Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Orton is getting $5 Million this year, yeah he's a back-up QB

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Orton is getting $5 Million this year, yeah he's a back-up QB

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Yeah, how dare I make the assumption that our FO is capable of evaluating talent and realizing that we had crap for backup QB. So baseless to assume competence....
    Way to rationalize your unwavering negativity and project everything that happens onto it, even if it's blindly.

Obviously, the front office had their misgivings about the QB position and were trying to do something about it, and they eventually DID do something about it when they were able.

So the question remains...who SHOULD they have have gotten as backup QB, and WHEN should they have gotten him? The answer remains...you have no freakin' idea. So you have really no foundation nor frame of reference whatsoever and blindly lash out at the front office about everything. Not everything that goes wrong is due to incompetence in what is an inexact science. You just take the safe route, say that they are incompetent, and then pretend that you know what you are talking about...even though you didn't even really say anything based on what you know.

I'm not saying that this is a great front office, but you are partaking in lazy thinking. We are talking about Kyle Orton here. The Bills actually did a good job of finally landing him, ask me. I don't care what happened in 2006 or whenever. Orton is a quality backup...they went after him and got him. They get props from me for that, regardless of when it happened.
    Last edited by feldspar; 08-31-2014 at 06:53 PM.

2. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

^I could catch this one with a bare hook
    Oh no!...We suck again!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsOverDolphins View Post
    ^I could catch this one with a bare hook
    You couldn't get laid in a whore-house.

5. Post thanked by:

better days (10-02-2014),YardRat (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 987 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsOverDolphins View Post
    lolwut? You clearly said infected--you should at least have the decency to cop to your mistake or admit to how funny it was, given the context of our conversation. Could you do me a solid (nh) and not be such a puss? I dind't say he was worse than ALS, cancer, or any other disease that predominantly normal people get.
    Keep trying to twist your ignorance to make it look like I did something wrong. If you can't see how messed up what you have there is, than there's really no hope for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,698 Times in 7,758 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Personally I don't care what you believe, I've been tearing into our QB choices for years now. All of sudden it just became important to the team, you can verify that easy enough. I can only say that I have an athletic past & EJ is not balanced when he throws. The other guys we had were chopped liver compared to EJ, shouldn't of never even saw the field.

Orton is the best QB today the Bills have. I want to win now & draft a project QB next year, Orton can hold us over.
    That gives you the "expert" mantle?

Orton sucks. If the Bills start him anytime this year, if EJ is not hurt, then you can kiss your "win now" dream.

Either way, this team is not going t get close to the playoffs. Thinking Orton is the answer is foolish.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    That gives you the "expert" mantle?

If the Bills start him anytime this year, if EJ is not hurt, then you can kiss your "win now" dream.
    I'm glad you agree with me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kishoph View Post
    Keep trying to twist your ignorance to make it look like I did something wrong. If you can't see how messed up what you have there is, than there's really no hope for you.
    Look brah this is obviously an emotional subject for you...i'm sorry you lost so many friends in the 80's.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hmmmmmmmmm. Should I follow anonymous posters that, most likely, have not ever gotten closer to Manuel than the stands....or give the situation a little more time to develop this year, like not just exhibition games.

Gee...that's tough...internet blowhards, or professional NFL coaches and players. Oh, dear, I just don't know who to believe!
    LOL cuz the people who are getting paid to do the job have done such a fine job in the recent past for you to blindly follow them.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,300 Times in 13,730 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Way to rationalize your unwavering negativity and project everything that happens onto it, even if it's blindly.

Obviously, the front office had their misgivings about the QB position and were trying to do something about it, and they eventually DID do something about it when they were able.

So the question remains...who SHOULD they have have gotten as backup QB, and WHEN should they have gotten him? The answer remains...you have no freakin' idea. So you have really no foundation nor frame of reference whatsoever and blindly lash out at the front office about everything. Not everything that goes wrong is due to incompetence in what is an inexact science. You just take the safe route, say that they are incompetent, and then pretend that you know what you are talking about...even though you didn't even really say anything based on what you know.

I'm not saying that this is a great front office, but you are partaking in lazy thinking. We are talking about Kyle Orton here. The Bills actually did a good job of finally landing him, ask me. I don't care what happened in 2006 or whenever. Orton is a quality backup...they went after him and got him. They get props from me for that, regardless of when it happened.
    Who should they have gotten and when they should have gotten him? Fair question.

But why are you asking me instead of the people who get paid millions to figure it out?

And as far as getting Orton: when it happens is crucial because he has 9 days to learn the playbook.

If EJ gets hurt early, the FO's lack of ability to find a viable back-up sooner cost us a victory. And he's injury-prone and playing behind an OL that has struggled, so there is a fair chance that it will happen.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 08-31-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Who should they have gotten and when they should have gotten him? Fair question.

But why are you asking me instead of the people who get paid millions to figure it out?
    I'm asking you because you suggested in a previous post in this thread that the Bills not having a viable backup in camp was a reflection of "organizational dysfunction at an absurd level."

Did you not basically say this? What do you have to back up this statement, as you are always prone to ask this question when people show optimism for a rookie and so forth? "We have no reason to believe this" is pretty much the gist of a lot of what you say, no?

Perhaps the "people that are paid millions" should have found a franchise quarterback in the 2013 draft, too...magically. Was there one? What you are doing here is projecting the same kind of magical thinking that you constantly admonish others for applying. Only you project it negatively as a knee-jerk reaction without any facts...that's something you frown upon, isn't it? But YOU are doing it here.

That's why I'm asking you.

And as far as getting Orton: when it happens is crucial because he has 9 days to learn the playbook.

