Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the Difference?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: What's the Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    doesnt feel different at all

fact is, every season you have two-ish teams that are really good and two-ish that are really bad. for the other twenty-eight teams its really all about good old fashioned luck. how many injuries do you have compared to your opponents and at what positions? did you win a couple of key replay reviews in a row or lose them? did that ball go two inches to the left or two inches to the right?

we pretend like our team either willed themselves to victory or stood around watching the other team do it. but really, for those middle pack teams its just a big huge dice roll. and just like dice you can roll a bunch of sevens in a row or a whole boatload of craps

just gotta wait and see which one it is
    I'd change the numbers a bit, but otherwise I agree. Really there isn't much difference between the teams that go 10-6 and the teams that go 6-10. Some luck, injuries, coaching decisions and mental toughness is about the only difference.

2. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know if there is a differene yet. I like to think there is, but I have thought that before too. Certainly there are positive signs - the defense is doing its job. They played a good team on the road in week 1 and won the game, even after losing a lead. They played an emotionally charged game in week 2 and did not wilt.

They certainly seem to have more actual talent. They are not starting guys that were picked up as street free agents all over the place. There is a mix of youth and experience. They can produce in some key areas like the pass rush. The offense is not making dumb mistakes.

that being said a collapse is still very possible. What if the offense starts to turn the ball over? What if the defense stops making sacks and ints?

The next few weeks are huge. Can they come off this week's win and beat a good San Diego team? Can they go to Houston and beat a team that they "should" beat? Then New England comes here. Imagine the atmosphere if the Pats come here to play a 4-0 Bills team?

We all know it could be a 2-2 team too.

Right now they are doing the small things the good teams do. If they keep it up they can win 8-10 games.

Meaningful football in December would be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

4. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (09-17-2014),Meathead (09-17-2014),OpIv37 (09-17-2014),The last buffalo fan (09-17-2014),YardRat (09-17-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 712 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    We'll see if there's more balance in the coming weeks. I don't think that there is. I think that Manuel's still the same Manuel and the newness of Watkins hasn't worn off yet and seen the reality that he's not going to be superman hit here yet. Equally concerning to Watkins' first 100-yard game should be Woods and Williams combining for 2 catches for 8 yards.

The defense had trouble stopping the run in the only game in which we faced a decent RB, so that's TBD too, but since it was supposed to be the strength of our D it should be cause for concern. The fact that we shut down Lamar Miller and an undrafted rookie free agent doesn't say much.

Neither does allowing over 400 yards offense to Chicago and a grand second half to Miami with 228 net yards and 17 1st downs. So really we've played 2 or 3 quarters of good defense.

This is the post you've been waiting for, isn't it.

Have at it.

A. I can't wait for the team to lose. Check
    B. I care more about being right than about my own team winning. Check
    C. The Bills really aren't my team. Check
    D. I said something in there that makes it impossible for some posters to not see that it wasn't a personal insult. Check
    There are valid points here.

We played well overall but there are a lot of dips in the game both on offense and defense that indicate possible future struggles.

We barely touched Tannehill in the second half when we really should have been able to pressure him a lot seeing as how we were leading.

Against Chicago we were fortunate Trestman didn't realize he should have run the ball a lot more. Had he done that we would have been in trouble.

Our offense had 3 redzone trips in the first quarter and a bit and came away with 3 FGs. If the D didn't completely shut down Miami in the first half we could have been losing despite having incredible field position compared to them and multiple redzone trips.

All that being said, the defense did enough to win and Manuel did enough to win. I think for us to make the playoffs our D will have to be Baltimore-like because Manuel is not yet ready to put up big numbers in the redzone and we will settle for FGs a lot.

6. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (09-17-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are a few things that are different. The first is that the teams the Bills have beaten have looked like genuine contenders in the other games they have played.

Secondly, the Bills have more talent than I can remember for a long time, in every facet of the game.

Most importantly, football is won and lost in the trenches. There isn't a better DL in the league, and the OL has been very impressive especially in the passing game against what is considered to be a talented Dolphins DL. The Bills will win more than they lose, simply because both lines will beat the everloving **** out of the opposition.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dujek View Post
    There are a few things that are different. The first is that the teams the Bills have beaten have looked like genuine contenders in the other games they have played.

