Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Front Office

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

New Front Office

May as well start this now.

Who do you want to see for the new GM/HC when this current circus is fired at the end of the season?

If you were the new owner, would you go with an NFL retread or college experiment?

I doubt they will be able to get a high calibre guy since no one wants to go to B'lo (we all remember the embarrassment before Marrone was hired) However that may change if the new owner can convince him that he is deadly serious about building a contender, and of course offers insane amounts of cash. I'm just not sure who is out there that would be that guy.

We're seeing first hand how a college guy can fail miserably. But, there are some success stories as well in the league. Any college coaches you'd like to see?

Some may say I'm giving up too soon but I'm just being a realist. They've gone through 6 coaches and 5 GMs in the 16 years since Levy retired. There's absolutely no reason next season will be any different, given what we've seen to this point. Maybe a new owner will have the ability to get the right FO in place to get the team back to being a contender. That's my hope, anyway.
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 08-30-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: New Front Office

go jump into the lake...

“A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness,"

3. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (08-30-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cynical View Post
    May as well start this now.

Who do you want to see for the new GM/HC when this current circus is fired at the end of the season?

If you were the new owner, would you go with an NFL retread or college experiment?

I doubt they will be able to get a high calibre guy since no one wants to go to B'lo (we all remember the embarrassment before Marrone was hired) However that may change if the new owner can convince him that he is deadly serious about building a contender, and of course offers insane amounts of cash. I'm just not sure who is out there that would be that guy.

We're seeing first hand how a college guy can fail miserably. But, there are some success stories as well in the league. Any college coaches you'd like to see?

Some may say I'm giving up too soon but I'm just being a realist. They've gone through 6 coaches and 5 GMs in the 16 years since Levy retired. There's absolutely no reason next season will be any different, given what we've seen to this point. Maybe a new owner will have the ability to get the right FO in place to get the team back to being a contender. That's my hope, anyway.
    They will be elbowing each other, tripping ankles and so on to get jobs with a new organization. The guild called the NFL has only 32 outlet stores. What we now call networking was called cronyism and nepotism in years past.

The new owner will bring in his extended buddy network. Will they be good football men? Who knows?
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-30-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    The new owner will bring in his extended buddy network. Will they be good football men? Who knows
    Fair point....likely the GM will be the buddy, then the HC will be the GM's buddy... So, to your point, let's hope the new owner is buddies with a good GM.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When the dust settles, I want the following

1) A proven winner in the NFL as an HC
    2) A proven talent analyst as GM
    3) An owner with an open checkbook, and the tenacity to sign the players we need

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Fair point....likely the GM will be the buddy, then the HC will be the GM's buddy... So, to your point, let's hope the new owner is buddies with a good GM.
    Indeed. The worries are manifest. Will a purchase be by someone looking for a comfortable cash cow? Purchased by a fellow of means for reasons assuaging his ego?

I personally feel that the NFL survives today because of an unholy alliance with the tv business.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Malzahn, Harbaugh...

Hey, a guy can dream right?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Indeed. The worries are manifest. Will a purchase be by someone looking for a comfortable cash cow? Purchased by a fellow of means for reasons assuaging his ego?

I personally feel that the NFL survives today because of an unholy alliance with the tv business.
    True...so the question I have is, does it really matter if your team wins? Meaning, given the revenue sharing, does a winning team make more money than a loser? Did Dallas make more money when it was winning SBs vs not making the playoffs? I'd assume that the more crap you sell (jerseys, hats, etc) the more you make, but I don't know if that is shared as well. Do you make more if your team is on national TV more often? Again, I think it's shared but could be wrong. I'm reasonably sure stadium concessions don't get shared but don't know for sure. So net net, what revenue is specifically tied to the team's performance? If it's marginal, then unfortunately we could end up with a status quo owner milking the NFL cash cow. Really hope that's not the case...
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 08-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

True...so the question I have is, does it really matter if your team wins? Meaning, given the revenue sharing, does a winning team make more money than a loser? Did Dallas make more money when it was winning SBs vs not making the playoffs? I'd assume that the more crap you sell (jerseys, hats, etc) the more you make, but I don't know if that is shared as well. Do you make more if your team is on national TV more often? Again, I think it's shared but could be wrong. So net net, what revenue is specifically tied to the team's performance? If it's marginal, then unfortunately we could end up with a status quo owner milking the NFL cash cow. Really hope that's not the case...
    The trinket $ goes to the licensing team.

