• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

Re: Child Beaters: Adrian Peterson’s Four-Year-Old Obviously Had It Coming

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Hey Charles, this is 2014. We've learned a few things since you were a kid. One of them is how to discipline children. Beating them isn't really acceptable anymore. Sorry your mom did it to you, but this is the 21st century.
    Until there's a 21st century edition of The Bible, there are going to be a lot of people who will follow Spare the rod, spoil the child. If he gets one fundamentalist on the jury (which is likely in Texas) he's never going to be convicted.

Comment

• WagonCircler
      Escaped Convict
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
      "We never got your message. And we never saw that tape."
      Sure, great, but why should we, the viewers, have to be lectured by these blowhards?

We didn't do anything.

We tune in for football, not holier than thou sermons about "How we should be raising boys" or "How we should stop saying __________ throws like a girl."

I did not sign up to have these idiot celebrities as life coaches. They are no more qualified to weigh in on issues than the local barista or supermarket cashier. In fact, they, with their plush lives and million dollar salaries, are probably far less qualified to comment on the lives of everyday Americans than the cashier or coffee slinger.

I don't give a dog's breakfast what James Brown or Bob Costas think about anything. Nobody does. Introduce the football experts. Tell us about relevant injuries. Give us scores and highlights and STFU.

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

Does the blogger always dress like Catwoman and carry a whip?

Or was it just for that article?

Comment

• gebobs
          One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
          Sure, great, but why should we, the viewers, have to be lectured by these blowhards?

We didn't do anything.

We tune in for football, not holier than thou sermons about "How we should be raising boys" or "How we should stop saying __________ throws like a girl."
          Let's be clear. This is a blog, not a televised NFL broadcast. If you tuned into his "sermon" and don't like it, that's your problem.

You say 99% don't need convincing. I doubt it. Maybe 99% among the folks you consider peers. But this kind of whipping is more common than you may think. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised no one here has come to Peterson's defense. Every time someone gets in trouble for disciplining his child with a switch, you know you're going to here the tough people tell you how they got beaten when they were a kid.

I did not sign up to have these idiot celebrities as life coaches. They are no more qualified to weigh in on issues than the local barista or supermarket cashier. In fact, they, with their plush lives and million dollar salaries, are probably far less qualified to comment on the lives of everyday Americans than the cashier or coffee slinger.
          I don't know who Doktor Zoom is and have no idea how much money he makes. For all I know, his day job might BE at Starbucks. Regardless, is he wrong?
          Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• streetkings01
            • Jul 2006

I dont believe in hitting a kid with a switch since I've been on the receiving end of one a few times in my life, but I believe in whooping a kids ass if he's disrespectful with the hand of course!
            You can call me streetkings

Comment

• ServoBillieves
              The Voice of Reason
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
              WTF does this have to do with Bills football?
              The Vikings decided to sit him one game... Against the Patriots*. That doesn't... make sense.
              Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

I do not condone child abuse. But does anyone remember your parents saying "this hurts me more than it hurts you"? I don't know about you but I got my whopping as a kid.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                  Escaped Convict
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gebobs View Post
                  Let's be clear. This is a blog, not a televised NFL broadcast. If you tuned into his "sermon" and don't like it, that's your problem.

You say 99% don't need convincing. I doubt it. Maybe 99% among the folks you consider peers. But this kind of whipping is more common than you may think. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised no one here has come to Peterson's defense. Every time someone gets in trouble for disciplining his child with a switch, you know you're going to here the tough people tell you how they got beaten when they were a kid.
                  In my post, I stated that "things like this post..." and specifically mentioned James Brown's sermon on Thursday Night Football.

I don't care if we're talking about my peers or people I've never imagined existed, nothing James Brown is going to say on a football pre game show is going to give anyone an epiphany. His speech, and those made by Costas and other, are all about self aggrandizement.

They have no place on a football broadcast, and even if they did, then they should have an expert in child psychology or a pediatrician or law enforcement expert give them. But they don't have any business being on a football broadcast.

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

The NFL is a focal point of our culture. It's deeply entrenched in family, community and national traditions. The NFL also benefits from an anti-trust exemption. Local and state governments also create all sorts of incentives and breaks in order to keep an NFL franchise as part of it's community. We, as a society, are supporting this institution.

As a voting and tax paying populace, we more than have made the case the NFL is part of who we are.

Highlighting the issue of violent crimes in the NFL.... let's use Michael Vick as an example. 99% of us would never, ever get our jobs back after being convicted of what he was convicted of. His financial troubles aside, he was rewarded the opportunity to make millions again on OUR very public stage that is the NFL.

That matters.

At best, any attempt to compartmentalize the NFL into "just a football game" that we can watch seperate from the real and all of it's rules that the rest of us are held to just flat out ignores the ties that bind us. At worst, it's a dismissive and distracting rationalization to hide one simple truth... some of us in our society are just flat out ok with this kind of behavior.

"Oh... we don't support that kind of behavior," they say.

Sure thing.
                    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 09-15-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Swiper
                      • Sep 2010

The NFL is too much apart of culture. Too much. The thug league continues on it's downward cultural spiral. All hale the almighty dollar and the hell with everything moral and legal. It's the evil of the dollar.

And who is James Brown to be lecturing on the topic? The whole thing and the circus that surrounds these cases is marring the game of football. Especially after we waited so long to have a team looking up.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

If the Bills lost as a kid & my Dad was drunk, I know how my post game interview was going to go if I crossed him.

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                          Until there's a 21st century edition of The Bible, there are going to be a lot of people who will follow Spare the rod, spoil the child. If he gets one fundamentalist on the jury (which is likely in Texas) he's never going to be convicted.

Bull crap. I'm a Bible believing Christian what you'd call a fundamentalist and I don't believe in abuse. What Peterson did was abuse.
                          I got spanked and spanked my kids when they were younger. 2 or 3 taps on a clothed butt with a paddle. Not 15 beatings on a bare butt. You libs will probably say that's abuse too. Whatever.

Can a mod please move this thread to the spin zone??????????? I avoid that place for a reason!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Novacane
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                            The Vikings decided to sit him one game... Against the Patriots*. That doesn't... make sense.
                            I'm sure that's exactly what Mercy was thinking when she started the thread

Comment

• Jry44
                              • Apr 2013

Last edited by Jry44; 09-15-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• feldspar
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Novacane View Post

Can a mod please move this thread to the spin zone??????????? I avoid that place for a reason!!!!!!!!!
                                Exactly. This is not a football topic; therefore, I don't expect to listen to windbags pontificating about pressing social issues when I tune in to watch football. In fact, one of the reasons why I watch football is to escape from all of that for a little while. I don't have to go too far to encounter upsetting stories if that's the type of thing I want to do. If we need the NFL to educate us about these issues, then we are in more trouble than I thought...which is saying something. It annoys me when the NFL is used as a platform for unrelated issues, especially when we are talking about a violent sport. Pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                                X