Secondly, the Bills have more talent than I can remember for a long time, in every facet of the game.

Most importantly, football is won and lost in the trenches. There isn't a better DL in the league, and the OL has been very impressive especially in the passing game against what is considered to be a talented Dolphins DL. The Bills will win more than they lose, simply because both lines will beat the everloving **** out of the opposition.
    I'd hold off on that until they come up against a club with a strong, determined ground game and/or strong passing team with above average qb and OL.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

9. Post thanked by:

Mahdi (09-17-2014),The last buffalo fan (09-17-2014)

The Voice of Reason ServoBillieves's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 607 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    I'd hold off on that until they come up against a club with a strong, determined ground game and/or strong passing team with above average qb and OL.
    I guess Cutler is below average and Matt Forte is a joke as well, so you're right. We play 3 teams this year with those parameters, the Chargers, Broncos, and Packers. Maybe the Lions? I'm not attacking I'm asking which team is the litmus test as to the mettle of Williams x2, Dareus, Hughes, Lawson and Wynn.
    Bye Bye Brady...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by stuckincincy View Post
    The Bears don't fall into that category?

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dujek View Post
    The Bears don't fall into that category?
    Perhaps, but for reasons unknown they decided to toss 31 passes in the 2nd half. Cutler has a temper and is known to let his ego take over. Someone mentioned that Cutler reminded him of Jeff George and I agree.

MIA's RB Moreno, who had a nice game in beating NE, only got 1 carry before injury sat him down.

SD is 1 and 1, the loss being a one-pointer against AZ. SD lost their top RB. But Rivers makes their remaining backs better.

This will be a good test for BUF, and they will have the advantage of a home crowd.

One recommendation I have is that Rivers is good in moving the ball late in the game and taking advantage of a prevent scheme by hitting the sidelines. Well, that's my opinion.

I'd be careful about blitzing if the choice is between a tying fg and a winning touchdown.

13. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (09-17-2014)

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
    I don't know if there is a differene yet. I like to think there is, but I have thought that before too. Certainly there are positive signs - the defense is doing its job. They played a good team on the road in week 1 and won the game, even after losing a lead. They played an emotionally charged game in week 2 and did not wilt.

They certainly seem to have more actual talent. They are not starting guys that were picked up as street free agents all over the place. There is a mix of youth and experience. They can produce in some key areas like the pass rush. The offense is not making dumb mistakes.

that being said a collapse is still very possible. What if the offense starts to turn the ball over? What if the defense stops making sacks and ints?

The next few weeks are huge. Can they come off this week's win and beat a good San Diego team? Can they go to Houston and beat a team that they "should" beat? Then New England comes here. Imagine the atmosphere if the Pats come here to play a 4-0 Bills team?

We all know it could be a 2-2 team too.

Right now they are doing the small things the good teams do. If they keep it up they can win 8-10 games.

Meaningful football in December would be awesome

3-1 would be exciting too
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's really too difficult to tell at this point and too exhausting to dissect.

Again, I'm cautiously optimistic, but if this team does in fact beat the Chargers this week, it will be very difficult to just shrug off a 3-0 record with wins against the Bears in Chicago, a division rival, and the supercharged SD offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We won't know if it's 'real' this time or not until well into the season. I remain cautiously optimistic and hope for the best, while acknowledging that the worst can still happen.

That being said, some of the things I like about this team...

I like what Whaley and Co have done to build the roster, although admittedly not 100% sold on the wisdom of all of their moves. I absolutely love that this front office appears to actually be on the same page as many armchair GM's. Often in the past, 'we' think we know what the team needs and who the team should target only to see the front office go in a different direction on players and/or positions. 'We' know they need veteran, quality depth at corner, and they get one. 'We' know they need run-stuffing help at MLB, and they get one. 'We' know they need upgrades at the skill positions on offense, they get some. 'We' know they need a vet back-up at QB, they get one. The list can go on.

I like how the team is built. Despite many's contention that winning starts and ends with a franchise QB, it's too much of a historical fact that games are won in the trenches, and championships by defense. This team is at least trying to build a dominant defense, and offense that revolves around the running game, or being able to win the battle in the trenches. This can be a fun team to watch for my preferences, if they can continue to upgrade and improve in both areas.