Winning sells more trinkets, long years of national exposure sells more trinkets - folks in Iowa are more likely to buy Dallas trash than Buffalo or Cincinnati trash. The whole idea of such is fascinating marketing - who would spend $ for a General Motors mug or a Citibank jersey?

As far as I know, there's nothing that would force a club to straighten up their act. Not these days, anyway.

I do recall other owners taking B'gals owner Brown to the woodshed in the '90's for being a drag on the overall league image and profit picture, making him modify his blatant skinflint ways. I remember reading about former 1st rnd pick Ki-Jana Carter (what a shame about his injuries..he really would have been something) bringing in towels and soap into camp because they weren't provided.

To answer your first sentence - I don't think it matters anymore. You need an owner who wants to win. Folks like to bang on the 'Skins owner Snyder and all his goofy moves. I find him just rolling the dice to get a winner because he can afford to do so.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 08-30-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Pegula gets the team things will get real ... if he doesn't there will be no changes.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm OK with the approach this front office has taken and many of the moves they've made, although admittedly some are real head-scratchers and they certainly aren't perfect. I'm also willing to give Marrone this season, at least, to see if he can build something positive instead of continuing the status quo of sucking. One thing this organization hasn't had in 15 seasons is continuity...that's important, and takes more than a couple of seasons to establish and build on.

That being said, I'll play along just for the sake of the game...If the defense performs up to, or surpasses, expectations and the offense fails to improve I'd be OK with elevating Schwartz to the HC job. Far more important than that, and something that I would insist on if I were owner, would be the hiring of experienced and established coordinators for all three phases of the game. If Schwartz wasn't an option, I'd prefer somebody with experience elsewhere (Wisenhunt, Kubiak, Munchak etc) but definitely not anybody that has already won a title and/or has a huge ego (Shanahan, Cowher...) I want somebody that is still hungry and has something to prove, not a 'name' guy that is cashing in on previous success and as history has shown almost zero chance to repeat it elsewhere.

For GM, bring in a guy that has had success elsewhere as the #2, like Eric DeCosta or Joel Patten.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

13. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Go Whiz on a electric fence.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I'm OK with the approach this front office has taken and many of the moves they've made, although admittedly some are real head-scratchers and they certainly aren't perfect. I'm also willing to give Marrone this season, at least, to see if he can build something positive instead of continuing the status quo of sucking. One thing this organization hasn't had in 15 seasons is continuity...that's important, and takes more than a couple of seasons to establish and build on.

That being said, I'll play along just for the sake of the game...If the defense performs up to, or surpasses, expectations and the offense fails to improve I'd be OK with elevating Schwartz to the HC job. Far more important than that, and something that I would insist on if I were owner, would be the hiring of experienced and established coordinators for all three phases of the game. If Schwartz wasn't an option, I'd prefer somebody with experience elsewhere (Wisenhunt, Kubiak, Munchak etc) but definitely not anybody that has already won a title and/or has a huge ego (Shanahan, Cowher...) I want somebody that is still hungry and has something to prove, not a 'name' guy that is cashing in on previous success and as history has shown almost zero chance to repeat it elsewhere.

For GM, bring in a guy that has had success elsewhere as the #2, like Eric DeCosta or Joel Patten.
    While I'm not ready to toss aside Whaley and Marrone would you accept Floyd Reese and Jim Schwartz? As Reese used to be the top guy with the Titans but recently is in a secondary role with the Patriots.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,853 Times in 3,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

HC: Wade Phillips
    OC: Chan Gailey
    DC: Dick Jauron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They ignored the QB position all offseason, then a week before the season starts they realize how ****ing dumb they were, grab a bag full of money and throw $5m this season at Kyle Orton.

