Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Like The Tone Doug Marrone Is Setting

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: I Like The Tone Doug Marrone Is Setting

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Yet that POS found a way to win 7 games per season.
    That was Jauron (7,7,7,[5]). Gailey's win totals were 4,6,6.

I agree he was not good enough but what we got now can't approach his understanding of football.
    LOL...Gailey was no football genius. He struggled at Ga Tech. I heard the collective cheer from campus when he got sacked all the way out in Cobb.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,871 Times in 3,449 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    That was Jauron (7,7,7,[5]). Gailey's win totals were 4,6,6.

LOL...Gailey was no football genius. He struggled at Ga Tech. I heard the collective cheer from campus when he got sacked all the way out in Cobb.
    He's one of those nice guys that may not finish last but never finishes first either. I like Chan but he just can't inspire anyone. At GTECH that meant he couldn't/didn't recruit. But I'll be honest, I'd take him back in a heart beat right now as OC. That pick of Hackett may be Marrone's undoing. I actually like Marrone. But he could have used a gray beard as OC, reduce the pressure on him a bit.

3. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (08-28-2014),gebobs (08-28-2014),ublinkwescore (08-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    It's not desperate, it's an urgent sense of reality and Marrone is wearing the tone on his sleeve.

He's acting like a coach that knows this franchise hasn't been to the playoffs in 14 years. I like that.

Doug Marrone has a very convincing sense of urgency, and he's acting like this season is do or die time. Good.

I don't think that sense of urgency comes from his own vulnerability, it is genuine because he really cares about winning and being great.

Doug Marrone wants to win, and he's acting like a ***** which is what good coaches do.

No more pampers like Dick Jauron and Chan Gailey put on the Bills.

Thank God! When's the last time this team had a head coach that was an assertive *****?

Belichick is a *****. Bill Parcells is a *****. Tom Coughlin is a *****. Jon Gruden is a *****. Jimmy Johnson is a *****. Harbaugh is a *****.

Count the rings.

There's a difference between being a ***** like those above, and being a dick like Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey.

The Buffalo Bills need a ***** of a coach to pop the 14 year playoff drought bubble.

Doug Marrone has done everything he can possibly do to have his team ready to go against the Bears.

I like his leadership, and I like how he's taking a stand. He's the most vocal, articulate, outspoken, assertive ***** of a coach this team has had since Marv Levy dropped F bombs on the sidelines of RWS.
    How dare you try to make a clear rationale statement on here.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    Chan was a loser.
    I'd love to have that loser as our OC right now...
    "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

Thanks
    Thanked 26,168 Times in 13,657 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    How dare you try to make a clear rationale statement on here.
    There's nothing rational about what he said whatsoever.

He made some arbitrary distinction between being a ***** and being a dick that seems to be based on nothing more than winning, and then randomly assigned Marrone to the winning category based on nothing at all.

He's essentially grasping at straws to make it seem like Marrone's recent outbursts will somehow translate to wins.

He does this with everything that happens to the team. He starts with the conclusion that it's positive, then ignores mountains of evidence that it's negative while desperately trying to justify his conclusion.

He has to be a troll because no one could be this naive and oblivious.

7. Post thanked by:

Fletch (08-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Got to disagree Op. Made perfect sense to me. I'm not saying its necessarily true but it is a good angle.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    belicheat is actually a mediocre cheater of a coach who lucked into the best qb of all time that makes him look waaaaay smarter than the rest of his coaching record reveals. but i get your point
    Except he took a Vinny Testaverde lead Browns team to 11-5 with the best defense in football and an o-line that gave up something like 12 sacks on the year in 1994. And in 1995 they were preseason darlings to make it to the Superbowl and then well everyone knows what happened next.

Belichick established himself as a good coach prior to being in NE.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jauron is the best coach this team has had since Levy.

He was given a talent deficient roster and coached and gameplanned the team to have a chance at winning games it had no business even being in. The game vs the Colts where he had Losman only throw the ball like 15 times is a prime example of it.

With more talent Jauron would have coached the team to the playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Jauron is the best coach this team has had since Levy.

He was given a talent deficient roster and coached and gameplanned the team to have a chance at winning games it had no business even being in. The game vs the Colts where he had Losman only throw the ball like 15 times is a prime example of it.

With more talent Jauron would have coached the team to the playoffs.
    Maybe but by the time we got there the fans would have been fast asleep.

12. Post thanked by:

imbondz (08-29-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Maybe but by the time we got there the fans would have been fast asleep.
    He was trying to win games not be entertaining. He had the offense specifically gameplanned to hide the biggest weakness on it, Losman, and the team almost stole a victory vs the Colts by doing it.

