Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest improvement the Bills offense need going forward?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,376 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What is the biggest improvement the Bills offense need going forward?

One thing and one thing only if you can fix.

To me, it's not EJ a leap forward (we are winning with his current play until proven otherwise), not Red zone offense woe. It is consistent running game.

We are 31 in 1st down, low 3rd down conversion. getting more offensive plays run against us. To me, it goes back to running game. We have broken big plays on runs, but too many 0-2 yards carries, especially in Red Zone.

Chris Wiiliams and Pears improved the passing protection overall. But I believe w lose bit on guards running blocks. Hope they can improve in that regard.

SpikedLemonade

Re: What is the biggest improvement the Bills offense need going forward?

I agree.

The run blocking has not been good.

3. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (09-17-2014),swiper (09-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills need more Boobie in the red zone.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,468 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Or Summers.

Red zone though. You make make anything you want of it, EJ/receivers need step up, or the backs do, but they need touchdowns going forward if they mean to keep up with the big kids.

6. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (09-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who would have thought that the Bills greatest strength last year is their biggest weakness this year?

Even Fred Jackson acknowledged that the Bills passing game is ahead of the running attack.

CJ Spiller has been okay at running back, but not great.

Boobie Dixon deserves more carries.

Good problems....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Just ball movement and 1st downs. Keep the D off the field more.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

9. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Definitely the oline. Need more power up the middle, they still get no push on short yardage.

That will solve more than one issue on offense.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

11. Post thanked by:

mercyrule (09-16-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

An elite tight end.

13. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with the run blocking assessment. I think some of the play calling focuses on helping the pass blocking though. The qb option runs are slower developing runs. I think the lack of diversity in run calls allows LBs to penetrate more, but also leaves the middle of the field more open for the pass.

They are mixing up the runs with fake swing passes, bubble screens, and a few other things, but so far they've been handing it off the majority of the time. I'd like to see some single back quick hand offs to maximize Fred's ability to find creases in the line, but I won't complain too much as long as they keep expanding on the qb option.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,084 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pretty much all valid points so fart. I did notice alot of calls for Spiller to go up the gut which isn't his forte... Maybe we are saving the tosses in the flat for NE

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

red zone efficiency

17. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,438 Times in 7,062 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    An elite tight end.

this and run blocking.

Sab and TD are insignificant ublinkwescore's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,285 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we need touchdowns, not field goals. three tds instead of field goals against miami ='s 40 point performance on sunday.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ublinkwescore View Post
    we need touchdowns, not field goals. three tds instead of field goals against miami ='s 40 point performance on sunday.
    The ability to run the ball in the red zone is the key for this team. Team like NE is doing the opposite: the thread of Brady opens up so many rushing TDs down there.

Marrone admiited pretty much on Monday that the Bills' rushing average in Red Zone is 1 ypc. That is just down right atrocious. Of course this is an issue continued from last season. They may need run blocking better. But maybe they can give Dixon some carries to see if he can move the piles better than CJ and Jackson.

Even not in red zone, the fact the team not able to convert 3rd and 3 or shorter by run is alarming.

21. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Pretty much all valid points so fart. I did notice alot of calls for Spiller to go up the gut which isn't his forte... Maybe we are saving the tosses in the flat for NE
    This is the best typo ever.

23. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-17-2014),The last buffalo fan (09-17-2014),WagonCircler (09-17-2014)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,863 Times in 4,339 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ needs to hit those wide open receivers in stride which will turn FGs into Touchdowns.

It will also extend drives keeping our defense fresh.

25. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Everyone keeps saying that about Spiller but if you look at his splits from last year, he did most of his damage straight up the middle.

He had his most yards and biggest ypc avg there.

This season his biggest run was through the offensive line with a nice hole. He hasn't run particularly well otherwise.

Everyone keeps trying to blame the coaching, system, and plays for Spiller's lack of production, but maybe it's just Spiller.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    The ability to run the ball in the red zone is the key for this team. Team like NE is doing the opposite: the thread of Brady opens up so many rushing TDs down there.

Marrone admiited pretty much on Monday that the Bills' rushing average in Red Zone is 1 ypc. That is just down right atrocious. Of course this is an issue continued from last season. They may need run blocking better. But maybe they can give Dixon some carries to see if he can move the piles better than CJ and Jackson.

Even not in red zone, the fact the team not able to convert 3rd and 3 or shorter by run is alarming.
    What about passing in the red zone? You don't see that as an issue?

I thought that was why we signed Mike Williams, who incidentally hasn't done anything so far this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    They need more SchAAA-wing in the red zone.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    What about passing in the red zone? You don't see that as an issue?

I thought that was why we signed Mike Williams, who incidentally hasn't done anything so far this season.

- - - Updated - - -

They need more SchAAA-wing in the red zone.
    I think you are one of those made up mind on EJ already so I have been avoid you on this forum - no one needs to waste time hatching a stone to chicken.

But I want to point out that I watched first hand the whole development of Roethlisberger from 2004 on where I thought Cowher and his staff was instrumental in the development big Ben and I'm sure Whaley will be 100% more intimate with the entire process. I admit I was one of those thought the Steelers made a big mistake taking Roethlisberger in the 1st round (in hindsight, he should be 1st overall).

Roethlisberger was not supposed to start, but injury to Tommy Maddox forced Ben into service for 14 games, practically a season (if you count the two playoff games). The Steelers went 15-1. Ben averaged 21 passes, 1.1TD, 0.8 INT a game. The Steelers offense scored 36 TDs, Ben threw 17. Bettis alone had 13 TDs rushing from close range.

You can easily see that Ben was in "game manager" mold then. But the Steelers, led by Bettis, was a threat to run the ball every time in Red zone. Inside 10? Everyone knew Bettis was getting the ball and opponent could not stop, leading to many easy play action TD passes from Ben.

Now fast forward to 2014, no one has patience any more. You guys are comparing EJ to Manning, to Luck, to Brady. EJ needs to throw long and wide, needs to shred defense to pieces, needs to score TD every time in red zone. I just don't have that expectation. I just want him NOT to lose games for the Bills which was exactly what Whaley and Marrone set out to do this year.

"What he did is not good enough facing Chargers or other good teams." I heard that 10 years ago in Pittsburgh. Guess what, let him play and see if he can or not. If I remember correctly, that was exactly the words Cowher answered one of the reporter in one of his presser then. I laugh at those in Buffalo media said about Bills current formula won't be good enough to beat good teams. Kansas City went 7-1 with this formula. Whaley sure remembered the Steelers went 15-1 10 years ago with the same formula, and then next year to a superbowl win.

EJ is EJ; Ben is Ben. I'm not comparing them. Just the approach to use them.

Like the 2004 Steelers, Marrone wants to run the ball in 2014. But that's where I see disappointment - not only we don't have a future HOF Bettis on the roster, our offensive line cannot even help converting short yardage.

On D, if we had Kiko Alonzo on the field this season, I'd be tempted to compare our 2014 defense to the 2004 Steelers D.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 09-17-2014 at 01:36 PM.

29. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I agree.

The run blocking has not been good.
    The biggest problem has been the running game in the red zone. Too many 2nd and 8s etc to be effective. O Line just can't see to get enough push. I think they may need to get creative in the red zone as pounding the rock does not seem to work with this line.

31. Post thanked by: