Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Bills Black Out a Game This Year?

SpikedLemonade

Will the Bills Black Out a Game This Year?

Season ticket sales are up past 50,000 which is encouraging.

Before you say we would sell out if we won, leave the obvious comments for someone else.

I could not find the history per season of how many and which Bills home games were not sold out over the past decade.

Last year there were only 2 Black Outs in the whole NFL and the Bills were one of them. The Toronto game was excluded from Black Outs. Russ said that 2 or 3 games of the 7 in Buffalo were "manufactured sell outs" despite the Bills having the 2nd cheapest tickets in the NFL.

Here is an article written before last season predicting which teams would have Black Outs...

5 NFL Teams Most Likely To Be Blacked Out In 2013

Buffalo Bills
    Number of blackouts in 2012: Two

...The Bills declined the NFL's offer to lift blackouts at 85% capacity, largely because doing so would require it to pay $90,000 per home game into the league's anti-blackout revenue pool. They needed a local restaurant owner to buy up remaining tickets to prevent a third blackout. Yet, despite all of this, folks in Erie County and New York State are going to shell out $226 million in tax dollars combined to renovate the Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Bills will kick in a scant $44 million.

This is a team that regularly asks Buffalo to fill its 73,000-seat-stadium with nearly a third of its population -- a tough task in late winter by Lake Erie -- just to keep games on television; the Chicago Bears require just 62,000 of that city's 2.7 million residents to do the same. It's a team that wouldn't commit to a future in the city beyond 94-year-old owner Ralph Wilson's lifespan. It's a team that celebrated its new stadium deal by blacking out the Bills' last home game of the season.

It's a team that's giving Buffalo only eight more years for its investment.

That's $28.3 million a year for a team paying only $800,000 a year in rent on its stadium....

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12011...t-in-2013.html

Fear of relocation has caused an uptick in season tickets sales earlier this year. Please don't make a temporary thing. Please buy tickets and sell out all the games this year.

Go Bills!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Will the Bills Black Out a Game This Year?

There actually doesn't look like a game on the schedule that shouldn't sell out this year.

The latest home date is vs the Packers and people will want to see Aaron Rodgers.

Before that is the Browns and people will want to see the Johnny Football circus if he's starting.

I'd say the Browns game is the most likely game not to sell out IF Hoyer is still starting.

3. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Probably. So what?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

MANY teams have manufactured sellouts including the Jags that TARP their stadium.

Why do blackouts concern you so much?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

I could not find the history per season of how many and which Bills home games were not sold out over the past decade.

2004... The game against the Cardinals was blacked out. The Rams might have been too
    2006... The Jaguars..Chargers.. Titans game were all blacked out
    2011..I think the game against the Broncos where Tebow had his worst game was blacked out

7. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If we're winning, no.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Some 10,000 Bills fans black out in the parking lots each home game.

10. Post thanked by:

BillsOverDolphins (09-01-2014),Historian (09-02-2014),ServoBillieves (09-01-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Here is an article about the attempt to make Black Outs illegal. Cinci, Tampa Bay, Oakland and San Diego have also had Black Outs over the past decade. Here is the argument from a fan pespective...

Sports fan lobbyist fights NFL blackouts, taxpayer-funded stadiums, and Comcast

...“Cincinnati is a great example,” he said. “They had to float municipal bonds, they’re having trouble paying the financing on those bonds, so schools are suffering while the taxpayers of Ohio are paying to subsidize a stadium for the NFL. Oh and by the way a couple of years ago 75 percent of all home games at Cincinnati were blacked out. Let me get this straight: [Say] I’m from Cincinnati. I supported this team my whole life. My taxpayer dollars go to support the stadium, and what do I get in return, I can’t watch the game on TV. Oh and I want to go, but wait a minute, the ticket prices just went up and I’m unemployed so I can’t afford it.”

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...s-and-comcast/

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think blacking out games accomplishes anything. I've never decided to go to a game because it was being blacked out.

13. Post thanked by:

Historian (09-02-2014),Night Train (09-02-2014)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    2004... The game against the Cardinals was blacked out. The Rams might have been too
    2006... The Jaguars..Chargers.. Titans game were all blacked out
    2011..I think the game against the Broncos where Tebow had his worst game was blacked out
    Thanks.

So 2013 -- 1 Black Outs out of 7 games

2012 -- 2 Black Outs out of 7 games

2011 -- 1 Black Outs out of 7 games

Can anyone help us with 2003 to 2010?

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Some 10,000 Bills fans black out in the parking lots each home game.
    Haven't you been reading your bigot country men posts?

Apparently all of the 10,000 are Canadians.

SpikedLemonade

This is from Wiki...

