Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merk Has been Channeling My Thoughts Re: the Orton Signing.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,898 Times in 4,020 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Merk Has been Channeling My Thoughts Re: the Orton Signing.

He's right on as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.profootballwarroom.com/

Marrone and Whaley have been around long enough in this league to know what they saw unfolding in front of them through 5 preseason games was unsettling at best. They saw a first team offense they couldn’t score a single TD despite numerous talented skill position players. They also saw a QB making dangerous throws to those skill players putting them in a position to get injured

The fans also saw the same thing and as can be expected the excuses started flowing as they did for Losman, Bledsoe, and Johnson before him. It’s Hackett, it’s the OL, it’s the preseason so its vanilla. Problem was it is none of those things as it hasn’t been in the past. No the problem is EJ Manuel. He has shown no progress from last year to this year and it could actually be argued that he has regressed. He is having trouble executing a vanilla scheme and playbook compounded with an inability to read defenses topped off with erratic at best accuracy. These issues go beyond the preseason and are not all of a sudden going to be cured when the regular season begins and the speed and pressure in the games gets maxed out times 100.

They can talk all they want about how concerned they were about the back up position...but a single TD drive in 5 games for the offense is the real concern.

Orton was brought in to be as much of a relief pitcher as he was a back up.

You can talk all you want about the hope of the light going on for EJ, but how long do you let him drag down and offense the team?

If he continues to play like he did in preseason, expect the change no later than the bye week.

IF EJ gets over his internal doubts and just plays read and shoot..without as much thinking...he can improve his stock tremendously. If not, he's heading right into Edwardsville. Its up to him.

2. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BuffaloRedleg (09-03-2014),Don't Panic (08-31-2014),Generalissimus Gibby (08-31-2014),Historian (08-31-2014),jlgarsh (08-31-2014),kingJofNYC (08-30-2014),Mace (08-30-2014),notacon (08-31-2014),Novacane (08-31-2014),swiper (08-31-2014),TacklingDummy (08-31-2014),WagonCircler (08-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Merk Has been Channeling My Thoughts Re: the Orton Signing.

EJ is toast unless he pulls a Drew Brees type turnaround, which isn't happening because he never displayed that kind of QB talent at the college level. EJ had a loaded FSU roster, and did nothing with it. He's done, now the question is, how soon does new ownership clean house?

Still can't believe Marrone/Whaley put all their chips on EJ, I mean it's unreal how inconsistent he was at FSU, he wasn't good. And yet they went all in with him as first time GM and Head Coach. You may only get one shot, and to bet on EJ as QB....insanity.
    Last edited by kingJofNYC; 08-30-2014 at 06:55 PM.

4. Post thanked by:

DynaPaul (08-30-2014),Fletch (08-31-2014),psubills62 (08-31-2014),starrymessenger (08-31-2014),streetkings01 (08-31-2014),TacklingDummy (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If EJ plays all the way to the bye week, there's no point in taking him out at that point to be honest.

2-6 into the bye and the season is already over...anything better than that and I don't see why you would yank Manuel. Unless somehow the team starts 4-0 and then goes on a 4 game losing streak where they don't score an offensive TD.

If the move to yank Manuel comes it would have to be because this team is 0-4 and they still want to salvage the season.

6. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (08-31-2014)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I feel good about Orton being here, like I said before not so much because he's Orton but because of what he walked into. I read somewhere, Orton is the kind of QB can keep you close to 8-8 if needed, and 8-8 would make me feel not 4-12 or 5-11 or 7-9.

I feel not good about next year if this goes as it seems to me.

Good they got a relief pitcher, and the best one available, if not a savior which was too much to hope for. Maybe this prompts Manuel to a better game. If not, well, I'd throw more money at Orton to be the bridge to the next whoever we won't get next year.

The stuff gets old. But fine, let him relief pitch and at some point enough is enough. I don't think Manuel will stay healthy to the bye week anyway so we'd better have an eye on who will backup our backup until the next time we begin again.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,561 Times in 17,445 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sorry, I like some of Merk's stuff when I come across it, but if he thinks the oline or OC's haven't been a problem in the past and it's all about the QB he's way off base.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

9. Post thanked by:

Don't Panic (08-31-2014),Night Train (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post
    EJ is toast unless he pulls a Drew Brees type turnaround, which isn't happening because he never displayed that kind of QB talent at the college level. EJ had a loaded FSU roster, and did nothing with it. He's done, now the question is, how soon does new ownership clean house?

