Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Child Beaters: Adrian Peterson’s Four-Year-Old Obviously Had It Coming

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Child Beaters: Adrian Peterson’s Four-Year-Old Obviously Had It Coming

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    WTF does this have to do with Bills football?
    The Vikings decided to sit him one game... Against the Patriots*. That doesn't... make sense.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I do not condone child abuse. But does anyone remember your parents saying "this hurts me more than it hurts you"? I don't know about you but I got my whopping as a kid.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    Let's be clear. This is a blog, not a televised NFL broadcast. If you tuned into his "sermon" and don't like it, that's your problem.

You say 99% don't need convincing. I doubt it. Maybe 99% among the folks you consider peers. But this kind of whipping is more common than you may think. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised no one here has come to Peterson's defense. Every time someone gets in trouble for disciplining his child with a switch, you know you're going to here the tough people tell you how they got beaten when they were a kid.
    In my post, I stated that "things like this post..." and specifically mentioned James Brown's sermon on Thursday Night Football.

I don't care if we're talking about my peers or people I've never imagined existed, nothing James Brown is going to say on a football pre game show is going to give anyone an epiphany. His speech, and those made by Costas and other, are all about self aggrandizement.

They have no place on a football broadcast, and even if they did, then they should have an expert in child psychology or a pediatrician or law enforcement expert give them. But they don't have any business being on a football broadcast.

4. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (09-16-2014),Jry44 (09-15-2014),Novacane (09-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The NFL is a focal point of our culture. It's deeply entrenched in family, community and national traditions. The NFL also benefits from an anti-trust exemption. Local and state governments also create all sorts of incentives and breaks in order to keep an NFL franchise as part of it's community. We, as a society, are supporting this institution.

As a voting and tax paying populace, we more than have made the case the NFL is part of who we are.

Highlighting the issue of violent crimes in the NFL.... let's use Michael Vick as an example. 99% of us would never, ever get our jobs back after being convicted of what he was convicted of. His financial troubles aside, he was rewarded the opportunity to make millions again on OUR very public stage that is the NFL.

That matters.

At best, any attempt to compartmentalize the NFL into "just a football game" that we can watch seperate from the real and all of it's rules that the rest of us are held to just flat out ignores the ties that bind us. At worst, it's a dismissive and distracting rationalization to hide one simple truth... some of us in our society are just flat out ok with this kind of behavior.

"Oh... we don't support that kind of behavior," they say.

Sure thing.
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 09-15-2014 at 06:58 PM.

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (09-15-2014),mercyrule (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The NFL is too much apart of culture. Too much. The thug league continues on it's downward cultural spiral. All hale the almighty dollar and the hell with everything moral and legal. It's the evil of the dollar.

And who is James Brown to be lecturing on the topic? The whole thing and the circus that surrounds these cases is marring the game of football. Especially after we waited so long to have a team looking up.

8. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (09-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If the Bills lost as a kid & my Dad was drunk, I know how my post game interview was going to go if I crossed him.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Until there's a 21st century edition of The Bible, there are going to be a lot of people who will follow Spare the rod, spoil the child. If he gets one fundamentalist on the jury (which is likely in Texas) he's never going to be convicted.

Bull crap. I'm a Bible believing Christian what you'd call a fundamentalist and I don't believe in abuse. What Peterson did was abuse.
    I got spanked and spanked my kids when they were younger. 2 or 3 taps on a clothed butt with a paddle. Not 15 beatings on a bare butt. You libs will probably say that's abuse too. Whatever.

Can a mod please move this thread to the spin zone??????????? I avoid that place for a reason!!!!!!!!!

11. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,272 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ServoBillieves View Post
    The Vikings decided to sit him one game... Against the Patriots*. That doesn't... make sense.
    I'm sure that's exactly what Mercy was thinking when she started the thread

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Last edited by Jry44; 09-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Can a mod please move this thread to the spin zone??????????? I avoid that place for a reason!!!!!!!!!
    Exactly. This is not a football topic; therefore, I don't expect to listen to windbags pontificating about pressing social issues when I tune in to watch football. In fact, one of the reasons why I watch football is to escape from all of that for a little while. I don't have to go too far to encounter upsetting stories if that's the type of thing I want to do. If we need the NFL to educate us about these issues, then we are in more trouble than I thought...which is saying something. It annoys me when the NFL is used as a platform for unrelated issues, especially when we are talking about a violent sport. Pathetic.

15. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (09-16-2014),WagonCircler (09-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Post like this never cease to amaze me?

Who the hell are you talking to? Who is James Brown lecturing? The pro-child beating crowd? The domestic violence fan club?

