Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    I not only endorse this signing, but I also give it a **** YEAH!

The Neckbeard put together some respectable seasons in Denver in terms of yardage and TD/INT ratio.

More importantly, he brings a hell of a lot more credibility to the questionable state of our QB situation.

And he can spend a few weeks learning the offense while we tick off the clock until EJ has another knee go gimpy.

Win/win signing.

+1
    Well, as has been pointed out before, Orton lost the starting job in Denver to Tebow who got the Broncos to the playoffs.

In his one start with Dallas last year, Orton threw two TD's & two INT's.

He is not all that, but he is better than Thad or Jordan.

I think our best hope is that EJ stays healthy & continues to improve.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGold View Post
    Since Jim Kelly retired following the Wild Card loss to Jacksonville, the Buffalo Bills have had any number of starting quarterbacks. Only Holcomb (4-4) and Flutie (21-9) have played .500 ball or better. Orton's career record is 35-35.

With 35 career victories, that gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any QB we've had since Bledsoe... hell, it gives him more wins as an NFL starter than any random 3 or 4 qbs that have started since Kelly left COMBINED have as NFL starters.

This is the most talent we've had at the position since we traded for Bledsoe. Today is the happiest I've been as a Bills fan in years--and yes, that says more about the Bills than me, but so be it. There's a reason we haven't had a shot at the playoffs since Bledsoe was here, and it's QB play. With Orton under center, and the weapons we have, combined with our D, I just went from thinking 2-14, to thinking 9-7 or 10-6.

The sooner Orton starts, the better. Bring out the rubber mats that did in Kolb, or hide the playbook ala Billie Joe Hobart--either way, get Orton on the field.

Suddenly our wideouts look better, our running game seems incredibly dangerous, and our offensive line looks "young and learning how to gel".

Saddest people this morning: Browns fans.
    I understand the frustrations associated with this team being a losing organization for almost a decade and a half, however I think your expectations for what Kyle Orton will do for this team are completely over blown. No wonder so many are left so disappointed with expectations like this....

Yes, he is a solid veteran back up. However he is not going to be a guy that will help us immediately because as much as you want to deny it, yes, he DOES need to learn our system. Not ALL offensive terminology is universal. It is much easier for any other position on the offense to come in a integrate with the offense in a fairly short amount of time because they only have to know the terms associated with their position. A QB has to know the terminology associated with every position! he will not get that completely down in a week. And yes, he needs to establish a comfort level and timing with his receivers.

How many quarterbacks were signed by a team a week before the start of a season and then started week one while going on to have a good season?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, the Cowboys didn't cut Orton until July 15 so I think that is a bunch of BS.

Like most of the CRAP Tim Graham puts out.

Rodack & Graham, two of the WORST reporters in the entire NFL covering the Bills.

This doesn't mean that they weren't trying to trade and sign him. Yes, Tim Graham does put out a lot of pessimistic, incessantly pissing stuff. However he is about as plugged into the team as any anyone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
    You can't fix accuracy. I know everyone says you adjust a qb footwork and it will fix it, but I don't believe that is the case. Eli manning is a perfect example. He's not accurate and that's why will never be elite.

The guy is a two time super bowl MVP. He's doing something right.....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    This doesn't mean that they weren't trying to trade and sign him. Yes, Tim Graham does put out a lot of pessimistic, incessantly pissing stuff. However he is about as plugged into the team as any anyone.
    If Graham had said the Bills were trying to TRADE for Orton, your argument might hold water, but it did not.

It said they were trying to SIGN him.............while he was under contract with the Cowboys.

IMO, Joe Buscalgia is the only decent reporter the Bills have.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Graham had said the Bills were trying to TRADE for Orton, your argument might hold water, but it did not.

It said they were trying to SIGN him.............while he was under contract with the Cowboys.

IMO, Joe Buscalgia is the only decent reporter the Bills have.

Wait.... we're arguing?

