View Poll Results: Was Sammys first NFL TD legit or a fumble?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Touchdown - he had the required control of the ball before it hit the pylon

37 71.15%
  • Fumble - ball was moving and he never full regained control before the pylon

15 28.85%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Was Sammy's TD really a TD or was it a fumble?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,098 Times in 3,577 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Was Sammy's TD really a TD or was it a fumble?

Quote Originally Posted by gebobs View Post
    LOL...I just picked three games that had good examples. There are momentum shifts of varying magnitude in every game. Are you even more clueless about football than politics? Is it possible?

Anyone that has ever played or watched the game knows that momentum is key and games swing on it all the time. To assert that some particular game, your game, is somehow immune to that reality is mere had waving. That's sort of par for the course for you so not so surprising.
    Maybe we should do a poll on it? But no, you'd conveniently ignore/dismiss it, like you do polls about a certain special someone.

You seem to think that strongly asserting opinions makes them fact. You should be a preacher.
    It's not an opinion. It's called observation and understanding physics. Something which you can't comprehend.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not exactly. What if when Spiller was showboating on his return TD, instead he decided to hold the ball out in front of himself as he crossed the 10 yard line, palm up. To the horror of Bills fans watching, we see the ball begin to roll off his hand. Replays show clearly that as the ball breaks the plane, it is perched precariously on the tip of his middle finger.

Though the ball is still touching his hand, does he have possession? No, I think not.
    This was a bang, bang play, he had a posession and a split second later lost his grip, and as previously posted the pylon is a vertical reprsentation of the goalline which he had crossed before this happened IMO.

One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park gebobs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 3,965 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Maybe we should do a poll on it? But no, you'd conveniently ignore/dismiss it, like you do polls about a certain special someone.
    Maybe you should just nut up and admit you were wrong. Thinking a safety was more likely than a Dolphins TD is asinine and stupid.

It's not an opinion. It's called observation and understanding physics. Something which you can't comprehend.
    Could you please learn me some physics, perfesser? LOL...I've forgotten more about physics than you'll ever know.
    Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Maybe you should just nut up and admit you were wrong. Thinking a safety was more likely than a Dolphins TD is asinine and stupid.

Could you please learn me some physics, perfesser? LOL...I've forgotten more about physics than you'll ever know.
    I tried to cook up a dot product joke but was unsuccessful...
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

What? Who the hell said anything about a safety? If the play had been (incorrectly) ruled a touchback, it would have been 16-10 and the Dols would have gotten the ball at the 20. Since they didn't score a single point after that play, the momentum actually never shifted. Maybe it might have, but what happened is it didn't. So there's nothing for me to admit I was wrong about.
    It's obvious you've forgotten a lot about physics. But don't pretend you know how much I still remember.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Seriously... I am a ref. This is easy. He extended his hand w the ball in it. Not hard. That is posession. He lost it when he hit the pylon. That is a TD. Gesh.

7. Post thanked by:

better days (09-19-2014),bleve (09-18-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

At any rate, I think it's fair to say the rush to PAT was a bit odd considering. I just watched the first three quarters again. I tried to watch that play and the ensuing replays from a Dolphins fan perspective. They showed a replay with a great view but his hand is moving too fast to see anything clearly. But if I was a Dollies fan, I'd be screaming fumble. And then they cut away and the Bills are lining up to kick. It was surprising.

That CBS officiating analyst is pretty lame.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Another thing I recalled having watched the game again is just how precarious the lead was when the fumble happened. Though the Spiller return quenched much of the momentum the Dolphins got after that amazing one-handed TD by Wallace, the Bills still were 0-fer-the-red zone, the offense had not been on the field at all the entire 3rd quarter prior to that drive, and the Dollies had ripped off two totaling 11 minutes of possession.

The Bills shoot another blank and turn the ball over in the process, the game could have easily gotten ugly for us. Instead, they went punt, downs, muff, downs, int. Loverly.

10. Post thanked by:

Meathead (09-19-2014),Topas (09-19-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The rule itself should be changed IMO.

If the Offense on the field is the last team to have possession of the football can anyone give me any logical reason why the football is given to the opposing team.

It makes no sense...

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Another thing I recalled having watched the game again is just how precarious the lead was when the fumble happened. Though the Spiller return quenched much of the momentum the Dolphins got after that amazing one-handed TD by Wallace, the Bills still were 0-fer-the-red zone, the offense had not been on the field at all the entire 3rd quarter prior to that drive, and the Dollies had ripped off two totaling 11 minutes of possession.

The Bills shoot another blank and turn the ball over in the process, the game could have easily gotten ugly for us.
    exactly. thats why it was such a huge freakin play, and would have been an even huger play if it had been called a fumble and given to the fish at the twenty. im happy with the call but thats now how i woulda called it. so whew
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

At any rate, I think it's fair to say the rush to PAT was a bit odd considering. I just watched the first three quarters again. I tried to watch that play and the ensuing replays from a Dolphins fan perspective. They showed a replay with a great view but his hand is moving too fast to see anything clearly. But if I was a Dollies fan, I'd be screaming fumble. And then they cut away and the Bills are lining up to kick. It was surprising.

That CBS officiating analyst is pretty lame.
    They could not kick the PAT until the play was reviewed, it was a quick review.

I have TIVO which has a great slow motion feature. I slowed the play down that was shown on game rewind & you could see #21 Brent Grimes get his hand in there to jar the ball loose.

Watkins got control of the ball again before it hit the pylon.

The best real time view I saw along with sounds of the game was on Inside the NFL on Showtime & NFL Network.

That had a great view of Watkins hand with the ball in it as it hit the pylon.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

I have TIVO which has a great slow motion feature. I slowed the play down that was shown on game rewind & you could see #21 Brent Grimes get his hand in there to jar the ball loose.

Watkins got control of the ball again before it hit the pylon.

The best real time view I saw along with sounds of the game was on Inside the NFL on Showtime & NFL Network.

That had a great view of Watkins hand with the ball in it as it hit the pylon.
    This. And surprisingly, not a lot of Miami fans had a problem with the call. I'm figuring that's because a) they know it was the right one +/- b) it wouldn't have made a difference to the outcome either way.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by dog14787 View Post
    The rule itself should be changed IMO.

If the Offense on the field is the last team to have possession of the football can anyone give me any logical reason why the football is given to the opposing team.

It makes no sense...
    The touchback rule? The point of the game is to maintain possession of the ball into the endzone, if it gets fumbled forwards across the goal line and out of play, why should the offense be rewarded with retaining possession?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    The touchback rule? The point of the game is to maintain possession of the ball into the endzone, if it gets fumbled forwards across the goal line and out of play, why should the offense be rewarded with retaining possession?
    Yeah, not sure it should be changed. I mean, where would you spot the ball?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You would spot it at the 20, and the rule is actually likely to be changed. It might be the dumbest one in sports.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by yordad View Post
    You would spot it at the 20, and the rule is actually likely to be changed. It might be the dumbest one in sports.
    So the team that fumbled the ball gets it back, but at the opponent's 20? Or their own? And has there been any talk about changing it?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    So the team that fumbled the ball gets it back, but at the opponent's 20? Or their own? And has there been any talk about changing it?
    The opponents 20. And yes, there have been talks of changing it.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here is an example of someone talking about it....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...from-the-bucs/

The talk I have heard on a high school level.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    That's the point. It was too quick. I'm not saying they made the wrong call, but it just seemed incongruous. Here you had a critical touchdown and a controversial result. And the PAT was kicked faster than if it was a Jerome Bettis slam through the line 5 deep into the end zone from a half yard out.