Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Massive Cover Up-Goodell and the Ravens FO need to swing for this....

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,516 Times in 4,889 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Massive Cover Up-Goodell and the Ravens FO need to swing for this....

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    How did WWE not only not lose viewers and sponsors after admitting that they are completely fixed, but became bigger than ever and started beating MNF in ratings? And I'm not even talking about out-and-out fixing like what occurs in WWE. I'm talking having refs conveniently miss calls that impact plays. Like ignoring that false start by the Dols' RT James on 4th and 3. Or picking up that holding flag on the Bears' game-tying TD drive.

When it comes to money, there's no tinfoil hat needed. Hell companies put out, and continue to sell, products that they know can kill people, just to make a buck, and only recall them if the cost of the potential lawsuits outweighs the cost of the recall. The NFL merely fixing games doesn't even come close to rising to that level.
    Well, if the WWE did beat MNF in the past, they sure as hell aren't beating them now. Ever since MNF moved to ESPN, it regularly beats WWE in ratings. Partly because they're on cable now(not on broadcast TV as they have been in the past), partly because the WWE product has become blah in recent years-they're content to push veteran/old stars instead of younger wrestlers.

As for wrestling: It's always been acknowledged that storylines are pre-determined. This is nothing new. And as far as missing calls, officials are human. They're going to miss stuff.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Well, if the WWE did beat MNF in the past, they sure as hell aren't beating them now. Ever since MNF moved to ESPN, it regularly beats WWE in ratings. Partly because they're on cable now(not on broadcast TV as they have been in the past), partly because the WWE product has become blah in recent years-they're content to push veteran/old stars instead of younger wrestlers.

As for wrestling: It's always been acknowledged that storylines are pre-determined. This is nothing new. And as far as missing calls, officials are human. They're going to miss stuff.
    There was always suspicion that WWE was fixed, but no proof until McMahon came out and admitted it. And regardless of WWE beating MNF now ("The Rock" leaving took a huge following with him), the point is that it didn't get hurt after McMahon admitted it was fixed. The NFL relies on storylines as well. And yes, the refs are human, which is the excuse given for missing/ignoring calls.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Okay, maybe not...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff1220 View Post
    This could all workout in our favor. They need a feelgood story, one that takes the focus off the power and corruption in the league. We all know that flag (and no-calls) are called to help certain teams. Maybe we will finally get to be on the receiving end of some of the NFL's doctoring of games. Maybe the Bills - the small-market Bills with the HOF ex-QB who beat cancer that are staying put thanks to new ownership and looking like and NFL team for a change - are the all-American feel-good story that the league has chosen to ride out as an attempted distraction to all this ugliness. Just a thought. I'll take off my foil hat now.

4. Post thanked by:

imbondz (09-21-2014)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,516 Times in 4,889 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    There was always suspicion that WWE was fixed, but no proof until McMahon came out and admitted it. And regardless of WWE beating MNF now ("The Rock" leaving took a huge following with him), the point is that it didn't get hurt after McMahon admitted it was fixed. The NFL relies on storylines as well. And yes, the refs are human, which is the excuse given for missing/ignoring calls.
    Noted, but as I said earlier, what's hurting WWE more is that they aren't building for the future by grooming new wrestlers to take the veterans' place. As far as the storytelling goes, right now it is beyond stupid-even by pro wrestling standards(which isn't saying much). Earlier on, I asked why risk the league's cred and fix games? Right now the league's credibility is such that it can't fight its way out of a paper bag. That will hurt your bottom line more than allegations of rigging a game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    While we're at it, can we reopen the investigation of Spygate? I'm sure there was all kinds of coverups there too.
    We can't because he burned the tapes unless there are unknown copies out there. It was as big of a scandal as the 1919 Black Sox so the NFL had to sweep it under the rug to protect their brand. Fans would have left in droves had the real evidence and story come out.