Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Proposal on Domestic Violence in the NFL

Without me it's just Awe so The King's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,748 Times in 1,830 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My Proposal on Domestic Violence in the NFL

I think I have spent everyday discussing the domestic violence issue his with co-workers. It's on everyone's mind and it's clear the NFL hasn't a clue what to do. Here's what I think is the best practice for organizations dealing with this issue.

1. This is handled in house until a guilty verdict or plea deal is met.

Meaning it's up to the owner of the franchise needs to sit down with the player decide whether or not it's in the teams best interest to put him on the field. If the owner decides to sideline the player it should be with full pay.

2. If the player is found guilty or settles on lesser charges the NFL may now levy a suspension & fine.
    Time served under bullet 1 is excluded here. The players fine for a case in domestic abuse should be 25% of their salary. If the player is suspended for 4 games than it would be 25% of the salary for each of those games donated to a charity which helps abused women and children.

3. If the player is found to be innocent.
    They may return to work.

4. If a team has a player enter the NFL's substance abuse program or a domestic abuse program there needs to be a fine levy'd to the owners.
    It's time we make teams really think about taking chances on guys with a past. Any repeat offenders not only get fined and suspended but the team should be hit as well.

We need to allow the NFL to gather all the evidence before making any decisions. In the case of Ray Rice who the hell knows what happened with that tape, but if the NFL allowed everything to come out they could've issued an appropriate suspension and while there would still be backlash the punishment would've at least been just.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: My Proposal on Domestic Violence in the NFL

the NFL's issue in this is that they have allowed goodell to be a dictator on punishment. and he has never had any precedent when he does it. he even bungled the new orleans situation and needed tagliabue to come back and fix it.

HAd the NFL simply had your basic guidelines above, king, and a 3 man team to review punishment (former player, former staff) and let them make decisions on punishment and make the punishment consistent, the nfl wouldn't be looked down on in the case of ray rice. codify the punishments so that the players can't appeal the decision. if they had a set of rules on how they dealt with punishment, right now it would only be about ray rice. but instead the NFL is in the middle of this because of poor leadership.

Instead the NFL reviewed it secretly by one man, no one knows what that one man knew and why he made the decision he made, then PR from new tapes is to suspend rice indefiniately with little precedent. Then peterson comes through, and again they just overreach. at some point, it would be worth having a bogus story in a big game just to have that guy shamed out before any facts are collected. Goodell is responsible for this. he's got to go before any other details of how they are going to deal with punishment come forth.

Just my two cents.

this is what happens when people power trip. goodell has for a number of years and he hasn't handled

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I totally agree. I actually think the owners should be involved somehow in issues the suspensions. Give them a 1/3 vote, the more control we put in the hands of the owners the further we will get from players who get into this kind of trouble.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's stuff like this that's ruining professional football. There's much more news about what's going on off the field and unrelated to what's going on on the field. It's that stupid 24 hour news cycle that has to constantly find something to report. Fooball is not even about football anymore.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think it is impossible to have a blanket domestic violence policy. That phrase is used to describe anything from a one time exchange of an otherwise happy couple to a continued pattern of abuse that leads to a murder and everything imaginable in between. There is a huge stigma, rightfully so under certain circumstances, associated with the phrase. I think that the facts of the case need to be the dictating factor of how the matter is dealt with, not the phrase "domestic violence arrest."
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If Michael Sam beats up another gay football player with whom he's in a relationship with, would it be consider domestic violence ??

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It would be.

Lecter and Fletch's discussions are borderline DV too ...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    If Michael Sam beats up another gay football player with whom he's in a relationship with, would it be consider domestic violence ??
    Yes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by casdhf View Post
    I think it is impossible to have a blanket domestic violence policy. That phrase is used to describe anything from a one time exchange of an otherwise happy couple to a continued pattern of abuse that leads to a murder and everything imaginable in between. There is a huge stigma, rightfully so under certain circumstances, associated with the phrase. I think that the facts of the case need to be the dictating factor of how the matter is dealt with, not the phrase "domestic violence arrest."
    That's what I have tried to take out of it. It's up to the team until the legal process takes place. If it's random out of the blue charge, you can let them play until they're charged. That's what's happening in SF right now. If it's rape, murder or whatever you can cut ties all together, but it's the franchise that's taking the heat.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree but there is no pleasing everyone.

Two drunks that slap each other lumped in with the Belcher/Hardy type incidents, to me, does an incredible injustice to the victims of the latter.

However, as these things unfold, crazy people want them all treated the same.

The NFL will never appease them.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would be interested to hear if Goodell is actually making these decisions alone... or after he caucuses with the NFL owners.

12. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    Yes.
    Would one of them be considered the "wife" & get extra sympathy, even if the wife won the fight ?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Would one of them be considered the "wife" & get extra sympathy, even if the wife won the fight ?
    I watch COPS every weekend, and this has come up many times. I am not sure if they need to be considered a wife but there's always an inferior opponent in these scenarios.

15. Post thanked by:

Skooby (09-18-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i think it's important to have a former player in the committee of deciding punishments. this way the players know that they have some kind of indirect representation.

and as sad as it is, the NFL needs to put up some statements about what they want from their employees. "we will not tolerate XYZ" and let the players know, if you are caught drunk driving:

1. we review the facts known
    2. wait for the legal process to play out
    3. you may face harsher penalties than what legal has determined by our by laws and that penalty will be determined by a committee that is trying to codify how punishment is handled. you will be treated fairly within NFL standards.

by having a sense of oversight, i think it becomes clear and leaves the NFL less vulnerable to just having knee jerk reactions when players do dumb things.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,391 Times in 7,274 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's an interesting question. If he beat up that scrawny little boy he was kissing on draft day yes. If he beat up another football player as you asked I'm not sure. Which one is bigger?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    That's an interesting question. If he beat up that scrawny little boy he was kissing on draft day yes. If he beat up another football player as you asked I'm not sure. Which one is bigger?
    What if the little boy had 5 black belts & won ?

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The larger, stronger person in a relationship can still be the victim of domestic violence, MMD. Case in point: Steve McNair.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    The larger, stronger person in a relationship can still be the victim of domestic violence, MMD. Case in point: Steve McNair.
    If they're both guys & the little one beats up the big one, is it domestic violence for the big football guy or is he the victim of the other smaller male ?

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Every player signed a contract that has a moral clause in it, that each team can or the NFL can discipline, fine, or kick off the team and league. Each player signed it I'm assuming not many read it. In the case of Ray Rice, if we let the legal system play out, they gave him anger management classes. Disgusting. So the NFL should adhere to that? The NFL (just like your employer would), should rid themselves of the scumbags that are ruining the image of the game we all love. No they do not have to wait for the legal system to play out. If his girlfriend and/or wife has black eyes, concussions, black and blue marks all over her body, or a recent hospital stay, or a video showing him knocking the **** out of her, screw him.
    Last edited by imbondz; 09-18-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If they're both guys & the little one beats up the big one, is it domestic violence for the big football guy or is he the victim of the other smaller male ?
    The size is not the issue. Is one person performing violence on someone else in an intimate or family relationship? If yes, then it's domestic violence. You are hung up on trying to find these weird exceptions for some reason.

Was it domestic violence when a large man punched out Snooki in a bar?