Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Child Beaters: Adrian Peterson’s Four-Year-Old Obviously Had It Coming

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Child Beaters: Adrian Peterson’s Four-Year-Old Obviously Had It Coming

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    I didn't know the NFL was in charge of enforcing the law or dictating social policy.
    The law and "social policy" notwithstanding, this is about brand management. The NFL and major-league sports in general have problems. A few thousand of them...in the form of immature, instantly wealthy, young men who take being full of piss and vinegar to a whole 'nutha level.

These guys have worked hard as hell to get where they are. It's a damn shame to see some of them piss it away, but not nearly the shame that is giving them a pass time after time.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

2. Post thanked by:

mercyrule (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This subject has been beaten to death
    Oh no!...We suck again!

4. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (09-16-2014),WagonCircler (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    The law and "social policy" notwithstanding, this is about brand management. The NFL and major-league sports in general have problems. A few thousand of them...in the form of immature, instantly wealthy, young men who take being full of piss and vinegar to a whole 'nutha level.

These guys have worked hard as hell to get where they are. It's a damn shame to see some of them piss it away, but not nearly the shame that is giving them a pass time after time.
    If it was about brand management, Ray Rice would have been given a 1 year suspension right out of the gate.

All of this bull**** is about politics.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The problem is that if a person is inclined to punch or beat a defenseless person without a threat/provocation than there is no policy on the planet that will deter their actions. A sociopath isn't going to be deterred by policy. If law enforcement had done their job Mr. Rice would be in jail so it would be pretty hard to debate if he should be on the field or not. The problem is that they didn't.

It's hard to justify suspending him indefintely when he was given pre-trial diversion. Now your doing the justice systems job. The problem starts with law enforcement. These guys are trained to arrest first and ask questions later.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The problem is that if a person is inclined to punch or beat a defenseless person without a threat/provocation than there is no policy on the planet that will deter their actions..
    And furthermore, they are absolutely not going to be deterred by and arrogant homilies from football studio hosts.

8. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    If it was about brand management, Ray Rice would have been given a 1 year suspension right out of the gate.
    Sure, if their integrity was air-tight. It's not. They chose to try and sweep it under the carpet first. It blew up in their face.

10. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (09-16-2014),jimmifli (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,690 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    And furthermore, they are absolutely not going to be deterred by and arrogant homilies from football studio hosts.

What makes them arrogant?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    They're former football players
    Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
    Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy
    Ummm, McCain hasn't been inocculated as prez yet. ~ honey
    If I were to rely on You! , WHICH THANK GOD I DON'T. i would be looking at moving into a railer hose! ~ Mr. honey

13. Post thanked by:

coastal (09-16-2014),Dr. Lecter (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are an infinite amount of places where only football is discussed - if you don't like hearing non-expert opinions on the topic of child abuse as it pertains to NFL players, change the channel to the NFL Network. No one is forcing you to watch it. I personally am curious to see what the NFL talking heads feel about the situation that's affecting their beloved sport.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    I do not condone child abuse. But does anyone remember your parents saying "this hurts me more than it hurts you"? I don't know about you but I got my whopping as a kid.
    But you would never do that to your kids.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The problem is that if a person is inclined to punch or beat a defenseless person without a threat/provocation than there is no policy on the planet that will deter their actions.
    There are a lot of things they can do though admittedly they may have variable effectiveness. Off the top of my head and on the less extreme end, you can have counseling. On the more extreme, bans.

A sociopath isn't going to be deterred by policy. If law enforcement had done their job Mr. Rice would be in jail so it would be pretty hard to debate if he should be on the field or not. The problem is that they didn't.
    Sociopath? I don't know about all that. But otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree. These guys get off for plenty of reasons. Their money, their association with a powerful organization, their notoriety, etc. give them advantages that normal people do not have. I bet Hasek was given the green light to drive home after more than a few DUI stops.

And that's why the league needs to step in. Playing a sport for millions of dollars is a privilege that they confer and one to which they should and do attach conditions. Though it may not stop abuse in one fell swoop, each action they take brings these issues to the national conversation.

