Thread: Good Start, but tough challenge ahead

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good Start, but tough challenge ahead

I don't like the Dolphins too much and they lost Moreno early so the game was a bit easier on the Bills.

However, Miami is known to be a fast start team every year, so the win is not one of the given.

The Chargers beat Seahawks so the Bills will be underdogs again. This might actually help the Bills in terms of the psyche of the Chargers. It just shows how difficult it is to win the opener on the road against a quality opponent. Regardless how the Bears fare against the 49ers, they were a quality opponent last week.

Locally I know a guy who is in the field of NFL agency who keeps telling me that he heard many NFL offices view the Bills as a talented team (he told me one Steelers executive said during the preseason game here that he'd love to swap Bills and Steelers roster except the starting QB). Pittsburgh resident, ESPN analyst Matt Williamson has mentioned Bills talent level on radios many times. Senior sports writer here echoed as much - the Bills have a playoff squad except QB position.

I guess Whaley and Marrone must view themselves the same. They just want EJ not to screw up. It is quite pathetic that they basically took the ball out of EJ's hands in the 4th Quarter today - I was yelling, let the kid throw some passes.

All in all, EJ certainly has met their criteria two games in and the rest of the team have been on par to what they expected. No breakout player like Kiko last year yet.

Don't think the next two games will be easy though. The Chargers team will be the best team they face thus far in 2014.

2. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,421 Times in 7,291 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Good Start, but tough challenge ahead

Most teams are going to run when they are up by 16 points in the 4th Q. I had no problem with it.

4. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (09-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,568 Times in 17,450 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

OP needs to call that Steeler's exec and tell him how badly this team and front office suck.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

anyone can beat anyone in the NFL nowadays. I try not to get caught up in "should wins" or reasons to look at a win as any less than what it is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Locally I know a guy who is in the field of NFL agency who keeps telling me that he heard many NFL offices view the Bills as a talented team (he told me one Steelers executive said during the preseason game here that he'd love to swap Bills and Steelers roster except the starting QB). Pittsburgh resident, ESPN analyst Matt Williamson has mentioned Bills talent level on radios many times. Senior sports writer here echoed as much - the Bills have a playoff squad except QB position.
    Assuming this is believable, this is exactly what I've been saying. I don't necessarily see a grand plan, but I see talent upgrades almost across the board. And our defense is playing without its best player....

This season is getting exciting for me.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills are favored by 1 on the early lines.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This isn't meant to seem like I'm optimistic, but I have doubts about San Diego on the road. They have that Jekyll/Hyde vibe going for a decade now, and looked inept on the road at Arizona. My gut feeling (like I am ever right nowadays), is that Chicago is the best team we'll face until Detroit at home, road games still make me queasy.

But I think they'll get a full stadium of fan frenzy and a Rivers who can be rattled when he starts getting hit too much.

Heaven help me I see this as a "should win", but feel good enough over the past 2 weeks to think it won't break my heart if they don't.

Like maybe everyone else here, I want a piece of New England in week 6. THAT game will tell me something, even if at home.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I am worried about the Bolts, but I like our chances at home. Bills 16, Bolts 14

11. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-14-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Mathews is hurt (surprise surprise) so we'll be facing a Woodhead/Brown tandem at RB? I actually like the Chargers this year... should be a tough game. If it was on the road I'd expect a loss but at home I think we can pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Quote Originally Posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
    Mathews is hurt (surprise surprise) so we'll be facing a Woodhead/Brown tandem at RB? I actually like the Chargers this year... should be a tough game. If it was on the road I'd expect a loss but at home I think we can pull it off.
    Woodhead killed us when he was with the Pats. Let's hope the effectiveness of our defense has included stopping him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    Woodhead killed us when he was with the Pats. Let's hope the effectiveness of our defense has included stopping him.
    Yeah but to be fair every single pass catching RB that plays with Brady kills us.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You have to wonder if the Chargers coming across the country after a huge home win might be the same type of trap game for them that the Seahawks game today was for Seattle. An emotional high followed by a long road trip against a team that is feeding off of a super charged fan base. Could be a very difficult game for them....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Chargers defense is really good.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    I was just about to say that. And the Chargers, from what I saw, ran some unconventional run (delay etc.)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,475 Times in 7,092 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

24-17 bills

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I remember the last Chargers game in Buffalo when Trent Edwards reached his career peak. Rivers is not very predictable in my opinion. He had some very unusual road game wins where no one expect. He faced tough Seattle defense today, granted at home.

Overall, though, this Bills team is different in the sense we are pretty solid across offense defense, special teams AND have depth everywhere (maybe except TE). The defense maybe borderline great. So as long as EJ is turning in solid performance, we should be in every game. San Diego is more of Rivers show. He can be super good and take over, but he can be limited as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't like the Dolphins too much and they lost Moreno early so the game was a bit easier on the Bills.

However, Miami is known to be a fast start team every year, so the win is not one of the given.

The Chargers beat Seahawks so the Bills will be underdogs again. This might actually help the Bills in terms of the psyche of the Chargers. It just shows how difficult it is to win the opener on the road against a quality opponent. Regardless how the Bears fare against the 49ers, they were a quality opponent last week.

I guess Whaley and Marrone must view themselves the same. They just want EJ not to screw up. It is quite pathetic that they basically took the ball out of EJ's hands in the 4th Quarter today - I was yelling, let the kid throw some passes.

All in all, EJ certainly has met their criteria two games in and the rest of the team have been on par to what they expected. No breakout player like Kiko last year yet.

Don't think the next two games will be easy though. The Chargers team will be the best team they face thus far in 2014.
    I have to agree because I was thinking the same thing today. If we had an elite to pseudo elite QB, we would be a contender. I try not to bash EJ, but Geno Smith looks better to me right now. Doesn't mean he can't grow and we can't win with him, but he's not elite. If we had that guy, we would be a force.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,079 Times in 4,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

When you are up 16 in the 4th quarter, there is zero reason to throw the ball.

Too sober for this... mysticsoto's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,210 Times in 2,111 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    I have to agree because I was thinking the same thing today. If we had an elite to pseudo elite QB, we would be a contender. I try not to bash EJ, but Geno Smith looks better to me right now. Doesn't mean he can't grow and we can't win with him, but he's not elite. If we had that guy, we would be a force.
    How in the world does Geno Smith look better? There were many times in the GB game where he looked totally lost out there!!!