Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Orton new name is Williams Orton Williams (WOW), which ironically is what you'll say when you see him play.

2. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post
    ...And this wasn't done 4 months ago why...?

-Bill
    Best post in the thread.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    So Orton improved since his rookie year and EJ won't?

This is my biggest problem with the people who do nothing but ***** about Manuel. They don't want to compare him to what other guys did as rookies.It is ****ing stupid
    No it isn't. All you have to do is WATCH Manuel play. He has so many limitations. It's what wagoncircler has been saying all along. He has issues with things you can't teach.

5. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At least he's better than Lewis.

Manuel/Orton/Tuel >>Manuel/Lewis/Tuel....so it's an upgrade, albeit a minor one.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

7. Post thanked by:

SquishDaFish (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's also better than Tuel and Manuel.

9. Post thanked by:

jills (08-30-2014),Mr. Pink (08-30-2014),WagonCircler (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Praise the lord!

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,296 Times in 15,444 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"Lou...this is your chance to manage in the big leagues"

"I'll get back to you later....I got a guy coming in now for a set of radial tires."

-Major League

12. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-30-2014),cookie G (08-30-2014),IlluminatusUIUC (08-30-2014),Mr. Pink (08-30-2014),SquishDaFish (08-30-2014),Thurmal (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 12,393 Times in 7,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
    Are people really excited about Orton? Give me a break. He's a journeyman back up with skill set equivalent to Ryan Fitzpatrick. We are going to fall into this never ending cycle. We have a really bad qb and a below average qb will step in after an injury and play mediocre and we'll make him our franchise qb. Losman to Edwards. Edwards to Fitz. Manuel to Orton. When will this end? Woulda rather took a shot with Tebow. We know what we get with Orton and Tebow but at least I might be able to watch some entertaining football with Tebow.

Yeah. Him and EJ having an inaccuracy contest would be really entertaining!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
    Are people really excited about Orton? Give me a break. He's a journeyman back up with skill set equivalent to Ryan Fitzpatrick. We are going to fall into this never ending cycle. We have a really bad qb and a below average qb will step in after an injury and play mediocre and we'll make him our franchise qb. Losman to Edwards. Edwards to Fitz. Manuel to Orton. When will this end? Woulda rather took a shot with Tebow. We know what we get with Orton and Tebow but at least I might be able to watch some entertaining football with Tebow.
    Well, I don't think that too many people think that Orton is the difference between another 6-10 team and a playoff team. First of all they're not going to sit Manuel, but at some point this season, likely sooner than later, it's going to become blatant to the team that Manuel's a bust. They're less willing to throw the towel in than fans and media are, especially since when out goes Manuel so too out goes Whaley's future.

At the same time, I do think that it may be the difference between football that's worth watching or not worth watching. I mean seriously, how many of us are really looking forward with anticipation to watching Manuel hack up the field.

If you ask me, the reason why this or another strong backup QB move wasn't made earlier it is because the team didn't want a QB controversy, so they wanted more unknown type of QBs in there than one like Orton who the fans are going to be chanting for sometime during our first home game.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    if we are going to do this right we need to think up witty mean nicknames for each qb and use them to insult each other for the next four months
    You're so much smarter than the rest of us.

maybe you could evaluate how race affects the position?

or r u too busy wheeling around Love Canal?

17. Post thanked by:

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,062 Times in 4,266 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not overly excited, but I will say this. Orton has been successful as a starter in the past.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills didnt sign Orton to start and you're fooling yourself if you believe that. The same people were calling for Thad Lewis to be promoted to QB1. Where is he now? Teams just chomping at the bit for a piece of Lewis.

Your jagged little pill:

Marrone and Hackett are hanging their pro career hats on Manuel. If the Bills were seriously concerned about Manuel they would have done something more significant than Kyle Orton or Jordan Palmer. The draft would have looked much differnt or they would have been involved in a trade for a QB with a lot more upside. Orton's days are numbered. He' a journeyman at best. A quality back up in the event of injury.

It is blatantly obvious the move for Orton is because they are trying to shore up the back up QB position with vet experience.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (08-30-2014),Bills Juggernaut (08-30-2014),Jry44 (08-30-2014),Meathead (08-30-2014),SquishDaFish (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE View Post
    The Bills didnt sign Orton to start and you're fooling yourself if you believe that. The same people were calling for Thad Lewis to be promoted to QB1. Where is he now? Teams just chomping at the bit for a piece of Lewis.

Your jagged little pill:

Marrone and Hackett are hanging their pro career hats on Manuel. If the Bills were seriously concerned about Manuel they would have done something more significant than Kyle Orton or Jordan Palmer. The draft would have looked much differnt or they would have been involved in a trade for a QB with a lot more upside. Orton's days are numbered. He' a journeyman at best. A quality back up in the event of injury.

It is blatantly obvious the move for Orton is because they are trying to shore up the back up QB position with vet experience.
    Doesn't matter if they signed him to start, and I don't think that anyone disagrees with that. But that's not going to stop the fans from chanting for Orton after it becomes obvious that Manuel sucks and isn't improving nor ever will. It's going to be difficult to coach if after every offensive series fans start calling for the backup QB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    or r u too busy wheeling around Love Canal?
    I think that a number of people here shop regularly at the Love Canal organic farmers market.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You all want to support a QB that clearly has had his golden opportunity in the NFL and has already fallen on his face - instead of supporting the young guy that doesn't even have a full season under his hat and still has a lot to prove before ANYONE can determine he's a bust?

