Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bills - Chargers: Advantages and Disadvantages

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills - Chargers: Advantages and Disadvantages

Advantages:
    1. First and foremost, we're playing these guys at home. Expect another raucous crowd like the one we saw yesterday for this game. I just can't see any team coming into that type of environment and absolutely blowing us out of the water, much less a West Coast team making the trek for a 1PM game.
    2. This Chargers defense that people are starting to tout so highly looks very run of the mill. The Seahawks ran the ball with Marshawn a total of 6 times yesterday with him averaging almost 6 yards a carry, and Andre Ellington had similar numbers against them in the Monday night game. Why teams aren't running more against this team that is susceptible to breakdowns (i.e. Percy Harvin touchdown run yesterday) is beyond me. Their rush defense is extremely suspect yet untested up to this point in the season, I'd look for the Bills to incorporate more of the ground and pound mentality against them.
    3. Coming off a nearly perfect game against the Hawks, Philip Rivers should be feeling confident. But from what I saw in the game yesterday, Seattle wasn't able to generate any sort of pressure on Rivers. The Cardinals were generating tons of pressure on rivers all game, even bringing blitz packages during the Chargers final drive, which they promptly went four and out on to end the game, with Rivers seemingly looking lost as to where to get the ball when being pressured by safeties. If the Bills front four can be as disruptive as they were against Tannehill, I guarantee Rivers won't be putting up a statline like this weeks.
    4. Ryan Mathews is out for this game. I know Mathews isn't as integral a part of the offense that Moreno is in Miami, but this immediately one less guy Schwartz has to spend time preparing for this week.

Disadvantages:
    1. We have been getting killed on those short 5-10 yard hitch routes to the outside and drags over the middle. It's not an easy route to defend, but it's essential that you defend those correctly otherwise 3rd and 6 becomes a gimmee. A guy like Keenan Allen could absolutely kill us on those routes.
    2. Danny Woodhead is a guy that can make plays off the catch. After surrendering 80 receiving yards to Forte Week one and seeing Woodhead torch us when he was in New England, that poses a concerning matchup for our backers.
    3. We haven't seen many blitz packages out of Schwartz's defense which is centered around not giving up big plays. If we aren't able to generate pressure with the front four and don't incorporate new blitz schemes to keep Rivers uncomfortable, he could torch us.
    4. Antonio Gates can still ball. I don't like this match up, especially after seeing the game Martellus Bennett had week one.
    5. The Chargers held the ball for 42 minutes yesterday. They had long, sustained drives which just chewed up the clock. We can't afford to let them to dominate TOP like this.

All in all, I think this is going to be a tight game. If we continue to stall in the redzone and have to settle for field goals, I don't see there being any way for us to win this game. However, if we can get Rivers uncomfortable and win the TOP on the day while capitalizing with redzone touchdowns, it's definitely winnable.

2. Post thanked by:

casdhf (09-15-2014),Dr. Lecter (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills - Chargers: Advantages and Disadvantages

You might see a very similar type of D alignment as we did Sunday focusing on the passing game with Mathews out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Chargers are a very average football team who are getting overhyped because they played a perfect game against Seattle yesterday. They also benefitted from the home crowd and the heat. I expect the Bills to win by a touchdown. Outside of QB and TE, we are the superior team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownBear View Post
    The Chargers are a very average football team who are getting overhyped because they played a perfect game against Seattle yesterday. They also benefitted from the home crowd and the heat. I expect the Bills to win by a touchdown. Outside of QB and TE, we are the superior team.
    And they beat Arizona that went 10-6 last year in the leagues toughest division. Oh, and they won a playoff game last year on the road against a very good Cincy team. Oh, and they beat Denver in Denver. Besides all of those small feats, , they're very over hyped and average!

Lord have mercy...... I do however feel like this could be a trap game for them. Won't be easy though.
    Last edited by Jry44; 09-15-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 7,274 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Chargers lost to AZ

7. Post thanked by:

Jry44 (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Gates and Woodhead concern me.

