• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyGold
    • Dec 2008

Re: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
    This whole, entire thing couldn't possibly be more wrong.

This guy was beaten out by TIM TEBOW!

There is just no way to realistically expect a guy to come in a grasp the entire playbook and be comfortable enough with his receivers in ONE WEEK to the point to where he will be comfortable in not only playing, but playing at a decent level. Week one?? REALLY??? Prepare to be surprised, because the only way that happens is if EJ slips on the Kevin Kolb mat and hurts his knee again.
    Since Jim Kelly retired following the Wild Card loss to Jacksonville, the Buffalo Bills have had any number of starting quarterbacks. Only Holcomb (4-4) and Flutie (21-9) have played .500 ball or better. Orton's career record is 35-35.

With 35 career victories, that gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any QB we've had since Bledsoe... hell, it gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any random 3 or 4 qbs that have started since Kelly left COMBINED have as NFL starters.

This is the most talent we've had at the position since we traded for Bledsoe. Today is the happiest I've been as a Bills fan in years--and yes, that says more about the Bills than me, but so be it. There's a reason we haven't had a shot at the playoffs since Bledsoe was here, and it's QB play. With Orton under center, and the weapons we have, combined with our D, I just went from thinking 2-14, to thinking 9-7 or 10-6.

The sooner Orton starts, the better. Bring out the rubber mats that did in Kolb, or hide the playbook ala Billie Joe Hobart--either way, get Orton on the field.

Suddenly our wideouts look better, our running game seems incredibly dangerous, and our offensive line looks "young and learning how to gel".

Saddest people this morning: Browns fans.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
      Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 22m Two sources tell me Bills have been trying to sign Kyle Orton for months because Thad Lewis played so poorly in OTAs. Lewis never rallied.
      Well, the Cowboys didn't cut Orton until July 15 so I think that is a bunch of BS.

Like most of the CRAP Tim Graham puts out.

Rodack & Graham, two of the WORST reporters in the entire NFL covering the Bills.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
        No it isn't. All you have to do is WATCH Manuel play. He has so many limitations. It's what wagoncircler has been saying all along. He has issues with things you can't teach.
        Aside from being inconsistent with his accuracy, what are these many limitations you see in Manuel?

Things you can't teach: physical tools- EJ has those.

EJ also has leadership ability & a strong work ethic, which is the reason I think he will be successful given time.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
          I can buy into with most of what you're saying here. I do disagree with your point about Manuel's regressions. What I see is a young player without the training wheels. No more basic plays, full playbook. This isnt something any player can just walk into and immediately succeed. Last year Manuel was still operating at a college level going through basic progressions. The offense is opening up more to him this year and it will be his failures now that can later lead to second opportunities. I give the kid the season before kicking him out the door.
          I agree about working with Manual properly. I'm just saying that he could take a step backwards. We may have been witnessing it in camp. He isn't going to get much more of a basic playbook than was used in pre season right? When they start playing the games it may emerge that he's going to struggle for a bit and this move gives us a much better option in that situation. I also am speaking to the backlash we are going to see if he struggles and Orton plays. That does not necessarily indicate Manual is a bust. If everyone does their jobs properly this should be a best of both worlds type of move ... a type of move the team has been very unwilling to make for years. Kudos!

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
            Aside from being inconsistent with his accuracy, what are these many limitations you see in Manuel?

Things you can't teach: physical tools- EJ has those.

EJ also has leadership ability & a strong work ethic, which is the reason I think he will be successful given time.
            I agree with that. His issue seems to be in processing. That would indicate he can turn it around. But on what time frame? That is the critical question and how much are you going to throw the entire team to the wolves for one players time frame of development?

Comment

• Jaybird
              • Dec 2005

You can't fix accuracy. I know everyone says you adjust a qb footwork and it will fix it, but I don't believe that is the case. Eli manning is a perfect example. He's not accurate and that's why will never be elite.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jaybird View Post
                You can't fix accuracy. I know everyone says you adjust a qb footwork and it will fix it, but I don't believe that is the case. Eli manning is a perfect example. He's not accurate and that's why will never be elite.
                You can't hold your standards at elitism though it's too hard to find. If I remember correctly Manning smoked the Patriots for their only loss of the season in the Super Bowl.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Well, Eli has won TWO Super Bowls. I would take that over an accurate QB that fails to win the BIG ONE, like Eli's ELITE brother.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                    I agree with that. His issue seems to be in processing. That would indicate he can turn it around. But on what time frame? That is the critical question and how much are you going to throw the entire team to the wolves for one players time frame of development?
                    Well, this year at least, that is a given.

After the team is sold?

Comment

• JoeMama
                      Emotion Sickness
                      • Oct 2002

I not only endorse this signing, but I also give it a **** YEAH!

The Neckbeard put together some respectable seasons in Denver in terms of yardage and TD/INT ratio.

More importantly, he brings a hell of a lot more credibility to the questionable state of our QB situation.

And he can spend a few weeks learning the offense while we tick off the clock until EJ has another knee go gimpy.

Win/win signing.

+1
                      Last edited by JoeMama; 08-30-2014, 10:05 AM.
                      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                        I not only endorse this signing, but I also give it a **** YEAH!

The Neckbeard put together some respectable seasons in Denver in terms of yardage and TD/INT ratio.

More importantly, he brings a hell of a lot more credibility to the questionable state of our QB situation.

And he can spend a few weeks learning the offense while we tick off the clock until EJ has another knee go gimpy.

Win/win signing.

+1
                        Well, as has been pointed out before, Orton lost the starting job in Denver to Tebow who got the Broncos to the playoffs.

In his one start with Dallas last year, Orton threw two TD's & two INT's.

He is not all that, but he is better than Thad or Jordan.

I think our best hope is that EJ stays healthy & continues to improve.

Comment

• Jry44
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post
                          Since Jim Kelly retired following the Wild Card loss to Jacksonville, the Buffalo Bills have had any number of starting quarterbacks. Only Holcomb (4-4) and Flutie (21-9) have played .500 ball or better. Orton's career record is 35-35.

With 35 career victories, that gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any QB we've had since Bledsoe... hell, it gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any random 3 or 4 qbs that have started since Kelly left COMBINED have as NFL starters.

This is the most talent we've had at the position since we traded for Bledsoe. Today is the happiest I've been as a Bills fan in years--and yes, that says more about the Bills than me, but so be it. There's a reason we haven't had a shot at the playoffs since Bledsoe was here, and it's QB play. With Orton under center, and the weapons we have, combined with our D, I just went from thinking 2-14, to thinking 9-7 or 10-6.

The sooner Orton starts, the better. Bring out the rubber mats that did in Kolb, or hide the playbook ala Billie Joe Hobart--either way, get Orton on the field.

Suddenly our wideouts look better, our running game seems incredibly dangerous, and our offensive line looks "young and learning how to gel".

Saddest people this morning: Browns fans.
                          I understand the frustrations associated with this team being a losing organization for almost a decade and a half, however I think your expectations for what Kyle Orton will do for this team are completely over blown. No wonder so many are left so disappointed with expectations like this....

Yes, he is a solid veteran back up. However he is not going to be a guy that will help us immediately because as much as you want to deny it, yes, he DOES need to learn our system. Not ALL offensive terminology is universal. It is much easier for any other position on the offense to come in a integrate with the offense in a fairly short amount of time because they only have to know the terms associated with their position. A QB has to know the terminology associated with every position! he will not get that completely down in a week. And yes, he needs to establish a comfort level and timing with his receivers.

How many quarterbacks were signed by a team a week before the start of a season and then started week one while going on to have a good season?

Comment

• Jry44
                            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            Well, the Cowboys didn't cut Orton until July 15 so I think that is a bunch of BS.

Like most of the CRAP Tim Graham puts out.

Rodack & Graham, two of the WORST reporters in the entire NFL covering the Bills.

This doesn't mean that they weren't trying to trade and sign him. Yes, Tim Graham does put out a lot of pessimistic, incessantly pissing stuff. However he is about as plugged into the team as any anyone.

Comment

• Jry44
                              • Apr 2013

The guy is a two time super bowl MVP. He's doing something right.....

Comment

• better days
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
                                This doesn't mean that they weren't trying to trade and sign him. Yes, Tim Graham does put out a lot of pessimistic, incessantly pissing stuff. However he is about as plugged into the team as any anyone.
                                If Graham had said the Bills were trying to TRADE for Orton, your argument might hold water, but it did not.

It said they were trying to SIGN him.............while he was under contract with the Cowboys.

IMO, Joe Buscalgia is the only decent reporter the Bills have.

Comment

Working...
                                X