No strategy in place to build a winner, just a desperate attempt to try and secure a playoff spot (HAHAHAHA) so they can point to that as success for the new owner. Meanwhile the team will be worse off in 2015 than they are in 2014 as hard as that it is to believe.

Hilariously bad. Makes me yearn for the days of Donahoe.

Franchise is at rock bottom, they're the worst team in football top to bottom. Not the worst talent, but the worst run and coached team.

18. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    They ignored the QB position all offseason, then a week before the season starts they realize how ****ing dumb they were, grab a bag full of money and throw $5m this season at Kyle Orton.

No strategy in place to build a winner, just a desperate attempt to try and secure a playoff spot (HAHAHAHA) so they can point to that as success for the new owner. Meanwhile the team will be worse off in 2015 than they are in 2014 as hard as that it is to believe.

Hilariously bad. Makes me yearn for the days of Donahoe.

Franchise is at rock bottom, they're the worst team in football top to bottom. Not the worst talent, but the worst run and coached team.
    If I were to tell you going into the draft that our QBs would be EJ and Orton in Week 1 would you want us to draft a QB? If so please tell me what rookie QB that was drafted after round 3 do you think would improve this roster and be worth keeping?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wouldn't have drafted EJ to begin with. I'm not delusional, and actually watched him play at FSU.

Why wait until the third round to draft one? We spent two picks on one WR? Why not spend two firsts on two QBs and let them compete?

EJ wasn't first round talent, desperate move by a desperate regime. Enjoy 4-12 this year. Thank god, we now have the 1-2 punch of Kyle Orton and EJ.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    I wouldn't have drafted EJ to begin with. I'm not delusional, and actually watched him play at FSU.

Why wait until the third round to draft one? We spent two picks on one WR? Why not spend two firsts on two QBs and let them compete?

EJ wasn't first round talent, desperate move by a desperate regime. Enjoy 4-12 this year. Thank god, we now have the 1-2 punch of Kyle Orton and EJ.
    I wasn't 100% on board with the Watkins trade and I felt selecting EJ at pick 16 was a reach too. Yet I think this team is giving EJ enough rope to either kill himself or save himself and the franchise. Let me ask you this, if somehow Fred Jackson and Andrew Dixon were able to cross the goal line in their goal line failures this preseason would most us saying EJ and the offense have been horrible this preseason? I doubt it. Yes there be some concern but I doubt people would be so quick to deem EJ and this offense as a failure.

22. Post thanked by:

YardRat (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Still like the Watkins pick, not sure if giving up next years 1 was a prudent choice, but Watkins is the type of talent you can build an offense around if you have a good QB. Problem is gonna be finding that good QB because it's not happening this year, nor is it happening next year barring another huge trade.

24. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not even going to question the EJ draft to be honest. There are no guarantees with the draft, especially QBs (so many busts, so few elites) HOWEVER, it's how you handle the team after you've drafted the guy and make the necessary adjustments. They have had EJ for over a year now so they know what they know. They also had Tuel and Lewis last year as well. To go into this offseason thinking they had what they needed is either pure ego or pure dumb, and I'm leaning towards the latter.

Now, I'm not a football expert and the assumption is they know a ton more since that is their job. Fair enough. But when you dump both Tuel and Lewis a week or two before the opening game, and then bring in a Palmer for 3 days, dump him, and then grab Orton at the last minute? There is no way anyone is going to convince me that they know what they are doing. This was a desperate hail mary and a sign of disorganization, lack of insight, and quite frankly a lack of leadership and talent.

So while I don't believe in EJ, I'm not blaming them for taking a shot. I blame them for not reacting in the ways a good front office does when a mistake (well, several mistakes) is made. I don't follow college ball to recommend any for consideration but I think I've had enough of that experiment to be honest. I'd like to see someone bring the following:

Commitment
    Passion
    Knowledge
    Respect

They don't need a "new genius" or whatever. Maybe for the next regime. Right now I think they need those four things from the GM/HC so that the team can gel, get its feet planted, and grow into a respectable organization that we haven't seen since the Polian/Levy days.