Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: say what u want about EJ

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: say what u want about EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I know that our new and improved rushing D gave up almost 5 yards per carry against Chicago.

I don't consider Miami to have much of an offense, they were terrible last season and couldn't run the ball for ****. I don't think that they've improved much and their two best RBs left the game yesterday. So in that environment I'm not sure it's a good indicator.

Still, having said that, Tannehill played a lot better than I had expected, the Fins had 23 1st downs to our 13, were similar in 3rd-down conversions in a very hostile environment, put up almost as many net yards as we did, and had 3 of the 4 longest drives in the game.

So what are your thoughts on that?

I kinda thought that Tannehill would have maybe 150 passing yards and that Miller, whose not a good rusher, wouldn't average 4 ypc which he did. Williams is an undrafted rookie free agent and he ran well the few times he got the ball.
    Here are my thoughts on the Bills defense...

The Bills allowed the Bears to score 20 points in CHICAGO.

The Bears scored 28 points in a road game against the 49ers.

The Bills allowed only 10 points to the Fins.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well I don't know who said those things but it wasn't me. He didn't win us the game...but he didn't lose it for us either. The kid is young and the way he is playing I'm more than willing to give him time to grow on the field. I'm seeing something completely different than the crap we have seen in the past trying to develop QBs who were never going to make it. Manual has a chance and 2 TDs in two games is four times better than the offense produced in the pre-season that I found so concerning.

EJ has got to learn how to convert if we are going to reach the next level I agree. But I also think the coaching staff is working the problem intelligently and placing him in situations where he can't force something that kills the whole team. He's got to work into it if it's going to happen..why throw away games in the process? I thought he was going to struggle a lot more than he is. Instead I see him playing smart and the team with passion. Those are winning combinations of things and we are going to have to have some patience again no matter how bad the taste from the past in our mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    He still leaves us short on far too many drives.

We need to quit talking as if he won us the game. Last week he had one good drive and almost all the rest were stalled with the ball in his hands. If not for that set-up at the Chicago 7 we don't win that one. Special teams and defense won us the game yesterday and Miami is hardly a formidable offensive opponent. So will we play that way against better offenses. I guess we're going to find out.

This week the D played better, but offensively it was only a little better. He still left us on the field and having to settle for a FG, at least four times in the red zone. That's not good. Spiller's return was one of two TDs.

Manuel's had two TD drives in two games. We're not going to see set-ups inside the opponents' red zone or return TDs on a regular basis. We had better figure out, he had better figure out, how to move the ball and score more. Sorry, but we're just not going to win too many games playing like this. It's not about me, it's about that.

When you find yourself ranked poorly in key statistical indicators and are 2-0, it's always a good idea to step back and ask yourself why that is.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    Well I don't know who said those things but it wasn't me. He didn't win us the game...but he didn't lose it for us either. The kid is young and the way he is playing I'm more than willing to give him time to grow on the field. I'm seeing something completely different than the crap we have seen in the past trying to develop QBs who were never going to make it. Manual has a chance and 2 TDs in two games is four times better than the offense produced in the pre-season that I found so concerning.

EJ has got to learn how to convert if we are going to reach the next level I agree. But I also think the coaching staff is working the problem intelligently and placing him in situations where he can't force something that kills the whole team. He's got to work into it if it's going to happen..why throw away games in the process? I thought he was going to struggle a lot more than he is. Instead I see him playing smart and the team with passion. Those are winning combinations of things and we are going to have to have some patience again no matter how bad the taste from the past in our mouths.
    agreed. it was frustrating to watch the FG, but to some degree, they trusted the defense, were running clock. why show any packages that weren't practiced well and throw away momentum when simply doing the boring thing would get what you wanted, a W.

i think we'd all feel better if we had a bonafide star at QB. but the teams that typically win superbowls and are more reliable are more balanced teams. if the bills keep this up and win from contributions from different people each week, i'm fine with it.

for me, i was hoping what the bills brass wanted. a playoff appearance. if the bills do that, it was a successful year. anything more is excellent. and anything less is expected.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As I was watching the game last Sunday it dawned on my how poor this team has been for the past decade. We have guys making plays all over the field right now. We have guys layers down on the depth chart stepping in and being competitive and people are still making plays. Mentally, the men are in the game. That is such a huge part of the battle keeping their focus and minds in the game. So far, I'm impressed. I can't wait to see how they respond to the hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    agreed. it was frustrating to watch the FG, but to some degree, they trusted the defense, were running clock. why show any packages that weren't practiced well and throw away momentum when simply doing the boring thing would get what you wanted, a W.

i think we'd all feel better if we had a bonafide star at QB. but the teams that typically win superbowls and are more reliable are more balanced teams. if the bills keep this up and win from contributions from different people each week, i'm fine with it.

for me, i was hoping what the bills brass wanted. a playoff appearance. if the bills do that, it was a successful year. anything more is excellent. and anything less is expected.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He is not an elite qb today. He may become one or may not. He has started 12 games and is 6-5 in the 11 games he has finished.

He was a developmental project coming out and was going to need work like several other qbs.

The best part is we won two games and he is getting better. No he did not win the game but that is not the plan this year or probably next year. Neither is it the plan of the Seahawks or 49ners.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, today was game #12 for EJ.

He is not Aaron Rodgers yet or Big Ben, but they were not themselves after only 12 games either.

The point is the arrow is pointing up for EJ, and only those that want to see him fail will refuse to acknowledge that.
    Wrong again.