Thread: Sabre Prospects get pounded by Carolina in Traverse City

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sabre Prospects get pounded by Carolina in Traverse City

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-lose-to-Carolina/19897403

Sabres lose to Carolina

Paul Hamilton

Traverse City, MI (WGR 550) -- Considering all the first and second round picks the Sabres threw at Carolina on Friday, it’s rather shocking they lost 6-1 in game one of the Traverse City Prospects tournament.

This is Buffalos third appearance in this tourney and after winning its first seven games, it’s lost two in a row.

For two periods Buffalo had the better of the five on five play throwing 25 shots on Alex Nedeljkovic while Andrej Makarov only saw 12. The problem was the Canes went three for four on the power play and led 4-1.

It started when Nikita Zadorov took an elbowing penalty as he went to throw a big hit and Brock McGinn took advantage.

Chadd Cassidy took the Sabres three second round picks in June and put them all on one line. Vaclav Karabacek tied it when Brandan Lemiuex protected the puck and got it to Eric Cornel who made a slick move at the net setting up Karabacek for an easy one.

Joel Armia went behind the net and lightly knocked down Nedeljkovic getting a goaltender interference call allowing Carolina to get another PP goal to end the first up 2-1.

Carter Sandlak started the second by hammering Samson Reinhart from behind. Lemiuex came to his aid immediately, but wound up with an extra minor and you got it, Phil DiGiuseppe got in behind Brady Austin and beat what appeared to be a stunned Makarov.

DiGiuseppe had two goals while Alex Aleardi had a goal and two assists.

Makarov made only 14 saves and did not look good at all. Cassidy said, “Obviously Maki didn’t have the game he wanted to have to start out with tonight, but we kind of left him out to dry a few times as well. There was a lot of little stuff that in a tournament like that it’s going to happen. You hope you get bailed out with a big save, but today it seemed like every time we gave up one of those bad chances, it ended up in the back of the net.”

The penalty kill and the goaltending at both ends really put Buffalo behind, but according to Cassidy, it wasn’t all bad, “Five on five I’m really happy with the way we played from a structural standpoint I would say possession time and scoring chances we dominated, so you can take some good things from that, but we’ve got to tighten special teams.”

Cassidy named Rasmus Ristolainen the captain of the Traverse City squad with Jake McCabe and Joel Armia wearing the A’s.

There’s a pretty good chance that Francois Brassard will be in goal when the Sabres play the Rangers on Saturday. Join me and Brian Duff at 6:55 for the pregame on ESPN 1520 and Sabres.com.
    Last edited by swiper; 09-13-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabre Prospects get pounded by Carolina in Traverse City

2 goals scored in two games?

Ahh.....The Rangers scrubs sent them home!!
    Last edited by Downinfloflo; 09-14-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Zad was benched for the whole 2nd period in yesterdays game for poor effort and not competing. He is on a fast track to London unless he gets his head out of his azz quickly.. Risto and McCabe played almost all of the PP and PK minutes.... Kris Baker mentioned on WGR this morning Ristos level of commitment and off ice dedication is better than Zads right now

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sad isn't ready yet regardless, IMO. no reason to rush him, and the hunter boys will get his head straight in London. Hes a high level compete guy, so this isn't the norm.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Reinhart needs to go back to Juniors too.

6. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (09-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Reinhart needs to go back to Juniors too.
    there is no reason to rush him. hes a potential franchise forward. let him develop another year in kootney, and let young players like grigo, girgs, larsson, ect get ice time at the big leagues.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Sad isn't ready yet regardless, IMO. no reason to rush him, and the hunter boys will get his head straight in London. Hes a high level compete guy, so this isn't the norm.
    Baker wasn't too impressed with Zad at development camp.. I wouldn't be surprised if a malaise has mentally come over Zad.. He knows he is talented and a highly regarded defensive prospect in NHL circles he probably thinks he doesn't have to work as hard and can coast on his laurels..

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    Baker wasn't too impressed with Zad at development camp.. I wouldn't be surprised if a malaise has mentally come over Zad.. He knows he is talented and a highly regarded defensive prospect in NHL circles he probably thinks he doesn't have to work as hard and can coast on his laurels..
    Could be. Hes ready and is probably bored at this point. Which is an attitude that needs to be nipped in the bud.

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I also think he is a little pissed because he knows he is going back to juniors. He wants to play in the NHL and might be ready. But with all the players they have on defense, there is almost no way he will stay with the club this year. I just hope it doesn't cause resentment and fuels him to get better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
    I also think he is a little pissed because he knows he is going back to juniors. He wants to play in the NHL and might be ready. But with all the players they have on defense, there is almost no way he will stay with the club this year. I just hope it doesn't cause resentment and fuels him to get better.
    this has been happening for years, and usually without incident. im not overly worried, honestly.

this is also why i believe the AHL should amend its 20/graduation rule regarding CHL prospects. i get what the rule is trying to accomplish, but i believe former first round picks should be allowed in at 19.