Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Front Office

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: New Front Office

I would say Eric Decosta as GM but he signed a contract extension with the Ravens that pays him well and is suppose to be Ozzie Newsomes heir apparent so that is a pipe dream

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-31-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Still like the Watkins pick, not sure if giving up next years 1 was a prudent choice, but Watkins is the type of talent you can build an offense around if you have a good QB. Problem is gonna be finding that good QB because it's not happening this year, nor is it happening next year barring another huge trade.
    Thing is, so was Spiller though.

I dunno, fantasyland, Marty Schottenheimer as GM ? He came through this last preseason to visit, has some ties, no enmity, Chuck Knoxed as a head coach but seems to have a feel for personnel. Still fantasyland...well, how about Sean McDermott/Vic Fangio or Greg Roman (defense or offensive minded)......since it's fantasyland, they pick their related coordinator who knows their way, and then, since it's fantasyland, you get either Wade Phillips (sweeten it with an assistant HC title for defense) if it's Roman, or roll the dice on Hostler (offensive assistant Buffalo), ex TB'er Mike Sullivan (1 good year, 1 bad, lot of injuries).

Darrell Bevell (OC Seattle), Dan Quinn (DC Seattle) for HC. Other GM candidates Greg Gabriel, Eric DeCosta (Baltimore agm).....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    I would say Eric Decosta as GM but he signed a contract extension with the Ravens that pays him well and is suppose to be Ozzie Newsomes heir apparent so that is a pipe dream
    Might not be if say, a Pegula throws money at him and he'd feeling impatient.

5. Post thanked by:

Ginger Vitis (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Thing is, so was Spiller though.

I dunno, fantasyland, Marty Schottenheimer as GM ? He came through this last preseason to visit, has some ties, no enmity, Chuck Knoxed as a head coach but seems to have a feel for personnel. Still fantasyland...well, how about Sean McDermott/Vic Fangio or Greg Roman (defense or offensive minded)......since it's fantasyland, they pick their related coordinator who knows their way, and then, since it's fantasyland, you get either Wade Phillips (sweeten it with an assistant HC title for defense) if it's Roman, or roll the dice on Hostler (offensive assistant Buffalo), ex TB'er Mike Sullivan (1 good year, 1 bad, lot of injuries).

Darrell Bevell (OC Seattle), Dan Quinn (DC Seattle) for HC. Other GM candidates Greg Gabriel, Eric DeCosta (Baltimore agm).....
    The Spiller thing was just stupidity. They wasted a high pick on a RB who had the ceiling of Eric Metcalf in a league that's now more geared towards passing than running.

They shoulda picked Dez Bryant back then and then maybe they wouldn't have had to throw around extra picks to get Watkins.

Still won't hate on the Watkins pick, he'll be productive here even after EJ is gone, unsure if I like how much was given up to get him with how unsettled the QB position is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Still won't hate on the Watkins pick, he'll be productive here even after EJ is gone, unsure if I like how much was given up to get him with how unsettled the QB position is.
    Agreed. I think great QBs make average WRs look really good, but I don't think it works the other way around as much. Sure, if the WR absolutely stinks and can't get separation then it doesn't matter if you have Manning/Brady/etc., but a great QB can read a defense like a book and makes them skittish, which then opens things up. A great WR can be open all day but if the QB is clueless, it won't matter. He won't make the throw, take too long, get sacked, etc., etc.

So I guess I stated the obvious.... without a great to elite QB, you're going nowhere.* Which is why I'm hoping the new FO is savvy enough to bundle up the right combinations next year (trades/drafts) and get on track to finding that QB after an 18 year post-Kelly failure.

* other than the 1% exceptions like Trent Dilfer.
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 09-01-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Spiller thing was just stupidity. They wasted a high pick on a RB who had the ceiling of Eric Metcalf in a league that's now more geared towards passing than running.

They shoulda picked Dez Bryant back then and then maybe they wouldn't have had to throw around extra picks to get Watkins.

Well, the Spiller pick, I didn't like, but not because I don't like Spiller. If you ever notice, when they move him around, then throw him out wide, it's an instant mismatch and he cannot be covered, and is invariably running around by himself, looking around and waving his hand almost shyly, like "I'm not covered, I don't think I'm covered, I sure don't feel covered....", he's an option the play never gets to. Instead though, they run repeatedly into or around the line.

We just never grasped how to use him. Was a mistake we took him, but I really firmly believe someone else can and will to make us look stupid.

I don't know that Watkins, again a great talent, will be productive here after EJ. If he gets nailed one too many times, or injured on a throw his QB cannot make, we all collectively facepalm. I can honestly see it happening, not because of negativism, but because he's going to be watching for a ball he can't catch when someone large lowers their shoulder, or he's gonna try for a ball he means to catch that he can't, and one knee is going to keep going in the other direction.

I do not want this to happen. But with the available receivers, Watkins was the frosting on a cake that has not been baked yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins was the frosting on a cake that has not been baked yet.
    Look at Mace, waxing poetic over here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cynical View Post
    I doubt they will be able to get a high calibre guy since no one wants to go to B'lo
    I don't think that it's because "nobody wants to go to Buffalo"...

I think it's because, nobody worth a damn wanted to be constricted by the ex-owner's imposed limitations, which included having the former Florida Marlins marketing guy as your COO and people such as Jeff Littman and Jim Overdorf in the front office as well.

If a new owner comes in and removes those people and replaces them with real football people, as opposed to maximizing profits as the #1 priority, my guess is, the Head Coaching job becomes much more attractive.

As I've said in other threads, if Pegula is the next owner, if nothing else, we'll likely never have to hear the term "cash to the cap" again. I'd also about guarantee we'd never hear the phrase "Bills Toronto Series" ever again. Those two things alone would make the Bills HC job more attractive, IMO.

In short, it isn't the job that is unattractive... It's all of the extra junk, like dealing with Brandon, Overdorf and Littman, on top of having to make decisions based on maximizing profits, instead of improving the on-field product.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 09-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Look at Mace, waxing poetic over here.
    Watkins was the breeze blowing through a glade when I listened to the wind,
    Yet upon him, a darkened shade, failing to see the sheltered wood which offered him mrinned.

When I do poetry Mister, I do poetry.

12. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (09-01-2014),feldspar (09-01-2014),Mr. Cynical (09-02-2014),Night Train (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watkins was the breeze blowing through a glade when I listened to the wind,
    Yet upon him, a darkened shade, failing to see the sheltered wood which offered him mrinned.

When I do poetry Mister, I do poetry.
    LOL.

Great stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Polian

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,271 Times in 15,426 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, the Spiller pick, I didn't like, but not because I don't like Spiller. If you ever notice, when they move him around, then throw him out wide, it's an instant mismatch and he cannot be covered, and is invariably running around by himself, looking around and waving his hand almost shyly, like "I'm not covered, I don't think I'm covered, I sure don't feel covered....", he's an option the play never gets to. Instead though, they run repeatedly into or around the line.

We just never grasped how to use him. Was a mistake we took him, but I really firmly believe someone else can and will to make us look stupid.

The Spiller scenario bears a striking resemblance to the drafting of OJ in 1969. The coach at the time used him incorrectly, lining him up at WR....the line stunk, getting him hurt.

It just feels like...seen this movie before.

16. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-04-2014)