• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Bills sign Kyle Orton

Life has been good to Orton.

In the past 4 years, he's only had to play in 13 games. Made money. DAL cut him, so he gets to keep several millions of signing cash.

Now he's here, with a team that seemingly will stick with Manuel come hell or high water.

You just can't beat clipboard cash.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Jry44 View Post
      I agree. He's the type of player that can play the position and hold the team down. He's a quality back up. There's no disputing that. And as someone above mentioned he is a great vetern presence for EJ. However I just can't understand how some people can think that a guy can come in after cut down day and be ready to effectively play in week one.

I really like the move long term. Short term being the first quarter of the season, he doesn't help us at all I feel.
      Because you're used to watching Bills football, that's why.

Winning teams just win. And winning players just win.

We like to sit here and talk about how complicated football is... "guys need a whole offseason, OTAs, training camp, 4 years in the league, the same coach, coordinator, breakfast cereal, etc. AND THEN, when all that is in place, they need to scale everything back for the preseason, can't tip our hand too early, gotta save everything for Chicago. Sure, EJ hasn't thrown the ball well all preseason, but that's just because all of the aforementioned stars have not perfectly aligned themselves. It doesn't matter if other QBs have looked good, EJ is only a second year player. BUT ONCE THE SEASON STARTS, these issues are going to magically resolve themselves, and the Bills will start winning."

No.

Orton has a 35-35 record as a starter. That is better than any Bills QB since Kelly. Period. He can come in, win games, and do it immediately. He is the most talented QB we've had since Bledsoe.

Football is not a complicated sport. Learn the terminology, go out there and throw the ball around. I mean, have you ever met a professional football player? These guys aren't splitting the atom here.

Saying that Orton needs a month or two to "get up to speed" is like saying a new-hire at your job needs a month or two to "get up to speed" by reading the HR pamphlets on sexual harassment and PTO.

He WILL be the starter by week 4, possibly week 2 if EJ stinks it up in the opener, and allow me to be the first to say:

I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF HE STARTED AGAINST CHICAGO.

Comment

• Typ0
        honey pie
        • Jul 2002

I don't think you are on with this. What might become apparent is Manual is taking a step backwards. That would not be abnormal and it won't put him in the bust category either. What will put him in the bust category is if he takes a step backwards and it gets into his head and turns him into a bust. That will be up to Manual.

But this is about the team as a whole. I like this move a lot. What it says to me is the staff is interested in winning...and before they made this move I was concerned they were more interested in Manual's success. There is a huge difference. Orton is a guy who should not even be in the league...but the reason is he brings game to the table and competes. He's no manning--his skill set is limited but he knows how to use what he has. We now have a QB on the roster who an opponent has to look at and understand he will beat them if they don't take him seriously. They actually got what they wanted I think ... because there is no QB controversy Orton is just now entering the locker room. If Manual can't start processing better in the first few weeks we will see Orton starting giving Manual a chance to step back and get his head together. Big time Wins all around for the Bills in signing Orton and it's the little victories that add up in an organization that eventually make the difference to translating onto the field. Way to go coach Marrone I know you have a staff of people there helping but you are making good decisions. Keep learning and moving forward please.

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
        Well, I don't think that too many people think that Orton is the difference between another 6-10 team and a playoff team. First of all they're not going to sit Manuel, but at some point this season, likely sooner than later, it's going to become blatant to the team that Manuel's a bust. They're less willing to throw the towel in than fans and media are, especially since when out goes Manuel so too out goes Whaley's future.

At the same time, I do think that it may be the difference between football that's worth watching or not worth watching. I mean seriously, how many of us are really looking forward with anticipation to watching Manuel hack up the field.

If you ask me, the reason why this or another strong backup QB move wasn't made earlier it is because the team didn't want a QB controversy, so they wanted more unknown type of QBs in there than one like Orton who the fans are going to be chanting for sometime during our first home game.
        Last edited by Typ0; 08-30-2014, 07:09 AM.

Comment

• sudzy
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by BLeonard View Post
          ...And this wasn't done 4 months ago why...?

-Bill
          Because the Bills live in a place called denial (not a river in Egypt), where an inexperienced crap OC can turn 3 inexperienced crap QBs into NFL ready QBs in a training camp. POP, that's the sound of their bubble bursting.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE View Post
            You all want to support a QB that clearly has had his golden opportunity in the NFL and has already fallen on his face - instead of supporting the young guy that doesn't even have a full season under his hat and still has a lot to prove before ANYONE can determine he's a bust?

That doesn't make a lick of sense. Great fans we have here.
            really

irrational resistance. not just here tho, this is sort of a lesser human nature thing, and classic sports fan behavior. fortunately this is just about sports entertainment. Unfortunately ppl often do this with more important and impactful things like hyper partisan politics

kyle freakin orton. on the roster fifteen seconds. over a young athletic high pick you knew was going to take at least two seasons to develop and quite possibly could arrive any time

yeah no, makes perfect sense
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              You're so much smarter than the rest of us.

maybe you could evaluate how race affects the position?

or r u too busy wheeling around Love Canal?
              thats the awesome thing about living in america - if you disagree with something ive said then you are perfectly welcome to blow me

Comment

• Meathead
                • Jul 2002

nice explanation typoh

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                  Zero for Zero!
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                  Best post in the thread.
                  Except for it being addressed already

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
                  Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 22m Two sources tell me Bills have been trying to sign Kyle Orton for months because Thad Lewis played so poorly in OTAs. Lewis never rallied.
                  Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
                    I don't think you are on with this. What might become apparent is Manual is taking a step backwards. That would not be abnormal and it won't put him in the bust category either. What will put him in the bust category is if he takes a step backwards and it gets into his head and turns him into a bust. That will be up to Manual.

