Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Watkins Watch

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Watkins Watch

I am sorry Kelvin Benjamin is not the route runner that Sammy is today or will he ever be as good as sammy is today. Benjamin is not a fluid lose hip guy and he will only beat you on the sidelines in straight line matches or quick slants and curl routes.

Sammy has the ability to be the next Jerry Rice and be the best WR in the league, he can win jump balls, run all the route tree, win with speed, win with strength, and win with catching the darn ball. Evans and Benjamin look like they might become good players but Sammy has HOF potential those guys have Pro Bowl potential.

Sammy has not proved to be worth the pick now but in a few years if he becomes what everyone thought he could become it will be looked at as a steal.

Also this will depend on what we give them, if it is a pick in the 20s then this is a win for us, if it is a top 10 pick browns win.

2. Post thanked by:

Albany,n.y. (09-18-2014),better days (09-18-2014),Dr. Who (09-18-2014),jlgarsh (09-19-2014)

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That's ridiculous. No one can promise a championship. What they can promise is a team that can compete for one. Right now we're a long way away from that.
    OK...I exaggerated a bit. Let me start over. It's the goal of every franchise and their management to win a championship. The reason Whaley went the Watkins strategy was to reach that goal. At the very minimum, that strategy needs to result in sustained contention, as in the Levy years. If not, it's a failed strategy.

It was mainly a point about your statement about Calvin Johnson. If Watkins has a career like that, that's fine. Hopefully, it will help us toward that goal of sustained contention in a way that Johnson hasn't for the Lions.

You might think that we can compete with teams like Denver, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Seattle, and San Francisco this year, but we can't do it consistently like the '90s team could.
    I never said that at all. I said we are a few years away.

You say that you're concerned with the whole dynamic, but then you should be concerned that on Sunday the offense besides Watkins only had 8 catches for 85 yards or that the running game only had 28 carries for 103 yards and only 3.7 ypc with about half of that coming on a single run. It was all Watkins on Sunday not much else.
    I certainly hope the limelight is shared among many players. Spiller is the top back, but Fred carried the day in Week 1. Watkins had a lovely home debut in Week 2, but it could as easily be Woods or Williams next week. The defense has bent, not broke, and come up with some key turnovers. And the whole team was buoyed by stout special teams.

That whole dynamic translated to a road win against a team many people think will contend for its division and a three-score home opening win against a bitter rival.

Am I concerned? Yeah. I'm concerned they might crash land into reality. Am I concerned about their play in the first two games. Absolutely not.

As to Manuel, you say that he looks better than last year. Really? It doesn't seem like you've bothered to look at his last season before saying that.
    What the hell? It's a qualified opinion based on two effing games and I said it might not mean anything. Jesus. Take a goddamn bong hit will ya? I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of your garbage since you obviously didn't read and comprehend mine.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What's the point of over-analyzing all of this? To truly KNOW if the Watkins trade-up was "worth it," you'd have to know what WOULD HAVE happened if the trade-up wasn't made. Which exact players would have the Bills gotten with this year's 1st and next year's 1st and 4th? You'll never know that. Next year's 4th doesn't mean all that much to me. First round picks bust-out all the time, so it's not like there is any guarantee that whoever we picked in the first round next year would even be any good.

It took the Falcons FIVE picks to draft Julio Jones, and they did it with the Browns as well. It cost the Falcons their 1st, 2nd, and 4th round picks in 2011, and their 1st and 4th round picks in 2012 to get Jones. I don't see the Browns setting the world on fire with all of the picks they got from this trade. In fact, I would rather have Julio Jones than ALL of the players that Cleveland wound up taking on that deal. As an indication, Phil Taylor is the only player left in Cleveland from that trade after only a few short seasons later.

Do you know who the Browns selected with their 2012 1st-rounder they got from that trade-up? Brandon Weeden.

I'm not going to lie. I was shocked that the Bills made this move at the time. I think most people were. But if Watkins turns out to be the great player he is projected to be, who is anybody to second guess what might have been? Two mediocre players and a stinker is not better than a great player, and that might have happened had the Bills/Browns trade-up deal not happened, right? Could have been even worse than that, but we'll never know.

So just get over it and root for your man. I'm just excited to have him on my team.
    Last edited by feldspar; 09-18-2014 at 11:13 AM.

