Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Marrone and Whaley arguing at Practice Today

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,455 Times in 9,166 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Marrone and Whaley arguing at Practice Today

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post

Wasn't Marrone just telling everyone that fighting has no place in football...?

That being said, currently, the only hope I have is that the new owner doesn't put up with the bull**** that went on during the previous owner's tenure... The Brandons, Overdorfs and Littmans need to be removed from this organization on day damn one of the new owner's tenure. At this point, I don't care if that's even mid-season. Get rid of these clowns.

Whaley and Marrone, I'm willing to give the rest of the season and possibly next season, depending on how the team finishes. But, everyone above the GM needs to be gone yesterday.

-Bill
    Well, thing is B, Overdorf reports to Whaley (is under him) and Littman is the accountant and a trustee for the last organizational business that owned it so he'll be excluded on sale presuming the next owner has an accountant. Brandon was a part of the previous business structure too, next owner likely has a business person in his corp meaning to do it.

That mostly leaves replacing Marrone and Whaley and everything in between which includes Overdorf.
    Last edited by Mace; 08-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Well, thing is B, Overdorf reports to Whaley (is under him)
    Gonna stop you right here, because it's not true. Remember this from February? http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...whaley-marrone

But team sources tell me executives such as Littmann, Overdorf and Berchtold still hold too much sway and haven't afforded Whaley or Marrone as much control as either feels he needs to correct a losing culture.

These sources tell me Marrone and Whaley would like more control over personnel decisions, especially free agents.

The sources say Marrone and Whaley feel they've been hung out to dry in certain media situations that made them and the team look bad.
    If "Overdorf reports to Whaley," as you claim, certainly Overdorf would not be in a position where he holds "too much sway and haven't afforded Whaley or Marrone as much control as either feels he needs."

-Bill

3. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Gonna stop you right here, because it's not true. Remember this from February? http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...whaley-marrone

If "Overdorf reports to Whaley," as you claim, certainly Overdorf would not be in a position where he holds "too much sway and haven't afforded Whaley or Marrone as much control as either feels he needs."

-Bill
    Well, as I claim....you might want to look at the dates, B. Unfortunately you are misinformed. Link is from March.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/jim-overdorf/
    Last edited by Mace; 08-26-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, as I claim....you might want to look at the dates, B. Unfortunately you are misinformed. Link is from March.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/tag/jim-overdorf/
    A: As stated before, if Overdorf reported to Whaley, he'd be in zero position to hold any sway over Whaley or Marrone, let alone "too much sway."

B: Your link says "Jim Overdorf is our lead negotiator on each contract. He takes his direction from the GM chair." So, while he might take direction from Whaley on how much to offer a player, he certainly does not work for Whaley. Otherwise, if there were a question of Overdorf holding too much sway over Whaley and/or Marrone, Whaley would have simply fired Overdorf and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Quite simply, Whaley doesn't have the power to fire Overdorf, which is what I view as someone being "under" another.

Overdorf is "under" Brandon, as far as people being able to fire him is concerned, not Whaley.

C: Your link is also a quote from Russ Brandon. Quite frankly, I don't believe a word Brandon says, because I believe he's a part of the problem. Back to my link:

Brandon has a situation to defuse here. Fans are less (read: not) concerned about the political workings of the front office, focusing instead on the on-field product. That's the area of the team that should be under the sole jurisdiction of Whaley and Marrone. If these reports hold truth, and those two men don't have complete authority over how their team is built, then the solution for Brandon is clear: make damn sure that they have that authority. Investigate the rest, but be absolutely certain of that. Let your football men succeed or fail on their own intuition and decisions, and not those colored by less important figures in the stagnant portions of the front office.
    Fast forward to today... What was done? Zero. Zilch. Nada. Which just proves to me that it's still status quo in the Buffalo Bills front office... For now, anyway.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 08-26-2014 at 08:28 PM.

6. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-27-2014),jimmifli (08-26-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A: As stated before, if Overdorf reported to Whaley, he'd be in zero position to hold any sway over Whaley or Marrone, let alone "too much sway."

B: Your link says "Jim Overdorf is our lead negotiator on each contract. He takes his direction from the GM chair." So, while he might take direction from Whaley on how much to offer a player, he certainly does not work for Whaley. Otherwise, if there were a question of Overdorf holding too much sway over Whaley and/or Marrone, Whaley would have simply fired Overdorf and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Quite simply, Whaley doesn't have the power to fire Overdorf, which is what I view as someone being "under" another.

Overdorf is "under" Brandon, as far as people being able to fire him is concerned, not Whaley.

C: Your link is also a quote from Russ Brandon. Quite frankly, I don't believe a word Brandon says, because I believe he's a part of the problem. Back to my link:

Fast forward to today... What was done? Zero. Zilch. Nada. Which just proves to me that it's still status quo in the Buffalo Bills front office... For now, anyway.

-Bill
    Ok B, you don't want to believe facts or later links that prove you incorrect. I'm sorry about that, you were still wrong, sorry about that too but it is what it is.

Fast forward to today, you embrace outdated information and can't adapt to changes that might influence your incorrect opinion. Sorry about that too, but hey, you're entitled to live in whatever world you like best and believe whatever you want no matter what silly things like facts say.

3220395.jpg

Or not.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok B, you don't want to believe facts or later links that prove you incorrect. I'm sorry about that, you were still wrong, sorry about that too but it is what it is.

Fast forward to today, you embrace outdated information and can't adapt to changes that might influence your incorrect opinion. Sorry about that too, but hey, you're entitled to live in whatever world you like best and believe whatever you want no matter what silly things like facts say.

