Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The realist point of view.........Bills really could be Good or Bad this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The realist point of view.........Bills really could be Good or Bad this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    No one cares what you think.
    That's so sweet... I love you too Man!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The realist point of view.........Bills really could be Good or Bad this year.

I nominate this thread for most ******ed thread of the year.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I think you're stretching things quite a bit about the WRs.
    I said "just above average". You said C+. I think we're in agreement. I said "maybe top 10 if you're a homer". I am not a homer.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    I said "just above average". You said C+. I think we're in agreement. I said "maybe top 10 if you're a homer". I am not a homer.
    This isn't class.

C+ is hardly average for a set of WRs in the NFL. I'd say that B is more average in that context. I realize that depends upon how one measures "average."

If you want to know where I think our WRs stack up against the other 31 teams, I'd say easily among the bottom 25% of the league.

I wouldn't rank any set of WRs as F or worse than D+ right now. C+ to me is inadequate. Again, pending how Williams and Woods play and pending Watkins' early development.

Far too many people are expecting way too much from Watkins, who should shine regardless of Manuel since everyone expects him to take a simple 2-yard dropoff and turn it into 10-15 yards on a regular basis. Ain't happenin' in the NFL if you ask me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

By the way, you said grade them in the top-10 if you're a homer. I see absolutely no scenario where we have even a top-15 set of WRs. They're all too young and far too inexperienced to rank that high apart from Williams, again, his performance pending.

Even if Manuel unexpectedly were to improve significantly, I still don't see any of our WRs eclipsing the 1,000 yard mark by much if at all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This isn't class.

C+ is hardly average for a set of WRs in the NFL. I'd say that B is more average in that context. I realize that depends upon how one measures "average."
    I was not aware that grading changed for wide receivers as compared to everything else in the world where C is average and C+ is just above average. Thanks for splitting that non-existent hair.

If you want to know where I think our WRs stack up against the other 31 teams, I'd say easily among the bottom 25% of the league.
    So we don't quite agree on that, but at least we agree that they, and the Bills overall, are "have significant talent" anywhere but the DL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

By the way, you said grade them in the top-10 if you're a homer. I see absolutely no scenario where we have even a top-15 set of WRs. They're all too young and far too inexperienced to rank that high apart from Williams, again, his performance pending.

Even if Manuel unexpectedly were to improve significantly, I still don't see any of our WRs eclipsing the 1,000 yard mark by much if at all.
    Are you unfamiliar with the homer mindset? Homers thought Trent Edwards (even pre-concussed) was going to live up to Bill Walsh's expectations and be the next Joe Montana. Homers thought Ryan Fitzpatrick's wonderlic was going to carry us to the playoffs. Homers thought Brad Smith was a steal. Homers cheered Gailey/Jauron/Mularkey/Williams hirings.

I guarantee you that there are people here that are enamored so with the WR corps to call them top 10. They did last year too.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So we don't quite agree on that, but at least we agree that they, and the Bills overall, are "have significant talent" anywhere but the DL.
    Actually, quite the opposite. If you ask me, the single best unit is the DL. Mario's still not delivering to his contract, but Kyle's a beast, Dareus at least has his days even if they're separated by a couple of games, and Hughes, at least in the role that they had for him last year played his role well enough.

Are you unfamiliar with the homer mindset? Homers thought Trent Edwards (even pre-concussed) was going to live up to Bill Walsh's expectations and be the next Joe Montana. Homers thought Ryan Fitzpatrick's wonderlic was going to carry us to the playoffs. Homers thought Brad Smith was a steal. Homers cheered Gailey/Jauron/Mularkey/Williams hirings.

I guarantee you that there are people here that are enamored so with the WR corps to call them top 10. They did last year too.
    I'm very familiar with the homer mindset. It plays out every season as everyone bites on every word that the team says. Even this year, just a month or two ago, we were going to the playoffs according to a lot more people than are now claiming the same. Usually it takes a good cold slap of reality of being 3-5 or 2-6 before that sets in. It came early this season.

I see what you're saying though, I thought that you meant that such a position on the WRs wasn't far from reality.

I'll put my position another way since obviously we have two different grading systems. I'd say that our WR corps ranks approximately in the 23rd/24th range if Watkins does anything even remotely close to what is expected of him and if Woods develops at least somewhat.

Registered User Bellowing4DaBills's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bah! Don't think a realist and a fan as in fanatic can co-exist in me.

Go Bills! 16-0.

Check that. EJ does blow. 15-1.
    The Bills Make Me Wanna Below

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

God, these threads are just falling off the cliff lately...

Thanks
    Thanked 18,368 Times in 8,981 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If we're talking about being "realistic" in the present tense, the only body of evidence we have to work with is how bad the offense has looked so far. Saying that we could be good or could be bad isn't really a statement. It's more like a pointless reaffirmation of something we already know: that the future is unknown. Which is why even the most pessimistic among us are glued to the TV or in the sitting in the stands every Sunday.

BTW, I think it may actually benefit our starters to roll it up against Detroit's scrubs for a quarter or two and build some confidence heading into Week 1.

I'm normally in favor of resting everybody in the final preseason game. But not this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There's nothing realistic about thinking this team is going to be good.

13. Post thanked by:

Fletch (08-28-2014),gebobs (08-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Actually, quite the opposite. If you ask me, the single best unit is the DL. Mario's still not delivering to his contract, but Kyle's a beast, Dareus at least has his days even if they're separated by a couple of games, and Hughes, at least in the role that they had for him last year played his role well enough.
    Mangled delivery on my part. Should have been something like "the Bills don't "have significant talent" anywhere but the DL" i.e. the DL is A the rest of the team not so much.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Mangled delivery on my part. Should have been something like "the Bills don't "have significant talent" anywhere but the DL" i.e. the DL is A the rest of the team not so much.
    I'm not so sure I'd even give it an A, Dareus is a weak link, and Hughe's thrived in last season's system. I'm not sold on him yet either. Mario's solid but has some issues against the run. Kyle's the only flawless DL defender. Having said that it is the strength of the D.

I think that the OL is about the same however. Manuel makes it look worse like he did at FSU.