IMO we need better and more consistent pressure on Rivers than we got the first two games, and the 'backers/safeties are going to have to be smart and disciplined. Just like any QB, maybe a little bit moreso than some, if you get in Rivers' face enough he'll throw picks.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

9. Post thanked by:

UltimateBillsFan (09-15-2014)

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

BUF is an early 2 point favorite per CBSSports:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/scoreboard/2014/week3
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,413 Times in 1,995 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It looks like the Chargers are 5-8 in east coast games over the previous 3 seasons. 2 of those wins were against the lowly Jags. Chargers don't seem to play as well when they have to travel to the east coast, so that seems like a legit advantage.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    It looks like the Chargers are 5-8 in east coast games over the previous 3 seasons. 2 of those wins were against the lowly Jags. Chargers don't seem to play as well when they have to travel to the east coast, so that seems like a legit advantage.
    Could be.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This looks like a charger's loss. They are feeling good after beating Seattle, now they have to travel all the way to the east coast to play an emotial and undefeated team in their house? Not ideal for them. Last time they came was during our 4-0 stretch with Edwards and we beat them in Buffalo. I will be shocked if they can score 20 points against us Sunday, and if we keep them under 20 there is no reason we shouldn't win.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Wagon Circler View Post
    This looks like a charger's loss. They are feeling good after beating Seattle, now they have to travel all the way to the east coast to play an emotial and undefeated team in their house? Not ideal for them. Last time they came was during our 4-0 stretch with Edwards and we beat them in Buffalo. I will be shocked if they can score 20 points against us Sunday, and if we keep them under 20 there is no reason we shouldn't win.
    That was 6 years ago...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Chargers are dominate on 3rd downs. I think they were 10/17 last week against the Seahawks. Any offense having 17 3rd down situations is just unreal, but to win that battle 10 times against the Seahawks D really says something.

The Bills D will be tested this week and most specifically in the air. They have got to shut down that crease and Antonio Gates. And the 12th man is absolutely necessary again this week to help make this win happen.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 09-16-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    That was 6 years ago...
    And? That's the last time they came here. They lost.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And? That's the last time they came here. They lost.

And?

Tons of personnel changes, tons of rule changes. Coaching changes. How can a loss 6 years ago bubble up as a factor today?
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 09-16-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And?

Tons of personnel changes, tons of rule changes. Coaching changes. How can a loss 6 years ago bubble up as a factor today?
    Because they don't travel well. Keep up.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because they don't travel well. Keep up.
    Does BUF travel better than SD? Go hunt it down so you can keep up. Report back.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Does BUF travel better than SD? Go hunt it down so you can keep up. Report back.
    Moot point we aren't travelling this week. Next.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I actually don't like the match up which could spell trouble for the Bills for this game (just remember, the Bears have more talent than the Bills but we match up well against them. The turnovers changed everything. Miami is simply not as talented as us, evident by the fact that both team plays to their capabilities and we are beating them - turnovers are non factor last week).

The Chargers don't have a conventional runnig attack, more trickery, inside handoff, delay etc. with slippery guys like Woodhead. Their offensive line hassome size that matched up well against Seahawks' big D Line last week. Rivers moves in the pocket a lot (not a lot of distance) to buy time to throw and the Bills D line always hastrouble with this kind of QB. The Bills can handle big size WR now but Gates at TE is still one of a kind that is difficult to handle one on one and he seems to be healthy and hot right now.

Their D is not flashy but solid. Interior D line is atheletic and fast which could mean trouble for Bills interior O-Line, especially Pears. The most important part is the veteran group and leadership of Rivers. Say what you say about Rivers being an a$$ and all, but he never gives up or backs down from anything, unlike Cutler or Tannerhill.

This is going to be a full 60 minute contest like Chicago, I'm afraid. My opinion is that the Bills offense needs to make a step forward this Sunday - sustain more drives at least. By that I don't mean just EJ moves forward. But the running game really needs to get into a groove. I don't think the Bills werer running the ball in Miami game aside from Spillers' 47 yard run. They need to really step up this week.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-16-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Moot point we aren't travelling this week. Next.
    For some reason, you can't discuss comments without snidness, can't deal with the fact that this is a discussion forum, and like to end your words with some sort of smarmy dismissal. Or some polemic against the other Wagon Circler.

See ya.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Chargers lost to AZ
    Yes..... thanks for the correction!