I said trade for and SIGN him. Orton obviously wants to be a starting QB in this league again. It was apparent four months ago, and still is apparent now but not as firmly, that EJ is the starter here. After seeing EJ struggle in the preseason maybe Orton saw this as a better opportunity to gain a starting job at this juncture than he did four months ago, thus negating a trade and willingness to sign a contract extension here.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, as has been pointed out before, Orton lost the starting job in Denver to Tebow who got the Broncos to the playoffs.

In his one start with Dallas last year, Orton threw two TD's & two INT's.

He is not all that, but he is better than Thad or Jordan.

I think our best hope is that EJ stays healthy & continues to improve.
    Look, it's irrelevant if you think Manuel is better than Orton.

At this point, 99% of Bills fans are sick of you prattling on & on about EJ's brilliant upside while he continues to make zero progress -- if not outright regression.

Your enthusiasm for EJ is cute and we all appreciate your ability to remain so positive in light of such an overwhelming body of evidence that he's not a good quarterback.

Good for you! It's easy to be negative as a Bills fan. It's much harder to be positive because it takes such enormous blinders to do so.

Orton is an established vet who brings a moderate level of competence to this roster.

He's somebody we need, we got him, and that's what matters.

And hey, if down the road he sees some playing time, I'm interested to see what he does.

Now, while with the big boys are talking football, maybe you should go lie down in bed and gaze longingly at the poster of EJ you have taped to the ceiling. At least in the privacy in of your own home, your fantasies about EJ won't seem so bizarre.

8. Post thanked by:

Slick (08-30-2014),swiper (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, the Cowboys didn't cut Orton until July 15 so I think that is a bunch of BS.
    I admit, I did read about this last night, so I partially retract my "why didn't they sign him 4 months ago" comment.

However, the gist of the post still stands. Why didn't the Bills get ahold of Orton on the 16th of July, before the ink was even dry on his release papers from Dallas? That would have gotten him in here with time to learn the playbook, with 5 preseason games to try and get some chemistry with the receivers, backs and tight ends...

Instead, the Bills wait until less than 24 hours before final cutdowns to finally sign a quarterback worth a ****.

-Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How do you know they haven't been trying to get him in though? He might have been holding out on making a decision. We are only talking about a few weeks here. I agree they should have grabbed him but find it difficult to make the jump to assumptions why they didn't. Were I to make assumptions I would say the issues were:

1) Money
    2) Orton wants to play and somewhere a QB is going down ....

There are a lot of clubs were their QB to get injured in the last two weeks Orton is looking at starting 16 games. This week he's looking at not starting the season anywhere if he doesn't come on board. Do you see the issues here for both sides?

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post
    I admit, I did read about this last night, so I partially retract my "why didn't they sign him 4 months ago" comment.

However, the gist of the post still stands. Why didn't the Bills get ahold of Orton on the 16th of July, before the ink was even dry on his release papers from Dallas? That would have gotten him in here with time to learn the playbook, with 5 preseason games to try and get some chemistry with the receivers, backs and tight ends...

Instead, the Bills wait until less than 24 hours before final cutdowns to finally sign a quarterback worth a ****.

-Bill
    Last edited by Typ0; 08-30-2014 at 11:29 AM.

11. Post thanked by:

Jry44 (08-30-2014),Mace (08-30-2014),SquishDaFish (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    How do you know they haven't been trying to get him in though? He might have been holding out on making a decision. We are only talking about a few weeks here. I agree they should have grabbed him but find it difficult to make the jump to assumptions why they didn't. Were I to make assumptions I would say the issues were:

1) Money

There are a lot of clubs were their QB to get injured in the last two weeks Orton is looking at starting 16 games. This week he's looking at not starting the season anywhere if he doesn't come on board. Do you see the issues here for both sides?
    No doubt, valid points.

Personally, I doubt the issue was money... I don't see the Bills' offer being much different, if any different than it would have been a month ago.

Also, had Orton been in camp, we might have had a real QB competition with Manuel for the starting spot, instead of the whole "backup QB competition" we were told we got.

As it stands, Orton doesn't really have a chance to start 16 games... Had he signed in July, that might have been a possibility.

