Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    I agree. He's the type of player that can play the position and hold the team down. He's a quality back up. There's no disputing that. And as someone above mentioned he is a great vetern presence for EJ. However I just can't understand how some people can think that a guy can come in after cut down day and be ready to effectively play in week one.

I really like the move long term. Short term being the first quarter of the season, he doesn't help us at all I feel.
    I think Orton could be ready to play by week 3...he's gotten ready that quickly before on a new team.

Kansas City picked him up in the later part of November in 2011. Three-and-a-half weeks later he started, and the Chiefs beat the Packers, who were on a 19-game winning streak. Orton did pretty well too...threw for 300 yards. He started the final three games, where the Chiefs went 2-1.

I think he'd be up to speed enough after the first 2 games.

Picking up Orton is probably the best move the Bills could realistically make at this point IMO. Not that he's "all that," but he's a solid backup that you know can step in.

2. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-30-2014),Jry44 (08-31-2014),Mace (08-30-2014),swiper (08-30-2014)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Orton will be starting by week 5, by week 8, the days of Rob Johnson will be remembered fondly as the good old days.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
    Orton will be starting by week 5, by week 8, the days of Rob Johnson will be remembered fondly as the good old days.
    That should make the champagne corks pop in CLE...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

5. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (08-30-2014),TacklingDummy (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    Except for it being addressed already
    No it hasn't. They were chasing him. Great. Why didn't he sign then? Your post doesn't explain that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They're paying Orton $5m this year.

Most inept front office in a long time, and we've had some bad ones. I can't believe they were this ****ing dumb, ignored the backup position all year, ignore QBs in the draft, and then go out and shell out money to a QB a week before the season starts. This is a move that should have been made months ago, instead it's done in haste, total rush job and we won't see much of a benefit to this move.

They will all be gone at the end of the year.

8. Post thanked by:

Slick (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post

Most inept front office in a long time, and we've had some bad ones. I can't believe they were this ****ing dumb, ignored the backup position all year, ignore QBs in the draft, and then go out and shell out money to a QB a week before the season starts. This is a move that should have been made months ago, instead it's done in haste, total rush job and we won't see much of a benefit to this move.

At the end of the day we have our QBs as EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton which as strong as a pairing you can find in the NFL these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post

Well said, can't agree more.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    At the end of the day we have our QBs as EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton which as strong as a pairing you can find in the NFL these days.
    It is? An over-drafted guy who has never shown anything at the NFL level and a guy who 2 different franchises decided wasn't good enough to be their regular QB so has had to settle for being a backup since 2012?

There are a lot of teams better than that.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    It is? An over-drafted guy who has never shown anything at the NFL level and a guy who 2 different franchises decided wasn't good enough to be their regular QB so has had to settle for being a backup since 2012?

There are a lot of teams better than that.
    never shown anything in the NFL? Please it's comments like this that truly agitate me as a Bills fan. Do you remember the final drive against Carolina? Do you remember how he was moving the offense before his injury against Cleveland? Do you remember the plays he made late against Atlanta? Or his strong play in the second Jets game or against the Panthers? Heck he also did pretty remarkable in Week 1 against the Patriots last year. In terms of Orton, tell me who in the NFL is a better backup QB? I will agree that a lot of teams have a better QB1 than Manuel but not many have the potential we have at both QB spots to win every week.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

never shown anything in the NFL? Please it's comments like this that truly agitate me as a Bills fan. Do you remember the final drive against Carolina? Do you remember how he was moving the offense before his injury against Cleveland? Do you remember the plays he made late against Atlanta? Or his strong play in the second Jets game or against the Panthers? Heck he also did pretty remarkable in Week 1 against the Patriots last year. In terms of Orton, tell me who in the NFL is a better backup QB? I will agree that a lot of teams have a better QB1 than Manuel but not many have the potential we have at both QB spots to win every week.
    I agree Orton is a good backup, but he isn't a starter. EJ isn't even a good backup. He is terrible.

The choice is EJ with his 58.8% completions and 6.4 yards per attempt or Orton with his career 58.5% completions and 6.6 yards per attempt. Forgive me if I don't think there are teams better off.
    Last edited by GingerP; 08-30-2014 at 07:15 PM.

15. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Crack is whack

17. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,581 Times in 17,458 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post
    I admit, I did read about this last night, so I partially retract my "why didn't they sign him 4 months ago" comment.

However, the gist of the post still stands. Why didn't the Bills get ahold of Orton on the 16th of July, before the ink was even dry on his release papers from Dallas? That would have gotten him in here with time to learn the playbook, with 5 preseason games to try and get some chemistry with the receivers, backs and tight ends...

Instead, the Bills wait until less than 24 hours before final cutdowns to finally sign a quarterback worth a ****.

-Bill
    How do you know they didn't?

Jesus H Christ, for the life of me I don't know why some people think free agents are sweating bullets waiting for the phone to ring and just praying it's the buffalo Bills on the other end of the line.

Unless the offer is mega-bucks and a starting gig, who the hell with half of a brain cell is going to jump at what would amount to be a first offer?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

19. Post thanked by:

Jry44 (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Crack is whack
    Name me 12 NFL teams that have two QBs that you like better than EJ and Orton? As to me to be better than average you should be in the top 12 of something (since 12 teams make the NFL playoffs).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Name me 12 NFL teams that have two QBs that you like better than EJ and Orton? As to me to be better than average you should be in the top 12 of something (since 12 teams make the NFL playoffs).
    I'll name about 28 teams with a better starting QB then EJ.
    Last edited by sudzy; 08-30-2014 at 07:22 PM.

22. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (08-30-2014),WagonCircler (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    I'll name about 28 teams with a better starting QB the EJ.
    You're missing the entire point I'm trying to make then.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It looks like your trying to make it sound like QB is a strength for the Bills. That argument loses credibility once you mention EJ. Orton is a nice back up and maybe a reliable start (I hope).

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really any team with a QB better than either of them, which is just about every team, has a better situation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GingerP View Post
    Really any team with a QB better than either of them, which is just about every team, has a better situation.
    I didn't say either of them I said both of them. As sure EJ as a starter now is not in the top 20 NFL QB but I think he has the potential to do so. Then in terms or Orton show me 12 teams that have a better backup QB in play.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    You pull the douche card a lot these days.

I don't blame you. I'd be *****ly and defensive too if I spent the last year and a half of my life militantly positioning myself as the world's biggest EJ fan/apologist only to see it blow up in my face.

My condolences for your lack of credibility on anything Bills related.

But keep shooting for the stars, one day you'll get something right!
    I pull the douche card a lot lately, because a lot of douches are on this board lately.

Show me where I have positioned myself as the Worlds biggest EJ fan/ appologist.

Before the draft, I said I wanted the Bills to draft Mike Glennon & posted recently in a different thread that I still wish the Bills had drafted Glennon.

All I have ever said about EJ is that he should be given this year to prove himself.

Douches post CRAP that is not true.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And if I have a choice between watching EJ this year that may not be a Starting quality NFL QB, or Orton who has already proven he is not an NFL Starting QB, I hope to God EJ stays healthy.