Teams and year of last blackout/non-sell out

• Giants (1975)
    • Jets (1977)
    • 49ers (1981)
    • Packers (1983)
    • Bears (1984)
    • Cowboys (1990)
    • Patriots (1993)
    • Browns (1995)
    • Titans (1997)
    • Vikings (1997)
    • Dolphins (1998)
    • Eagles (1999)
    • Colts (2002)
    • Panthers (2002)
    • Seahawks (2002)
    • Saints (2004)
    • Cardinals (2005)
    • Falcons (2007)
    • Chiefs (2009)
    • Jaguars (2009)
    • Rams (2009)
    • Lions (2010)
    • Bengals (2012)
    • Buccaneers (2012)
    • Raiders (2012)
    • Chargers (2013)
    • Bills (2013)

As of the 2013 season, the Washington Redskins (last game not sold out was in 1965), Denver Broncos (joined the NFL in 1970 per AFL-NFL merger agreement; last game not sold out was in 1969), Pittsburgh Steelers (last game not sold out was in 1972), Houston Texans (founded in 2002) and Baltimore Ravens (founded in 1996) have never had a blacked out game under the post-1973 rules. However, there have been blackouts in the post-1973 era in the Houston market (1995) and Baltimore market with previous franchises.

17. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-02-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Spiked, if you think Toronto or LA would sell out after 14 years of LOSING, you are CRAZY.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'd love to know who's buying the tickets in Miami. I've been to 3 games there in the 15 years they've supposedly sold out. They may have sold all the tickets but the stadium was 20% empty and 25% of them fans there were Bills fans.

SpikedLemonade

I hope the new owner will do this...

...Any team also has the option to buy up any remaining tickets, at 34 cents on the dollar, enough to pay the visiting team’s share of the gate receipts.

That’s exactly what Wilson did for the Oct. 13 Cincinnati game. Three days before that game, the team had reported being 5,300 tickets short of a sellout.

Then last month, the team requested a one-day extension for the Nov. 17 Jets game before announcing that Wilson had agreed to buy any remaining tickets. The team reportedly had about 3,500 unsold tickets at that point.

But the remaining number of tickets this week is more than three times the number for either of those two games.
    Not counting the Bills “home” game in Toronto against Atlanta on Dec. 1, which was televised here despite the presence of many unsold seats, the Bills had a tough time selling out three of its seven games in Ralph Wilson Stadium this season....

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-year-20131216

SpikedLemonade

NFL Teams Are Realizing How Dim-Witted It Is to Black Out Games on TV

...While many NFL teams have no problem whatsoever selling pricey tickets for home games, other franchises struggle to win over fans and use the threat of a TV blackout to pressure them into buying tickets. Last year, a total of 15 games were blacked out in a host team’s region. Through the first six weeks of the 2013 season, however, there have been zero blackouts. Why? It’s not because fans have suddenly decided to literally take one for the team and start buying more tickets. Instead, it looks like teams have started realizing what a bad business move it is to not televise games where their best fans live.

Besides the Chargers, the Buffalo Bills were expected to have their home game blacked out this past weekend. A week ago, the Bills announced a $15 off promotion on tickets to help sell some 7,000 seats and avoid a blackout. The Bills’ team owner wound up buying several thousand tickets so that the game wouldn’t be blacked out.

From 2010 to 2012, only five of the 24 home games for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were televised locally because not enough tickets were sold. But earlier this year, team ownership announced that it was stepping up to ensure that there would be no blackouts. “If fewer than 85 percent of nonpremium seats — the NFL’s threshold — are sold, the Bucs will write a check to the league to keep games in local living rooms,” the Tampa Bay Times reported. The Jacksonville Jaguars made a similar move last year to avoid TV blackouts....

http://business.time.com/2013/10/15/...t-games-on-tv/

SpikedLemonade

List of Blackouts in 2012
    (please credit SportsFans.org for this research!)
    Week 1
    Tampa Bay (Carolina)
    Week 3
    San Diego (Atlanta)
    Week 4
    Tampa Bay (Washington)
    Week 6
    Tampa Bay (KC)
    Week 10
    Tampa Bay (San Diego)
    Cincinnati (New York Giants)
    Week 12
    Tampa Bay (Atlanta)
    San Diego (Baltimore)
    Week 13
    Oakland (Cleveland)
    San Diego (Cincinnati)
    Buffalo (Jacksonville)
    Week 15
    San Diego (Carolina)
    Week 16
    Tampa Bay (St. Louis)
    Week 17
    Buffalo (N.Y. Jets)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,530 Times in 17,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I didn't realize Tampa and San Diego struggled so badly.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Finally, the Canadian TROLL's true colors come out.

Guess what, Little Elvis. Buffalo has an NFL team. Toronto doesn't. And so it shall remain.

Suck, Trout Boy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You have a serious obsession with trying to prove to everyone that Buffalo is not a viable franchise location.

Come to Buffalo and I would seriously give you a tour. I think I would change your opinion on Buffalo being a growth location with plenty of strength moving forward.