I like the depth. We appear to be stacked at many positions, and any dropoff in talent that we've grown accustomed to over the last 15 years isn't as drastic as it used to be. Having a Graham available to step in, as opposed to a Brooks, when Gilmore or McKelvin can't go is huge.

Is it too early to proclaim we are 'there' or this season is going to be different? Absolutely. Does the team still have areas of concern, and flaws, and positions that need upgrading? Definite 'Yes'. Could the wheels fall off again? Yes. But, regardless of the eventual outcome of this season, so far I like the direction we are heading and I am going to enjoy the ride.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

17. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (09-17-2014),The last buffalo fan (09-17-2014)

I'm right, Miyagi is wrong. HAMMER's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There is a difference,
    -New Coaches
    -New Players
    That's a lot of differences. Approx 60 or so.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Been saying since the offseason: I don't agree with all the moves the FO or coaches make, but they have upgraded the talent on this team. Not entirely sold on the coaches, but I like the offensive plays better this season. Defense is playing much better.

Whatever happens this season, I really, really wish it could have been with Alonso on the field.

I still don't know if it's playoff-worthy, but this team hung with Chicago on the road and dominated Miami at home. I think it will be an interesting season.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think overall talent and depth are better right now than 2011 or 2008. Gailey even admitted that a lot of their early success in 2011 was "smoke and mirrors."

I think another important difference is that the AFC just isn't that strong right now. Outside of the Denver Broncos there's really not another team in the AFC that looks really good. They're all flawed and beatable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Roster depth
    10 Commandments of the D
    1. Never stop Rocking.
    2. Legalize all drugs.
    3. Quit your day job.
    4. All Religion should be taxed.
    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
    6. F**k her gently.
    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This is the best D we've had since the last time we made the playoffs...by far.

I never like the " we should win.." proclamations, since the NFL is a whole new book every week.

We'll lose games. But this team doesn't look emotionally fragile and can rebound if key injuries don't crush them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I think a big reason why the 2008 and 2011 teams failed was that they were one dimensional on O. Once other teams figured out what they were doing, they were unable to adjust.

Is this team different? I really don't know. They have more talent than those earlier teams at the skill positions, but it depends on EJ and the OL continuing to play well and the coaches being creative enough to keep the offense evolving once other teams figure out what they are doing.

The D will be fine as long as the O can stay on the field.

Great point. I know that for me at least, in 2011 it was nice that we started off scoring over 30pts a game. However the black cloud hanging over for me was that the defense was giving up just as many. The writing was on the walls for me....

How is this season different? We went into Chicago to open things up and held arguably the best offensive team in football to 20pts and beat them in OT. This same Bears team that went into San Fran on Sunday night football and hung 28 on the 49ers defense, who many believe to be among the leagues best while beating them in the first game in their new stadium!

We also pretty handedly beat down a Miami team that beat down a popular superbowl pick in New England. Hanging 29 on a pretty damn good defensive football team while all but shutting down a rushing attack that gave NE fits is nice. So two early wins over teams that have beaten NE and San Fran is pretty nice.

That little black cloud? The red zone offense. However I don't think it's as dark of a cloud as our defense giving up 30 a game was in 2011. We are driving the field and the plays are there to be made. We have had some near misses that the offense needs to capitalize on. Whether they can start doing that is going to determine how good this team will be.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    I'd change the numbers a bit, but otherwise I agree. Really there isn't much difference between the teams that go 10-6 and the teams that go 6-10. Some luck, injuries, coaching decisions and mental toughness is about the only difference.
    Then how come none of our last three 6-10 seasons werw 10-6 or even 8-8?

Wouldn't you ahve to argue then too that there's not that much difference between a 6-10 season and a 2-14 one?

Just throwing that out there. Seems like every year people make this argument but we never seem to have luck, injuries, coaching decisions and mental toughness fall on our side. That has to be coincidence for most of the last 12 years then.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    This is the best D we've had since the last time we made the playoffs...by far.
    Based on two games, one of whiich was Miami?

A bit premature isn't it.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,689 Times in 8,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Based on two games, one of whiich was Miami?

A bit premature isn't it.
    What did Miami do in week one?