He was a square in a square peg type of guy unlike the guy who succeeded him tried to make everyone and everything fit what he wanted to do exclusively. Which led Fitzpatrick forced to try and carry too many games when he is not the type of QB who can do that.

I have no idea what the philosophy is now other than the OC looks like he's in way over his head at this level.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,168 Times in 13,657 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Got to disagree Op. Made perfect sense to me. I'm not saying its necessarily true but it is a good angle.
    Yeah well, my opinion aside, think about this:

He starts threads like this, then never responds even when other posters get in heated arguments over the opinion he expressed.

That has "troll" written all over it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chan was a loser.
    Chan was a Dick Bag

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Chan was a loser.
    Chan was a double loser

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It was pure conjecture. We don't know all the details, and like so many other posters that post without any facts much less any relevant ones, there are none there either.

So while it may sound good and may make sense to you, it's far from rational, it's pure guesswork.

I get the opposite take, that Marrone's lost control of the team and is starting to have little tantrums. I've rarely seen a player challenge a coach openly the way that we heard about who was it, Hughes, in camp did. Usually that stuff happens in games after heated moments, not in camp.

Is there any concrete indication that Marone actually knows what he's doing and has control over this team? I don't see any. It's clear that Hackett has no ****ing clue what's going on and since the issues between Marone and Whaley seem to be regarding the offense, I'd say that spills over to Marone.

I think he's on the cusp of losing the players' respect. I haven't read anything in a good long while about how any of the players are buying into this system or Manuel in any great measure.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Except he took a Vinny Testaverde lead Browns team to 11-5 with the best defense in football and an o-line that gave up something like 12 sacks on the year in 1994. And in 1995 they were preseason darlings to make it to the Superbowl and then well everyone knows what happened next.

Belichick established himself as a good coach prior to being in NE.
    LOL

Belicheat's records in Cleveland were 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, and 5-11.

In his 1st season in New England he was 5-11.

In his 2nd season in New England he started 0-2 before Bledsoe went down.

All in all without Brady he's been 41-57. (.418) That's worse than Jauron's career mark. In fact, they're comparable pre-Brady. Jauron posted a 13-3 season amidst a bunch of losing ones too.

Now I know that we here in Buffalo may have a different defintion of being good, but that's not it under any circumstances.

Your point on Testeverde is lost. He was also there in the years prior to and after that year. He had 16 TDs and 18 INTs that season, hardly the reason for their 11 wins. Two seasons later Marchibroda got 33 TDs to 19 INTs out of Testeverde.

They only beat two teams with winning records that regular season. They lost to the Steelers all three times. The only good team that they beat was Dallas. It was kind of like our 2004 season, built on a soft schedule and favorable circumstances.

Either way, Belicheat's 41-57 pre-Brady record speaks for itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,449 Times in 17,361 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

To be fair nobody knows what the climate is like in the locker and meeting rooms either...for all we know, the players have bought into the system and Doug, and we're just not seeing it on the field. That being said...

If the preseason performances carry over into the regular season, I could see Marrone melting down before the halfway point. Good thing we've got an experienced HC in the wings.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yes, this attitude of Marrone's is especially badass. It takes a ballsy Head Coach to send his team out and score zero points. Points are for conformists. They're facist. Who needs points? F! points!

Marrone is the Johnny Rotten of football coaches. A regular punk rocker. Never mind the bollocks (or the points), here's the Buffalo Bills!

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,970 Times in 15,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Belicheck earned my respect in SB XXV.

No way that game should have even be close.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He was trying to win games not be entertaining. He had the offense specifically gameplanned to hide the biggest weakness on it, Losman, and the team almost stole a victory vs the Colts by doing it.

He was a square in a square peg type of guy unlike the guy who succeeded him tried to make everyone and everything fit what he wanted to do exclusively. Which led Fitzpatrick forced to try and carry too many games when he is not the type of QB who can do that.

I have no idea what the philosophy is now other than the OC looks like he's in way over his head at this level.
    Jauron did about as well record wise as he could when he was here, don't disagree. Having said that the biggest reason I watch the games is for entertainment and his teams were beyond boring, like watching soccer. So on balance I would prefer Chan to Dick which isn't saying much. 7-9 with Dick vs 6-10 with Chan isn't worth having to drink a Big Gulp at 12:30 Sunday afternoon in order to avoid nodding off.

And you're right about a lack of identity with this team. Honestly it surprises me but maybe they really aren't sure yet what they have if anything with Manuel but it's a concern.