I don't want to listen to this crap on game day any more than the next guy, but I don't think airing these issues as caused by these situations is a bad thing. Look no further than dumbass Barkley. He thinks this is completely acceptable. He and every other moron that thinks so needs to be educated.

17. Post thanked by:

mercyrule (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Bull crap. I'm a Bible believing Christian what you'd call a fundamentalist and I don't believe in abuse. What Peterson did was abuse.
    I got spanked and spanked my kids when they were younger. 2 or 3 taps on a clothed butt with a paddle. Not 15 beatings on a bare butt. You libs will probably say that's abuse too. Whatever.

Can a mod please move this thread to the spin zone??????????? I avoid that place for a reason!!!!!!!!!
    Wagon calls me a lib. I'm not, I'm moderate. But I got the same as you did growing up. It's not the liberals to complain about, it's the Bible-thumping conservatives that re the problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

However, I didn't know the NFL was in charge of enforcing the law or dictating social policy.
    They give off an image to society. Little kids and women included. They have that image to protect.

You have to first understand that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    What makes them arrogant is the fact that they feel they are qualified to lecture the rest of us. Especially on subjects which aren't so black and white. Brown touched on subjects that have nothing to do with domestic abuse, with nonsense like "we need to stop using phrases like "throws like a girl..."

James Brown isn't qualified to tell me what I'm allowed to say, or should or should not say. James Brown isn't qualified to advise me on anything.

Bob Costas expressing his opinion on gun control as though he's an authority? F-- Bob Costas. If he wants to pontificate on matters that have nothing to do with the NFL, he can write a letter to the editor.

They are arrogant because they see themselves as members of some sort of an elite class whose members are qualified to preach to the rest of us, whom they assume can't think for ourselves.

These are football broadcasts. Viewers are absolutely NOT tuning in to be lectured to. They have football broadcasts on to watch football, and it's God damned presumptuous of these preening, holier than though douchebags to co-opt the broadcasts to "educate" us. We're quite capable of thinking for ourselves.

Now you, being an arrogant leftist, will never understand this, because you're exactly like them. You obviously feel that everyone who doesn't share your opinion on every social issue is an ignorant Neanderthal in need of reprogramming.

You, Brown, Costas, Olbermann, et. al. can kindly deposit your social engineering up your asses.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 09-16-2014 at 11:55 AM.

21. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure, if their integrity was air-tight. It's not. They chose to try and sweep it under the carpet first. It blew up in their face.
    And this integrity gap will be sealed by James Brown lecturing us on right and wrong?

Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Wagon calls me a lib. I'm not, I'm moderate. .
    Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

I needed a good laugh today.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What was their incentive to sweep it under the rug is what I want to know. Why would the commissioner stick his neck out for Ray Rice? Has to be a payday we don't know about. Wouldn't be shocked if the Raven's owner gave him some nice kick backs.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So the hordes objections to the TV talking heads (you know... the people that get paid to have an opinion) voicing their thoughts boils down to, "You're not the boss of me!"?

Ignorant Neanderthal in need of reprogramming?

With reason.... can someone explain how that doesn't hit the nail 100% on the head?

25. Post thanked by:

Dr. Lecter (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Wagon Circler View Post
    What was their incentive to sweep it under the rug.
    NFLPA.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    So the hordes objections to the TV talking heads (you know... the people that get paid to have an opinion)
    So, you think James Brown gets paid to have an opinion and express that opinion on social issues?

James Brown doesn't even get paid to have an opinion on football. He gets paid to facilitate the people who do get paid to have opinions on football, and to tell people when it's time for commercials.

You're even dumber than I thought you were, and I didn't think that was possible.

Let's imagine that you're watching one of your favorite shows. Saaaaayyyyy Project Runway, and Heidi Klum starts the show by going on a rant about people getting tax write-offs for mortgage payments. Or she shares her opinion on who should occupy the West Bank.

You'd be so pissed you'd spit up your quiche.

This is no different.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 09-16-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think James Brown gets paid to have an opinion on anything related to the happenings in the NFL.

to deny that is again... a creative attempt to compartmentalize out that which is not wanting to be dealt with.

just admit you have no problem with this kind of behavior.

have some pride in yourself for Christ's sake.

29. Post thanked by:

ckg927 (09-16-2014)