• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

100% support for EJ Manuel

You'd think that thread title would be a given considering he was only a year removed from being our 1st round pick, but it's not. I remember his senior year... I wanted to like him but was on the fence because I saw too many mistakes that seemed avoidable. 10 starts later I'm not sure how much he has improved from that last game as a Seminole, but I'm certainly not ready to close the book. How could anyone be? If you don't get a full year in this league to prove yourself then something is seriously wrong. So I'm pulling for him...

I have no no desire to see Kyle Orton. I want 16 games out of Manuel. I don't see Rob Johnson, JP Losman and Trent Edwards. I see a kid who is committed to the craft and will continuously improve. I'm not sure he will ever be great, but I am sure he doesn't have to be. I don't see injury prone, I see a couple cases of bad luck, which is behind him now.

So I hope to God that the tested and emotionally torn fans of these Bills have the patience to let this kid grow into this role and not to turn on him in what would assuredly be a rough and nasty way. If they do, that will have an effect on this kid. He needs the time, the patience, and the backing of the base to get it right. Looking around here lately, it's pretty obvious he has the luxury of none of those three. What a shame... I'm not giving up on him though. That's not an option in my eyes.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: 100% support for EJ Manuel

I hope we never have to put Orton in too except for the last game of the season when we need to rest Ej for the playoffs.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

well said

the support cant be unconditional, if he struggles consistently for say the first quarter then you probably have to go with the expensive backup to try to save the season. but certainly he deserves a ton more support than hes getting right now

one good thing is that the fans have so completely overreacted and drawn a picture in their minds based on a poor preseason that it wont take much for him to look good in comparison. if he can put in a reasonably acceptable game in chicago even if they lose then he could see opinions turn in his favor pretty quick. but hes gonna ride that hyper-critical train all season regardless
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Swiper
        • Sep 2010

On Sunday, you put the *****ing away and support the cause.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

I think he gets at least the first half of the season. Once they pull him that's it. If that happens he's done in Buffalo imo.

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

thats not always true. favre and elway got pulled early in their careers and managed to recover. but it certainly would be way way tougher for ej if the coaches decide to go with orton when ej is available
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
              So I hope to God that the tested and emotionally torn fans of these Bills have the patience to let this kid grow into this role and not to turn on him in what would assuredly be a rough and nasty way.
              Too late. Nice post, though.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                Too late. Nice post, though.
                It was too late about 5 minutes after they drafted him for many.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Most rookie QB's don't do well. Manuel was 4-6 and should have been 5-5.

Compared to other rookie QB's that started 10 games or more, EJ Manuel is pretty damn good.

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

This defense has the potential to be between top 5-7ish. And if they reach that potential, an offense with a competent QB and a solid running game gets this team to the playoffs.

I'm not willing to throw everyone else under the bus in the name of EJ's development. EJ has a couple games to prove he can win. If we go 0-2 to start, EJ should hold the clipboard until Orton proves he's worse or the Bills are eliminated from the playoffs.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                      • Jul 2002

If this was a normal season where we had our 1st round pick and stable ownership who had hired the guys in place, I'd be all in favor of EJ getting the season (because if he sucked at least we could draft his replacement), but if he shows signs of failure, like Losman did in 2005, the coach has to yank him because otherwise there's going to be a mutiny among the veterans with Orton not playing and Marrone will feel the heat because if he goes 6-10 he's going to get himself & Whaley fired.
                      Before Orton came to Buffalo, the team was all in on EJ. That changed when Orton signed. The fact that Cleveland has the Bills #1 and the coach & GM have no stability is why they have to win as many games as they can & if it hurts EJ's development, too darn bad. He's an adult and he better either produce or expect to be on the bench. I can't imagine a new owner being very happy watching the Browns picking high in the draft, especially if a highly rated QB is available in that spot, with the Bills 2015 pick.
                      That said, I hope he produces so that pulling him never HAS TO happen.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                        Most rookie QB's don't do well. Manuel was 4-6 and should have been 5-5.

Compared to other rookie QB's that started 10 games or more, EJ Manuel is pretty damn good.
                        EJ couldn't have said it better himself. In fact I think he has stated similar thoughts throughout this year's preseason.

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          It was too late about 5 minutes after they drafted him for many.
                          They didn't wait that long.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

Who knows what might happen, maybe it was vanilla served all along ?

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                              chop chop
                              • Jun 2003

Buffalo Shills out in full force...christ almighty yardrat is nauseating. Yeah, we'll all be excited week 1 (myself included), and that excitement will quickly turn into frustration. He's not going to flip the switch and suddenly have good mechanics or know how to read coverages consistently...he'll likely never be able to do the latter even if given another 2 years.

Go Bills...
                              Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

Working...
                              X