3220395.jpg

Or not.

I'm gonna make this real simple: Doug Whaley does not have the power to fire Jim Overdorf. Because, if he did, my guess is, it would have been done... Especially if Overdorf had been blocking a move that Whaley and/or Marrone wanted to make.

I've also told you that I don't believe a word that comes out of Russ Brandon's mouth, as I believe he is a part of the problem. Just because he says something doesn't make it "fact." To me, Brandon is nothing more than a salesman, trying to sell to the fans what he thinks they want to hear, similar to a politician. I'd be willing to bet that many posters on this board and many Bills fans across the country and globe agree with my feelings on Brandon, which means they likely don't believe him or much of anything that he says, either.

You insisting that "Overdorf reports to Whaley," after I clarify my position by saying Whaley does not have the power to fire Overdorf, leads me to believe that you are under the impression that Whaley DOES have the power to fire Overdorf, which is 100% without a doubt incorrect.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 08-26-2014 at 09:24 PM.

9. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-27-2014),GreedoII (08-27-2014),jimmifli (08-26-2014),SeatownBillsFan21 (08-27-2014),WagonCircler (08-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrown View Post
    yeah...he learned without a QB, he ain't much of a coach
    You're the one who said he was hamstrung by monetary measures on his OC.

He's still sticking with Hackett when there are alternatives, including just naming himself OC.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

to the surprise of no one its reported marrone brought a switchblade to the fight while whaley of course had a burner
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom Homegrown's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    You're the one who said he was hamstrung by monetary measures on his OC.
    Nope, that was not me ...see below

Quote Originally Posted by Downinfloflo View Post
    With the budget he was given to work with, He could only afford a Hackett type talent.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Ok you guys are making assumptions and we all know what assuming does.

Whaley and him might not have been arguing at all heck maybe they agree with each other.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,449 Times in 17,361 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"GAWDDAMMIT I TOLD YOU WE WERE CUTTING 'TUEL', NOT 'THE TOOL'!!! HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES WHEN YOU TWO KEEP ****ING UP MY ROSTER!?!?! HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK WE'RE GOING TO HEAR 'PALMER TO WATKINS, FOR A TD' THIS SEASON?!? I'LL TELL YOU...A BIG, FAT ****ING ZERO, THAT'S HOW MANY!!!"
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Brandon/Overdorf/Littman are the problem as always.....Sick of these turds...

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,970 Times in 15,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's an emotional game, but seeing your HC and GM not on the same page two weeks before the season starts, does not bode well for this year.

Reminds me of when they fired OC Alex Van Pelt three days before the opener a few years back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    It's an emotional game, but seeing your HC and GM not on the same page two weeks before the season starts, does not bode well for this year.
    These guys are both in over their heads and have been since day one.

Marrone coached a second tier team in the NCAAs to little more than winning against teams worse than his was and only making a bowl game that began with his tenure, a very insignificant bowl game. What anyone said about that move is irrelevant. Bringing Hackett here was likely more just a matter of him bringing his security blanket along with him to sink or swim together.

Whaley, I've never understood what the infatuation with this guy was. So what, he was part of the personnel team that made Pittsburgh as good as they are. How many personnel guys do they have over there, 20, 30 annually? All that could ever have been said was that his contributions are largely unknown and to have given him credit for all of their good moves during that time is absurd. Nevertheless, many here did just that.

They said the same things about Donahoe who had an even more prominent role in Pittsburgh. Whaley is at least partially from the Donahoe tree of personnel guys.

He's been the head personnel guy here since 2010, not 2013. This team has not propelled itself forward during that time. It can be argued that it has regressed.

His qualifications for being GM were light.

I can't imagine either surviving new ownership and I can't imagine either ever holding the same positions in the NFL again. Who would hire them in their current roles.

I see Marrone going back to college where he belongs, and Whaley ending up on someone else's personnel team in a lesser role.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GreedoII View Post
    Brandon/Overdorf/Littman are the problem as always.....Sick of these turds...
    I don't know so I'm asking, but did you take this stance when they promoted Whaley to GM who then in turn hired Marrone?

Or did you say that "we need to wait and see" and trust those moves? Most here were touting Whaley highly. Why is beyond me, but they were.

The sentiment on Marrone seemed more mixed, but still, with plenty of people supporting the hire.

The point is that if you think that they're the problem, then openly complain about their idiotic decisions at the time that they make them. That's how you express your dissatisfaction, not by giving them another 3 seasons of a pass with a "let's wait and see" attitude.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Reminds me of when they fired OC Alex Van Pelt three days before the opener a few years back.
    I think Van Pelt was promoted, Turk Schonert was fired.

20. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (08-27-2014),Historian (08-27-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

How many personnel guys do they have over there, 20, 30 annually?

No not even close

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    I think Van Pelt was promoted, Turk Schonert was fired.
    Ah yes, our good ole past. Schonert, Van Pelt, Curtis Modkins, Tom Clements, Steve Fairchild, George Edwards.

What a cast of coordinators. Soon Hackett will be joining the ranks of the rank.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    No not even close
    Really, how many then Einstein?

We have 22 listed on TOS including Whaley.

I see 18 listed on the Steelers' OS today.

Seems like in your haste to disagree with me you once again prove your grand ignorance.

18 seems pretty close to 20 to me. I guess to you it's way off. Makes sense given the vast majority of your posts.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    No not even close
    Ever thought of changing your moniker to Yeast Infection.

Might match your posts quite a bit better. Gastrointestinal Turmoil is another consideration for you.