All of these people are just self-aggrandizing blow hards. Lecturing an entire country full of people damning child and wife beaters is like filibustering on the benefits of oxygen.

We get it. There are morons out there who don't, sure. But neither James Brown, nor Bob Costas, nor any other talking head on TV is going to sway them. As for the other 99% of us, we don't need convincing. We just want to watch a God damn football game without being talked down to by some unqualified jackass who is an expert on nothing.
    The fact that people don't get why they talk about is exactly why they do talk about it

This should transcend football and can teach us about where we are as a society.

It might take some thinking. But it can be done
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

17. Post thanked by:

mercyrule (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    The fact that people don't get why they talk about is exactly why they do talk about it

This should transcend football and can teach us about where we are as a society.

Who are "THEY" to be teaching anyone about anything? Again, what qualifies James Brown or Bob Costas? What makes them experts? It's condescending, presumptuous bull**** and its real purpose is just posing.

And I guarantee you that blowhards like Costas' view on "where we are as a society" is worthless. He has no more expertise on any subject than anyone else.

There's a time and a place for everything, and an NFL broadcast is neither. If people want to be preached to, there are plenty of other places they can get that.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 09-15-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who said they are experts?

Nobody.

If we only discussed topics were were experts on, this place would be quiet. Nobody wants to talk about cats with me or being a bouncer with you.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 4,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Wagon: Then where the F can we get some perspective on what the hell is going on with the NFL? You sure as hell aren't going to get it on the NFL's house network.

Go ahead. You're the stinking expert on it.

Tell us. We await your pearls of wisdom.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bull crap. I'm a Bible believing Christian what you'd call a fundamentalist and I don't believe in abuse. What Peterson did was abuse.
    I got spanked and spanked my kids when they were younger. 2 or 3 taps on a clothed butt with a paddle. Not 15 beatings on a bare butt. You libs will probably say that's abuse too. Whatever.

So anyone who disagrees with your fundamental religious beliefs is a "Lib"? Never heard that convoluted logic before. I'm sure there are plenty of religious people who are what you would call liberal, but then some people like you call everyone who doesn't share all your beliefs "liberals" without ever understanding the meaning of the word. Heres how Liberalism is defined:
    Liberalism is a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality.[1] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally they support ideas such as free and fair elections, civil rights, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, free trade, and private property. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism
    Sounds pretty Anti-American to put down "Libs", when you understand the definition.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post

It's called context, Doctor.

Like I alluded to, if you need to refer to the NFL to teach us as to where we are as a society, that should probably teach us a lot about society right there. Do you really think that people are going to say "hmmm...I didn't think child abuse was bad before, but I can see how that can be bad now" just because an NFL commentator gave a commentary? That will help fix things?

And this "it might take some thinking" coming from a guy that says he likes homosexuality, even though he wouldn't dream about partaking in homosexual activities under any circumstances. Again, context. The NFL shouldn't have to be a forum for these subjects. If it does, then that's pathetic.

I just don't want to hear about it from the NFL. Stick the discipline reigned down on Peterson...that's relevant. What he did or did not do is entirely upon him.

Since the NFL is basically based upon controlled violence, I don't think these are the people to get on a soapbox anyway.
    Last edited by feldspar; 09-15-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The NFL should decide to sit this guy indefinitely.

Welcome to the league where you can beat women and children and get a slap on the wrist, well until the video becomes public and where doing some weed a few times gets you an entire year off. Well now Gordon's suspension is reduced to 10 games but still.

Doing some pot = 10 games off. Beating a child = 1 game off.

What's wrong with this picture?

24. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (09-15-2014)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

WTF does this have to do with Bills football?
    Who TF cares?
    Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
    Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy
    Ummm, McCain hasn't been inocculated as prez yet. ~ honey
    If I were to rely on You! , WHICH THANK GOD I DON'T. i would be looking at moving into a railer hose! ~ Mr. honey

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Does the blogger always dress like Catwoman and carry a whip?

Or was it just for that article?
    Yes, she always does. I love the Wonkette. Always entertaining

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Guy should be banned just like Ray Rice, IF what he's being accused of is true. There's no reason to beat a 4 year old with a stick. EVER.
    The Ray Rice situation is disgusting and based on what I've heard on the four year old kid's injuries Peterson should be ashamed of his actions.

However, I didn't know the NFL was in charge of enforcing the law or dictating social policy. Personally I'm over hearing about it.

If Ray Rice had spit on a man and than punched him out wouldn't his actions still be horrific?

The problem starts with law enforcement.

28. Post thanked by:

mercyrule (09-16-2014)