If EJ gets hurt early, the FO's lack of ability to find a viable back-up sooner cost us a victory. And he's injury-prone and playing behind an OL that has struggled, so there is a fair chance that it will happen.
    It's less than ideal bringing in Orton so late, but we have one of the better backups in the league right now. And as I said in another thread, Orton came into Kansas City in 2011, and three-and-a-half weeks later he started. The Chiefs beat the Packers (who were on a 19-game winning streak at the time) in his first start. He started the last three games of the season where the Chiefs went 2-1, the only loss coming in overtime.

The guy has been around, and can pick up the system in short order IMO. He's done it before. A good defense and a good running game...if we have a guy that can manage the game and establish a tempo, be fairly accurate in the short-to-intermediate passes, be able to better read defenses and be smart, we can win some games. This team doesn't need a superstar at QB to win some games.

Me? I think that the Bills haven't done enough to seek out a quality starting quarterback, either. Quality QB play is the only thing this team is lacking to contend IMO...it happens to be the most important thing to most any team. I wanted to draft any number of guys that are now doing pretty well. Gotta keep trying until you get your man at any rate. But things being as they now stand, bringing in Orton was a hell of a smart move.

And EJ Manuel is the starter regardless...at least for now. See what happens. There will be a lot more to talk about next week at this time. The odds are against EJ getting hurt in the first couple of games.
    Last edited by feldspar; 08-31-2014 at 11:47 PM.

13. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 18,367 Times in 8,980 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I sincerely hope that Manuel proves all the blow hards terribly wrong. It will be great to serve you jerks up some fresh crow to choke on.
    Everyone wants EJ to play well -- because if he does -- the Bills are more likely to win games. Which means we all win.

Some fans are just more skeptical than others about the probability of that happening.

Any why not?

We can only work with the body of evidence that we have. EJ's lack of progress this summer is a legitimate reason for concern.

If EJ lights it up, fantastic. That's what we've been waiting for.

If EJ flops, don't take it too personally if all the people you just called "jerks" and "blowhards" turn the tables and respond... unpleasantly... toward you.

Fortunately, EJ is in a good position. He has playmakers at RB/WR and an opportunistic defense backing him up.

I want EJ to do well because I want us to end our miserable 14 year playoff drought, not because I'm primarily focused on "sticking it to the jerks and the blowhards."

But maybe I have my priorities out of whack.
    Last edited by JoeMama; 09-01-2014 at 12:08 AM.

15. Post thanked by:

feldspar (09-01-2014),Historian (09-01-2014),Mr. Pink (09-01-2014),notacon (09-01-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    LOL cuz the people who are getting paid to do the job have done such a fine job in the recent past for you to blindly follow them.
    Huh?

Uhhhhh....no. All I am pointing out is that the anonymous "experts" on a fan bulletin board are the least qualified people to listen too. In my experience, the biggest blowhards who put forth unequivocal pronouncements about the future performance of young QB's are usually the ones who know the least, and are wrong most of the time.

I have been screaming about the inept QB selection and development skills of the Bills for several decades. Sorry, but I, nor anyone else has any idea of what is going to happen this year.

What I DO know is that Orton sucks and if the Bills have to rely on his sorry ass the Bills will be losing for many more hers to come.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    Everyone wants EJ to play well -- because if he does -- the Bills are more likely to win games. Which means we all win.

Some fans are just more skeptical than others about the probability of that happening.

Any why not?

We can only work with the body of evidence that we have. EJ's lack of progress this summer is a legitimate reason for concern.

If EJ lights it up, fantastic. That's what we've been waiting for.

If EJ flops, don't take it too personally if all the people you just called "jerks" and "blowhards" turn the tables and respond... unpleasantly... toward you.

Fortunately, EJ is in a good position. He has playmakers at RB/WR and an opportunistic defense backing him up.

I want EJ to do well because I want us to end our miserable 14 year playoff drought, not because I'm primarily focused on "sticking it to the jerks and the blowhards."

But maybe I have my priorities out of whack.
    I agree with everything you say...except..."Everyone wants EJ to play well". There are always a few blowhards who proclaim to be able to see the future and exactly what is going to happen.

I love that scene in Moneyball when Bean is about to fire the head scout. "The truth is that no one knows" (if a young player is going to make it)

This has always been true, and it always will be true. Busts abound...surprises are many. There will always be second and third round stars. We are remind of that every time a Russell Wilson comes around.

I just get disappointed when the time allowed to determine a bust gets shorter and shorter. What, are we going to judge and tar and feather a guy after a few games next??

It's counterproductive and silly.

I agree that "I want EJ to do well because I want us to end our miserable 14 year playoff drought, not because I'm primarily focused on "sticking it to the jerks and the blowhards."...the "sticking it to the jerks and the blowhards" is just the cherry on top.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh...and for the record. I hated the Manuel pick last year. They could have traded down and gotten him probably in the second round, or, better yet, drafted Smith (they probably could have traded down and gotten Smith too). The Bills have a long history of screwing up drafting QB's that has gone on for 50 years. And..no...the Jim Kelly pick was not all that wonderful when you consider that he was not even their fist pick that year.

I also think that this year's overpaying for Sammy Watkins was stupid beyond measure.

Does not mean that I don't think they can both do well. The truth is that I, nor anyone else, has any idea either way. Those that proclaim that they KNOW, are blowhards.

Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom Homegrown's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Skooby = Nostradamus ....

20. Post thanked by:

Skooby (10-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We barely made it out of the first quarter of the season, LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegrown View Post
    Skooby = Nostradamus ....

22. Post thanked by:

Homegrown (10-02-2014)