But this is about the team as a whole. I like this move a lot. What it says to me is the staff is interested in winning...and before they made this move I was concerned they were more interested in Manual's success. There is a huge difference. Orton is a guy who should not even be in the league...but the reason is he brings game to the table and competes. He's no manning--his skill set is limited but he knows how to use what he has. We now have a QB on the roster who an opponent has to look at and understand he will beat them if they don't take him seriously. They actually got what they wanted I think ... because there is no QB controversy Orton is just now entering the locker room. If Manual can't start processing better in the first few weeks we will see Orton starting giving Manual a chance to step back and get his head together. Big time Wins all around for the Bills in signing Orton and it's the little victories that add up in an organization that eventually make the difference to translating onto the field. Way to go coach Marrone I know you have a staff of people there helping but you are making good decisions. Keep learning and moving forward please.
                    I can buy into with most of what you're saying here. I do disagree with your point about Manuel's regressions. What I see is a young player without the training wheels. No more basic plays, full playbook. This isnt something any player can just walk into and immediately succeed. Last year Manuel was still operating at a college level going through basic progressions. The offense is opening up more to him this year and it will be his failures now that can later lead to second opportunities. I give the kid the season before kicking him out the door.
                    Last edited by RedEyE; 08-30-2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

I always saw Orton as a Jeff Hostetler type who could be a decent game manager with a good defense backing him up, which is why I see him fitting inhere.

I hope I'm wrong, but I see him starting by week 7.

Comment

• Jry44
                        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        Panic. I don't think Jordan Palmer is all that, but signing, playing, and cutting within 4 days or so was kind of silly.

Maybe it says something about where I am as a fan and what I presently think about the QB position, but I'm feeling a stable journeyman QB might be able to step in and give the same results in week one as we might get from the poorly groomed project guy, without having a clue. I might be real wrong about Manuel and Orton both, but it feels, to me, like a good time to panic and hope for least worse if it comes to that.

I just don't think there's a better least worse than Orton, and signing him makes me feel better. He's the best least worse we've had in a decade, and he agreed to be the best least worse here !

I admit my expectations are low.

What is there to panic about? It's not like this team is in danger of slipping from the ranks of a playoff contender. I would probably panic if this team was a playoff threat with chances of winning the division. But since we're not, I feel like there is nothing to panic over. The only way we can go is upwards at this point.

Again, I agree that it is nice to have a journeyman QB that can at the very least manage a game for you is a nice luxury to have, but I don't think he's going to be much better than what EJ Manual will give is in the short term. Expecting that would be like me walking into a new job tomorrow and being expected to perform at the level I do my current job with on the very first day without knowing rules or how the company operates. I agree that Jordan Palmer wasn't the kind of signing we needed; and you could see him being released coming from a mile away. However there are reports that the Bills have been after Orton since he was released from the Cowboys just before training camp. Also too with Orton.... lets not forget that he was benched for Tim Tebow at one time....

Comment

• Thurmal
                          • Oct 2005

I'm tired of hearing about EJ's development and how he the light is supposedly going to come on for him. He is a guy who has been playing QB at a high level for years and still cannot throw an accurate pass. That isn't teachable.

The hell with giving him a season to "figure it out." Fourteen years without a playoff birth; I'm not stoked about guaranteeing a 15th for the 4% chance Manuel actually turns out well. Give Manuel Week One and, when he is awful and the Bills get their asses kicked, start Orton for the home opener.
                          "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Turf
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post

We like to sit here and talk about how complicated football is... "guys need a whole offseason, OTAs, training camp, 4 years in the league, the same coach, coordinator, breakfast cereal, etc. AND THEN, when all that is in place, they need to scale everything back for the preseason, can't tip our hand too early, gotta save everything for Chicago. Sure, EJ hasn't thrown the ball well all preseason, but that's just because all of the aforementioned stars have not perfectly aligned themselves. It doesn't matter if other QBs have looked good, EJ is only a second year player. BUT ONCE THE SEASON STARTS, these issues are going to magically resolve themselves, and the Bills will start winning."

No.

Orton has a 35-35 record as a starter. That is better than any Bills QB since Kelly. Period. He can come in, win games, and do it immediately. He is the most talented QB we've had since Bledsoe.

Football is not a complicated sport. Learn the terminology, go out there and throw the ball around. I mean, have you ever met a professional football player? These guys aren't splitting the atom here.

Saying that Orton needs a month or two to "get up to speed" is like saying a new-hire at your job needs a month or two to "get up to speed" by reading the HR pamphlets on sexual harassment and PTO.

He WILL be the starter by week 4, possibly week 2 if EJ stinks it up in the opener, and allow me to be the first to say:

Certainly an entertaining post Johnny, but we all know he isn't starting against Chicago. And if EJ goes down, I won't say when EJ goes down, he's probably a better short term option.
                            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Jry44
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by JohnnyGold View Post

No.

This whole, entire thing couldn't possibly be more wrong.

This guy was beaten out by TIM TEBOW!

There is just no way to realistically expect a guy to come in a grasp the entire playbook and be comfortable enough with his receivers in ONE WEEK to the point to where he will be comfortable in not only playing, but playing at a decent level. Week one?? REALLY??? Prepare to be surprised, because the only way that happens is if EJ slips on the Kevin Kolb mat and hurts his knee again.

Comment

• Jry44
                                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                                Because the Bills live in a place called denial (not a river in Egypt), where an inexperienced crap OC can turn 3 inexperienced crap QBs into NFL ready QBs in a training camp. POP, that's the sound of their bubble bursting.

Or, it's because Kyle Orton was under contract with another team....

But that couldn't possibly be why this move wasn't made 4 months ago now, could it?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