5. Post thanked by:

better days (09-19-2014),Dr. Who (09-18-2014),jimmifli (09-18-2014),John Doe (09-18-2014)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even if we had the number one pick next year (which we wouldn't) and got to select a player, there's no guarantee we'd make the right selection. We rarely do in the first round. I'm very happy with the Watkins trade and I'm very happy with Whaley.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I bet the browns wish they had Jones or Watkins now.

The only player they got form Julio trade was Phil Taylor, he is a nice player but not Julio good. The other guys did nothing or are not on their team anymore.

As we in Buffalo know you need elite talent on the field to win. Keep passing up elite talent for more draft picks does not get you anywhere unless you have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning as your qb.
    Last edited by DesertFox24; 09-18-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I just love that the OP looks like a jackass... again. Keep it up!

9. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (09-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Evans looked like a stud tonight against the bucs. A lot of drops, thinking he could run backwards and make up yardage like its college.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    I am sorry Kelvin Benjamin is not the route runner that Sammy is today or will he ever be as good as sammy is today. Benjamin is not a fluid lose hip guy and he will only beat you on the sidelines in straight line matches or quick slants and curl routes.

Sammy has the ability to be the next Jerry Rice and be the best WR in the league, he can win jump balls, run all the route tree, win with speed, win with strength, and win with catching the darn ball. Evans and Benjamin look like they might become good players but Sammy has HOF potential those guys have Pro Bowl potential.

Sammy has not proved to be worth the pick now but in a few years if he becomes what everyone thought he could become it will be looked at as a steal.

Also this will depend on what we give them, if it is a pick in the 20s then this is a win for us, if it is a top 10 pick browns win.
    Route running wasn't one of Watkins' strengths coming out, you were aware of that, right? He himself is even on record saying that he needs to work on that here. You knew that, right?

If you watched Rice and knew how Sammy buttered his bread at Clemson you would also know that they are two different types of WRs. Rice was the master of the timing pattern, I've never seen anyone run it better with Montana or Young. This was not Watkins' strength.

What you said sounds good, it's just not true.

The only way he becomes a steal is for him to do exactly that, become the best WR in the league. Let's first see him put up a thousand yards.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Wagon Circler View Post
    Even if we had the number one pick next year (which we wouldn't) and got to select a player, there's no guarantee we'd make the right selection. We rarely do in the first round. I'm very happy with the Watkins trade and I'm very happy with Whaley.
    That almost sounds like a backhanded compliment.

What you seem to be saying is that Whaley is too stupid to make use of a 1st-round pick next year so you're happy that he took the risk that he did this year.

There's also no guarantee that Watkins becomes a top-10 receiver much less one that's worth the 4th overall pick straight up without even thinking about the other picks we traded. Far too many people jumping to far too many conclusions so early on, on a variety of aspects.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox24 View Post
    I bet the browns wish they had Jones or Watkins now.

The only player they got form Julio trade was Phil Taylor, he is a nice player but not Julio good. The other guys did nothing or are not on their team anymore.

As we in Buffalo know you need elite talent on the field to win. Keep passing up elite talent for more draft picks does not get you anywhere unless you have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning as your qb.
    You think so?

They've scored more points than any team in our division this year so far.

They have more passing yards than we do and their leading WR has more yards than Watkins.

Their leading 4 receivers have more yards than our leading four WRs.

Not sure how they're missing anything in the passing department if we're as good as everyone seems to be saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Those should stoke the fire for the day.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

if it makes people feel better, i'm sure somewhere on an atlanta board, there is their fletch who is saying, "but Matt ryan had 3 incompletions. how are we supposed to win with that. I'm just sayin'"

and again, evans looked like an unmitigated disaster last night. thought he was playing college and could run sideways and backwards to outrun defenders. his 6 yard gain upon reception ended up as a 1 yard gain. Two big drops where he didn't even look like he wanted to compete for the ball.

15. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

lol

if you r comparing to Watkins then Watkins has had one good game so far in pre and regular season.

good to see you tackling the issues though.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol

if you r comparing to Watkins then Watkins has had one good game so far in pre and regular season.

Damn it to hell, just one good regular season season outting? That's means he shows up only 50 percent of the time, and furthermore he has to account for allowing Cutler to have 300+ yards passing. Don't give me, but he don't play defense ****. He should have been cut yesterday. Also, The Fish and Bears are a combined 2-2 and they haven't played anyone in their wins because Kaepernik's Niners and Brady's Pats are nobodies who have never had any success. All that matters is I am right, and believe you me if we beat San Diego on Sunday its because the Chargers had injured players and the refs gave us the game. If this team won the superbowl well hahahaha if you think that will make you right and me wrong because it would be an ugly win or we didn't score enough points, or EJ looked weak in the redzone. . . .

18. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (09-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol

LOL at preseason games.

Here is a clue for you, they don't count & don't matter, just glorified practice.

Watkins had a couple catches against the Bears & had a GOOD game against the Fins.

I expect another GOOD game from Watkins against the Chargers, he says his ribs are feeling better every day.

20. Post thanked by:

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    LOL at preseason games.

Here is a clue for you, they don't count & don't matter, just glorified practice.

Watkins had a couple catches against the Bears & had a GOOD game against the Fins.

I expect another GOOD game from Watkins against the Chargers, he says his ribs are feeling better every day.
    Yeah only a couple catches, and a a supposedly good game against an allegedly good defense. Come on that defense you are speaking of may have beaten an old guy from the Brady Bunch, but come on that same D allowed 29 points to the Bills, the damn Bills. Good teams don't allow the Bills 29 points, now don't give me a this is a Buffalo Bills fan site, its a Buffalo Fletch fan site. Plus Fletch is right, a real number one pick would score a TD on every pass thrown his way, be seven feet tall, and consume the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse.
    Last edited by Generalissimus Gibby; 09-19-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Pro Football Focus has Watkins rated as the number 4 WR in the league after two weeks.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ide-receivers/

4. Sammy Watkins (BUF) +3.5

Looks every inch the player the Bills trade up to get.

Two spots above Calvin Johnson...

23. Post thanked by:

better days (09-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol

Here's a 1st round WR you wouldn't have had much use for after a couple of games. Didn't even start 1 game his rookie year. Didn't even have a catch in 2 games, and had only 1 reception in 2 others. Was not worth trading up for either.
    WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Rec Yds Avg Lng TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
    1 09/08 @ MIN L 21-28 1 -- 4 67 16.8 23 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2 09/15 ATL W 35-16 1 -- 2 35 17.5 20 0 1 -7 -7.0 -7 0 -- --

3 09/22 @ RAI W 34-10 1 -- 3 94 31.3 38 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

4 09/29 NO L 17-20 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

5 10/06 @ ATL W 38-17 1 -- 3 42 14.0 25T 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

6 10/13 CHI L 10-26 1 -- 3 37 12.3 17 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

7 10/20 @ DET L 21-23 1 -- 1 3 3.0 3 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

8 10/27 @ RAM W 28-14 1 -- 2 17 8.5 9 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

9 11/03 PHI W 24-13 1 -- 3 70 23.3 41 1 1 8 8.0 8 0 -- --

10 11/11 @ DEN L 16-17 1 -- 4 67 16.8 33 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

11 11/17 KC W 31-3 1 -- 1 19 19.0 19 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

12 11/25 SEA W 19-6 1 -- 2 42 21.0 28 0 1 -4 -4.0 -4 0 -- --

13 12/01 @ WAS W 35-8 1 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

14 12/09 RAM L 20-27 1 -- 10 241 24.1 66T 1 2 14 7.0 10 0 -- --

15 12/15 @ NO W 31-19 1 -- 4 82 20.5 42 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

16 12/22 DAL W 31-16 1 -- 7 111 15.9 31 0 1 15 15.0 15T 1 -- --

TOTAL 16 0 49 927 18.9 66 3 6 26 4.3 15 1 0 0

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Jerry Rice

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by malvado78 View Post
    Pro Football Focus has Watkins rated as the number 4 WR in the league after two weeks.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ide-receivers/

4. Sammy Watkins (BUF) +3.5

Looks every inch the player the Bills trade up to get.

Two spots above Calvin Johnson...
    How can this list be right without Evans & Benjamin? They're just as good as Watkins. Obviously the guy who made the list doesn't have Fletch's powers of observation.

27. Post thanked by:

better days (09-19-2014),Generalissimus Gibby (09-19-2014),malvado78 (09-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Jerry Rice
    Jerry Rice was a system receiver, no way in hell he was any good. The guy was a no talent hack who practiced with bricks.*

For the sake of some, by in large if my posts on this thread seem over the top or ridiculous, that's because they are supposed to be. The negativity of some posters is understandable given how ****ty this team has been over the last 15 years, but come on its got to the point where some can't even enjoy a win or appreciate when a guy has a very good game. Now I am not going to say put Sammy in the HOF NOW! However, I am going to say that I expect many more performances like he gave us against Miami and think he could be a key component in making this team a champion.