Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Merk Has been Channeling My Thoughts Re: the Orton Signing.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,637 Times in 7,706 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Merk Has been Channeling My Thoughts Re: the Orton Signing.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    He's right on as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.profootballwarroom.com/

Marrone and Whaley have been around long enough in this league to know what they saw unfolding in front of them through 5 preseason games was unsettling at best. They saw a first team offense they couldn’t score a single TD despite numerous talented skill position players. They also saw a QB making dangerous throws to those skill players putting them in a position to get injured

The fans also saw the same thing and as can be expected the excuses started flowing as they did for Losman, Bledsoe, and Johnson before him. It’s Hackett, it’s the OL, it’s the preseason so its vanilla. Problem was it is none of those things as it hasn’t been in the past. No the problem is EJ Manuel. He has shown no progress from last year to this year and it could actually be argued that he has regressed. He is having trouble executing a vanilla scheme and playbook compounded with an inability to read defenses topped off with erratic at best accuracy. These issues go beyond the preseason and are not all of a sudden going to be cured when the regular season begins and the speed and pressure in the games gets maxed out times 100.

They can talk all they want about how concerned they were about the back up position...but a single TD drive in 5 games for the offense is the real concern.

Orton was brought in to be as much of a relief pitcher as he was a back up.

You can talk all you want about the hope of the light going on for EJ, but how long do you let him drag down and offense the team?

If he continues to play like he did in preseason, expect the change no later than the bye week.

IF EJ gets over his internal doubts and just plays read and shoot..without as much thinking...he can improve his stock tremendously. If not, he's heading right into Edwardsville. Its up to him.
    This is very bad news.

Orton sucks. He has always sucked, and he always will suck.

If he gets the starting position this year, the Bills are really, really screwed. They will be searching for another three or four years for a QB solution.

Orton is not it.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,473 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by pmoon6 View Post
    It's too bad that we can't take a QB, even high, and let him develop without the pressure of starting.

Some can start right away, some can't.
    Well see, yeah, that's the very thing. Manuel was a project QB. That thought was universal. Oh he had the skills and talent but needed time to learn everyone said.

So we didn't have a QB coach to help with the rookie OC. And we signed a mentor who was going nowhere. And didn't replace him with a vet.

So then we hired a bad QB coach who did poorly with Stafford (said to regress), but coached the fundamentals lacking Lewis. No mentor.

Boom, a mentor competitor under a bad QB coach and a probable lost OC.

They probably did the very worst job of developing a project QB possible, that any witless fool with a thought on how to develop a project QB would sort of immediately know better to not follow unless he was not a project QB.

There's the rub. Whaley and Marrone thought they drafted a project QB who was really polished to them and ready to start. He'd pick up the offense like nothing and step in, perfectly Aaron Rodgers. Whoop, better bring in Kolb. No no, he's ready ! Whoop, cut that Lewis guy, and sign hm....oh Orton !!! Tuel is not that important or we can get him on the practice squad, he wasn't as ready as we thought either when we were protecting them last year.

Downing ! Teach these men the craft like you did Stafford.....

Thanks
    Thanked 9,877 Times in 4,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's too bad that we can't take a QB, even high, and let him develop without the pressure of starting.

Well..this might be his opportunity to sit for a while and learn.

If he gets replaced by Orton, during the season, I still don't consider it a death shot. Much of that depends on how he handles the adversity. Young pitchers get sent down to the minors all the time.

I just know you can't lead one TD drive in 5 games and expect to start. And there were many opportunities to score.

4. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-01-2014),pmoon6 (09-03-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah it's too bad this is the 2014 NFL where other teams can find QBs who can go in and start right away and look competent.

Not the 1984 NFL when you can sit on a guy for 5 seasons waiting to see if he'll finally figure it out.

I mean after all if this was like 1984, Trent Edwards could still have the starting job!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Well..this might be his opportunity to sit for a while and learn.

If he gets replaced by Orton, during the season, I still don't consider it a death shot. Much of that depends on how he handles the adversity. Young pitchers get sent down to the minors all the time.

I just know you can't lead one TD drive in 5 games and expect to start. And there were many opportunities to score.
    He's done in the NFL once he gets benched.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Interesting. Come to think about it, historically, the Bills have a very poor history of developing QBs. Ferguson is the only successful QB developed by the Bills that I can think of. The others all learned the ropes someplace else.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ej was Capt. Checkdown because he had no one breathing down his neck. Both Tuel and Thad weren't afraid to make mistakes because they had nothing to lose last year. EJ was being careful because he knew he was the qb anyways. Now he has to step up or we'll go back to the original plan from last year . Let him learn under a vet qb.

To anyone who says EJ doesn't need the added pressure with Orton waiting in the sidelines, if EJ take can't the heat, he can sit on the sidelines for all I care, just like Aaron Rogers had to for a few years. In the meantime, we have games to win.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-02-2014 at 08:43 AM.

elite QB
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    You said the team recognized and acted on the problem. Is that problem a starting QB or a back-up?
    I think it was both

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsOverDolphins View Post
    Exactly. Why else draft him or trade up to reach for him? He certainly didn't/doesn't have any other tangible skill that was worth picking him where we did.
    So.....if the nigga can't run, he ain't worth ****?

Legendary Zoner
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,841 Times in 6,258 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Yeah it's too bad this is the 2014 NFL where other teams can find QBs who can go in and start right away and look competent.

Not the 1984 NFL when you can sit on a guy for 5 seasons waiting to see if he'll finally figure it out.

I mean after all if this was like 1984, Trent Edwards could still have the starting job!
    And it's Ashhole Fans like you that have made it so.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

As an aside, I keep wanting to refer to Orton as "Cowboy Bob"

Carry on! :)

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
    per play average than the Bills' offense!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't see any reason, given the teams current personnel, why the organization should not give EJ every possible opportunity to show he can be a long-term solution. If EJ fails they could turn to Orton to steady the ship but where does that leave them for 2015, when Orton is again a free agent and the team has no first round draft pick? Maybe turning to Orton could buy Marrone and Whaley another year in charge, but that does not put the organization into a good position for the following season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So.....if the nigga can't run, he ain't worth ****?
    There is no passing attribute that set him apart from the pack, so you tell me why they drafted him. I'll accept, "because it looked like he may suck the least."
    Last edited by BillsOverDolphins; 09-03-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    Oh no!...We suck again!