• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
    I agree. He's the type of player that can play the position and hold the team down. He's a quality back up. There's no disputing that. And as someone above mentioned he is a great vetern presence for EJ. However I just can't understand how some people can think that a guy can come in after cut down day and be ready to effectively play in week one.

I really like the move long term. Short term being the first quarter of the season, he doesn't help us at all I feel.
    I think Orton could be ready to play by week 3...he's gotten ready that quickly before on a new team.

Kansas City picked him up in the later part of November in 2011. Three-and-a-half weeks later he started, and the Chiefs beat the Packers, who were on a 19-game winning streak. Orton did pretty well too...threw for 300 yards. He started the final three games, where the Chiefs went 2-1.

I think he'd be up to speed enough after the first 2 games.

Picking up Orton is probably the best move the Bills could realistically make at this point IMO. Not that he's "all that," but he's a solid backup that you know can step in.

Comment

• Gibby
      Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
      • Jun 2006

Orton will be starting by week 5, by week 8, the days of Rob Johnson will be remembered fondly as the good old days.

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post
        Orton will be starting by week 5, by week 8, the days of Rob Johnson will be remembered fondly as the good old days.
        That should make the champagne corks pop in CLE...
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Swiper
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
          Except for it being addressed already
          No it hasn't. They were chasing him. Great. Why didn't he sign then? Your post doesn't explain that.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
            • Sep 2009

They're paying Orton $5m this year.

Most inept front office in a long time, and we've had some bad ones. I can't believe they were this ****ing dumb, ignored the backup position all year, ignore QBs in the draft, and then go out and shell out money to a QB a week before the season starts. This is a move that should have been made months ago, instead it's done in haste, total rush job and we won't see much of a benefit to this move.

They will all be gone at the end of the year.

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post

Most inept front office in a long time, and we've had some bad ones. I can't believe they were this ****ing dumb, ignored the backup position all year, ignore QBs in the draft, and then go out and shell out money to a QB a week before the season starts. This is a move that should have been made months ago, instead it's done in haste, total rush job and we won't see much of a benefit to this move.

At the end of the day we have our QBs as EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton which as strong as a pairing you can find in the NFL these days.

Comment

• Turf
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post

Well said, can't agree more.
                Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• GingerP
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                  At the end of the day we have our QBs as EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton which as strong as a pairing you can find in the NFL these days.
                  It is? An over-drafted guy who has never shown anything at the NFL level and a guy who 2 different franchises decided wasn't good enough to be their regular QB so has had to settle for being a backup since 2012?

There are a lot of teams better than that.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
                    It is? An over-drafted guy who has never shown anything at the NFL level and a guy who 2 different franchises decided wasn't good enough to be their regular QB so has had to settle for being a backup since 2012?

There are a lot of teams better than that.
                    never shown anything in the NFL? Please it's comments like this that truly agitate me as a Bills fan. Do you remember the final drive against Carolina? Do you remember how he was moving the offense before his injury against Cleveland? Do you remember the plays he made late against Atlanta? Or his strong play in the second Jets game or against the Panthers? Heck he also did pretty remarkable in Week 1 against the Patriots last year. In terms of Orton, tell me who in the NFL is a better backup QB? I will agree that a lot of teams have a better QB1 than Manuel but not many have the potential we have at both QB spots to win every week.

Comment

• GingerP
                      • Aug 2012

never shown anything in the NFL? Please it's comments like this that truly agitate me as a Bills fan. Do you remember the final drive against Carolina? Do you remember how he was moving the offense before his injury against Cleveland? Do you remember the plays he made late against Atlanta? Or his strong play in the second Jets game or against the Panthers? Heck he also did pretty remarkable in Week 1 against the Patriots last year. In terms of Orton, tell me who in the NFL is a better backup QB? I will agree that a lot of teams have a better QB1 than Manuel but not many have the potential we have at both QB spots to win every week.
                      I agree Orton is a good backup, but he isn't a starter. EJ isn't even a good backup. He is terrible.

The choice is EJ with his 58.8% completions and 6.4 yards per attempt or Orton with his career 58.5% completions and 6.6 yards per attempt. Forgive me if I don't think there are teams better off.
                      Last edited by GingerP; 08-30-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• sudzy
                        • Apr 2013

Crack is whack

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
                          I admit, I did read about this last night, so I partially retract my "why didn't they sign him 4 months ago" comment.

However, the gist of the post still stands. Why didn't the Bills get ahold of Orton on the 16th of July, before the ink was even dry on his release papers from Dallas? That would have gotten him in here with time to learn the playbook, with 5 preseason games to try and get some chemistry with the receivers, backs and tight ends...

Instead, the Bills wait until less than 24 hours before final cutdowns to finally sign a quarterback worth a ****.

-Bill
                          How do you know they didn't?

Jesus H Christ, for the life of me I don't know why some people think free agents are sweating bullets waiting for the phone to ring and just praying it's the buffalo Bills on the other end of the line.

Unless the offer is mega-bucks and a starting gig, who the hell with half of a brain cell is going to jump at what would amount to be a first offer?
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                            Crack is whack
                            Name me 12 NFL teams that have two QBs that you like better than EJ and Orton? As to me to be better than average you should be in the top 12 of something (since 12 teams make the NFL playoffs).

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

Name me 12 NFL teams that have two QBs that you like better than EJ and Orton? As to me to be better than average you should be in the top 12 of something (since 12 teams make the NFL playoffs).
                              I'll name about 28 teams with a better starting QB then EJ.
                              Last edited by sudzy; 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                                I'll name about 28 teams with a better starting QB the EJ.
                                You're missing the entire point I'm trying to make then.

Comment

Working...
                                X