Still can't believe Marrone/Whaley put all their chips on EJ, I mean it's unreal how inconsistent he was at FSU, he wasn't good. And yet they went all in with him as first time GM and Head Coach. You may only get one shot, and to bet on EJ as QB....insanity.
    We don't need EJ to be Drew Brees to win every week. We need him to be Alex Smith or Eli Manning without the INTs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If they want to make the playoffs, Orton will be starting as soon as he learns the playbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Totally agree with Merck. At this point it's just lip service to EJ because the kid has deficiencies that shouldn't exist at the NFL level.

13. Post thanked by:

Fletch (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    If they want to make the playoffs, Orton will be starting as soon as he learns the playbook.
    Agreed. And he will quickly be up to speed.
    With the talent this team has at the skill positions and with a good D if Orton can game manage as I think he can there is no reason why the Bills should not still be in the picture late in the year.
    They had exactly no hope of that before they made this move, so it's all good IMO, very good.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Take that all you Manuel apologists. Bills have recognized and acted on the problem.

Continually blaming other issues and deflecting will fall by the wayside. Now if we could only get our 2015 #1 pick back.

16. Post thanked by:

sudzy (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Take that all you Manuel apologists. Bills have recognized and acted on the problem.

Continually blaming other issues and deflecting will fall by the wayside. Now if we could only get our 2015 #1 pick back.
    Are you stating the team brought in Orton to be the starter?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Are you stating the team brought in Orton to be the starter?
    You know, I don't care. They are paying him a lot. I think OBD will continue to field Manuel and see what happens. I think if Manuel gets into too much trouble that Marrone would not give him too much rope. If Manuel can manage games, as some posters contend he can do, then I think they will let him play. Just want to see the Bills competitive and winning some games.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    You know, I don't care. They are paying him a lot. I think OBD will continue to field Manuel and see what happens. I think if Manuel gets into too much trouble that Marrone would not give him too much rope. If Manuel can manage games, as some posters contend he can do, then I think they will let him play. Just want to see the Bills competitive and winning some games.
    You said the team recognized and acted on the problem. Is that problem a starting QB or a back-up?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    You said the team recognized and acted on the problem. Is that problem a starting QB or a back-up?
    The QB position is the biggest weakness on an otherwise pretty good roster. Disagree?

21. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

23. Post thanked by:

Historian (08-31-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    We don't need EJ to be Drew Brees to win every week. We need him to be Alex Smith
    this........ Ej playing like Alex Smith could get us to the playoffs. Not the sb though

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kingJofNYC View Post

100% correct.

They clearly didn't do their homework on Manuel.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DynaPaul View Post
    Totally agree with Merck. At this point it's just lip service to EJ because the kid has deficiencies that shouldn't exist at the NFL level.
    Documented deficiencies even. Again, the team didn't do their homework before drafting Manuel and foolishly putting all their eggs into one basket like that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    If he continues to play like he did in preseason, expect the change no later than the bye week.
    The problem is going to be when the offense first goes flat, and it will fairly soon, perhaps even as soon as the home opener against Miami, then the chants for Orton are going to becoming fast and furiously.

It's an uphill battle for Manuel right now, if he doesn't come out of the gates swinging then he's finished here in Buffalo. Neither the fans nor media are going to let it slide at this point.

He has shown no progress from last year to this year and it could actually be argued that he has regressed. He is having trouble executing a vanilla scheme and playbook compounded with an inability to read defenses topped off with erratic at best accuracy. These issues go beyond the preseason and are not all of a sudden going to be cured when the regular season begins and the speed and pressure in the games gets maxed out times 100.
    That's obvious to anyone that's paying any attention and doesn't let their bias get in the way.

So at some point soon in the season, Marrone's either going to have to put Orton in or enjoy taking constant heat from media and fans. Hardly a good situation for a 2nd-year head coach to be in.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wait a minute, I haven't been following pre-season that much, our first team didn't score 1 TD?
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.