Thread: gameballs and goats

Thanks
    Thanked 30,558 Times in 17,442 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: gameballs and goats

Balls--

FJax and CJ

Goats--

Offensive line---they got owned, almost every play, all day.
    Schwartz---his D got schooled
    EJ---I agree with whoever noted his worst game since Pittsburgh

All in all, the entire team played un-inspired for the vast majority of the game...and that's on the players, not the coaches.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Balls--

FJax and CJ

Goats--

Offensive line---they got owned, almost every play, all day.
    Schwartz---his D got schooled
    EJ---I agree with whoever noted his worst game since Pittsburgh

All in all, the entire team played un-inspired for the vast majority of the game...and that's on the players, not the coaches.
    Spiller had 10 carries for 25 yards. No game ball for him. I don't care about his 3 catches. They weren't enough.

3. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like the way Spiller is running this season, a little bit of Freddie seems to have rubbed off. If he was 10 for 25 and trading off 8-10 yard gains with 4-6 yard losses because of consistent bounce-outs I'd agree.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Well I think it may be time to step back and take out the defense/ST plays that put them over the top (in earlier games) and analyze just what Manuel is giving you (Bills) in a given game. It's like a single TD.
    Well sure if you stop them enough and run well enough, maybe 2. He hasn't thrown for 300 yards yet ever, and 300 yards is coin of the realm in the modern game. He only ever so far threw more than 250 once, in his second game. Thing that bugs me worse than him not ever having thrown for 300, is that they seem to want him to throw for less than 200. That's just not the modern game. He's completed more than 25 passes once in his 12 game career. That's not confidence in your starter.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree he's running harder. I agree it looks like Jackson has rubbed off on him. I do like the way he puts his shoulder down into a defender and slugged out an extra yard or two.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like the way Spiller is running this season, a little bit of Freddie seems to have rubbed off. If he was 10 for 25 and trading off 8-10 yard gains with 4-6 yard losses because of consistent bounce-outs I'd agree.
    And then they ran him into the line with a critical yard at stake though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    And then they ran him into the line with a critical yard at stake though.
    Our O-line has been average at best this season. Sidenote: I'd like to see us is use Watkins like the Seahawks use Percy Harvin.

9. Post thanked by:

Mace (09-21-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Goats:

EJ- very bad, period
    Swartz's def scheme- I miss Pettine
    Chris Williams- does he get hurt every game he plays??
    Gilmore- not good at all
    Pass protection
    Coaching staff as a whole- bad dec's, bad game plan, and poor overall execution
    Penalties- I am still seeing yellow

Gameballs:

Marquise Goodwin- for coming back after getting rocked.
    Fred Jackson- solid every week. Wish we had more like him
    Carpenter- dude is money
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

11. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (09-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Our O-line has been average at best this season. Sidenote: I'd like to see us is use Watkins like the Seahawks use Percy Harvin.
    Well to be honest it was sort of supposed to be a fast offense using fast people. Goodwin and Spiller are in there too, why aren't they throwing a lot to Mike Williams more or running Dixon and Summers harder to bang them up with some thunder before the lightning ? Well, probably because if you throw behind a fast wee guy he gets creamed and if you fall behind so surely you don't have time to beat people up enough to hurt them with fast. The sky is not falling yet but they'd sort of better learn stuff now or it will never pay off later.

I'm not really sure why I know this stuff even and they have jobs doing it but don't, but hey, they know better than I do every year and for the love of God just do the obvious sometimes like run a fullback behind your behemoths for a couple yards. Wow, revolutionary.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by elltrain22 View Post
    Politely disagree. Chargers RB Brown has 31 carries for 62 yards. Against Pettine, it would have been 162 yards, minimum. Too much all or nothing with no run D. Blitz and pray D only works for short spurts.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Politely disagree. Chargers RB Brown has 31 carries for 62 yards. Against Pettine, it would have been 162 yards, minimum. Too much all or nothing with no run D. Blitz and pray D only works for short spurts.
    Politely also disagree, Rivers would have been laying looking up at the sky more often, been more afraid of lingering in the pocket and certainly not thought to flee the pocket to show his running skills. Schwartz does not aggressively blitz ever.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Good point. Very debatable, but I think our defensive personal this year, as opposed to last year, is better equipped to stop the run.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by elltrain22 View Post
    Giving up big plays today reminded me of last years Pettine D

Thanks
    Thanked 7,575 Times in 6,134 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Goat of the game .. The defense we couldn't cover or stop anybody. (3rd down efficiency WTF)
    28**60**128**133**144**160**163**200**204**248

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The corners really didn't play that badly yesterday, Rivers only completed 8 passes to WR's all day. Two were the 49 yard heaves to Floyd (his only catches, and more likely at least partially the safeties fault for not getting deep to help), and two were the short TD's to Royal (good play design, that's going to happen). By and large, for the most part, the WR's were a non-factor for most of the game. Obviously Schwartz's plan was to take Gates out of the equation, which they did...and that puts CB's in more 1 on 1 with less help from LBers or safeties.

Just a swing in one or two plays (a non-call on a drive extending penalty, a quicker stop on third and long that was a dump off or scramble, anything at all from the Bills offense) and the outcome could have been very different.

19. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (09-22-2014)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,298 Times in 15,446 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It looked like last year's defense...stuff them on first, short gain on second....give up third and long.

And I disagree with the outcome theory, Rat. The score was not indicative of how lopsided the game was.

The D had to be tired. What was the time of possession number?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like the way Spiller is running this season, a little bit of Freddie seems to have rubbed off.
    You do? You're satisfied with that?

He's averaging 4.0 ypc, has no TDs, and the team can't use him on 3rd downs because he sucks on them.

That's acceptable to you? It's all below average.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    It looked like last year's defense...stuff them on first, short gain on second....give up third and long.

And I disagree with the outcome theory, Rat. The score was not indicative of how lopsided the game was.

The D had to be tired. What was the time of possession number?
    TOP was fairly even... 31:34 for SD, 28:26 for BUF.

BUF had the edge the 4th - 8:28 to 6:32.

Lousy 4th qtr possessions for both clubs:

BUF: punt, downs, punt, safety, downs.
    SD: punt, punt, punt, punt, punt.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamece...F_Gamebook.pdf
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

23. Post thanked by:

YardRat (09-22-2014)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It was like watching the hawks/chargers game
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Well I think it may be time to step back and take out the defense/ST plays that put them over the top (in earlier games) and analyze just what Manuel is giving you (Bills) in a given game. It's like a single TD.
    It may be too early in the season to talk sense to these guys.

Some other interesting info. It was supposed to be our passing game that was going to change our offense this season. For some perspective, everyone here talked about how horrible Cleveland's WRs were, but Hawkins and Austin have more catches and more TDs than all of our WRs combined. Not sure that anyone's realized it, but the only 3 WRs on the team that have even caught a pass are Watkins, Woods, and Williams. Williams hasn't done much of anything.

This is not just smacking of a FAIL, it's strongly hinting at an epic fail for Whaley.

The team doesn't use Spiller on 3rd downs because they can't, and Jackson's had only three 3rd down carries and is struggling more this season. They put the ball in Manuel's hands on 3rds, which I guess has to be done since Jackson's the only RB capable of doing anything on 3rds and he's not really playing that well, probably with age catching up to him.

Watkins is supposed to be able to take any short dunk pass and turn it into 20 yards but he hasn't done anything in two of three games. Williams is supposed to be a force in the red zone but we've been awful in the red zone generally speaking.