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Great fans we have here.

23. Post thanked by:

Gilly (08-30-2014),Meathead (08-30-2014),SquishDaFish (08-30-2014),Yasgur's Farm (08-30-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Life has been good to Orton.

In the past 4 years, he's only had to play in 13 games. Made money. DAL cut him, so he gets to keep several millions of signing cash.

Now he's here, with a team that seemingly will stick with Manuel come hell or high water.

You just can't beat clipboard cash.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    I agree. He's the type of player that can play the position and hold the team down. He's a quality back up. There's no disputing that. And as someone above mentioned he is a great vetern presence for EJ. However I just can't understand how some people can think that a guy can come in after cut down day and be ready to effectively play in week one.

I really like the move long term. Short term being the first quarter of the season, he doesn't help us at all I feel.
    Because you're used to watching Bills football, that's why.

Winning teams just win. And winning players just win.

We like to sit here and talk about how complicated football is... "guys need a whole offseason, OTAs, training camp, 4 years in the league, the same coach, coordinator, breakfast cereal, etc. AND THEN, when all that is in place, they need to scale everything back for the preseason, can't tip our hand too early, gotta save everything for Chicago. Sure, EJ hasn't thrown the ball well all preseason, but that's just because all of the aforementioned stars have not perfectly aligned themselves. It doesn't matter if other QBs have looked good, EJ is only a second year player. BUT ONCE THE SEASON STARTS, these issues are going to magically resolve themselves, and the Bills will start winning."

No.

Orton has a 35-35 record as a starter. That is better than any Bills QB since Kelly. Period. He can come in, win games, and do it immediately. He is the most talented QB we've had since Bledsoe.

Football is not a complicated sport. Learn the terminology, go out there and throw the ball around. I mean, have you ever met a professional football player? These guys aren't splitting the atom here.

Saying that Orton needs a month or two to "get up to speed" is like saying a new-hire at your job needs a month or two to "get up to speed" by reading the HR pamphlets on sexual harassment and PTO.

He WILL be the starter by week 4, possibly week 2 if EJ stinks it up in the opener, and allow me to be the first to say:

I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF HE STARTED AGAINST CHICAGO.

26. Post thanked by:

Thurmal (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think you are on with this. What might become apparent is Manual is taking a step backwards. That would not be abnormal and it won't put him in the bust category either. What will put him in the bust category is if he takes a step backwards and it gets into his head and turns him into a bust. That will be up to Manual.

But this is about the team as a whole. I like this move a lot. What it says to me is the staff is interested in winning...and before they made this move I was concerned they were more interested in Manual's success. There is a huge difference. Orton is a guy who should not even be in the league...but the reason is he brings game to the table and competes. He's no manning--his skill set is limited but he knows how to use what he has. We now have a QB on the roster who an opponent has to look at and understand he will beat them if they don't take him seriously. They actually got what they wanted I think ... because there is no QB controversy Orton is just now entering the locker room. If Manual can't start processing better in the first few weeks we will see Orton starting giving Manual a chance to step back and get his head together. Big time Wins all around for the Bills in signing Orton and it's the little victories that add up in an organization that eventually make the difference to translating onto the field. Way to go coach Marrone I know you have a staff of people there helping but you are making good decisions. Keep learning and moving forward please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Well, I don't think that too many people think that Orton is the difference between another 6-10 team and a playoff team. First of all they're not going to sit Manuel, but at some point this season, likely sooner than later, it's going to become blatant to the team that Manuel's a bust. They're less willing to throw the towel in than fans and media are, especially since when out goes Manuel so too out goes Whaley's future.

At the same time, I do think that it may be the difference between football that's worth watching or not worth watching. I mean seriously, how many of us are really looking forward with anticipation to watching Manuel hack up the field.

If you ask me, the reason why this or another strong backup QB move wasn't made earlier it is because the team didn't want a QB controversy, so they wanted more unknown type of QBs in there than one like Orton who the fans are going to be chanting for sometime during our first home game.
    Last edited by Typ0; 08-30-2014 at 07:09 AM.

28. Post thanked by:

Meathead (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post
    ...And this wasn't done 4 months ago why...?

-Bill
    Because the Bills live in a place called denial (not a river in Egypt), where an inexperienced crap OC can turn 3 inexperienced crap QBs into NFL ready QBs in a training camp. POP, that's the sound of their bubble bursting.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyE View Post
    You all want to support a QB that clearly has had his golden opportunity in the NFL and has already fallen on his face - instead of supporting the young guy that doesn't even have a full season under his hat and still has a lot to prove before ANYONE can determine he's a bust?

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Great fans we have here.
    really

irrational resistance. not just here tho, this is sort of a lesser human nature thing, and classic sports fan behavior. fortunately this is just about sports entertainment. Unfortunately ppl often do this with more important and impactful things like hyper partisan politics

kyle freakin orton. on the roster fifteen seconds. over a young athletic high pick you knew was going to take at least two seasons to develop and quite possibly could arrive any time

yeah no, makes perfect sense
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

31. Post thanked by:

RedEyE (09-02-2014)