-Bill

13. Post thanked by:

Typ0 (08-30-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post

1) Money

I thought he was going to retire. And why not? Several years' of NFL qb pay, signing bonuses, the pay-out by DAL...along with a solid gold NFL pension. Not to mention no longer having to expose the body to potential grievous bodily harm on the playing field.

He has only been is 13 games the past 4 seasons.

Enter BUF, committed to Manuel. If things turn out well, Orton gets a pile of loot for being a clipboard jockey. What a nice gig.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

At this point, 99% of Bills fans are sick of you prattling on & on about EJ's brilliant upside while he continues to make zero progress -- if not outright regression.

Your enthusiasm for EJ is cute and we all appreciate your ability to remain so positive in light of such an overwhelming body of evidence that he's not a good quarterback.

Good for you! It's easy to be negative as a Bills fan. It's much harder to be positive because it takes such enormous blinders to do so.

Orton is an established vet who brings a moderate level of competence to this roster.

And hey, if down the road he sees some playing time, I'm interested to see what he does.

Now, while with the big boys are talking football, maybe you should go lie down in bed and gaze longingly at the poster of EJ you have taped to the ceiling. At least in the privacy in of your own home, your fantasies about EJ won't seem so bizarre.
    Well, you ended this post sounding like a douche.

I said, Orton is a better back up than Thad or Jordan, but he has already PROVEN he is NOT an NFL Starting QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
    He has the look of a born mentor.

18. Post thanked by:

IlluminatusUIUC (08-30-2014),starrymessenger (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, you ended this post sounding like a douche.

I said, Orton is a better back up than Thad or Jordan, but he has already PROVEN he is NOT an NFL Starting QB.
    You pull the douche card a lot these days.

I don't blame you. I'd be *****ly and defensive too if I spent the last year and a half of my life militantly positioning myself as the world's biggest EJ fan/apologist only to see it blow up in my face.

My condolences for your lack of credibility on anything Bills related.

But keep shooting for the stars, one day you'll get something right!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

+1

- - - Updated - - -

You pull the douche card a lot these days.

I don't blame you. I'd be *****ly and defensive too if I spent the last year and a half of my life militantly positioning myself as the world's biggest EJ fan/apologist only to see it blow up in my face.

My condolences for your lack of credibility on anything Bills related.

But keep shooting for the stars, one day you'll get something right!
    Yeah. Then in other threads he claims he never does that.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When Orton wins a few games. The blinders will come off.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    When Orton wins a few games. The blinders will come off.
    I like Orton and like the signing but being a Bills fan I'm hoping he doesn't see the field much this year because if he doesn't it means good things for are other QB (and no, I don't mean Tuel).

23. Post thanked by:

Jry44 (08-30-2014),Mace (08-30-2014),Meathead (08-30-2014),SquishDaFish (08-30-2014),Typ0 (08-30-2014),YardRat (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

-Bill
    Maybe Orton didn't feel he want to take part in camp and/or wants to be just the backup QB and not part of another QB controversy that might have transpired if he signed earlier? Maybe it wasn't a lack of ineptness of the organization and perhaps a choice by Orton not to sign until now? We don't know but the truth is Orton is exactly what most here wanted in a backup QB and now we have it. Let's let EJ demonstrate during the regular season he doesn't deserve to be our starting QB before we toss him aside for the next nice shiny piece of candy that comes along.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 08-30-2014 at 12:53 PM.

25. Post thanked by:

Jry44 (08-30-2014),SquishDaFish (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not sure if this point got glazed over...but Ortons chance to start 16 games was for a Starting QB on some team to get injured for the season in the last couple weeks of camp. It happens many years. Thus, he may have been waiting for that situation to open up for him so he could start 16 games. I didn't mean he would be starting 16 games here in any case....

I do agree with what you are saying about them avoiding a QB controversy here though.

No doubt, valid points.

Personally, I doubt the issue was money... I don't see the Bills' offer being much different, if any different than it would have been a month ago.

Also, had Orton been in camp, we might have had a real QB competition with Manuel for the starting spot, instead of the whole "backup QB competition" we were told we got.

As it stands, Orton doesn't really have a chance to start 16 games... Had he signed in July, that might have been a possibility.

-Bill