rest of the Bills' quarterbacks have not yet impressed Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

"But I have not yet seen what we all want to see. And I'm sure he feels the same way. It just hasn't happened, and hopefully that's just because of the preseason."
    Kelly said the Bills' success this season will hinge on Manuel's performance.
    "I'm pulling for him, and I'll continue to pull for him," Kelly said.
    He's basically saying the same thing, that EJ's a physically gifted bright guy and good leader, but that it simply isn't coming together.

Like the authors, he's pulling for him. Unfortunately that doesn't buy us much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Holcomb in 2005: 10 games/10 starts. 1,509 yards, 67.4% compl. 10 TDs, 8 INTs, 6.6 YPA, 85.6 Rating, 17 sacks

Manuel in 2013: 10 games/10 starts. 1,972 yards, 58.8% compl. 11 TDs, 9 INTs, 6.4 YPA, 77.7 Rating, 28 sacks
    Seeing that we're going there...
    Brees in 2003 (3rd season BTW): 11 games/11 starts. 2,108 yards, 57.6% compl. 11 TDs, 15 INTs, 5.9 YPA, 67.5 Rating, 21 sacks

Boy does he suck.

1 cherry pick is worth another I always say... Ignore those facts!

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He was what they thought he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    It is basic stuff. But allow me to quote from an article about EJ from two FSU fans that watched him avidly in every game that he played and who also were involved in documenting the team during that time. These guys broke down film regularly and had access to the coaching staff.
    That was from one of them. Here's from the other:

Now remember, those were fans of his hoping to see him succeed in the NFL, not Miami fans that had a reason to want to see him fail in the NFL.

This is exactly what we're seeing here, exactly.

It also explains fully why he's taken so many sacks, 28 in 10 games, which are Bledsoe-like sack numbers. Why, for a QB that's supposed to be so mobile. Fitzpatrick in his worst 16-game season had only 30 sacks, only two more in 6 more games.

In addressing the coaching concerns, it's pretty laughable that Jimbo Fisher's staff couldn't do much with Manuel but that Marrone and Hackett would be able to do something with him. Seriously, it's laughable.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not sure if the light came on for EJ or if the bucs just played prevent.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    Maybe it had something to do with better play calling, the line giving protection and receivers getting open. John Murphy said that Mark Kelso told him that after watching tape that the receivers were not getting open earlier in the game. But none of that could be true, because it makes more sense that EJ, "who can't hit the broad side of a barn", all of a sudden is able to connect on 10 of 10 because there's different players in the game.
    You can't have it both ways: saing EJ is good and the WR are good but somehow the two can't connect.

Problem is that an open WR vs 1st stringers in NFL looks a lot different than an open WR vs 2nd stringers. EJ has to learn to 'throw his WR open' and give them opportunities to make plays by trusting them.

Problem us that this requires pin-point accuracy which EJ lacks- and when he does try it, athletic defenders cut the routs & intercept his passes.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When the Bills get killed by Trestman's squad we'll see who's still on the EJ train.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You can't have it both ways: saing EJ is good and the WR are good but somehow the two can't connect.

Problem is that an open WR vs 1st stringers in NFL looks a lot different than an open WR vs 2nd stringers. EJ has to learn to 'throw his WR open' and give them opportunities to make plays by trusting them.

Problem us that this requires pin-point accuracy which EJ lacks- and when he does try it, athletic defenders cut the routs & intercept his passes.
    I have said the exact same thing, he had a problem last season of not delivering the ball until the receiver came open. People mistake my defending him as me saying I think he's going to be great. All I know for sure is that he's had less than 10 games under his belt and that's not a lot of time.
    The kind of things that I do dispute are things like where you say that "athletic defenders cut the route& intercept his passes", Is this really true ? Without going back and trying to find his picks from last season, I would guess that may have been the case in 2-3 of his ints last season. I do know in his worst performance against Tampa, it was the case on 1 of the 4 int's, 2 others went off receivers hands and 1 was an overthrow (which happened to be trapped). In fact before the Tampa game he had 9 TD's to 4 ints.

He'll never be a Manning or Brady, but how many QB's are, he's a young kid with talent that is learning. Coming out he was labeled a project, not a superstar ready to take over the league, I'm willing to give it more than 9 1/2 regular season and a few preseason games.

8. Post thanked by:

Yasgur's Farm (08-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have said the exact same thing, he had a problem last season of not delivering the ball until the receiver came open. People mistake my defending him as me saying I think he's going to be great. All I know for sure is that he's had less than 10 games under his belt and that's not a lot of time.
    The kind of things that I do dispute are things like where you say that "athletic defenders cut the route& intercept his passes", Is this really true ? Without going back and trying to find his picks from last season, I would guess that may have been the case in 2-3 of his ints last season. I do know in his worst performance against Tampa, it was the case on 1 of the 4 int's, 2 others went off receivers hands and 1 was an overthrow (which happened to be trapped). In fact before the Tampa game he had 9 TD's to 4 ints.

He'll never be a Manning or Brady, but how many QB's are, he's a young kid with talent that is learning. Coming out he was labeled a project, not a superstar ready to take over the league, I'm willing to give it more than 9 1/2 regular season and a few preseason games.
    Very well communicate post... Thanks.

10. Post thanked by:

kishoph (08-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    When the Bills get killed by Trestman's squad we'll see who's still on the EJ train.
    The Detroit Lions beat the Bears last year, twice.

Check your Schwartz, Swiper.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Some of us call it the Bills train, but whatever makes you happy (like the Bills losing).

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Nobody's talking about this...but I saw a spark in EJ Manuel at the start of the second half.

He was on fire, hitting all of his passes but by that time most of us were at least half in the bag.

Everyone is so focused on the first half as if the second half didn't count because, "they were playing against backups."

Many 2nd stringers become starters over the course of a season.

Hypothetical scenario:

EJ Manuel and the starting offense come out on their first 2 drives of the game and score 2 TD's after Hackett opens up the playbook and shows exactly how they're going to beat Chicago on tape.

After thunderous screams and cheering at halftime, EJ Manuel and the starting offense come out in the third quarter and totally suck.

Flip flop the 1st and 2nd halves.

Which would you rather have?

A great start and a crappy finish, or a crappy start and a great finish?

Wax on, wax off.

"Patience, Daniel son!"
    I saw Tampa Players that will be filing for UI in a week or so.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    The Detroit Lions beat the Bears last year, twice.

Check your Schwartz, Swiper.
    Ummm. We have Megatron?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Some of us call it the Bills train, but whatever makes you happy (like the Bills losing).
    Another of the idiot posters putting words into people's mouths that aren't there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Another of the idiot posters putting words into people's mouths that aren't there.
    Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words and your avatar shows exactly what kind of Bills fan you are.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

it's all on Nathaniel Hackett. fire that son of a ***** now!!!
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I love how people come out and attack others for not being a fan if they think the Bears will beat the Bills next weekend.

The Bills are gonna get smacked in Soldier Field.

The only way they have a chance to win is if they play ground and pound and hold the ball for >40 minutes and we all know that ain't gonna happen.